Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Ultrex Pro/Con [Re: Tommy2268] #12603479 01/31/18 12:49 PM
S
skeeter17584 Offline
Angler
Angler
S
I got one in Feb 2016 when they were first available in Texas. Had problems with the momentary on reed switch sliding needing adjustment for contact with switch. Then had problems with the spot lock and cruise control not powering on I put a cable tie around the reed switch and corrected that problem. Minn Kota told me to take to service dealer for spot lock/cruise problem. Under warranty for 2 years. Boerne Marine was closest to me. Dropped it off at 0830 for repair and got called at 10:30 it was repaired. They found a flat spot on the armature so replaced with a new one. All within 2 hours. The most awesome trolling motor I have ever used! It does stir up mud if spot locked on shallow bedding fish by having to run to maintain spot lock. Spot lock, cruise control and follow the contour is super feature!!

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Ultrex Pro/Con [Re: Tommy2268] #12603624 01/31/18 02:51 PM
E
ES1 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
E
I have a question on my spot lock
I have watched a few videos and their unit does not seem to be working as hard to stay on spot lock as mine
Mine has to move a lot to stay in position
I do have a light boat 18 ft but I was wondering if I do not have something setup right

Re: Ultrex Pro/Con [Re: Tommy2268] #12603653 01/31/18 03:12 PM
J
Jeff From Iowa Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
No negatives.

Some listed above are the shaft which is lifetime guaranteed and has been changed from the first few released.

The pedal sensitivity can be adjusted some by adjusting the cable tensioner at the front of the pedal. I tightened Mine up so its not so easy to move.

To the guy w spot lock issues did you do the circles to calibrate. Do the again In high power and as small as possible I just Get it going pivoting the nose around the tail then hit start.

Re: Ultrex Pro/Con [Re: Tommy2268] #12603671 01/31/18 03:23 PM
Cameron Online Sick
TFF Guru
Online Sick
TFF Guru
I have had problems with mine. If I am using spot lock and it turns all the way to the right it comes off spot lock and disables the remote, have to move the foot pedal to make the remote work...about once every trip it will randomly turn north FULL blast...nearly threw me out of the boat a few nights ago.

Re: Ultrex Pro/Con [Re: Cameron] #12603698 01/31/18 03:32 PM
Kay Dyson Offline
HOT Mess!!!
HOT Mess!!!
Originally Posted By: Cameron
I have had problems with mine. If I am using spot lock and it turns all the way to the right it comes off spot lock and disables the remote, have to move the foot pedal to make the remote work...about once every trip it will randomly turn north FULL blast...nearly threw me out of the boat a few nights ago.

Humm. Did you calibrate it, ask Slade about that Cam, he got Sinkeys dialed in..spin 3 circles.

Re: Ultrex Pro/Con [Re: Tommy2268] #12603729 01/31/18 03:48 PM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
I have a habit of reading the manuals and trying my best to follow the instructions as to how to operate my electronics which recently have been a new Ultrex and a new Helix 10. The Ultrex is doing great and I love all the features. Helix is working great too but I needed a little help understanding the terminology which I got from David Edison at Shut-Up-And-Fish. The dude is magic with electronics. The habit of reading the manual and following instructions has served me well with the bible too but there again I need help with the terminology sometime. It's still a work in progress but I think I'm gonna be able to make it work. thumb

I am a Senager. (Senior teenager) I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, only 50 years later. I get an allowance every month. I have PU truck and a bass boat, I am blessed.
Conscience never acquits, it either accuses or excuses.
Re: Ultrex Pro/Con [Re: SteezMacQueen] #12603738 01/31/18 04:01 PM
M
Matt Wilson Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
Originally Posted By: SteezMacQueen
Originally Posted By: bigfish76
Broken shaft. Mine is getting replaced now. No give except in the shaft. Mine broke on a tree in 24 foot of water. I didnt pay attention while fishing a c-rig and drifted into the tree and the shaft broke. I still think it is the best trolling motor. I now have a fortrex for stumpy lakes too easy to change between trolling motors.
yours must have had a flaw. I, honestly, have rammed into rip rap and hit dozens of trees at speed 10. Never an issue. Also, I'm on my 4th weedless wedge2 prop. Lots of scratches on the housing, but nothing more than cosmetics.

Same for me, I hit a stump on fork the other day so hard I was sure it was gonna break, barley scratched it.
I still have my fortrex as a backup but I do not expect Ill need it very often.

Re: Ultrex Pro/Con [Re: Cameron] #12603774 01/31/18 04:26 PM
G
G Rod Offline
Angler
Angler
G

Check under the front of the foot pedal. I understand there were a few that had a cable tie turned upside down that blocks the foot petal from going full stop. That interfers with the free movement and will take it out of spotlock. Any interference with the pedal will take it out of spotlock.

2016 Basscat Cougar FTD, 250 Mercury
www.bcfw.org Bass Club of Fort Worth
Re: Ultrex Pro/Con [Re: i-Fish] #12603867 01/31/18 05:37 PM
E
ezbassin Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
E
Originally Posted By: i-Fish
The spot lock can get a little off at times AND I wish it had the capability of holding the nose of the boat in the same direction when hitting spot lock instead of letting the wind swing your back end around and having to fish from the rear. But those are my only negatives and I havent thought twice about buying mine. Worth every penny for those that like to fish off shore and re-tie.

Install a second one on the rear of the boat and spot lock the boat exactly how you want it, front and rear.

Last edited by ezbassin; 01/31/18 05:37 PM.
Re: Ultrex Pro/Con [Re: ES1] #12603872 01/31/18 05:38 PM
JacksonBean Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: ES1
I have a question on my spot lock
I have watched a few videos and their unit does not seem to be working as hard to stay on spot lock as mine
Mine has to move a lot to stay in position
I do have a light boat 18 ft but I was wondering if I do not have something setup right

Mine too.... if there's not much wind it's going crazy up there. Shockingly all of that hasn't zapped my batteries so it must be pretty efficient.

[Linked Image]
Re: Ultrex Pro/Con [Re: Tommy2268] #12603892 01/31/18 05:49 PM
J
J.H.S. Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
J
Im personally not a huge fan of the power steering. I like the resistance. Good trolling motor but youre really paying an extra 1500 for spot lock is all. Anybody who can look at a graph and follow contour lines doesnt need it. I couldnt justify the extra money. It is a nice luxury to have if you have the money, but it isnt essential to catching fish. If you have the money buy one. If not, it isnt worth the hassle. Just my opinion. Im a nobody.

Last edited by Josh Seale; 01/31/18 06:00 PM.

Live Daringly, Boldy, and Fearlessly....Embrace the Challenge So That You May Feel the Exhiliration of Victory.

Re: Ultrex Pro/Con [Re: Tommy2268] #12603956 01/31/18 06:28 PM
White Oak Skeeter Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
I had a Triton with a new Fortrex up until a month ago. Bought a Skeeter and added the Ultrex and an additional pole. I was told by everyone how I HAD to have an Ultrex. that it would change my life in every way. Yeah right! Gotta admit, it's amazing! Where bass boats ARE luxuries already, thought if I was going to drop $60,000 on a Skeeter, might as well suck it up and get the additional pole and the Ultrex. I love having two poles. BUT, the Ultrex is my favorite toy I have ever had on a boat. I'd rather have the Ultrex than graphs almost. If you can afford it, get the Ultrex. You won't look back and wish!!

Only con to me is the reaction of the power steering. If you're not careful, you can sling yourself out of the boat. But, I'm old and I fall around already. Might just be me!

Re: Ultrex Pro/Con [Re: White Oak Skeeter] #12603980 01/31/18 06:40 PM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: BWBForney
I had a Triton with a new Fortrex up until a month ago. Bought a Skeeter and added the Ultrex and an additional pole. I was told by everyone how I HAD to have an Ultrex. that it would change my life in every way. Yeah right! Gotta admit, it's amazing! Where bass boats ARE luxuries already, thought if I was going to drop $60,000 on a Skeeter, might as well suck it up and get the additional pole and the Ultrex. I love having two poles. BUT, the Ultrex is my favorite toy I have ever had on a boat. I'd rather have the Ultrex than graphs almost. If you can afford it, get the Ultrex. You won't look back and wish!!

Only con to me is the reaction of the power steering. If you're not careful, you can sling yourself out of the boat. But, I'm old and I fall around already. Might just be me!

BWB, you probably already know this but just in case, you can adjust the tension on the peddle ( too loose ) with the Phillips screw on the front and bottom of foot control. If you're balancing yourself on one foot and have the other on the foot control it's easy to get off balance especially in windy conditions and traversing stump fields. The power steering does take a little getting use to. Might try tightening the screw a bit making the peddle a little harder to move heel to toe. That power steering is a hoot but it can at times cause unbalance in certain conditions. Congrats on the new boat.

I am a Senager. (Senior teenager) I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, only 50 years later. I get an allowance every month. I have PU truck and a bass boat, I am blessed.
Conscience never acquits, it either accuses or excuses.
Re: Ultrex Pro/Con [Re: Tommy2268] #12604024 01/31/18 07:00 PM
S
Shallow Waters Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
I love my Ultrex so much I would let it sleep with my wife it asked me to.

Only downside I have found is that too many other people are getting them.

Re: Ultrex Pro/Con [Re: Cameron] #12604027 01/31/18 07:01 PM
S
Shallow Waters Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S

Sounds like you have an obstruction. The motor shuts off as a precaution if it cant move the way it wants to. Check it the peddle hits anything when you turn it full north manually.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide