Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: New Share A Lunker changes [Re: TBassYates] #12544674 12/20/17 01:24 PM
pacertom Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
Man there's a lot of crusty, opinionated old men on this forum. Just commenting negatively for the sake of it. The changes here are basically reporting on line outside the normal spawning window. Other than that, the program is the same for collecting 13# fish during Jan - Mar.

A MAN WILL NEVER GO TO HIS GRAVE WISHING HE'D FISHED LESS!!
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: New Share A Lunker changes [Re: pacertom] #12544726 12/20/17 02:08 PM
F
Fisherdad58 Offline
Angler
Angler
F
Originally Posted By: pacertom
Man there's a lot of crusty, opinionated old men on this forum. Just commenting negatively for the sake of it. The changes here are basically reporting on line outside the normal spawning window. Other than that, the program is the same for collecting 13# fish during Jan - Mar.

We may be crusty, but we have sense enough to see that the guidelines will mean more of the mature fish will be hauled in to the scales, kept out of the water longer and ultimately end up dead or at least negatively affected healthwise.
Seriously... Isn't catching a good fish enough of a prize. Take a couple of quick pics and let 'em go.

"Be as straight as you can be and as crooked as you have to be, for what's right"

Psalm 8
Re: New Share A Lunker changes [Re: Fisherdad58] #12544798 12/20/17 02:50 PM
goodman1389 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Originally Posted By: Fisherdad58
Originally Posted By: pacertom

We may be crusty, but we have sense enough to see that the guidelines will mean more of the mature fish will be hauled in to the scales, kept out of the water longer and ultimately end up dead or at least negatively affected healthwise.
Seriously... Isn't catching a good fish enough of a prize. Take a couple of quick pics and let 'em go.

Read the article! All you have to do is submit a photo of your 8+ fish to qualify. You dont have to take it to a certified scale, just snap a photo and put it back in the water.... same as before

Re: New Share A Lunker changes [Re: TBassYates] #12544836 12/20/17 03:10 PM
H
Hog Jaw Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
H
All this negatively , those of you who can see in the future should pack up to to Vegas , I'm old and crusty , I fish all the time , love to see Young Guns on the lake with the wrapped boats , let the sport of Bass Fishing evolve , cause like it or not that what it has turned in to . Will we enjoy the benifts from all this and our children will too .

Re: New Share A Lunker changes [Re: Jpurdue] #12544869 12/20/17 03:29 PM
S
salex Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
Originally Posted By: Jpurdue
I think they are some awesome changes. What this means to us anglers is exponentially more data. The more data we have the better we can understand the animal we are all so passionate about. I see nothing but positives here for the fishermen of Texas. Lower mortality, higher yields on the breeding program, and hundreds of times more data. I know some grumblers will never be happy no matter what is proposed, but I applaud the effort to keep innovating and trying to drive our understanding forward even if a few mistakes have been made along the way.

Link to changes: Share Lunker Program

Well said. IMO, TPWD does a nice job with the tools and resources we have. There are lots and lots of theories about why we do not see more 13+ lb fish reported. IMO, it is not the fault of TPWD, but a myraid of other factors. But, we have to find someone to blame, so many blame TPWD.

Steve Alexander
salexander@privatewaterfishing.com
www.privatewaterfishing.com

Re: New Share A Lunker changes [Re: goodman1389] #12544872 12/20/17 03:30 PM
F
Fisherdad58 Offline
Angler
Angler
F
Not everybody carries a digital scale with them. The ones that don't probably don't care about the prize anyway.

Maybe there wont be a lot of wanna be biologists out there trying to gather scale samples for genetics either.

I just think the whole thing would achieve it's main purpose better if the prize was eliminated so the glory hounds and the expected cheaters were removed. IF, the main purpose is for the quality of the fish and not the money.

"Be as straight as you can be and as crooked as you have to be, for what's right"

Psalm 8
Re: New Share A Lunker changes [Re: Fisherdad58] #12544882 12/20/17 03:34 PM
J
Jpurdue Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
J
Not everybody carries a digital scale with them. The ones that don't probably don't care about the prize anyway.

Maybe there wont be a lot of wanna be biologists out there trying to gather scale samples for genetics either.

I just think the whole thing would achieve it's main purpose better if the prize was eliminated so the glory hounds and the expected cheaters were removed. IF, the main purpose is for the quality of the fish and not the money.

To my knowledge, they haven't said what the prize would be. My guess is for an 8lb fish it won't be much more than a certificate. Not all that different than the master angler program many states have.

"Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley." -A.L.

www.LunkerLore.com

Re: New Share A Lunker changes [Re: Jpurdue] #12544893 12/20/17 03:44 PM
D
David Burton Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
D

To my knowledge, they haven't said what the prize would be. My guess is for an 8lb fish it won't be much more than a certificate. Not all that different than the master angler program many states have.

It is getting closer to the Florida model, with the extra special category for 13lb fish the program was famous for. They have listed at least one of the "drawing" prizes: a lifetime fishing license.

David Burton
2015 Skeeter FX 21 +Ultrex +Helix 12 (x3) +Mega360 +MegaLive
Re: New Share A Lunker changes [Re: TBassYates] #12544898 12/20/17 03:47 PM
C
criglizard Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
C
The state has asked TPWD for more data to support their budget requests for lake management and stocking. This isn't about handing out trophies to people. This is about securing funds so that TPWD can invest MORE into the lakes we fish. This program will produce data that will help TPWD with their goals...which benefit bass anglers!

Some of you guys are ill-informed, not to mention negative.

Re: New Share A Lunker changes [Re: TBassYates] #12544999 12/20/17 05:14 PM
F
Fisherdad58 Offline
Angler
Angler
F
No doubt, it is an improvement over the previous program.

Psalm 8
Re: New Share A Lunker changes [Re: TBassYates] #12545011 12/20/17 05:20 PM
Ken A. Offline
Groovy
Groovy
The Toyota ShareLunker Program is made possible by a grant to the Texas Parks and Wildlife Foundation from Gulf States Toyota.

Gulf States Toyota Distributors (GST) is the US' second (out of 2) largest franchised distributor of Toyota vehicles. The 154 dealers in the five states of Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Oklahoma and Texas account for 13% of Toyota sales in the United States. Per Forbes, GST is a wholly owned subsidiary the holding company, the Friedkin Companies[3] and ranked 53rd on the Forbes 2008 list of America's Largest Private Companies.[4]

Re: New Share A Lunker changes [Re: Jpurdue] #12545205 12/20/17 07:44 PM
J
Jarrett Latta Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
J

I saw something about a small tackle pack of lures and such on the video they posted. Also a jacket but that may be for the 13+. My only worry is people going out of their way to get an 8lb fish measured or weighed when it normally would just be released

Re: New Share A Lunker changes [Re: Ken A.] #12545243 12/20/17 08:09 PM
C
criglizard Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
C
Originally Posted By: Ken A.
The Toyota ShareLunker Program is made possible by a grant to the Texas Parks and Wildlife Foundation from Gulf States Toyota.

Gulf States Toyota Distributors (GST) is the US' second (out of 2) largest franchised distributor of Toyota vehicles. The 154 dealers in the five states of Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Oklahoma and Texas account for 13% of Toyota sales in the United States. Per Forbes, GST is a wholly owned subsidiary the holding company, the Friedkin Companies[3] and ranked 53rd on the Forbes 2008 list of America's Largest Private Companies.[4]

Yes, very good that Toyota supports Sharelunker. They don't fund the entire program, didn't back pay for years before their sponsorship, and they don't pay for TPWD to exist. But their contribution is huge to Sharelunker and allows TPWD to extract valuable data from the fish so that they can further enhance Texas fishing, among other things. We live in a data world and I think it's wise of the state to want more data and wise for TPWD to extract more data.

Re: New Share A Lunker changes [Re: TBassYates] #12545519 12/21/17 12:11 AM
horseplaydvm Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
They were already headed in the wrong direction. Might as well floor it and crash sooner.

[Linked Image]
Gone Fishing
B.A.S. 6/5/47-6/6/12
C.W.S. 9/29/72- 10/17/23
Re: New Share A Lunker changes [Re: TBassYates] #12545529 12/21/17 12:25 AM
tx2va07 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Come on now guys. In all honestly, how many people catch an 8+ lb bass and dont weigh or measure, and take a pic anyway??

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide