Forums59
Topics1,039,386
Posts13,963,694
Members144,202
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: How to hook Baits made with ElazTech? [Re: befuddled] #12396821 08/22/17 11:19 PM
B
Brad R Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
That is correct: it is the elasticity that makes the plastic push away from even a pointed object . . . like a hook.

Bobby, yes, they are super strong in "fishing terms" and you can grab a 3" worm and stretch it about 18", give or take, without it snapping. Fish won't likely break it by stretching it nor will they be able to easily bite through it. The same properties that repel a sharp hook, repel sharp tiny bass teeth.

Heck, I'm not sure a barracuda could bite through ElazTech plastic.

I was so frustrated with my paddle tail shad-like Yamamoto baits getting their paddles bitten off that I tried the ElazTech version. I don't think they get the same number of bites, but they hold together.

Brad

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: How to hook Baits made with ElazTech? [Re: i-Fish] #12397134 08/23/17 03:06 AM
B
bubbaque Offline
Angler
Angler
B
I use 5 to 7 ewg hooks on the large baits and 3 to 4 on smaller it overcomes bouyancy and is easier to attach hook

Haulinbassguide.com Fish hard / live slow
Re: How to hook Baits made with ElazTech? [Re: befuddled] #12397364 08/23/17 12:37 PM
Z
ZMFish Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
Z
There is some good info in this thread on rigging with our ElaZtech plastics. There are lots of rigging tip videos on our YouTube channel that provide a lot more info.

Because the ElaZtech material is so tough, there is a little bit of a learning curve in learning to rig it easily. A good analogy is braided line - when superbraids first came out, anglers were frustrated because they had to use different knots, adjust drag settings in some cases to account for lack of stretch, etc. But like with braid, the advantages of the material (namely buoyancy, softness, and durability) certainly make the extra effort worthwhile.

For Texas rigging, check out the Mustad Grip Pin line of hooks. The keepers on these hooks do a great job of preventing the baits from sliding down the hook shank. As far as the hook not going through the plastic when embedded in the bait goes, we have found this to be a non-issue and really a misconception about the material. In fact, several of our Elite Series pros have told us that hooks actually penetrate more easily through ElaZtech because it is so soft.

When rigging on a jighead, try stretching and pulling the end of the bait over the keeper rather than trying to push it over the keeper. Jigheads with sharp keepers or wire keepers tend to hold our material a lot better than other styles of jigheads. If your jigheads don't have these styles of keepers, a drop of superglue will hold the bait on the jig as long as you want it to be on there. We recommend LocTite and Gorilla Glue super glue gels because they aren't as runny and are compatible with our material.

As noted above, screw locks are difficult to use with ElaZtech. This is because our material is so tear-resistant. However, you definitely can still use screw locks if you heat up the screw lock a little bit first or it you squeeze the nose of the bait tightly when inserting the screw lock.

Regarding buoyancy, this is really one of the most significant advantages of the ElaZtech material. Most other plastics do not float, even if they are not salt-impregnated. This really makes the baits come alive underwater, especially when dragged along the bottom, and really offers a completely different look that fish aren't used to seeing.

Let us know if you have any questions on rigging our baits, and thanks for the interest!

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide