Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Cabelas layoffs coming... [Re: RiveraTackleCo.] #12556598 12/30/17 07:34 AM
B
bigfishwilb Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Hope either one accepts each other's gift cards. I got 50 bucks for each and knowing what I usually buy, 50 won't touch it at either. Lol.

Patrick Wilbricht
San Antonio TX
Ardent Outdoors Prostaff
Owner, PFK Limitless Fishing

Re: Cabelas layoffs coming... [Re: RiveraTackleCo.] #12557519 12/31/17 03:21 AM
F
Fish2222 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
F
BPS sells enough online to justify the slow days in-store.
Regardless, the Morris lines, and their private label stuff is pretty decent quality.
We can all agree their marketing is top-notch....seals the deal.

Last edited by Fish2222; 12/31/17 03:22 AM.

"I only catch the ones that bite"
BassCat Sabre
Mercury EFI 175
Re: Cabelas layoffs coming... [Re: RiveraTackleCo.] #12557618 12/31/17 04:44 AM
J
Jaden Oberkrom Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
Online sales more popular. Tacklewarehouse and amazon will be top dogs soon lol. People want to pick exactly what they want if willing to wait 2-5 days. Only time I go to Bass Pro is when I need one or two baits that day and I live 2 miles from em lol.

Ranger Boats
www.texaskicking.com
Re: Cabelas layoffs coming... [Re: ezbassin] #12557759 12/31/17 01:22 PM
TallBaldCypress Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Originally Posted By: ezbassin
So you buy out another business and lay off people so you can make even more money than you already do. That is just sorry. Now people are out of a job because of his greed.

That gives me even more reason not to shop at Bass Pro. His prices are too high also.

Well, he could have not bought them and let them go the way of Gander Mountain and everyone loses their job.

Half full my friend. The glass is half full! All but 2000 people kept their job and those who didn't are part of a $10m package. Awfully nice of him to help those folks. He could have told them to not let the door hit em in the [censored].

Last edited by B. Dill; 12/31/17 01:24 PM.
Re: Cabelas layoffs coming... [Re: RiveraTackleCo.] #12558065 12/31/17 05:01 PM
gary purdy Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
I had been a Bass Pro shop dealer through their American Rod and Gun program for 30+ years. Johnny ended the program August 1st. 2017 Not happy.

The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch them without doing anything. Remember what He has done and remember that He is not done yet!-- GOD IS GOOD
Re: Cabelas layoffs coming... [Re: RiveraTackleCo.] #12558066 12/31/17 05:02 PM
ssmith Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
the on line stores better get it while they can because when the states get a handle on how to collect all the sales taxes they are missing it will level out some. with smaller mom an pop stores closing because they cant pay rent or property payment all there will be left is the big box stores an the net stores. it cost a lot of money to keep a store going these days an nobody is going to invest into a store that is not hopefully going to make money. if all there is left are the net stores last year most folks were saying how great tackle warehouse was an look how they have turned on them lately. J M is doing what businesses do if a competitor cant be profitable they close down or get bought out.

Re: Cabelas layoffs coming... [Re: buda13] #12559694 01/01/18 07:59 PM
E
ezbassin Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
E
Originally Posted By: buda13
Originally Posted By: grout-scout
So you buy out another business and lay off people so you can make even more money than you already do. That is just sorry. Now people are out of a job because of his greed.

That gives me even more reason not to shop at Bass Pro. His prices are too high also.

Sounds like it was only a matter of time before the layoffs started anyways.

Just wondering... did yall read the article? They are laying off people at the corporate office and moving the power positions in house with BPS corporate in Springfield. Pretty much what happens to every company that's bought out by a competitor. You review their processes and the optimize the entire operation. They are leaving the warehouse, accounting, IT, and distribution services in Sidney, Nebraska since 1/3rd of the town works there, and Johnny Morris has hired outplacement and recruiting agencies to help laid off employees relocate and or find work. Don't forget about the retirement packages he put in place to help assist through this as well. Not sure what else you folks think should happen here, in the corporate world most times when something like this goes down your just walked out the door and given your last check.

Next time you talk to Johnny ask him why he felt the need to buy out Cabelas. I know he built his fortune from scratch and I also used to get the annual magazine to order from before he had stores. I have spent a ton of money at BPS over the years but I just fail to see the need for him to purchase Cabelas. Enlighten me why that was needed. Maybe im missing out on some important information here.

Last edited by ezbassin; 01/01/18 08:01 PM.
Re: Cabelas layoffs coming... [Re: RiveraTackleCo.] #12559799 01/01/18 08:56 PM
C
CCTX Online Content
mapquest
Online Content
mapquest
C
^^^. Cabelas stores sit on some pretty good real estate.

[Linked Image]
Re: Cabelas layoffs coming... [Re: ezbassin] #12559973 01/01/18 10:24 PM
D
Douglas J Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
D

Just wondering... did yall read the article? They are laying off people at the corporate office and moving the power positions in house with BPS corporate in Springfield. Pretty much what happens to every company that's bought out by a competitor. You review their processes and the optimize the entire operation. They are leaving the warehouse, accounting, IT, and distribution services in Sidney, Nebraska since 1/3rd of the town works there, and Johnny Morris has hired outplacement and recruiting agencies to help laid off employees relocate and or find work. Don't forget about the retirement packages he put in place to help assist through this as well. Not sure what else you folks think should happen here, in the corporate world most times when something like this goes down your just walked out the door and given your last check.

Next time you talk to Johnny ask him why he felt the need to buy out Cabelas. I know he built his fortune from scratch and I also used to get the annual magazine to order from before he had stores. I have spent a ton of money at BPS over the years but I just fail to see the need for him to purchase Cabelas. Enlighten me why that was needed. Maybe im missing out on some important information here.

Because he could is why he bought it. He's old and wealthy and his acquisitions are more like "notches" in his bed post at this point in his life...

#MFGA
Re: Cabelas layoffs coming... [Re: ezbassin] #12560027 01/01/18 11:02 PM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity

Nobody on this forum has the answer to your question I promise, but we all know Cabelas sells Ranger boats and Johnny and his cohorts owns Ranger boats so there was/is a connection. After that it's anyone's guess but pretty sure we'll all know before 2018 is over. The man is an entrepreneur of the highest caliber so pretty sure he's got a plan.

I am a Senager. (Senior teenager) I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, only 50 years later. I get an allowance every month. I have PU truck and a bass boat, I am blessed.
Conscience never acquits, it either accuses or excuses.
Re: Cabelas layoffs coming... [Re: ezbassin] #12560217 01/02/18 12:49 AM
Ken A. Offline
Groovy
Groovy

EJ,

I have no good answer for you. Other than it probably had nothing to do with his needs. Remember what I told you about folks that would walk up to me while I was working a booth at the boat show?

When the man would ask me how fast the Allison boat would run with a 300 Merc and then his wife would ask me why anyone would "need" to go 90 mph to catch a fish.

When she asked that I would say, Ma'am, there isn't anything in this entire building that has anything to do with NEED.

Re: Cabelas layoffs coming... [Re: RiveraTackleCo.] #12560329 01/02/18 01:45 AM
E
ezbassin Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
E
LOL Ken, you are so right about that. I have a ton of tackle that has nothing to do with what I need but I have it anyways.

Re: Cabelas layoffs coming... [Re: RiveraTackleCo.] #12560346 01/02/18 01:55 AM
Brandon Potter Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
I love BassPro. Wait, I love my dads 45% discount on any Basspro/Johnny Morris/Red head and 15% on everything else

Last edited by Brandon Potter; 01/02/18 01:55 AM.

2022 Skeeter ZXR21
Re: Cabelas layoffs coming... [Re: ezbassin] #12560763 01/02/18 12:04 PM
John175☮ Offline
MACHO MAN
MACHO MAN

"Cabelas hunts for potential buyer in Bass Pro Shops

Cabelas has been under fire since October from activist billionaire investor Paul Singers Elliott Management hedge fund, which bought an 11 percent stake and pressed management to consider options for boosting the stock price, including a sale.

The Sidney, Neb., company said in December it would explore strategic alternatives but held off distributing confidential financial information to potential buyers until now."

https://nypost.com/2016/03/24/cabelas-hunts-for-potential-buyer-in-bass-pro-shops/

Joe Biden is a threat to our Constitutional Republic.
Re: Cabelas layoffs coming... [Re: John175☮] #12560929 01/02/18 02:51 PM
206champion Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: John175 �

"Cabelas hunts for potential buyer in Bass Pro Shops

Cabelas has been under fire since October from activist billionaire investor Paul Singers Elliott Management hedge fund, which bought an 11 percent stake and pressed management to consider options for boosting the stock price, including a sale.

The Sidney, Neb., company said in December it would explore strategic alternatives but held off distributing confidential financial information to potential buyers until now."

https://nypost.com/2016/03/24/cabelas-hunts-for-potential-buyer-in-bass-pro-shops/

thats interesting i wander why he would buy them and turn around a try to sell so fast?

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide