Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Hunting Big Fish [Re: Brent S] #12519184 11/28/17 08:41 PM
i-Fish Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Great thread though! Excellent info. I’m taking notes.

If you can't find em wind em.
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Hunting Big Fish [Re: Brent S] #12519214 11/28/17 09:18 PM
D
Darryl Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
So all the info I have read says you need to fish slow.

Is it better to

(A) anchor and thoroughly fish an area?

(B) use a trolling motor with a spot lock?

(C) drift and use a trolling motor to periodically correct position?

I have a different question... if one does sit on one of these spots with any of the methods above... how long would it take to become part of the environment?

Re: Hunting Big Fish [Re: Brent S] #12519304 11/28/17 10:51 PM
C
CCTX Online Content
mapquest
Online Content
mapquest
C
I’d have more confidence anchoring and turning off all electronics once you’ve marked the spot

If you have been tracking the bass and know the lake well, you might not ever have to turn them on

It’s fun to use electronics and impractical not to utilize awesome technology like spot lock; but if you are getting close to a known big bass buffet location; I’d minimize using any of it and be as quiet in the boat as possible

If recollection serves, Bill Murphy said it takes 30min to an hour to become part of the environment

[Linked Image]
Re: Hunting Big Fish [Re: Darryl] #12519313 11/28/17 10:57 PM
J
Jpurdue Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted By: Darryl
So all the info I have read says you need to fish slow.

Is it better to

(A) anchor and thoroughly fish an area?

(B) use a trolling motor with a spot lock?

(C) drift and use a trolling motor to periodically correct position?

I have a different question... if one does sit on one of these spots with any of the methods above... how long would it take to become part of the environment?

There are lots of documented examples of trolling motors and electronics spooking big fish. John Hope's telemetry studies showed you could drift up to them without spooking them or you could anchor and wait. If you anchoring it's best to use the two anchor method one of the front one off the back to hold the boat as still as possible. Of course you have to know their are big fish in the spot or it's going to be a very slow and mostly unproductive way to fish.

"Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley." -A.L.

www.LunkerLore.com

Re: Hunting Big Fish [Re: B.Hollingshead] #12519343 11/28/17 11:45 PM
M. Alexander Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: B.Hollingshead
I don't believe it has to do with the lure, depth, or cover as has so much to do with being in the right location. I have caught a lot of big fish on about any technique available from shacky head to 10XDs.

I concur. I've yet to catch to catch a DD in almost 40 yrs of fishing frown , but you asked about 5lb and up...I've caught a fair share of 6-9lbers...on shaky heads, buzzbaits, jigs, spinnerbaits, crankbaits, C Rigs, T-Rig worms, etc...in depths of 8" to 20'...in pads, grass, rock, creek channels, points, etc...

I won't argue that there aren't things one can do to move the odds slightly in your favor for bigger fish, such as putting in time on a specific body of water to learn where bigger ones live, but short of that I think there's a lot of luck involved.

Mark
Re: Hunting Big Fish [Re: Brent S] #12519366 11/29/17 12:06 AM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Brent S
What lures, depths, cover, structure, do you like to use and target to catch fish in the 5 pound and up category?

5 pound and up category?

If you're really, really lucky and know how to cast you have a pretty good chance to catch a 5 pounder. The higher the weight, the harder they are to catch. Takes more skill, more knowledge, more time and lots more luck. When I caught my DD I had been catching a lot of 5-8 pounders in that area and had been fishing that area for a couple of years. One day I was really, really lucky and made the right cast with the right lure at the right time and BINGO, caught a 14.19. So I would say that was and is the right combination. Luck, lure, location and time. Oh and presentation. I was pitching a jig and craw worm at a specific spot in 18 FOW. Of the 5 though I'll take luck.

I am a Senager. (Senior teenager) I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, only 50 years later. I get an allowance every month. I have PU truck and a bass boat, I am blessed.
Conscience never acquits, it either accuses or excuses.
Re: Hunting Big Fish [Re: M. Alexander] #12519401 11/29/17 12:41 AM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted By: M. Alexander
Originally Posted By: B.Hollingshead
I don't believe it has to do with the lure, depth, or cover as has so much to do with being in the right location. I have caught a lot of big fish on about any technique available from shacky head to 10XDs.

I concur. I've yet to catch to catch a DD in almost 40 yrs of fishing frown , but you asked about 5lb and up...I've caught a fair share of 6-9lbers...on shaky heads, buzzbaits, jigs, spinnerbaits, crankbaits, C Rigs, T-Rig worms, etc...in depths of 8" to 20'...in pads, grass, rock, creek channels, points, etc...

I won't argue that there aren't things one can do to move the odds slightly in your favor for bigger fish, such as putting in time on a specific body of water to learn where bigger ones live, but short of that I think there's a lot of luck involved.

Even luck is useless if you are not prepaired to take advantage of it when it strikes. I feel like a great angler is always a prepared for the "luck" when it happens. Also, an angler that knows how to find bigger fish isn't just lucky, they have the talent it takes to fool one when they find it. Most of these guys in this thread are just modest....saying the big ones will bite anything. They are better than average fishermen and to them it might seem as though anything will work.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Hunting Big Fish [Re: Brent S] #12520178 11/29/17 04:35 PM
B
Bayou Burner Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
B
Great post!

"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

John Wayne

ADHAERO VIRTUTI
Re: Hunting Big Fish [Re: Brent S] #12520371 11/29/17 07:19 PM
EastTexasBassin Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
Just one more thing I didn't mention, and guys that have fished with me will tell you that I do actually do this.

When I pull up to a spot, I say loudly and clearly- "Dang, I left my net and scale at home"

The big girls are a lot less hesitant to bite if they think you're without a net and/or scale.

Re: Hunting Big Fish [Re: GIG'EM AGGIES] #12520628 11/29/17 11:43 PM
J
Jarrett Latta Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
J
Originally Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES
What lures, depths, cover, structure, do you like to use and target to catch fish in the 5 pound and up category?

5 pound and up category?

If you're really, really lucky and know how to cast you have a pretty good chance to catch a 5 pounder. The higher the weight, the harder they are to catch. Takes more skill, more knowledge, more time and lots more luck. When I caught my DD I had been catching a lot of 5-8 pounders in that area and had been fishing that area for a couple of years. One day I was really, really lucky and made the right cast with the right lure at the right time and BINGO, caught a 14.19. So I would say that was and is the right combination. Luck, lure, location and time. Oh and presentation. I was pitching a jig and craw worm at a specific spot in 18 FOW. Of the 5 though I'll take luck.

But you proved our point about location being critical. You already had an established big fish area. Establishing those spots is the deal to consistently put big fish in the boat. Catching random big fish rarely happens. There's a reason you catch a big one especially deep.

Re: Hunting Big Fish [Re: Brent S] #12520950 11/30/17 03:58 AM
D
Dr JL Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
All good posts.
I suggest reading Lunker Lore by Josh Alwine.
Also read John Hope- Tracking Trophies.
Also read Richie White- Sight Fishing book.

Fish in the right place at the right time and know what both of those things mean.
Fish 8-12ft at night and anchor up.
Know how to catch big spawning bass-sight fishing.
Fish 12-4pm in the afternoon during spring if your going pre spawn.
Fish slowly-very slowly- or—bang your bait off of stuff a lot.
Be quiet.
Fish alone.
Fish Jan-April.
Use good equipment and fresh line/good knot.
The harder you try the luckier you will get!
There ya go!
Go get em!

Re: Hunting Big Fish [Re: Jarrett Latta] #12521094 11/30/17 12:35 PM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Jaret Latta
Originally Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

5 pound and up category?

But you proved our point about location being critical. You already had an established big fish area. Establishing those spots is the deal to consistently put big fish in the boat. Catching random big fish rarely happens. There's a reason you catch a big one especially deep.

Yep, location was one of the 5 ingredients for success in catching large bass and it's getting easier with all the electronics available today and information gathered and shared by professional anglers. But luck is still big in my mind. Who knows if I had been 10-20-30 minutes later at that particular location with that particular lure at that particular depth if I would have caught that particular bass. I failed to mention that bass had just eaten a crappie. In fact the crappies tail was still visible in the basses mouth when we weighed her so it wasn't like she was hungry. Don't know why she wanted my jig/craw worm other than it was just there and it was my lucky day. banana

I am a Senager. (Senior teenager) I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, only 50 years later. I get an allowance every month. I have PU truck and a bass boat, I am blessed.
Conscience never acquits, it either accuses or excuses.
Re: Hunting Big Fish [Re: Brent S] #12521367 11/30/17 05:33 PM
J
Jarrett Latta Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
J
Imo you created your own luck by already fishing a known big bass area.

Re: Hunting Big Fish [Re: Brent S] #12521432 11/30/17 06:17 PM
L
Luke Scribner Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
L
One place that I consistently find big fish is places with rocks and deep / steep drop offs (ex: bridges, around boat ramps, etc.) these are places that don't usually get a lot of pressure, over the past year I've caught 10 fish over 6 pounds in these areas. They hold big fish and allow them to transition back and forth pretty easily.

Re: Hunting Big Fish [Re: Brent S] #12521454 11/30/17 06:36 PM
H
hookinbass Offline
Angler
Angler
H
With my personal experience it’s a lot about timing.. With that been said put your self in a known big fish area and try and figure out when the big fish are there feeding.. I’ve got several spots and have notice that the big fish only feed at certain times of the day and it changes from day to day..

Last edited by hookinbass; 11/30/17 06:37 PM.

Lews
Xtreme Angler Series Rods
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide