Forums59
Topics1,039,391
Posts13,963,787
Members144,202
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Trailering at Tournaments and other rules for safety [Re: Jarrett Latta] #12570651 01/09/18 05:06 PM
T
Txduckhunter Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted By: Jaret Latta
I think our local big trails do a good job at trailering already. Trailering isn't going to stop a hero from crossing the lake to his hot spot if there is no close ramp to use. What happens when they trailer and the same guy makes a bad decision and has an accident?

Then we will be like the folks across the pond and all be fishing our tourneys from the bank.........

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Trailering at Tournaments and other rules for safety [Re: JeffLStevens] #12570679 01/09/18 05:17 PM
D
DuctsZX250 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
D
accident
ˈaksədənt/
noun
noun: accident; plural noun: accidents

an unfortunate incident that happens unexpectedly and unintentionally, typically resulting in damage or injury.
"he had an accident at the factory"

They happen and will always happen!

Re: Trailering at Tournaments and other rules for safety [Re: JeffLStevens] #12570707 01/09/18 05:28 PM
Chris B Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
The problem with always saying it on the angler to make the decision on when to run across the lake is that a lot of us tend to push it to and past our limits. We see one boat go for it and we all try it. I've gotten myself caught in some water I shouldn't have several times. I've come to appreciate when tournament directors air on the side of caution. I've been in tournaments were multiple boats were sunk proving how macho we are. It's just not worth it to me anymore.

[Linked Image]
I hate photobucket.
Re: Trailering at Tournaments and other rules for safety [Re: JeffLStevens] #12570713 01/09/18 05:30 PM
F
Fishspanker Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
F
Mandatory personal locator beacon. $250 expense every 5 years. That way they can send a signal out in any life threatening situation.

The Sheep who only fears the Wolf is eaten by the Shepherd.
Re: Trailering at Tournaments and other rules for safety [Re: JeffLStevens] #12570724 01/09/18 05:34 PM
Mark Perry Online Content
Super Freak
Online Content
Super Freak
What happened last week was tragic. I think most would agree it was. I hate that it happened and a life was lost was lost,I hate it for his family, his friends, the boater and even for FLW as well. That being said there are literally tens of thousands tournaments per year that go off with no incidents like that. Personally I would not like to see everything changed over what happened. At the end of the day everyone is responsible for the choices they make. If anything maybe start allowing refunds to guys that decide fishing in really high winds etc is not for them that day. Some guys will fish just so they are not out their entry fee.

Re: Trailering at Tournaments and other rules for safety [Re: JeffLStevens] #12570754 01/09/18 05:45 PM
W
WAWI Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
W
The interesting thing here is the pro/co deal. Clearly once under way the co has no say. If the co refuses to go then the pro is out of the field. Of course the co has the option to not participate but may not know the route or even areas the pro is planning on running to. Literally the co puts his life on the hands of the boater. Will be interesting to watch how this deal plays out.

Re: Trailering at Tournaments and other rules for safety [Re: Chris B] #12570770 01/09/18 05:50 PM
buda13 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: Chris B
The problem with always saying it on the angler to make the decision on when to run across the lake is that a lot of us tend to push it to and past our limits. We see one boat go for it and we all try it. I've gotten myself caught in some water I shouldn't have several times. I've come to appreciate when tournament directors air on the side of caution. I've been in tournaments were multiple boats were sunk proving how macho we are. It's just not worth it to me anymore.

Good point... but just because it's not worth it to you anymore does not mean that decision you made should be forced on others. In many cases the tournament trails insurance will not cover accidents that occur if a lake wind advisory was forecasted in advance or boats launch while there is an active wind advisory. Will be interesting to see who all gets sued when this deal shakes out and how Tournament organizers respond.

Re: Trailering at Tournaments and other rules for safety [Re: WAWI] #12570988 01/09/18 07:37 PM
SAKS Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
You would have the exact same option to trailer like anyone else. If you chose not to do so and got beat by someone who did then you chose the wrong water to fish just like any other loss. Trailering is nothing new but for some reason it seems like people are viewing it as cheating. Now I don't care one way or the other whether it's implemented for a tournament or not but it is a realistic option for unsafe water conditions IMO. If trailering is allowed in a tournament I am fishing I am going to use it as a tool just like anything else.

Re: Trailering at Tournaments and other rules for safety [Re: WAWI] #12571383 01/10/18 12:10 AM
F
Fishspanker Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
F
Originally Posted By: WAWI
The interesting thing here is the pro/co deal. Clearly once under way the co has no say. If the co refuses to go then the pro is out of the field. Of course the co has the option to not participate but may not know the route or even areas the pro is planning on running to. Literally the co puts his life on the hands of the boater. Will be interesting to watch how this deal plays out.

To me that's the big thing here. A single person making choices and having to suffer the outcome I have no issue with. We don't need anyone to make us do or not do anything.

However the coangler doesn't get to make the choices. Sure he could choose not to fish but he might not realize what he is gotten into until it's happening even if they had a full discussion before leaving. Your really putting a lot of responsibility on the boater. Both know that before they get in the boat.

I guess you just need to look at it and decide what risk you are willing to accept. Maybe a few trails will make a few small changes to cut the risk. Maybe not.

Of course you can make some changes yourself. I went and got a locator ACR personal locator beacon because to me that cuts the risk of something fatal happening. Anyone can choose to get one for about $250. Also decided to wear a life vest on saltwater trips. It's been pretty stupid not to. For some reason we never wear them in a center console in warm weather.

Last edited by Fishspanker; 01/10/18 12:13 AM.

The Sheep who only fears the Wolf is eaten by the Shepherd.
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide