Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: MotorGuide Xi5 Vs Minn Kota Ultrex [Re: Tgh523] #12685865 03/23/18 02:24 PM
DFW-fisherman Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
I do not think there is a perfect TM. But, for me, the Xi5 is the best for me. I do not use the foot control hardly at all, but the anchor feature is the best!

I think probably the main thing is how you plan to use it most of the time. If you are fishing where the GPS module can not SEE the satellites, then the foot control is a must!

And if you plan to integrate the TM with your electronics - then you must use the one that is compatible with your units.

Good luck and have fun with the journey!!

Re: MotorGuide Xi5 Vs Minn Kota Ultrex [Re: The Crappie Guy] #12687104 03/24/18 12:30 PM
C.Seymour Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Originally Posted By: The Crappie Guy
I've had both, the Xi5 first, and now the Ultrex. I can only say that in my opinion there is no comparison. The Minn Kota Ultrex is THE BEST trolling motor that I have ever used...and I've used a bunch o them. The difference for me is in the way that you steer the motor. With the Xi5, the foot pedal might as well not be there as it's almost impossible to use. The Ultrex has the same foot pedal as the Fortrexx did, except it is electronically assisted making it as smooth as silk to use, and it fits perfectly into the foot pedal well in my new Lund Pro Bass 21. In my opinion the Ultrex is the best $2500 that you'll ever spend on your boat.

Agree 100%. Had the Xi5 first, now have the Ultrex. I would never go back to the xi5. Hated the foot pedal, but now I love the Ultrex foot pedal and can get back to fishing more places that you need a good foot pedal for. Spot lock is solid on both, but Ulrex is just better for me.

Re: MotorGuide Xi5 Vs Minn Kota Ultrex [Re: Tgh523] #12687406 03/24/18 05:10 PM
shut-up-and-fish Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru

Both are great motors and one needs to understand the way they fish to make a sound decision. I have had both motors and currently have the MK Ultrex as it fits my style of fishing better.

Here are the factors in making my sound decision to the MK Ulytrex.

1. The foot pedal on the Ultrex is much much faster in responsiveness over the MG Xi5. When fishing a field of timber responsiveness is important. Not only in the foot pedal but in raising the motor. If I need to in a pinch raise the motor I simply grab the cable and pull. In turning to avoid hitting a tree is also important as to not scaring fish and or causing damage to the motor. To me, the MG Xi5 foot pedal was like a sponge as where the MK Ultrex foot pedal is like simply controlled by your mind as it is that easy to steer. In short, I am less fatigued at the end of the day of fishing timber using the foot pedal on the MK Ultrex over the MG Xi5. This also applies to bridge fishing. Yes, timber and bridges can be fished successfully with the MG Xi5. I simply find it to be simplified with the MK Ultrex. They both do the same in open water as the anchor feature are equal in holding a position.

2. The MK Ultrex remote has a display that allows the operator to see the prop on-off as well as the speed of the prop. MG Xi5 remote does not have a display and you have to guess when your motor is on and how fast the speed is set.

3.The MG Xi5 motor overhangs the bow greater than the MK Ultrex. I would recommend the additional expense and get the LiftSaver TM mounting bracket to eliminate the possibilities of damage to the motor while unloading or loading the boat onto the trailer as well as when pulling up to a doc to pick up or tie up.
The Ultrex does not overhang the bow to be a concern of damage to the motor at all.

Note:
If you are wanting to network/link the trolling motor to your graph Minn Kota is to Humminbird as MotorGuide is to Lowrance. In order to have the MK Ultrex linked to a compatible Humminbird graph, you would need the i-Pilot-Link System and LakeMaster Charts Card. In order to have the MotorGuide Xi5 Pinpoint GPS networked to a compatible Lowrance graph, it will require the additional NMEA 2000 starter kit and Gateway Kit.

MotorGuied is cost-effective over Minn Kota as where Humminbird is cost-effective over Lowrance. With that being said, if all you are interested in is the "Spot-Lock/GPS" anchor feature you can simply mix and match to get the most cost-effective system for your budget. If the MG Xi5 fits your style of fishing as well as a Humminbird graph then that would be the way to go.

Here is a comparison between a MotorGuide with Pinpoint GPS and the Minn Kota i-Pilot link to Link or Network with a compatible graph. Pricing is retail....

MOTORGUIDE XI5 WIRELESS TROLLING MOTOR - FRESHWATER - SONAR/GPS - 80LBS-45"-24V
$1599.99 (before the $100 mail-in rebate offer through MG)

MOTORGUIDE PINPOINT GPS GATEWAY KIT
8M0092085
$249.99

MOTORGUIDE NMEA2000 STARTER KIT
8M0107522
$129.99

The total package before the compatible graph
$1,979.97 (add in $200 - $295 for the LiftSaver TM Bracket if required/needed)

MINN KOTA ULTREX 80/US2 TROLLING MOTOR W/I-PILOT LINK & BLUETOOTH - 24V-80LB-45"
$2649.99

LakeMaster Charts Card
$124.95

The total package before the compatible graph
$2,774.94

A $795.00 cost difference between the two, or $895.00 after the MG rebate.

Here is a comparison between a Humminbird and Lowrance. Pricing is retail....

HUMMINBIRD HELIX 12 CHIRP MEGA SI GPS G2N COMBO
410380-1
$2,499.99

Lowrance HDS-12 Carbon with C-Map Insight Chart and TotalScan Transom Mount Transducer
000-13689-001
$2,937.03 (Before the $400 mail-in rebate offer through Lowrance)

A $437.04 cost difference between the two, or $37.04 after the Lowrance rebate.

[Linked Image]
www.shut-up-and-fish.com
From *Sales, *Installation Services, and *On the shop floor Education & Instructional Tips
We have you covered here @ shut-up-and-fish for all of your Humminbird, Lowrance,
Garmin, Minn Kota & Motorguide needs plus much more - Call Now 972 822 9285
Re: MotorGuide Xi5 Vs Minn Kota Ultrex [Re: shut-up-and-fish] #12687448 03/24/18 05:59 PM
UJC Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
David, well documented/described.

I have one add.

"2. The MK Ultrex remote has a display that allows the operator to see the prop on-off as well as the speed of the prop. MG Xi5 remote does not have a display and you have to guess when your motor is on and how fast the speed is set."

It is true the MG does not have a remote with display. However, there are 4 status lights on the base of the MG that can easily be seen that provides power/prop/GPS/battery statuses. Since I had a Terrova for over 5 years, it took about 3 trips for me to get comfortable not having the display on the remote. I like the status indicator better on MG but I would still like to have had the display on the remote too because I'm not always at the bow of the boat. The status lights are well lit and of a size that can be easily seen fishing from the bow. I really like being able to see the GPS status so easy.

I get the speeds from the graphs on both units, bow and console. Plus I can see prop power on/off on the units as well as other stuff.

"Note:
If you are wanting to network/link the trolling motor to your graph Minn Kota is to Humminbird as MotorGuide is to Lowrance. In order to have the MK Ultrex linked to a compatible Humminbird graph, you would need the i-Pilot-Link System and LakeMaster Charts Card. In order to have the MotorGuide Xi5 Pinpoint GPS networked to a compatible Lowrance graph, it will require the additional NMEA 2000 starter kit and Gateway Kit."

The above Note from David was my major consideration for the Xi5. I have Lowrance and already had NEMA. If I had HB, I would have purchased MK. I seldom use a buoy and when I do, I usually find myself asking why I threw it out. If you don't think you'd use the 'GO TO' (for either TM) I think you're kidding yourself. I have many (think 1000s) of submerged timber when lakes are at pool that can't be seen. I simply click on the wpt and tell the MG 'GO TO' via the HDS. No more running the TM or big motor looking for it (and no buoy!). Example, when last on Fork, the water was very stained and at pool because of recent rains. I was able to easily find my stuff without having to disturb the fishing spot.

Just my .02 and a big thank you to David for the helpful description for TM decision selection points. Plus, he can get and install all of the above no matter the choice.

Re: MotorGuide Xi5 Vs Minn Kota Ultrex [Re: Tgh523] #12687493 03/24/18 06:54 PM
Txmedic033 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler

Re: MotorGuide Xi5 Vs Minn Kota Ultrex [Re: Tgh523] #12687540 03/24/18 08:15 PM
J
Jig Man Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
J
I like having a motor that is so quiet you can't here it running... grin But you can look at the motor itself and see whether its on or off... thumb

Life is Good..<><

Re: MotorGuide Xi5 Vs Minn Kota Ultrex [Re: Tgh523] #12687554 03/24/18 08:36 PM
K
kirbydog Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
K
Got a question-considering getting an ultrex and wondered how difficult it is to install
on your boat. Easy? Not so easy?

Re: MotorGuide Xi5 Vs Minn Kota Ultrex [Re: Tgh523] #12687706 03/24/18 11:26 PM
tmd11111 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Here I am clamoring about my X5i and my hand held remote quit on me today. Thankfully I had the foot control to use. Now its tinw to put that two year warranty to test.

Re: MotorGuide Xi5 Vs Minn Kota Ultrex [Re: kirbydog] #12687737 03/24/18 11:52 PM
B
Bobby Milam Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
Originally Posted By: kirbydog
Got a question-considering getting an ultrex and wondered how difficult it is to install

It's just a trolling motor plus it will have a gps puck that you have to wire and screw down. Really no different than most any other trolling motor. If you get the link then you'll need a cable to connect it to the fish finder or 5 port hub if you are linking multiple units. Maybe a 30 minute to an hour job with some basic hand tools.

Re: MotorGuide Xi5 Vs Minn Kota Ultrex [Re: tmd11111] #12687771 03/25/18 12:18 AM
Txmedic033 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted By: tmd11111
Here I am clamoring about my X5i and my hand held remote quit on me today. Thankfully I had the foot control to use. Now its tinw to put that two year warranty to test.

Did you check the batteries? MG has some of the best customer service I've dealt with. They will absolutely take care of you.

Re: MotorGuide Xi5 Vs Minn Kota Ultrex [Re: Txmedic033] #12687840 03/25/18 12:59 AM
tmd11111 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: Txmedic033

Did you check the batteries? MG has some of the best customer service I've dealt with. They will absolutely take care of you.

Yeah thats the first thing I did. Have a local shop here and spoke with them when I got off the lake. Their going to check it out Monday. It was working fine this morning then all of a sudden when I powered the tm with it it wouldnt shut off. Had to pull the plug on the tm. After that nothing, Even tried to pair it again and nothing. Thankfully the foot control works though.

Re: MotorGuide Xi5 Vs Minn Kota Ultrex [Re: tmd11111] #12688393 03/25/18 04:05 PM
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru

It isn't difficult and is helpful if you have a friend who can assist you. The second pair of arms/hands can be welcome.
Note: there is a separate puck that will need to be mounted/installed on the MK motors. It is Not a "GPS antenna". It is a directional sensor "Bluetooth Connectivity" allowing the motor to know positioning forward, backward, right, and left for the jogging feature.

Yeah thats the first thing I did. Have a local shop here and spoke with them when I got off the lake. Their going to check it out Monday. It was working fine this morning then all of a sudden when I powered the tm with it it wouldnt shut off. Had to pull the plug on the tm. After that nothing, Even tried to pair it again and nothing. Thankfully the foot control works though.

Try this:
Remove and connect the battery cables to the battery. Within ten seconds of connecting the battery cables to their terminals, press and hold the left arrow button and the right arrow button on the handheld remote simultaneously.
Listen for a multitone beep, which indicates that the receiver has stored the electronic serial number.

[Linked Image]
www.shut-up-and-fish.com
From *Sales, *Installation Services, and *On the shop floor Education & Instructional Tips
We have you covered here @ shut-up-and-fish for all of your Humminbird, Lowrance,
Re: MotorGuide Xi5 Vs Minn Kota Ultrex [Re: shut-up-and-fish] #12688411 03/25/18 04:20 PM
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
thumb My tired mind

It isn't difficult and is helpful if you have a friend who can assist you. The second pair of arms/hands can be welcome.
Note: there is a separate puck that will need to be mounted/installed on the MK motors. It is Not a "GPS antenna". It is a directional sensor "Bluetooth Connectivity" allowing the motor to know positioning forward, backward, right, and left for the jogging feature.

Try this:
Remove and connect the battery cables to the battery. Within ten seconds of connecting the battery cables to their terminals, press and hold the left arrow button and the right arrow button on the handheld remote simultaneously.
Listen for a multitone beep, which indicates that the receiver has stored the electronic serial number.

[Linked Image]
www.shut-up-and-fish.com
Re: MotorGuide Xi5 Vs Minn Kota Ultrex [Re: shut-up-and-fish] #12688461 03/25/18 05:34 PM
tmd11111 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: shut-up-and-fish
thumb My tired mind

Try this:

I tried that on the water and at home with 2 different sets of new batteries in the remote. Got nada

Re: MotorGuide Xi5 Vs Minn Kota Ultrex [Re: Tgh523] #12688647 03/25/18 08:30 PM
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru

It's a long shot but this worked for a customer of mine when his remote failed to respond. Have the motor turned on and disconnect the negative trolling motor cable only. Wait a minute and then reconnect the negative cable. Turn the motor back on and see if the remote will then sync to the motor. If not, contact MotorGuide tomorrow and they will get you a replacement remote out to you under warranty.

[Linked Image]
www.shut-up-and-fish.com
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide