Forums59
Topics1,039,384
Posts13,963,657
Members144,202
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: PSA Concerning Recreational Use of Inflatable PFDs by Fishermen [Re: Flippin-Out] #12355928 07/24/17 07:37 PM
1oldbassguy Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Agree that I appreciate the law on the water supporting our use and safety . I also agree that they need to fully understand the law ---- no guessing .
Inflatable PFD's are difficult to understand if they are truly safer , or just more convenient .
Several years ago a prominent guide listed all the reasons he doesn't allow his customers to use anything but a standard life vest ----no inflatables .
Main reason was that Inflatable PFD's are NEVER tested for use at high speed impact for bass boats. Including the USCG , they only test total weight supported and consistency on actual inflation .
I read an article where a bass fisherman was at full speed when the hydraulic connection at the motor came undone and his ProXS250 turned 90degree's instantly and he was launched out of his boat @ 70 MPH . He hit the water so hard it ripped his inflatable off his body ( still connected around the waist , but not around his shoulders/head ). Luckily , he maintained consciousness after impact and survived . He was positive that he had the inflatable PFD on properly --snug fit etc... If he had been knocked unconscious , he was positive the inflatable PFD would have drowned him versus keeping him alive with his head above water .

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: PSA Concerning Recreational Use of Inflatable PFDs by Fishermen [Re: 1oldbassguy] #12355983 07/24/17 08:09 PM
T
Txduckhunter Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted By: 1oldbassguy
Agree that I appreciate the law on the water supporting our use and safety . I also agree that they need to fully understand the law ---- no guessing .
Inflatable PFD's are difficult to understand if they are truly safer , or just more convenient .
Several years ago a prominent guide listed all the reasons he doesn't allow his customers to use anything but a standard life vest ----no inflatables .
Main reason was that Inflatable PFD's are NEVER tested for use at high speed impact for bass boats. Including the USCG , they only test total weight supported and consistency on actual inflation .
I read an article where a bass fisherman was at full speed when the hydraulic connection at the motor came undone and his ProXS250 turned 90degree's instantly and he was launched out of his boat @ 70 MPH . He hit the water so hard it ripped his inflatable off his body ( still connected around the waist , but not around his shoulders/head ). Luckily , he maintained consciousness after impact and survived . He was positive that he had the inflatable PFD on properly --snug fit etc... If he had been knocked unconscious , he was positive the inflatable PFD would have drowned him versus keeping him alive with his head above water .

My partner and I were ejected this year at about 60mph. I wear inflatables in my boat but since we were in his boat, I wore one of his "traditional" PFD's.
I'm pretty convinced that had I been wearing my inflatable, I would have had broken ribs instead of just being sore. I won't wear them in my big boat again for that reason. They have now become my duck hunting PFD's since there are no high speeds in my duck boat.

Re: PSA Concerning Recreational Use of Inflatable PFDs by Fishermen [Re: Flippin-Out] #12356075 07/24/17 09:10 PM
T
tin man 55 Offline
Angler
Angler
T
I think I'm missing something here (wouldn't be the first time). if you are fishing (no big motor running), what difference does it make where you have your "automatic" PFD on or your "conventional" PFD on? I didn't think you were required to have anything on (well, other than shorts) if you were just fishing with your trolling motor. neither unit will protect you if you fall out of the boat while fishing if it's laying in the driver's seat.

2014 Ranger RT-188
115 Mercury Pro-XS
Lowrance Gen-3 units
Ultrex
Re: PSA Concerning Recreational Use of Inflatable PFDs by Fishermen [Re: tin man 55] #12356095 07/24/17 09:20 PM
buda13 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: tin man 55
I think I'm missing something here (wouldn't be the first time). if you are fishing (no big motor running), what difference does it make where you have your "automatic" PFD on or your "conventional" PFD on? I didn't think you were required to have anything on (well, other than shorts) if you were just fishing with your trolling motor. neither unit will protect you if you fall out of the boat while fishing if it's laying in the driver's seat.

The law on inflatable's as I understand it is that if you do not have the inflatable on it does not count as a life jacket on board. So if you are out fishing and take your inflatable off when you shut down and put the trolling motor in the water you better have an additional standard life jacket somewhere in that boat because your inflatable when not on your person does not count as a life jacket. This is how the law was described to me by a game warden, so until another game warden tells me otherwise that is what I'm going to follow no matter what I read on the TFF.

Re: PSA Concerning Recreational Use of Inflatable PFDs by Fishermen [Re: Flippin-Out] #12356102 07/24/17 09:26 PM
reeltexan Online Happy
TFF Celebrity
Online Happy
TFF Celebrity

Sounds like they found a wrinkle in the law.

That'll bring in some scratch.

"..The pleasantist angling is to see the fish
Cut with her golden oars the silver stream,
And greedily devour the treacherous bait.
Bill Shakespeare

[Linked Image]
Re: PSA Concerning Recreational Use of Inflatable PFDs by Fishermen [Re: buda13] #12356134 07/24/17 09:44 PM
T
Txduckhunter Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted By: buda13
Originally Posted By: tin man 55

The law on inflatable's as I understand it is that if you do not have the inflatable on it does not count as a life jacket on board. So if you are out fishing and take your inflatable off when you shut down and put the trolling motor in the water you better have an additional standard life jacket somewhere in that boat because your inflatable when not on your person does not count as a life jacket. This is how the law was described to me by a game warden, so until another game warden tells me otherwise that is what I'm going to follow no matter what I read on the TFF.

Same thing I was told.

Re: PSA Concerning Recreational Use of Inflatable PFDs by Fishermen [Re: Flippin-Out] #12356186 07/24/17 10:20 PM
S
Slade Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
A game warden on fork once told me that if two people are in the boat that one person must wear one at all times. Didn't make sense to me. I have seen people on pontoon boats not wearing them but I told my buddy to put it on just for the sake of argument.

PB 10.58 Joe Pool

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide