Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Sam Rayburn Stumps? [Re: FXfromTx] #12570067 01/09/18 04:55 AM
KenTx1962 Offline
Old Careful Dude
Old Careful Dude
Thanks for the mentions of my videos...I hit one Saturday in the BFL running thru the forest, where i tell everyone not to run. Hit just under and behind me, had it trimmed and jack plate all the way up. I was convinced when I pulled it out of the water there would be serious glass damage but fortunately none. I knew better than to run what I ran...but I ran it!

www.KenSmithfishing.com
Fishing Videos https://bit.ly/3ip0TPz
10% off 6th Sense 6thsensefishing.com/ &
www.WaterLandco.com with code Ken10
Support my channel shopping Tackle Warehouse with this link http://bit.ly/2S4dFY6
Mercury Marine Pro Staff
Seaguar Line http://bit.ly/38QpBDm

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Sam Rayburn Stumps? [Re: KenTx1962] #12570403 01/09/18 02:51 PM
W
WAWI Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
W
Originally Posted By: KenTx1962
Thanks for the mentions of my videos...I hit one Saturday in the BFL running thru the forest, where i tell everyone not to run. Hit just under and behind me, had it trimmed and jack plate all the way up. I was convinced when I pulled it out of the water there would be serious glass damage but fortunately none. I knew better than to run what I ran...but I ran it!

They should make your running videos a sticky. Really good stuff.

Re: Sam Rayburn Stumps? [Re: FXfromTx] #12570524 01/09/18 04:03 PM
Walls Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
There was a Skeeter on Sunday going south that ran right through the line of trees in front of Veach and over the shallow point just south of there through about a couple of feet of water at most. I was running the same direction a few hundred yards west of him on LV boat lane and was just waiting for it to happen. Fortunately nothing did. Guess he lives a better life than me. It's a dangerous lake for sure, but some folks are just lucky.

Re: Sam Rayburn Stumps? [Re: FXfromTx] #12570956 01/09/18 07:18 PM
B
BigCrank+1 Offline
Angler
Angler
B
At what level should I stop running to the Ayish Bridge?

Hooksets are free!
Certified bent pole hunter!
Re: Sam Rayburn Stumps? [Re: BigCrank+1] #12571099 01/09/18 08:36 PM
T
the skipper Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: BigCrank+1

Unless you know the run you should have quit a long time ago. Once you turn north around Miller's flats it's no different than toledo. People run over it all the time which when it's full it isn't that bad but there are LOTS of stumps right at the water line right now. It gets especially bad once it opens back up past the 2 clay points. The boat lane chip only goes so far and much farther you basically have to run the channel which isn't a boat wide up by the bridge.

Re: Sam Rayburn Stumps? [Re: BigCrank+1] #12571449 01/10/18 12:59 AM
I
Igofish2 Offline
Angler
Angler
I
Originally Posted By: BigCrank+1

I wouldn't make that run unless there was 10 feet of water over highway 83.

Re: Sam Rayburn Stumps? [Re: dk2429] #12571788 01/10/18 04:16 AM
lamoon78 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted By: dk2429
I've only been on Rayburn a few times, recent one being a few weeks ago.. I've never hit a stump/shallow water anywhere. Last week we fished all over the place, mostly down toward twin dikes. I decided to do some exploring and ran about halfway up the lake to the north and basically just stayed in the middle wheres the 50ft+ of water and never hit anything or saw anything to hit.. Also trailered to Jackson Hill and ran down to the 147 bridge. There were a lot of stumps up on the end, but I just used some common sense and made sure I stayed in deep water away from the visible stump fields. No issues.

I think the closest I got to screwing up was going from Cassle Boykin to 147.. I wasn't paying attention to my chart, and apparently there's a big shallow point that comes off the bank a good ways. I went from like 20ft to 8ft pretty quick but dropped back down. Now one of the first times to Rayburn a buddy and I stayed up at Hanks Creek.. We fished all that area and up to even farther north real well, and never had any issues.. We just used common sense and stayed deep and watched for stumps.

This doesn't mean don't be cautious on where you are going.. I guess I'm just a lucky person, because I've never had issues hitting anything on that lake. Take advice from the guys that fish this lake daily.. This is just my experience
Originally Posted By: dk2429
I've only been on Rayburn a few times, recent one being a few weeks ago.. I've never hit a stump/shallow water anywhere. Last week we fished all over the place, mostly down toward twin dikes. I decided to do some exploring and ran about halfway up the lake to the north and basically just stayed in the middle wheres the 50ft+ of water and never hit anything or saw anything to hit.. Also trailered to Jackson Hill and ran down to the 147 bridge. There were a lot of stumps up on the end, but I just used some common sense and made sure I stayed in deep water away from the visible stump fields. No issues.

I think the closest I got to screwing up was going from Cassle Boykin to 147.. I wasn't paying attention to my chart, and apparently there's a big shallow point that comes off the bank a good ways. I went from like 20ft to 8ft pretty quick but dropped back down. Now one of the first times to Rayburn a buddy and I stayed up at Hanks Creek.. We fished all that area and up to even farther north real well, and never had any issues.. We just used common sense and stayed deep and watched for stumps.

This doesn't mean don't be cautious on where you are going.. I guess I'm just a lucky person, because I've never had issues hitting anything on that lake. Take advice from the guys that fish this lake daily.. This is just my experience
You keep thinking like that Rayburn is going to get you eventually I promise.

Re: Sam Rayburn Stumps? [Re: ToledoBassin] #12572020 01/10/18 02:20 PM
Phoenix_Ed Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: ToledoBassin
Originally Posted By: 721Phoenix
I was running up towards Veach Friday and just about plowed one south of there, I will pull the location off of my depth finder and post it. Sumbitch is about 18" around and same distance out of the water.

Sounds like the one that's about 4-5 hundred yards out from the mouth of Coleman.

I think you are correct. Scared the [censored] out of me. If there was any chop on the water it would be easy to miss seeing.

Wishin I was fishin!! ..............>(((//*>
2021 Phoenix 819 - Mercury 200 4 Stroke - Ultrex
Her name is Novia Número Cinco.
Humminbird Helix 10 Mega DI - Helix 12 Mega SI - Mega 360
PB Largemouth - 9.51 - Toledo Bend - March 2014
Re: Sam Rayburn Stumps? [Re: FXfromTx] #12572226 01/10/18 04:38 PM
S
StormVet Offline
Angler
Angler
S
About the boat lanes. Ive got one and for the life of me it wa t download on my humi. Is there someone on here that can talk me threw it. Or have a 1 point lesson on it?

Re: Sam Rayburn Stumps? [Re: StormVet] #12572293 01/10/18 05:17 PM
P
PowPowOl'Son Offline
Angler
Angler
P
Originally Posted By: StormVet
About the boat lanes. Ive got one and for the life of me it wa t download on my humi. Is there someone on here that can talk me threw it. Or have a 1 point lesson on it?

All you need to do is learn to import a file.

Go to YouTube and search for importing waypoint file humminbird. This should get you thru it.

Re: Sam Rayburn Stumps? [Re: StormVet] #12572320 01/10/18 05:36 PM
T
the skipper Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: StormVet

On the older birds you had to go in the waypoint management and edit the tracks to a color you can see

Re: Sam Rayburn Stumps? [Re: Phoenix_Ed] #12572666 01/10/18 08:58 PM
GeoFisher Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: ToledoBassin
I was running up towards Veach Friday and just about plowed one south of there, I will pull the location off of my depth finder and post it. Sumbitch is about 18" around and same distance out of the water.

Sounds like the one that's about 4-5 hundred yards out from the mouth of Coleman.

I think you are correct. Scared the [censored] out of me. If there was any chop on the water it would be easy to miss seeing.

Saw that one for the first time last year in the Sealy Splash. That SOB is a widowmaker for sure. Pulled right up next to it to mark it and it is as ugly as the location it is sitting in.

Everything on your bass boat is broken......You just don't know it yet.
Re: Sam Rayburn Stumps? [Re: FXfromTx] #12573316 01/11/18 06:28 AM
D
dshaw937 Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
D
When running north of Rayburn Park stay on the left or right side. Once you get north as far as Veach or caney pay special attention as the Black Forest runs between them. It runs almost to Calhoun Point. There is a cut from Calhoun to Harvey boat ramp but if you are unfamiliar do not try to cut across. Once you get North of 147 there are scattered trees everywhere that if you didnt mark while lake was low then good luck. Once you get around the old town of Warsaw (big hump north of 147) there is an unmarked boat lane that will run you to hanks. Be careful if you do not know this lake. It looks open but Ive been running it for 30 years and it still scares the heck out of me because I know whats there.

Re: Sam Rayburn Stumps? [Re: FXfromTx] #12583247 01/17/18 09:59 PM
L
LittleGazoo Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
L
Lake Fork guides and others posted so that there was a list of over 40 stump locations near boat runs.

Hope maybe someone brakes the ice and some GPS coordinates start being posted. . .

Last edited by LittleGazoo; 01/18/18 12:13 AM.
Re: Sam Rayburn Stumps? [Re: FXfromTx] #12583409 01/17/18 11:43 PM
B
Big Ned Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
Rayburn has widow makers scattered all over it if you are not familiar with the lake at lower water levels. I saw a post where someone was running to the Ayish bayou bridge man you either have a great or lucky trail, extremely familiar with the lake, or just plain lucky. North of Millers is risky even for guys with trails, I have run this area for years and like others it scares the h*** out of me every time I see someone on plane heading that way. There are some stumps between Buck Bay and Farmers in the middle of the lake that I have not seen mentioned. Bass Champs guys and any others fishing Rayburn just need to be careful and don't run areas you are not familiar with. The stump out from Coleman is definitely going to get someone eventually as is the one entering five fingers and it was mentioned earlier but it is not in a good spot. Safe travels and good fishing to all.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide