Re: Another Austin package bomb [Re: Dfitz] #12679676 03/19/18 04:47 PM
J
JackMason Online Happy
TFF Team Angler
Online Happy
TFF Team Angler
J
Originally Posted By: Fitz
I find it odd that this story is getting more publicity than houses blowing up from natural gas leaks because of crappy pipes that leak.

Was in the news everyday for at least two weeks.

Re: Another Austin package bomb [Re: Icepick] #12679691 03/19/18 04:53 PM
L
leethefishking Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
L
Fitz, the simple answer is that getting the word out could stop someone from opening the next package bomb. Well worth the inconvenience to news consumers.

Re: Another Austin package bomb [Re: Dfitz] #12679700 03/19/18 04:56 PM
C
CrankAddict Offline
The Panther
The Panther
C
Originally Posted By: Floon Swenson
I think it's a pretty big deal when you've got a bomber that has set off 4 bombs within 3 weeks in a city. I don't blame them for being on edge one bit.

How many injuries or deaths in Austin in the last 3 weeks from distracted drivers? What about broken bones from hiking in the Hill Country? You can see where I'm going with this... Why does this story warrant so much more attention in the form of news conferences, internet articles, news segments ect.

Don't misunderstand, I'm not diminishing the victims, every injury and death is tragic.
I'm just wondering why Law enforcement/Media want me to be more alert to package bombs on my doorstep than for me to be alert to other more common and preventable ways of injury and death. It does seem that the news conferences try to scare people into putting police on their speed dial.
Originally Posted By: GROD
A trip bomb adds a whole new demension to the situation. Imagine your kid running around in a public park and all of a sudden boom. Stuff like this will shut a city down until its handled and suspect is caught or better yet fast tracked to hell.

This sounds like doomsday.

The purpose of the media is not to keep you informed on important information in your world. Their purpose is to keep you frothed up and worried so you keep watching to find out the next thing to be worried about. It's also to divide the country and keep everyone fighting against each other. Common sense and logic aren't sexy and won't keep you watching so you won't see them on the news.

Last edited by CrankAddict; 03/19/18 04:56 PM.
Re: Another Austin package bomb [Re: Dfitz] #12679852 03/19/18 06:12 PM
Duck_Hunter Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
I think it's a pretty big deal when you've got a bomber that has set off 4 bombs within 3 weeks in a city. I don't blame them for being on edge one bit.

How many injuries or deaths in Austin in the last 3 weeks from distracted drivers? What about broken bones from hiking in the Hill Country? You can see where I'm going with this... Why does this story warrant so much more attention in the form of news conferences, internet articles, news segments ect.

Don't misunderstand, I'm not diminishing the victims, every injury and death is tragic.
I'm just wondering why Law enforcement/Media want me to be more alert to package bombs on my doorstep than for me to be alert to other more common and preventable ways of injury and death. It does seem that the news conferences try to scare people into putting police on their speed dial.
A trip bomb adds a whole new demension to the situation. Imagine your kid running around in a public park and all of a sudden boom. Stuff like this will shut a city down until its handled and suspect is caught or better yet fast tracked to hell.

To me, it comes down to control. There are inherent risks in driving a car (and cars these days offer protection with all of the technological advancements) but we accept the risk that there may be an accident. And in an accident, you have someone at fault that can be held accountable. Driving is ingrained in our society.

If there was a rabid cougar in the hill country ripping throats out of hikers, that would be one thing. Hikers slipping and falling is a risk undertaken when one decides to hike. And there are not that many hiking deaths in the hill country, plus there would be a shutdown of the trail and TPWD would go find the cougar.

Some psycho delivering package bombs at random houses is different, in my opinion. There is no control by the victim in that scenario. Just living in a house doesnt normally carry the risk of receiving an anonymous package bomb on your porch. It is unreasonable to assume the risk of riding your bike down a trail and tripping a bomb left by some psycho.

I realize what youre saying, but I disagree that the media attention this is receiving is overblown. Thankfully, anonymous and random package bombs are rare in this country, but when there are four in one short period of time, with no leads and an evolving MO, there is reason for covering it wire to wire.

When a plane is blown up, it gets more attention than Susie being distracted by a text message and running a red light. Neither death is more important than another, but there is blame to be placed.

[Linked Image]
Re: Another Austin package bomb [Re: Dfitz] #12679871 03/19/18 06:27 PM
F
Floon Swenson Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
F

I don't mean this in a snide manner, and I'm seriously asking because I'm trying to understand a viewpoint that differs from my own, but how many people would have to get blown up (or how many bombs need to be set) before this is worthy of getting a hefty dose of media attention?

I'd bet if given enough time without being caught, this individual could get to that number. In my mind, getting a serial bomber off your city's streets has to be just about at the top of the list of priorities.

Re: Another Austin package bomb [Re: Icepick] #12679876 03/19/18 06:29 PM
elcoyote, esq. Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Arent claymore mines illegal for the general public to use or possess?

Team wolfs

Originally Posted by Allison1
I had to perform. It took a minute to get it all in my mouth and another five to swallow it all.

Re: Another Austin package bomb [Re: elcoyote, esq.] #12680018 03/19/18 07:48 PM
aquaholic1822 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: elcoyote, esq.

Not in my America

[Linked Image]
Re: Another Austin package bomb [Re: Icepick] #12680024 03/19/18 07:51 PM
B
Bass_Bustin_Texan Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
They need to ban those items. bolt

You can avoid having ulcers by adapting to the situation: If you fall in the mud puddle, check your pockets for fish. ~Unknown

Open your eyes & look within, are you satisfied with the life youre living.

No matter how good or bad you have it, wake up each day thankful for your life. Someone somewhere else is desperately fighting for theirs.
Re: Another Austin package bomb [Re: Dfitz] #12680056 03/19/18 08:09 PM
Uncle Zeek Offline
aka "Dad"
aka "Dad"
Originally Posted By: Uncle Zeek
I find it odd that this story is getting more publicity than houses blowing up from natural gas leaks because of crappy pipes that leak.

Because deliberate setting of explosives is honestly more alarming and newsworthy than mere negligence.

To you personally it's more alarming? Or are you talking about how the general public reacts?

Well, both.

Personally, I have a fair amount of control over my household and immediate environs. I can make the rational decision to have a chimney sweep clean the chimney, or have someone clean the built-up lint out my dryer exhaust vent, or have the plumber inspect all the gas lines for my house. Those are all things I have control over, and they're not particularly alarming if I can take preventive measures for them.

I have very little control over whether or not some psycho wants to blow me up. But if I'm aware that someone is setting bombs, I can be alert for potential bombs, but otherwise there's very little I can to do prevent it.

The general public probably reacts in the same way, even if they don't analyze it quite so much.

"Decency is not news; it is buried in the obituaries --but it is a force stronger than crime" ~ Robert A. Heinlein
Artim Law Firm, PLLC
Estate planning & tax attorney
2250 Morriss Road, Suite 205, Flower Mound, Texas 75028
972-746-0758 mobile
zac@artimlegal.com
Re: Another Austin package bomb [Re: Icepick] #12680057 03/19/18 08:10 PM
V-Bottom Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Next thing we see, maybe, is a Self Driving Car loaded with explosives.

Texas Anglers Recognition Program
TPWD Official Weigh Station,77563
Coastal Bend Weigh Team, Cert. Weigh Master
USMC66'- www.troutsupport.com

Re: Another Austin package bomb [Re: Icepick] #12680062 03/19/18 08:11 PM
B
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
Drone with explosives.

You can avoid having ulcers by adapting to the situation: If you fall in the mud puddle, check your pockets for fish. ~Unknown

No matter how good or bad you have it, wake up each day thankful for your life. Someone somewhere else is desperately fighting for theirs.
Re: Another Austin package bomb [Re: Uncle Zeek] #12680063 03/19/18 08:12 PM
B
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B

Because deliberate setting of explosives is honestly more alarming and newsworthy than mere negligence.

To you personally it's more alarming? Or are you talking about how the general public reacts?

Well, both.

Personally, I have a fair amount of control over my household and immediate environs. I can make the rational decision to have a chimney sweep clean the chimney, or have someone clean the built-up lint out my dryer exhaust vent, or have the plumber inspect all the gas lines for my house. Those are all things I have control over, and they're not particularly alarming if I can take preventive measures for them.

I have very little control over whether or not some psycho wants to blow me up. But if I'm aware that someone is setting bombs, I can be alert for potential bombs, but otherwise there's very little I can to do prevent it.

The general public probably reacts in the same way, even if they don't analyze it quite so much.

Unless I quit driving, I can't get away from texters. They even made a law about it.

Re: Another Austin package bomb [Re: aquaholic1822] #12680064 03/19/18 08:13 PM
elcoyote, esq. Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: aquaholic1822

Not in my America

Im considering moving to your America, but first, a few questions:

1. Is Jay allowed there?
2. How does your America feel about bud light?
3. What is the cost of a pound of live crawfish in your America?

Team wolfs

Originally Posted by Allison1
I had to perform. It took a minute to get it all in my mouth and another five to swallow it all.

Re: Another Austin package bomb [Re: elcoyote, esq.] #12680071 03/19/18 08:15 PM
Uncle Zeek Offline
aka "Dad"
aka "Dad"
Originally Posted By: aquaholic1822

Not in my America

Im considering moving to your America, but first, a few questions:

1. Is Jay allowed there? Forget Jay, what about Dan?!
2. How does your America feel about bud light?GREAT TASTE, LESS FILLING!
3. What is the cost of a pound of live crawfish in your America? You gotta catch your own!
grin

"Decency is not news; it is buried in the obituaries --but it is a force stronger than crime" ~ Robert A. Heinlein
Artim Law Firm, PLLC
Estate planning & tax attorney
2250 Morriss Road, Suite 205, Flower Mound, Texas 75028
972-746-0758 mobile
zac@artimlegal.com
Re: Another Austin package bomb [Re: Icepick] #12680122 03/19/18 08:43 PM
B
Bass&More Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
noidea peep