Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Cabelas layoffs coming... [Re: RiveraTackleCo.] #12555158 12/29/17 03:34 AM
Alumacraft 14 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
I find myself going to BPS to look at stuff, then I amazon it at 20-40% less then what BPS wants. Most cases I have to wait 1 or 2 days and it is at my door.

Amazon will be the retail gaint killer. Glad I bought their stock a long time ago!

Re: Cabelas layoffs coming... [Re: ezbassin] #12555189 12/29/17 03:57 AM
G
grout-scout Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
G
Originally Posted By: ezbassin
So you buy out another business and lay off people so you can make even more money than you already do. That is just sorry. Now people are out of a job because of his greed.

That gives me even more reason not to shop at Bass Pro. His prices are too high also.

Sounds like it was only a matter of time before the layoffs started anyways.

Re: Cabelas layoffs coming... [Re: ezbassin] #12555265 12/29/17 04:39 AM
D
Douglas J Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
D
So you buy out another business and lay off people so you can make even more money than you already do. That is just sorry. Now people are out of a job because of his greed.

That gives me even more reason not to shop at Bass Pro. His prices are too high also.

That's business and why he's probably a billionaire and we aren't, we (common folk) actually care about others and not just $$$ ...

#MFGA
Re: Cabelas layoffs coming... [Re: RiveraTackleCo.] #12555363 12/29/17 05:27 AM
GODSDOZER Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Iam not sure he doesn't care about others, as a business owner for 20 years I'm sure he concerned about his bottom line. So much criticism about someone else's business practice or prices from those who have never owned their own business. If X business doesn't have profit, they will change business model or shut the doors. If competitor X is causing slump in sales, business Y will adjust or shut the doors.

Re: Cabelas layoffs coming... [Re: RiveraTackleCo.] #12555400 12/29/17 05:48 AM
B
Bill Durham Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
Its Business.. had the situation been reversed.. Cabellas buying out Basspro.. it would have been the same way. At least the stores are staying open I guess.. better than the Gander Mountain situation. I don't go to Basspro very often.. if somebody gives me a gift card I"ll use it.. but the prices are retail plus.. which is frustrating because they have the inventory.. more power to them I guess.

BD

Re: Cabelas layoffs coming... [Re: RiveraTackleCo.] #12555729 12/29/17 04:59 PM
Ken A. Offline
Groovy
Groovy
Moving Cabelas corporate to Springfield, MO was inevitable. Any time you merge two fully functioning companies, there is going to be bloodshed at the top level. Its the age old story of the bigger fish eating the smaller fish.

I know many of you probably think of Johnny Morris as a money-hungry tycoon that would sell his own momma to make a buck but it is hard to find fault in his accomplishments over the years. I've met the man and sat across the table from him on two occasions and he is as down to earth as they come. You would not suspect the razor sharp business acumen that lies within him. He is actually very humble and soft spoken.

http://www.417mag.com/417-Magazine/November-2014/The-Johnny-Morris-Story/

Re: Cabelas layoffs coming... [Re: GIG'EM AGGIES] #12555745 12/29/17 05:08 PM
9094 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES
Originally Posted By: Cheesehead Wes
Originally Posted By: Cheesehead Wes
I don't see how BPS stays open!!! All of the overhead in those stores with very little foot traffic IMO. Seems like it should take a 40-50% profit to keep those places alive and well. I have been to every Tx BPS this year and it was a ghost town every time I was in. Surely they aren't selling that much apparel or private label....

You should have been at the Garland BPS last Friday & Saturday. Like to have never found a place to park and it was like the State Fair Midway inside. Every check out was full.

I'm sure they have days like that but I run a major retail store and know what it takes to keep the "investors happy". I bet those stores are $150 million+ each to build. I just cant imagine how they get out of the red....

Johnny Morris doesn't have any investors but he got a whole lot of money, I mean a WHOLE lot.

Johnny Morris has a lot of investors. He started the investment group.

Retirement best job ever.
Re: Cabelas layoffs coming... [Re: RiveraTackleCo.] #12555771 12/29/17 05:27 PM
W
Workfishngolf37 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
W
I think cabelas and Bass pro have become tourist destinations. i was at the bps in harlingen this past weekend and everyone was taking pictures. I never figured out why they built a store in harlingen because during the week that place is dead. That is the only store ive seen bass boats go on sale.

Re: Cabelas layoffs coming... [Re: Ken A.] #12555816 12/29/17 06:06 PM
C
Cheesehead Wes Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
C
Originally Posted By: Ken A.
Moving Cabelas corporate to Springfield, MO was inevitable. Any time you merge two fully functioning companies, there is going to be bloodshed at the top level. Its the age old story of the bigger fish eating the smaller fish.

I know many of you probably think of Johnny Morris as a money-hungry tycoon that would sell his own momma to make a buck but it is hard to find fault in his accomplishments over the years. I've met the man and sat across the table from him on two occasions and he is as down to earth as they come. You would not suspect the razor sharp business acumen that lies within him. He is actually very humble and soft spoken.

http://www.417mag.com/417-Magazine/November-2014/The-Johnny-Morris-Story/

I don't blame him. He has created the disneyland of outdoor stores! I agree that they are tourist destinations. I just don't see how they remain at the top of the industry with all of Academy's, amazons, tackle warehouses etc...
My family Never drives past a bps without going inside....only to find ideas of what my next tacklewarehouse order is going to be.

Re: Cabelas layoffs coming... [Re: RiveraTackleCo.] #12556022 12/29/17 09:13 PM
T
TX Rigged Senko Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
If I get a BPS gift card, I wait and use it to renew my fishing license... BPS prices are just not competitive

Re: Cabelas layoffs coming... [Re: grout-scout] #12556044 12/29/17 09:32 PM
buda13 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: grout-scout

Sounds like it was only a matter of time before the layoffs started anyways.

Just wondering... did yall read the article? They are laying off people at the corporate office and moving the power positions in house with BPS corporate in Springfield. Pretty much what happens to every company that's bought out by a competitor. You review their processes and the optimize the entire operation. They are leaving the warehouse, accounting, IT, and distribution services in Sidney, Nebraska since 1/3rd of the town works there, and Johnny Morris has hired outplacement and recruiting agencies to help laid off employees relocate and or find work. Don't forget about the retirement packages he put in place to help assist through this as well. Not sure what else you folks think should happen here, in the corporate world most times when something like this goes down your just walked out the door and given your last check.

Re: Cabelas layoffs coming... [Re: RiveraTackleCo.] #12556172 12/29/17 11:21 PM
B
brennansgrandpa Offline
Angler
Angler
B
Have to agree with Ken and Buda on this one. I too have met the man and he is a very genuine person. He gives back to the communities they serve and is a big conservationist. Hiring outplacement services and providing relo assistance speaks to his personal commitment to people. They are two very different business models, Cableas drove much of their volume in firearms and their crown jewel is their credit card and dot com business as they own the bank. My New Years wish to all involved is that they all have a safe soft landing somewhere and start 2018 on a good note. Been there myself and it is not easy, but if you are open to change it can be a very good opportunity. One door closes and another opens. Seize the moment!

Basscat Boat Owner
Re: Cabelas layoffs coming... [Re: RiveraTackleCo.] #12556202 12/29/17 11:52 PM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Johnny Morris wasn't born rich, he started out selling fishing stuff out of the back of his dad's liquor store. He's worked hard to get where he's at so it's hard to think of him anyway but with respect and admiration. I'm sure the comments Buda and Ken made were/are a testament to his character and goodwill towards his employees.

I am a Senager. (Senior teenager) I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, only 50 years later. I get an allowance every month. I have PU truck and a bass boat, I am blessed.
Conscience never acquits, it either accuses or excuses.
Re: Cabelas layoffs coming... [Re: GIG'EM AGGIES] #12556225 12/30/17 12:07 AM
Ken A. Offline
Groovy
Groovy
Johnny Morris wasn't born rich, he started out selling fishing stuff out of the back of his dad's liquor store. He's worked hard to get where he's at so it's hard to think of him anyway but with respect and admiration. I'm sure the comments Buda and Ken made were/are a testament to his character and goodwill towards his employees.

I don't mean to come across like I am close personal friends with the man but I have sat across the dinner table from him on two separate occasions and talked with him for a couple hours. I am intrigued by guys like him that have been Ultra-Successful doing something they love. Like him or not, he has built an empire in the fishing industry from pretty humble beginnings.

I am sure some folks got their toes stepped on along the way but name one business that grew from Zero to $5 BILLION DOLLARS without someone getting their feelings hurt?

Re: Cabelas layoffs coming... [Re: Ken A.] #12556259 12/30/17 12:44 AM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Ken A.

I don't mean to come across like I am close personal friends with the man but I have sat across the dinner table from him on two separate occasions and talked with him for a couple hours. I am intrigued by guys like him that have been Ultra-Successful doing something they love. Like him or not, he has built an empire in the fishing industry from pretty humble beginnings.

I am sure some folks got their toes stepped on along the way but name one business that grew from Zero to $5 BILLION DOLLARS without someone getting their feelings hurt?

Pretty much say the same thing about Warren Buffet. Lot of hard work, whole lotta luck and yes there's gonna be some who hate the ground he walks on. That's life.

I am a Senager. (Senior teenager) I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, only 50 years later. I get an allowance every month. I have PU truck and a bass boat, I am blessed.
Conscience never acquits, it either accuses or excuses.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide