Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Best crappie rod [Re: DEE CRAPPIE] #12687021 03/24/18 06:42 AM
scruboak Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Rhino cause I am old and contrary and they do not cost a tank of gas ...

Re: Best crappie rod [Re: DEE CRAPPIE] #12687092 03/24/18 12:16 PM
S
serj5150 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
S
In my professional opinion it's h2o express hands down!!!!...J/K...I like the sensitivity but has hardly any backbone. I really don't have a lot of experience with those other rods except for pro-angler and ACC Stix. But I'm pretty happy with their performance and you can't beat the prices which is one of the main things I look at. Happy Rod hunting Bud! thumb

Checkout my Youtube channel for tips and techniques on
crappie and catfish
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKsHpQ1vQP7HRC_sw0fXopQ?view_as=subscriber
Re: Best crappie rod [Re: DEE CRAPPIE] #12689673 03/26/18 04:01 PM
P
Pot licker Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
P
We use Zebco Hotcast fishing poles that are 4ft 6in medium to light and a Omego Z02 reel. They work great and aren't pricey. The fishing poles are pretty durable.

Texas Elite Angler 🎣
https://www.jiglyf.com
Re: Best crappie rod [Re: DEE CRAPPIE] #12689804 03/26/18 05:10 PM
Magged Out Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
My 8' Pro Angler, will haul in anything. If you don't horse a big fish.

Can dock shoot with it.

Love my 10' ACC crappie stix for hitting the banks

I'd Tack That!!
Re: Best crappie rod [Re: DEE CRAPPIE] #12689826 03/26/18 05:22 PM
J
JIM SR. Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
J
my best and/or favorite rods have become the 8-9' rods that are 'crappie rods' that are under $29-$39 dollars.
I usually get them at BPS or Cabelas. On Sale and Clearance are my favorite brands. I try to remember that about 95%
of the fish we catch are under two pounds. However last years occasional bass made for some very interesting catches...!!
I also keep the reels below $29, Okuma, Diawa, and Shimano have some great spinning reels in the 500-1000 models that I love for crappie fishing.
fish

Re: Best crappie rod [Re: Fishbonz] #12690010 03/26/18 07:30 PM
T
TreeBass Online Content
Lt. Dan
Online Content
Lt. Dan
T
Originally Posted By: Fishbonz
Originally Posted By: Ken Gaby
ProAngler - light, sensitive, good backbone, quality stainless guides, cork or foam handle, quality construction and tough, free shipping, unsurpassed customer service, and the price is right.

You can spend 2 or 3 or 4 times more for a rod, but you won't get 2 or 3 times more value for the money IMHO.
+1 thumb

THIS ^^

[Linked Image]

My success in life is measured by the number of hunting
and fishing stories that my kids can share with others

Sure-Life Products
Dobyns Rods
Holding The Line Guide Service
www.facebook.com/texasfishingforum
Re: Best crappie rod [Re: DEE CRAPPIE] #12690159 03/26/18 09:10 PM
J
J.P. Greeson Online Content
the janitor
Online Content
the janitor
J
Got a couple of these on the way. They should make decent crappie rods.

http://dobynsrods.com/rod/fr-661sf/

The solution to any problem - work, love, money, whatever - is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

[Linked Image]
Re: Best crappie rod [Re: J.P. Greeson] #12690594 03/27/18 01:42 AM
T
TroyKing Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted By: J.P. Greeson

I like to use lighter casting rods...I just picked up an old school Houston made Allstar, salty tail special, paired up with a gold Calcutta 50, it will sling an 8th oz crappie jig forever.

The driving force and secret desire of every bass fisherman, is to one day be a crappie fisherman............Could it be that the good Lord just smilies and looks the other way when a fisherman tells a lie?
Re: Best crappie rod [Re: TroyKing] #12690632 03/27/18 01:59 AM
C
canyoncreek06 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
C
Originally Posted By: TroyKing

I like to use lighter casting rods...I just picked up an old school Houston made Allstar, salty tail special, paired up with a gold Calcutta 50, it will sling an 8th oz crappie jig forever.

Yep, I have a couple of the old Houston made Allstars. One broken back special and one shrimp tail special. The shrimp tail special is the lighter action of the two I have a Citica 100DSV on it that I use for a slip cork rig. I took the broken back special in to have a couple eyes replaced because I was thinking about selling it or giving it to my brother down in Rockport who lost some of his stuff during the hurricane. But, my rod guy talked me in to keeping it since is was made in Houston and a great blank. My brother will get something else from the garage sale bin.

>E

>E

Columbus took a chance and he made it.
Re: Best crappie rod [Re: canyoncreek06] #12690731 03/27/18 03:20 AM
J
J.P. Greeson Online Content
the janitor
Online Content
the janitor
J
Originally Posted By: canyoncreek06

Yep, I have a couple of the old Houston made Allstars. One broken back special and one shrimp tail special. The shrimp tail special is the lighter action of the two I have a Citica 100DSV on it that I use for a slip cork rig. I took the broken back special in to have a couple eyes replaced because I was thinking about selling it or giving it to my brother down in Rockport who lost some of his stuff during the hurricane. But, my rod guy talked me in to keeping it since is was made in Houston and a great blank. My brother will get something else from the garage sale bin.

>E

>E

The Dobyns is a spinning rod.

The solution to any problem - work, love, money, whatever - is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

[Linked Image]
Re: Best crappie rod [Re: canyoncreek06] #12690887 03/27/18 11:49 AM
T
TroyKing Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted By: canyoncreek06

>E

>E
never heard of the broken back special...I do have a shrimp tail special tho...great rod as well.

The driving force and secret desire of every bass fisherman, is to one day be a crappie fisherman............Could it be that the good Lord just smilies and looks the other way when a fisherman tells a lie?
Re: Best crappie rod [Re: Gamblinman] #12690912 03/27/18 12:14 PM
C
crapicat Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: Gamblinman
G-Rod, light and sensitive, but tough. I'm replacing all my bass and crappie rods with them.

Hey, Gamblinman, if you got any black Boneheads 7 or 8 foot, or any of the red 10 foots, in crappie versions that you dont want or are upgrading, send me a pm, Im interested.

Re: Best crappie rod [Re: DEE CRAPPIE] #12690949 03/27/18 12:42 PM
Txmedic033 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Whatever I have in the boat. I like them all and at this rate will own them all. If I had to choose one it would be a 8 or 10' PA. You just can't beat them for the price and free shipping.

Re: Best crappie rod [Re: Ken Gaby] #12691034 03/27/18 01:23 PM
C
crapicat Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: Ken Gaby
ProAngler - light, sensitive, good backbone, quality stainless guides, cork or foam handle, quality construction and tough, free shipping, unsurpassed customer service, and the price is right.

You can spend 2 or 3 or 4 times more for a rod, but you won't get 2 or 3 times more value for the money IMHO.

Hey Ken, good to see you answered his question based on what he asked. Tbox and I discussed this issue over the weekend, and he seemed to have a similar assessment to you on the proanglers....Being a financial expert and a value shopper, I questioned myself on this argument on the ride home yesterday. Why would I spend more money on other rods, when I have proanglers sitting at home collecting dust?

What I see as being the difference in your opinion and mine on the price/value...I have boated infinitely more fish with the Boneheads, than I have with the pro-anglers. So, while on a dollar basis your argument seems to marfginally hold, until I compare it on a fish caught value basis, then it just doesnt hold true for me. In fact, when comparing the proanglers to the ACC, I prefer the ACC, despite the higher price...I was over trying out the 10.6 rear seat G-rods compared to the Rear seat ACC, because I was losing crappie with the ACC, that I never lost with the Boneheads and I wanted a better 11 foot rear seat, than what I had.

Now, I am not suggesting that the proanglers are not decent rods, they are, and I remember how sensitive they were the first time I used them. And I am not suggesting you have to spend more to get a decent rod, you dont...infact, I believe you can buy a decent crappie rod for less than 15 bucks, depending on your budget. But, given the amount of time I spend on the water, more than the average fishermen, not as much as the pros...I can boat substantially more fish with the rods I use, than with other rods, so on a rod cost per fish basis, my choice is clear. Anyway, I hope, that I have answered the mans question in relation to why someone who is as value conscious as myself, would spend more money on a Bonehead or the GRod, than a Proangler...I guess it depends on your situation, angling expertise, fishing style, etc.

Re: Best crappie rod [Re: J.P. Greeson] #12691097 03/27/18 01:54 PM
T
TreeBass Online Content
Lt. Dan
Online Content
Lt. Dan
T

The Dobyns is a spinning rod.

Interested to see how they do, Cdawg wont let me borrow his coalition spinning combo. hammer

[Linked Image]

My success in life is measured by the number of hunting
and fishing stories that my kids can share with others

Sure-Life Products
Dobyns Rods
Holding The Line Guide Service
www.facebook.com/texasfishingforum
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide