Originally Posted By: Stickchunker
There is no magic bullet for everyone, each person is going to do it different, there are a bunch of videos on YouTube for you to watch, and you'll soon see that most all of the pros skip different from one another, some say all brake, others say no brake, just thumb control, with that being said, i do it like Andy Montgomery, even bought a Tatula with the T-Wing, works pretty well for "me".

Best advice i can give you, take your skipping rod and hit the lake, find a cove that's pretty calm and just practice, if you can find some docks to throw at, that's even better, but don't go out with the mindset that you're going to whack them skipping docks that day, you're there to practice and learn, catching a fish that you skipped to is just a plus.

Hope this helps!

Good Luck!

Agreed. Didn't need to skip baits much when I was in Texas because most docks were pole docks and the water was always low. Since moving to the Lake Norman area I had to learn to skip because all of the docks are floating type. I met Andy Montgomery at the spring fishing event at BPS in Charlotte a few years ago and took his advice on the set up. A good rod with 20% tip, I use a Dobyns Champion 684, and a good reel. I started with the Tatula and it worked pretty good but now I use an Abu Garcia Revo Premier. I like 17-20lb Flouro but all of this is my preference. At first it was all brakes and spool tension now it is mostly thumb pressure. The key is it takes a lot of practice but you have also have to find the combination of rod/reel/line that you are comfortable with. Andy Montgomery is the master at skipping docks so his videos are a great guide.