Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Lake Hawkins [Re: GIG'EM AGGIES] #12484368 10/30/17 03:41 PM
B
BassColonel Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
Anybody here live or have a house on Lake Hawkins? How do you like it. How long does it take to drive into Tyler? We will be retiring in about 5 years and are looking for a lake to live on that is not too far from a good size town. Also looking at Lake Cherokee near Longview.

The Bass Colonel
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Lake Hawkins [Re: BassColonel] #12484527 10/30/17 05:48 PM
T
Txduckhunter Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted By: BassColonel
Anybody here live or have a house on Lake Hawkins? How do you like it. How long does it take to drive into Tyler? We will be retiring in about 5 years and are looking for a lake to live on that is not too far from a good size town. Also looking at Lake Cherokee near Longview.

Perhaps 45 min to an hour to Tyler.
Pretty lake but wouldn't be my first choice. I don't trust the surrounding area.

Re: Lake Hawkins [Re: Txduckhunter] #12484538 10/30/17 05:58 PM
B
Bug-e Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
Originally Posted By: Txduckhunter

Perhaps 45 min to an hour to Tyler.
Pretty lake but wouldn't be my first choice. I don't trust the surrounding area.

That seems true for so many lakes. Seems like lakefront property is either outrageously expensive or the area is pretty iffy.

Re: Lake Hawkins [Re: GIG'EM AGGIES] #12484712 10/30/17 08:16 PM
A
Allen Bass Fisher Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
A
If Hawks Point is the small ramp by the road that crosses the lake, it is very small and very little parking. If you are launching a kayak or something small it may be OK. Small ramp by the Italian Restaurant (which has good food) is OK to launch from.

If they take five feet out of Hawkins, the end past the bridge will be pretty much high and dry.

Re: Lake Hawkins [Re: GIG'EM AGGIES] #12484781 10/30/17 09:13 PM
Jtunnell Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
My Aunt and Uncle built a house out there about 3-4 years ago, and my parents just moved there in May. They all absolutely love it. Decent size lake that doesnt get too much recreational traffic or abused on Holidays. Decent fishing, and youre close to several awesome bass lakes. My dad commutes to Tyler for work and said its not bad at all. There are a few decent restaurants and bars close by too.

Re: Lake Hawkins [Re: BassColonel] #12484855 10/30/17 10:16 PM
Kay Dyson Offline
HOT Mess!!!
HOT Mess!!!

One thing to really consider is medical attention, finding a doctor, good hospitals nearby etc... In a heart attack or Stroke situation you only have about 20- mins on average to seek help, if your lucky. Our neighborhood bought a defibrillator unit and placed in an area all can access if needed quickly.. Chopper ride is 20 mins coming to ya then the ride in, another 20. At least that's what it is on fork where we are to Tyler.

Re: Lake Hawkins [Re: Frank the Tank] #12484954 10/30/17 11:46 PM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Frank the Tank
Originally Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES
Originally Posted By: Frank the Tank
Somewhere in one of those coves a guy posted GPS of some rebar that was banged into some stumps. He tore his glass boat up last year I think. Be careful.

I will Frank, thanks for the heads up. Thanks everyone for the help. Hope to post a good review.

And that rebar was in one of the coves on the right before you get to bridge if memory serves along the SE bank

Right on Frank, it was the last cove on the right before you get to the bridge. They're above water now because they're drawing the lake down. Why anyone would drive rebar into the top of these stumps is beyond me. When the lake is at full pool you want be able to see them.

I am a Senager. (Senior teenager) I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, only 50 years later. I get an allowance every month. I have PU truck and a bass boat, I am blessed.
Conscience never acquits, it either accuses or excuses.
Re: Lake Hawkins [Re: GIG'EM AGGIES] #12484960 10/30/17 11:59 PM
H
heybaylor Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
H
[review. [/quote]above water now because they're drawing the lake down. Why anyone would drive rebar into the top of these stumps is beyond me. When the lake is at full pool you want be able to see them.

because rebar is cheap. and so is the person
they are so dumb, that they mark stumps not realizing that the rebar will get hit and bent over to do damage to others , BTW it is against the law ( but so is speeding)
I have pulled out many, "tip" if it is deep in the wood , bend it over 90 degrees and rotate until it is free.
rebar is good on the bottom of any lake
Rant over

heybaylor
Re: Lake Hawkins [Re: GIG'EM AGGIES] #12484965 10/31/17 12:09 AM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
Well, fished Lake Hawkins today and was disappointed in the fishing. They're drawing the lake down and between that and the north wind it was tough. Caught two dinks and threw everything but a gill net at them. Dangerous lake to fish too when the lake is at full pool. Somebody has driven rebar in the top of the stumps in quite a few places. They are visible now but at full pool they will be just under the water. I've posted pictures of one location. I marked balls of shad at 18-22 Ft. with hooks under them. Tried a drop shot rig and also C-rig but no luck. Fish 8-9 areas of lily pads, 5 points, rip rap at the dam and several areas with lay downs but not a nibble. The lake dropped 3-4" while I was there.
The TFF'ers who are considering moving there I would recommend another lake. Hard to get in and out of and the only decent ramp is at the Park and it's one lane and very narrow. Building a home there would take a lot of clearing. There is a good hospital in Mineola and that appears to be the closet town for shopping and restaurants. I would check the area out closely before you make plans to retire there.
Fishing sucked for me today but it could be because of draw down and high pressure system. I won't be going back.

I am a Senager. (Senior teenager) I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, only 50 years later. I get an allowance every month. I have PU truck and a bass boat, I am blessed.
Conscience never acquits, it either accuses or excuses.
Re: Lake Hawkins [Re: GIG'EM AGGIES] #12484989 10/31/17 12:28 AM
Kay Dyson Offline
HOT Mess!!!
HOT Mess!!!
Originally Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES
Well, fished Lake Hawkins today and was disappointed in the fishing. They're drawing the lake down and between that and the north wind it was tough. Caught two dinks and threw everything but a gill net at them. Dangerous lake to fish too when the lake is at full pool. Somebody has driven rebar in the top of the stumps in quite a few places. They are visible now but at full pool they will be just under the water. I've posted pictures of one location. I marked balls of shad at 18-22 Ft. with hooks under them. Tried a drop shot rig and also C-rig but no luck. Fish 8-9 areas of lily pads, 5 points, rip rap at the dam and several areas with lay downs but not a nibble. The lake dropped 3-4" while I was there.
The TFF'ers who are considering moving there I would recommend another lake. Hard to get in and out of and the only decent ramp is at the Park and it's one lane and very narrow. Building a home there would take a lot of clearing. There is a good hospital in Mineola and that appears to be the closet town for shopping and restaurants. I would check the area out closely before you make plans to retire there.
Fishing sucked for me today but it could be because of draw down and high pressure system. I won't be going back.

Good report and info going forward, thumb

Re: Lake Hawkins [Re: GIG'EM AGGIES] #12487496 11/01/17 02:59 PM
361V Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
I have always thought Hawkins was a beautiful East Texas gem of a lake but it always disappoints(me) from a fishing standpoint. I have stunk it up every time I have fished it, falling water or not. Never really seemed to "get on them" each time I have gone but do agree it's a gorgeous classic looking East Texas lake. Stumps, pads, pine trees... As I approach retirement I have always looked at Holbrook, Fork, Athens, Hawkins...all the different scenic East Texas lakes as possibilities. Distance to hospitals is huge(whether we want to admit it or not)but for me the biggest negative to Hawkins has always been that almost all the "lake front" homes are actually across the county road from the lake. Have to walk across the road in your underwear to enjoy your morning coffee sitting on your own boat dock because the house and dock are on opposite sides of the road.(your welcome for the visual!).

Re: Lake Hawkins [Re: GIG'EM AGGIES] #12487886 11/01/17 06:30 PM
D
Douglas J Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
D
Gig'em go back in the spring, it's a fun site fishing lake!

#MFGA
Re: Lake Hawkins [Re: GIG'EM AGGIES] #12487912 11/01/17 06:47 PM
Jaguar6 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
How exactly are doing the draw down since its just an overspill? Kinda curious!

Old 18 Outfitters Pro Staff
Wicked Weights High Quality Tungsten Pro Staff
TH Marine Pro Staff
Fin Culture Fishing Apparel
Re: Lake Hawkins [Re: GIG'EM AGGIES] #12487925 11/01/17 06:59 PM
361V Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Has a little tower/gate right by the overflow. Actually most "constant level" lakes with an overflow still have a gate of some type to give more options for depth control(such as a draw down). Welsh, Athens, Houston County.....

Re: Lake Hawkins [Re: GIG'EM AGGIES] #12488087 11/01/17 09:19 PM
Reds Bass Guide on Sandlin Offline
Angler
Angler
Bass colonel Hawkins is my childhood lake. I choose not to return and buy there because the road crosses your lakefront lot. I have several stories of our dog being run over, Drunks at night going to fast etc. It wrecks it for me.

ShareLunker 3817
2019 Ranger Z520
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide