F
Flippin-Out Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
Originally Posted By: 206champion
Originally Posted By: John175 �
Originally Posted By: ezbassin

Next time you talk to Johnny ask him why he felt the need to buy out Cabelas. I know he built his fortune from scratch and I also used to get the annual magazine to order from before he had stores. I have spent a ton of money at BPS over the years but I just fail to see the need for him to purchase Cabelas. Enlighten me why that was needed. Maybe im missing out on some important information here.

"Cabelas hunts for potential buyer in Bass Pro Shops

Cabelas has been under fire since October from activist billionaire investor Paul Singers Elliott Management hedge fund, which bought an 11 percent stake and pressed management to consider options for boosting the stock price, including a sale.

The Sidney, Neb., company said in December it would explore strategic alternatives but held off distributing confidential financial information to potential buyers until now."

https://nypost.com/2016/03/24/cabelas-hunts-for-potential-buyer-in-bass-pro-shops/

thats interesting i wander why he would buy them and turn around a try to sell so fast?

Paul Singer is an "activist investor" (nothing to do with politics) who buys a sufficient stake in a company for a particular reason, then using the power of his ownership stake, stirs things up to force them into whatever plan he had at the onset of the stock purchase. Paul viewed that Cabela's was "undervalued", meaning that it's holdings and market share were actually worth a lot more than was reflected in the per share stock price. This meant that there was an opportunity to sell the company for a value higher than the stock was currently trading.

Paul bought shares at a bargain price (that undervalued market price), then stirred the pot to force a sale of the company (as a whole or broken into pieces) because the earning from selling Cabela's would add up to more than all the shares of stock combined. When Cabela's was sold, Paul quickly got all his money back PLUS a very tidy profit margin for the short time that he owned shares. To make that same profit on sales operations at Cabela's would have taken years longer. He made a lot of money real fast, and moved on to stir the pot at his next victim company. He NEVER intended to own it very long - if he got his way. He took the money and ran as fast as he could.

Last edited by Flippin-Out; 01/03/18 06:17 AM.
Re: Cabelas layoffs coming... [Re: Cheesehead Wes] #12562229 01/03/18 11:31 AM
S
Stump jumper Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted By: Cheesehead Wes
Originally Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES
I don't see how BPS stays open!!! All of the overhead in those stores with very little foot traffic IMO. Seems like it should take a 40-50% profit to keep those places alive and well. I have been to every Tx BPS this year and it was a ghost town every time I was in. Surely they aren't selling that much apparel or private label....

You should have been at the Garland BPS last Friday & Saturday. Like to have never found a place to park and it was like the State Fair Midway inside. Every check out was full.

I'm sure they have days like that but I run a major retail store and know what it takes to keep the "investors happy". I bet those stores are $150 million+ each to build. I just cant imagine how they get out of the red....
I have always thought that Gander, Cabelas, and BPS expanded with stores too quickly and over spent on them. They should have focused on web sales. Unless I just cannot find something that I need right now somewhere else I avoid BPS. Cabelas is not convenient to me. I was buying Mercury oil once and BPS was $6-$7 higher than Academy.

2200 Bay Champ/200 Mercury Optimax
2017 Tundra TSS 4x4 Crewmax 5.7L
Re: Cabelas layoffs coming... [Re: ezbassin] #12562239 01/03/18 11:55 AM
B
barndoor Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
So you buy out another business and lay off people so you can make even more money than you already do. That is just sorry. Now people are out of a job because of his greed.

That gives me even more reason not to shop at Bass Pro. His prices are too high also.

Yes. That's how I got laid off about 10 years ago. We got bought out by a bigger company, then laid off, so they can put more money in their pocket. We were not in the red and making millions in profits every year. Greed will always dominate.

Re: Cabelas layoffs coming... [Re: RiveraTackleCo.] #12562245 01/03/18 12:05 PM
B
Bass&More Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
Does anyone miss Gander Mountain popcorn2 peep

Re: Cabelas layoffs coming... [Re: RiveraTackleCo.] #12562339 01/03/18 01:48 PM
P
patriot07 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
P
I don't know why anyone shops at any of these places really. Academy has nearly the same selection with much lower prices. Tackle Warehouse has infinitely more selection and better prices also.

For the non-fishing stuff, the pricing is even worse at BPS & Cabelas. Of the two, Cabelas has better pricing though. I'm not sure why BPS gets more traffic. Maybe location? There isn't a Cabelas within reasonable driving distance of me, but both the FW and Allen locations seem like reasonable places to put them.

$10M for 2,000 people isn't much of a package. That's $5k per person...and you know the top execs are going to be getting 6-figure payouts, so that leaves little or nothing for whatever lower level folks are let go.

Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.
- Soren Kierkegaard
Re: Cabelas layoffs coming... [Re: RiveraTackleCo.] #12562389 01/03/18 02:25 PM
J
JCG57 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
J
Cabelas was put in play because their management underperformed and an activist investor forced the issue. Bass Pro bought them for two reasons: synergies and competition. The synergies are obvious when you buy another firm in the same industry (duplicate staff, greater purchasing power, optimized distribution, etc.). The competitive aspect is also obvious: first, Bass Pro "takes out" their most direct competitor, and second, they are somewhat better positioned to take on the real threat - Amazon, and to a letter degree other online retailers.

Bass Pro used a significant amount of debt to enable this acquisition. That means that they made promises to the lenders regarding their ability to service the loans, driven in part by cost savings through elimination of redundant positions. This is called capitalism; it's what made this country the economic powerhouse we are. Play the game or not, but complaining about it accomplishes nothing.

Re: Cabelas layoffs coming... [Re: Cheesehead Wes] #12562425 01/03/18 02:48 PM
Nocona Brian Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
I don't see how BPS stays open!!! All of the overhead in those stores with very little foot traffic IMO. Seems like it should take a 40-50% profit to keep those places alive and well. I have been to every Tx BPS this year and it was a ghost town every time I was in. Surely they aren't selling that much apparel or private label....

By offering credit cards, and financing peoples dreams. hammer

LIKE the TFF on Facebook - www.facebook.com/texasfishingforum
Re: Cabelas layoffs coming... [Re: ezbassin] #12562564 01/03/18 04:22 PM
BMCD Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
So you buy out another business and lay off people so you can make even more money than you already do. That is just sorry. Now people are out of a job because of his greed.

That gives me even more reason not to shop at Bass Pro. His prices are too high also.

U have to understand this is what the Cabela's investors wanted too, for the amount of money paid I'm sure Johnyy needs to see more then 3-5% return. Things needed to be changed. Its been a complaint about Cabela's earnings for a long time.

Re: Cabelas layoffs coming... [Re: RiveraTackleCo.] #12562618 01/03/18 04:51 PM
W
WAWI Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
W
I'm gonna say the truest thing I have ever heard and have used from time to time. Owners have rights too. First and foremost of these is the right to make money and to maximize their returns. It's unfortunate when there is a layoff but it happens and it's better to layoff some now than everyone later

Re: Cabelas layoffs coming... [Re: RiveraTackleCo.] #12562807 01/03/18 06:58 PM
jwcromer Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
hell..........you got to drive to Okla. to shop........

Re: Cabelas layoffs coming... [Re: RiveraTackleCo.] #12563169 01/04/18 12:14 AM
B
beartrap Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
B
I remember the days before johnny morris revolutionized the fishing tackle industry and the memories were not pleasant...if you wanted to buy fishing tackle,your choices were few and overpriced...a local bait shop or hardware store were your only locations that sold tackle and the selections were very limited...

Re: Cabelas layoffs coming... [Re: Bass&More] #12566283 01/06/18 02:46 PM
E
ezbassin Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
E
Originally Posted By: Bass&More
Does anyone miss Gander Mountain popcorn2 peep

I certainly do NOT.

Re: Cabelas layoffs coming... [Re: patriot07] #12566285 01/06/18 02:48 PM
E
ezbassin Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
E
Originally Posted By: patriot07
I don't know why anyone shops at any of these places really. Academy has nearly the same selection with much lower prices. Tackle Warehouse has infinitely more selection and better prices also.

For the non-fishing stuff, the pricing is even worse at BPS & Cabelas. Of the two, Cabelas has better pricing though. I'm not sure why BPS gets more traffic. Maybe location? There isn't a Cabelas within reasonable driving distance of me, but both the FW and Allen locations seem like reasonable places to put them.

$10M for 2,000 people isn't much of a package. That's $5k per person...and you know the top execs are going to be getting 6-figure payouts, so that leaves little or nothing for whatever lower level folks are let go.

Academy in Arlington has a lousy selection of fishing tackle now. It used to be ok but has gone down for the past 3-5 years now.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide