Forums59
Topics1,039,349
Posts13,963,249
Members144,201
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: I want your NEGATIVE experiences with the Ultrex. [Re: i-Fish] #12455724 10/06/17 06:52 PM
B
Barn Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
What shaft length are most of you going with? My old Maxxum went out again. I'll like to replace it on my BassCat Cougar.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: I want your NEGATIVE experiences with the Ultrex. [Re: i-Fish] #12455752 10/06/17 07:15 PM
W
WhiskeyTango223 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
W
The steering cables broke on my Ultrex while my son was fishing the college tournament on the Red River a couple of weeks ago, took it to warranty service center on Tuesday and picked it up Friday, installed it and the peddle didn't work. It would go full heel down and keep trying to turn the head of the motor, I'm sure that it happened on the River and that's what broke the cables. Took it back to the service center on Monday and picking it up today.

Up till then it's been flawless, won't own a boat without one till they come up with something better.

Last edited by WhiskeyTango223; 10/06/17 07:17 PM.

Texas Boat Works Prostaff
Pride Rods by Billy Kistler rep
Re: I want your NEGATIVE experiences with the Ultrex. [Re: i-Fish] #12455771 10/06/17 07:22 PM
Ted Martin Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
you want negative commentary on the ultrex, venture over to the bbc. I haven't been over there in a month or two but the TM section was littered with people b!tching about their ultrexes.

Re: I want your NEGATIVE experiences with the Ultrex. [Re: i-Fish] #12455976 10/06/17 10:08 PM
B
Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
B
Zero complaints with mine, wish I had it sooner is all!

Re: I want your NEGATIVE experiences with the Ultrex. [Re: i-Fish] #12456073 10/07/17 12:06 AM
txbassman2019 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Got to use the ultrexx for the first time a couple weeks ago, and it made fishing super easy... after three full days of fishing, out of no where, I was no longer getting power or able to move the trolling motor at all with the foot pedal. From what I was told at fun n sun, the magnetic deal in the head of the trolling motor (part of the TM that turns the prop) was shot. Had to send it off to minn Kota and get a new one. Thank Gifford warranty.

Re: I want your NEGATIVE experiences with the Ultrex. [Re: i-Fish] #12456130 10/07/17 01:05 AM
i-Fish Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
I dont mind hardware defects. Those can be fixed. I care about boat positioning and performance. Havent seen any remarks in regards to that yet, however.

If you can't find em wind em.
Re: I want your NEGATIVE experiences with the Ultrex. [Re: i-Fish] #12456160 10/07/17 01:27 AM
L
LakeTylerMan Offline
Angler
Angler
L
Don't know what you mean by performance? It works like any trolling motor. If you want to go fast, it goes fast just like my Fortrex did. If you want to go slow you dial it back. It uses a pedal just like the Fortrex except it runs by motor so there is no resistance when the pedal moves. The Spot Lock is great. I lock it and it stays there. I've not used it in strong winds yet so I'm not sure if when locked with wind at your back, if the boat turns but I'd assume it would. I did have a problem with Spot Lock disengaging. I called Minn Kota and after being instructed to change the position of zip ties under the pedal, it worked fine. The majority of posts here indicate owners are happy with positioning and performance.

2024 Skeeter FXR-L, Yamy 250 SHO
Re: I want your NEGATIVE experiences with the Ultrex. [Re: LakeTylerMan] #12456189 10/07/17 01:48 AM
i-Fish Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: LakeTylerMan
Don't know what you mean by performance? It works like any trolling motor. If you want to go fast, it goes fast just like my Fortrex did. If you want to go slow you dial it back. It uses a pedal just like the Fortrex except it runs by motor so there is no resistance when the pedal moves. The Spot Lock is great. I lock it and it stays there. I've not used it in strong winds yet so I'm not sure if when locked with wind at your back, if the boat turns but I'd assume it would. I did have a problem with Spot Lock disengaging. I called Minn Kota and after being instructed to change the position of zip ties under the pedal, it worked fine. The majority of posts here indicate owners are happy with positioning and performance.

Yes, the reviews have been overwhelmingly positive but it is the performance in situations like wind, that you mentioned, and positioning that Im interested in. If you caught a fish offshore or in a windy pocket, or were positioned off of a spot offshore fishing structure, did it keep your nose where it needed to be or was it inaccurate in holding position - did it spin your around to re-position....things like that...?

Re: I want your NEGATIVE experiences with the Ultrex. [Re: i-Fish] #12456195 10/07/17 01:56 AM
RCarter Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
i-Fish,

Have had one since December last year. Had problems with initial unit in that it would not go momentary but had to go constant on and use wheel to control speed. Minn Kota sent a new unit and have had no problems since.

With both units was able to sit over a brush pile on Falcon in 20+ mph wind and slay crappie. Could watch my front HDS-12 and never move for hours on end.

Wife says it's 2nd best thing I have ever gotten in my life. You can guess what #1 is.....

WORK HARD.....FISH HARDER!

GOD is Great...BEER is Good...and PEOPLE are CrAZy
billy currington
Re: I want your NEGATIVE experiences with the Ultrex. [Re: i-Fish] #12456202 10/07/17 02:02 AM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted By: i-Fish

Yes, the reviews have been overwhelmingly positive but it is the performance in situations like wind, that you mentioned, and positioning that Im interested in. If you caught a fish offshore or in a windy pocket, or were positioned off of a spot offshore fishing structure, did it keep your nose where it needed to be or was it inaccurate in holding position - did it spin your around to re-position....things like that...?

Mine has held two skeeters over a ridge in 20mph winds.

It does spin around in the wind to face into the wind......I guess .,,,since it isn't mounted in the back. It's mounted onto the front and PULLS the boat against wind/current.

If you are trying to find a good reason not to buy one, then you don't want one. It's that easy.

Performance wise.....it is the best. There is nothing to fault. It is expensive. That is the only negative.

.......these Ultrex threads are something else. Lol

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: I want your NEGATIVE experiences with the Ultrex. [Re: SteezMacQueen] #12456218 10/07/17 02:14 AM
i-Fish Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: SteezMacQueen
Originally Posted By: i-Fish

Mine has held two skeeters over a ridge in 20mph winds.

It does spin around in the wind to face into the wind......I guess .,,,since it isn't mounted in the back. It's mounted onto the front and PULLS the boat against wind/current.

If you are trying to find a good reason not to buy one, then you don't want one. It's that easy.

Performance wise.....it is the best. There is nothing to fault. It is expensive. That is the only negative.

.......these Ultrex threads are something else. Lol

Just doing my due diligence. The truth is I want one. Badly. But someone that I respect, and many of you here on TFF are familiar with, doesnt trust them. So im weighing his valued opinion against the opninon of those that are very familiar with them. Im looking for the worst review I can find. So far Ive found enough to tell me that Ill be putting one on my boat. Just FYI, if Im willing to put 2 PPs on a boat then Im not against saving a few grand by putting an ultrex on my boat instead.

Last edited by i-Fish; 10/07/17 02:16 AM.

Re: I want your NEGATIVE experiences with the Ultrex. [Re: i-Fish] #12456230 10/07/17 02:28 AM
i-Fish Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Truth is I havent been around boats, or fishing for that matter, for very long at all and Im just looking for the most honest information out there. Thats why I frequent this forum.

Re: I want your NEGATIVE experiences with the Ultrex. [Re: i-Fish] #12456445 10/07/17 01:25 PM
M
McLovin’ Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
M
Yeah, I got nothing...LOL

Best thing I've ever had on a boat...after you get it you'll understand
Main thing with me is It's much easier after a few tournament days in a row on my back, etc...

Re: I want your NEGATIVE experiences with the Ultrex. [Re: i-Fish] #12456462 10/07/17 01:41 PM
G
GRUMPS Offline
Angler
Angler
G
Best thing I ever added to a bass boat.

Re: I want your NEGATIVE experiences with the Ultrex. [Re: i-Fish] #12456498 10/07/17 02:42 PM
Ken A. Online Content
Groovy
Online Content
Groovy
I have an early model Terrova. The only complaint I have is the crappy mount. I want an Ultrex just don't fish enough these days to justify.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide