Re: Ultrex Pro/Con [Re: ES1] #12604118 01/31/18 08:22 PM
S
SteezMacQueen Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted By: ES1
I have a question on my spot lock
I have watched a few videos and their unit does not seem to be working as hard to stay on spot lock as mine
Mine has to move a lot to stay in position
I do have a light boat 18 ft but I was wondering if I do not have something setup right
set boat scale to "-2".

....in addition to the "obstruction " as stated above.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Ultrex Pro/Con [Re: Tommy2268] #12604141 01/31/18 08:34 PM
krawlin 47 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
trying mine out for the first time this weekend!!! banana

Whether you think you can or you can't, you are probably right.
Re: Ultrex Pro/Con [Re: J.H.S.] #12604147 01/31/18 08:37 PM
S
SteezMacQueen Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted By: Josh Seale
Im personally not a huge fan of the power steering. I like the resistance. Good trolling motor but youre really paying an extra 1500 for spot lock is all. Anybody who can look at a graph and follow contour lines doesnt need it. I couldnt justify the extra money. It is a nice luxury to have if you have the money, but it isnt essential to catching fish. If you have the money buy one. If not, it isnt worth the hassle. Just my opinion. Im a nobody.

If you don't have one, how can you comment on it?

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Ultrex Pro/Con [Re: SteezMacQueen] #12604237 01/31/18 09:49 PM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: SteezMacQueen
Im personally not a huge fan of the power steering. I like the resistance. Good trolling motor but youre really paying an extra 1500 for spot lock is all. Anybody who can look at a graph and follow contour lines doesnt need it. I couldnt justify the extra money. It is a nice luxury to have if you have the money, but it isnt essential to catching fish. If you have the money buy one. If not, it isnt worth the hassle. Just my opinion. Im a nobody.

Boats, motors, rods and reels and lures are not essential to catching fish either but they do help and make fishing more pleasurable. I bought what I could afford so I bought a Ultrex and it sure made fishing a lot easier. Haven't caught a new state record with it yet but I ain't through fishing yet either.

I am a Senager. (Senior teenager) I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, only 50 years later. I get an allowance every month. I have PU truck and a bass boat, I am blessed.
Conscience never acquits, it either accuses or excuses.
Re: Ultrex Pro/Con [Re: SteezMacQueen] #12604268 01/31/18 10:17 PM
Der Vorsteher Online Shocked
TFF Guru
Online Shocked
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: aggieangler03
So far the only con is the cost. But I sold my power poles and had $50 left over. I figure I have an infinite depth power pole now.
sort of.....but you can't beach the boat with an Ultrex.....well..you SHOULDNT beach the boat with it. I guess you could.

I was one of the first guys to buy an Ultrex....been saving up for a set of power poles ever since. These things all have a place. I want poles by spawn. .....and a push pole.

I just installed two Kingpin Shallow Water Anchors on my boat. I bought the out board mounts and mounted them to it. I have the 10 foot polls that unscrew in the middle and I can use it at both 5 feet and 10 feet. They are very high quality and much cheaper. I think with the everything I was around $500 total and you can install them yourself very easily. I have some money Im saving up to purchase the Ultrex. I figured Id spend the money on the Ultrex and save on the "poor man" power poles instead of the other way around.

Team Wolfs
Re: Ultrex Pro/Con [Re: SteezMacQueen] #12604301 01/31/18 10:36 PM
J
J.H.S. Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J

Because I have used one on several occasions that my buddy owns and it hasnt swayed me to buy one. There is essentially nothing different other than spot lock and power steering (which I didnt care for). I couldnt justify spending that kind of money when Im perfectly capable of throwing out a little yellow buoy and staying on a spot to catch the exact same fish. Its not near as useful to me as a good graph. So many people on here are basically saying without it you cant catch fish and Im here to provide my perspective and opinion. I wouldnt buy one because I havent seen it out anymore fish in the boat. If you have the money and feel like you need the latest and greatest and all that. Then by all means. Get one. I however havent seen the benefit in the times Ive operated one.

Live Daringly, Boldy, and Fearlessly....Embrace the Challenge So That You May Feel the Exhiliration of Victory.

Re: Ultrex Pro/Con [Re: J.H.S.] #12604451 02/01/18 12:37 AM
S
SteezMacQueen Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
S

Because I have used one on several occasions that my buddy owns and it hasnt swayed me to buy one. There is essentially nothing different other than spot lock and power steering (which I didnt care for). I couldnt justify spending that kind of money when Im perfectly capable of throwing out a little yellow buoy and staying on a spot to catch the exact same fish. Its not near as useful to me as a good graph. So many people on here are basically saying without it you cant catch fish and Im here to provide my perspective and opinion. I wouldnt buy one because I havent seen it out anymore fish in the boat. If you have the money and feel like you need the latest and greatest and all that. Then by all means. Get one. I however havent seen the benefit in the times Ive operated one.

You are a rare guy, for sure.

In fact, you are the first to use one and actually say you don't think it's beneficial over a standard trolling motor. There are several reasons for choosing an Ultrex over a Fortrex. But, if you are good without one, then you're good without one. It also means there's one less person on the waiting list for the guys waiting on one.

What kind of boat do you have?

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Ultrex Pro/Con [Re: SteezMacQueen] #12604494 02/01/18 01:01 AM
J
J.H.S. Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J

You are a rare guy, for sure.

In fact, you are the first to use one and actually say you don't think it's beneficial over a standard trolling motor. There are several reasons for choosing an Ultrex over a Fortrex. But, if you are good without one, then you're good without one. It also means there's one less person on the waiting list for the guys waiting on one.

What kind of boat do you have?

Im far from rare. Im just the only one dumb enough to post on here that Im not impressed with it. I know plenty of folks who dont care for the power steering and they cant justify the price simply for the spot lock. Then again most of the people i fish around dont need the latest and greatest equipment. A good graph is more essential to my success than a trolling motor. If I need to stay on a deep spot they make 1.50 buoys for that.

And a TR 21x.

Live Daringly, Boldy, and Fearlessly....Embrace the Challenge So That You May Feel the Exhiliration of Victory.

Re: Ultrex Pro/Con [Re: Tommy2268] #12604534 02/01/18 01:25 AM
S
SteezMacQueen Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
S
I don't think your dumb for voicing your opinion. You like what ya like. That's good that you say it and back it up with reasoning.

I think a 21 ft boat is a waste of money for me, IMO. It's not stupid to own one, just not needed. The pros fished out of my class boat for years. 19ft Skeeter with a 150.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Ultrex Pro/Con [Re: SteezMacQueen] #12604554 02/01/18 01:32 AM
J
J.H.S. Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
I don't think your dumb for voicing your opinion. You like what ya like. That's good that you say it and back it up with reasoning.

I think a 21 ft boat is a waste of money for me, IMO. It's not stupid to own one, just not needed. The pros fished out of my class boat for years. 19ft Skeeter with a 150.

And I bet you catch just as many out of a 19 as others do with a 21. Its all about perspective. If you think an ultrex ups your catch. Then it will because you have confidence. Does it really? Who knows. For me I didnt see enough of an advantage. Doesnt make me right or wrong. Just means I dont need one to catch fish.

Re: Ultrex Pro/Con [Re: J.H.S.] #12604558 02/01/18 01:34 AM
S
SteezMacQueen Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
S

And I bet you catch just as many out of a 19 as others do with a 21. Its all about perspective. If you think an ultrex ups your catch. Then it will because you have confidence. Does it really? Who knows. For me I didnt see enough of an advantage. Doesnt make me right or wrong. Just means I dont need one to catch fish.

I agree.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Ultrex Pro/Con [Re: Tommy2268] #12604872 02/01/18 05:15 AM
G
G Pope Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
G
Major Con.
I am unable to sell my 9 mo old forttrex for a reasonable price. Going to have to south of 8 to get a bite. mad mad

Re: Ultrex Pro/Con [Re: Tommy2268] #12604931 02/01/18 11:54 AM
P
PettyBigBass Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
P
I have the ultera and have only used it a few times. I rather fish from a John boat with this trolling than a $100k boat without it. The only disadvantage I have seen so far is the unit sticks off the front of the boat which makes it easy to ram into things like boat slips. I actually broke mine first time out when my fly by wire did not go in reverse and I slammed into a dock.

Other than that, it's a dream for fishing in the West Texas wind. I fished a north bank the other day with 25-30mph winds, with spot lock on, on from the back of the boat for 3 hours.. I just would not have fished ithat spot with a manual motor. And I caught fish! What a game changer!

They tell me Ultera is easy to break compared to ultrex but I had already purchased it. I love to sit at the helm, deploy and command to go to a waypoint as I rig things. Real time saver.

Being successful is achieving that which you set out to accomplish!
Re: Ultrex Pro/Con [Re: Tommy2268] #12604933 02/01/18 11:58 AM
P
PettyBigBass Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
P
I guess a better way to say it is, fishing in the wind is quite frustrating . This trolling motor removes most of those frustrations and allows you to just fish and enjoy it. Life is just better without those frustrations .

Being successful is achieving that which you set out to accomplish!
Re: Ultrex Pro/Con [Re: Tommy2268] #12604966 02/01/18 12:41 PM
GODSDOZER Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
About 12 years ago I got the Terrova, I remember all the ole timers (cable steer guys) saying how it was a waste of money and couldn't be a "game changer" haha. Now that the ultrex is out people act like its new technology. its really funny. kind of reminds me when I got the Verado in 2005 and people were saying how much they sucked because they weighed 100 lbs more than a 2 stroke all the while they were hanging powerpoles, pumps, carrying 200 lbs of fishing tackle 78 lbs group 31 agms ect while I was cruising around with power steering, fly by wire electric shift, ultra quiet ect. and had spot lock years ago smile

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide