Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Is this reel junk? [Re: Flippin-Out] #12491767 11/04/17 04:05 PM
Ken A. Online Content
Groovy
Online Content
Groovy
Originally Posted By: Flippin-Out
You lay the supply spool flat on the floor below the tip of the rod. The line should spiral off the side of the spool and look like a slinky/spring going up the rod tip. The line needs to come off the supply spool the opposite direction that it goes on the reel. This is what does the tit-for-tat to reduce line twist.

Fluorocarbon goes with ANY spinning reel about as calmly as gasoline with a fire. Bad choice. I've found 20# (standard no-frills) PowerPro braid to work great with my smaller spinning reels used in coastal waters. If the water is clear (rarely for me), I can use a 17# co-polymer leader. No fluoro for me in saltwater applications.

Another VERY important thing to do: Close the bail manually by hand. DO NOT turn the handle to make the bail close. If you do it by turning the handle, several twists get put into the line for every cast - each time you close the bail that way. Pushing the bail over by hand avoids this. This pointer isn't an old wives' tale; I learned from a guide. My problem went away when I started hand-closing the bail.

This guys gets it.

Ronnie,

It is next to impossible to put line on any spinning reel without some line twist. Reason being is that even doing it properly like this man details, it still will have a certain amount of line twist. Google the word spinning reel and it says, "A reel that twists your line all to heck" roflmao

Here is why: The diameter of the new spool of line you are pulling from is much larger than the spool diameter of the reel, about double in fact. So everyone gets it that the line is twisting going onto the reel. The line is also twisting coming off the new spool but Half as much due to the size of the new spool being larger. Capiche?

One of my buddies that is a shaky head, drop shot guru does this every time he puts new line on his spinning reels. He uses Invisx 10# normally.

He carefully winds the new line onto his reel making sure it comes off the new spool the opposite that it is going onto the reel. Once he gets the reel full to his liking he then ties off a ball bearing swivel to a fence at his home. He ties the new line to it and opens the bail. He backs off until every foot of line is off the reel. Then he gently stretches it allowing all twist to leave the line.

After this he sprays KVD line conditioner to a rag and holds the line in front of the reel as he winds it back on. He walks slowly back toward his tie off point as he reels. About halfway back he stops and sprays more line conditioner on the rag. He keeps doing this until he gets to the fence.

Pain in the rear?? Absolutely! He also manually closes the bail every time.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Is this reel junk? [Re: k.l.white] #12491784 11/04/17 04:32 PM
J
Jigman Offline
Angler
Angler
J
next time you go to lake take lure off put line in water and trolling motor on high and remove all line then reel it back up with line in water .should solve problem..

Good Fishing.
Re: Is this reel junk? [Re: k.l.white] #12491830 11/04/17 05:20 PM
Bruce Allen Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
years ago we surf fished with long rods and heavy duty spinning reels and now and then when casting a 10 oz sinker and bait rig the bail would close and the whole rig would break off.

our solution was to just cut the bail off down to the line roller. Then when casting catch the line at the reel with our finger and put it on the take up bearing and no more problems or line twist.

might solve a lot of twist problems beyond putting the line on properly.

Lake Fork Anglers
Every Thursday
Daytime Tournaments.

Lake Fork Sportsman's Association
www.lakeforksa.com/

We are VERY PROUD of our Induction into the
Texas Freshwater Fishing Hall of Fame.

Re: Is this reel junk? [Re: Ken A.] #12491886 11/04/17 06:11 PM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Ken A.
You lay the supply spool flat on the floor below the tip of the rod. The line should spiral off the side of the spool and look like a slinky/spring going up the rod tip. The line needs to come off the supply spool the opposite direction that it goes on the reel. This is what does the tit-for-tat to reduce line twist.

Fluorocarbon goes with ANY spinning reel about as calmly as gasoline with a fire. Bad choice. I've found 20# (standard no-frills) PowerPro braid to work great with my smaller spinning reels used in coastal waters. If the water is clear (rarely for me), I can use a 17# co-polymer leader. No fluoro for me in saltwater applications.

Another VERY important thing to do: Close the bail manually by hand. DO NOT turn the handle to make the bail close. If you do it by turning the handle, several twists get put into the line for every cast - each time you close the bail that way. Pushing the bail over by hand avoids this. This pointer isn't an old wives' tale; I learned from a guide. My problem went away when I started hand-closing the bail.

This guys gets it.

Ronnie,

It is next to impossible to put line on any spinning reel without some line twist. Reason being is that even doing it properly like this man details, it still will have a certain amount of line twist. Google the word spinning reel and it says, "A reel that twists your line all to heck" roflmao

Here is why: The diameter of the new spool of line you are pulling from is much larger than the spool diameter of the reel, about double in fact. So everyone gets it that the line is twisting going onto the reel. The line is also twisting coming off the new spool but Half as much due to the size of the new spool being larger. Capiche?

One of my buddies that is a shaky head, drop shot guru does this every time he puts new line on his spinning reels. He uses Invisx 10# normally.

He carefully winds the new line onto his reel making sure it comes off the new spool the opposite that it is going onto the reel. Once he gets the reel full to his liking he then ties off a ball bearing swivel to a fence at his home. He ties the new line to it and opens the bail. He backs off until every foot of line is off the reel. Then he gently stretches it allowing all twist to leave the line.

After this he sprays KVD line conditioner to a rag and holds the line in front of the reel as he winds it back on. He walks slowly back toward his tie off point as he reels. About halfway back he stops and sprays more line conditioner on the rag. He keeps doing this until he gets to the fence.

Thanks Ken, the spool of line I used was 1/2 a spool but still has to come off the outside of the spool. Don't know if that helps or hurts. I also had flouro on the reel which I didn't know was wrong for a SR. I only use the SR for drop shoting and I bet I could do just as well with a bait caster. I don't need the hassle and reeling left handed is not my cup of tea either. Aggies getting there a$$ beat as I'm typing this. Geez.

I am a Senager. (Senior teenager) I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, only 50 years later. I get an allowance every month. I have PU truck and a bass boat, I am blessed.
Conscience never acquits, it either accuses or excuses.
Re: Is this reel junk? [Re: k.l.white] #12492090 11/04/17 09:53 PM
W
WAWI Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
W
Yes it's junk

Re: Is this reel junk? [Re: GIG'EM AGGIES] #12492561 11/05/17 03:52 AM
Ken A. Online Content
Groovy
Online Content
Groovy

[/quote]

Thanks Ken, the spool of line I used was 1/2 a spool but still has to come off the outside of the spool. Don't know if that helps or hurts. I also had flouro on the reel which I didn't know was wrong for a SR. I only use the SR for drop shoting and I bet I could do just as well with a bait caster. I don't need the hassle and reeling left handed is not my cup of tea either. Aggies getting there a$$ beat as I'm typing this. Geez. [/quote]

You can catch just as many fish on a baitcaster with a dropshot rig. Lots of rod companies make dropshot baitcasting rods. Put a Chronarch 50 MG reel on there and you'll be set.

Re: Is this reel junk? [Re: GIG'EM AGGIES] #12492565 11/05/17 03:56 AM
Ken A. Online Content
Groovy
Online Content
Groovy
Originally Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

This guys gets it.

Ronnie,

Thanks Ken, the spool of line I used was 1/2 a spool but still has to come off the outside of the spool. Don't know if that helps or hurts. I also had flouro on the reel which I didn't know was wrong for a SR. I only use the SR for drop shoting and I bet I could do just as well with a bait caster. I don't need the hassle and reeling left handed is not my cup of tea either. Aggies getting there a$$ beat as I'm typing this. Geez.

You can catch just as many fish on a baitcaster with a dropshot rig. Lots of rod companies make dropshot baitcasting rods. Put a Chronarch 50 MG reel on there and you'll be set.

Some of the best drop-shotters on Fork use only baitcasters.

Leave the egg beater rigs for crappie. roflmao

Re: Is this reel junk? [Re: k.l.white] #12492626 11/05/17 07:48 AM
F
Flippin-Out Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
Ken A., thanks for tackling the twist-due-to-different-spool-diameter aspect. I ignored that factor for simplicity. If I spool using the reel, I also free-drag the line in the water with no lure and rewind for that best-scenario fill. At home, I use an actual electric line winder (like tackle shops) to refill the removed spool from a bulk spool. When the line winds from drum to drum like that, I add zero twist, of course.

Re: Is this reel junk? [Re: Ken A.] #12492669 11/05/17 11:52 AM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity

This guys gets it.

Ronnie,

Some of the best drop-shotters on Fork use only baitcasters.

Leave the egg beater rigs for crappie. roflmao

That's all I needed to hear, I'm going with a bait caster. Now I have an extra crappie rig. Ken knows his stuff and shares. Thanks Granpa.

I am a Senager. (Senior teenager) I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, only 50 years later. I get an allowance every month. I have PU truck and a bass boat, I am blessed.
Re: Is this reel junk? [Re: GIG'EM AGGIES] #12492881 11/05/17 03:29 PM
Ken A. Online Content
Groovy
Online Content
Groovy

That's all I needed to hear, I'm going with a bait caster. Now I have an extra crappie rig. Ken knows his stuff and shares. Thanks Granpa.

Looks like Grand Daddy will be the new name. clap

Re: Is this reel junk? [Re: Ken A.] #12492889 11/05/17 03:45 PM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity

Looks like Grand Daddy will be the new name. clap

You'll make a good one, welcome to the club.

Re: Is this reel junk? [Re: k.l.white] #12492890 11/05/17 03:46 PM
Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life) Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Learned something new today! Thanks Ken, I always use braid on my spinning reels 15,20 lb i do however not like
Original power pro I have had some bad issues with it tangling up. I really like the power pro supper slick

Re: Is this reel junk? [Re: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)] #12492920 11/05/17 04:16 PM
Ken A. Online Content
Groovy
Online Content
Groovy
Originally Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)
Learned something new today! Thanks Ken, I always use braid on my spinning reels 15,20 lb i do however not like
Original power pro I have had some bad issues with it tangling up. I really like the power pro supper slick

I like Super Slick too Jake but for a newbie like the OP, he doesn't need to get wrapped up in the tiny deets of all the hard core bassin techniques like us Basshead goobers. LOL

Re: Is this reel junk? [Re: k.l.white] #12493485 11/06/17 01:03 AM
west tex angler Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Same experience here, I use only braid now. 15 to 20 lb works like a charm, I don't use a leader and I can't see that its cost me any fish, even on a drop shot.
Try Braid, you'll like it.

PB 9lbs 13oz
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide