Forums59
Topics1,040,610
Posts13,984,320
Members144,241
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: WR Bass Hunt - Is this dude for real? [Re: Fisherdad58] #12348898 07/20/17 01:05 AM
R
Rayzor Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
R
I want a 75K Ranger Intracoastal. You think these people could pony-up for that???? I'm worthy!

Be safe,
Rayzor
[Linked Image]
2001 Triton Tx-21/225 Mercury EFI
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: WR Bass Hunt - Is this dude for real? [Re: Jpurdue] #12348911 07/20/17 01:12 AM
J
Joefishhunter Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
If you grow a WR in a fish tank It doesnt count!!!!

I never lie. I just never tell the whole truth lol
Re: WR Bass Hunt - Is this dude for real? [Re: Jpurdue] #12349085 07/20/17 02:12 AM
reeltexan Online Happy
TFF Celebrity
Online Happy
TFF Celebrity

Grow one and we'll see.

"..The pleasantist angling is to see the fish
Cut with her golden oars the silver stream,
And greedily devour the treacherous bait.
Bill Shakespeare

[Linked Image]
Re: WR Bass Hunt - Is this dude for real? [Re: crankn101] #12349190 07/20/17 03:01 AM
B
Bobby Milam Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
Originally Posted By: crankn101
Wait, so you guys would count a WR from a private lake coddled to 23 pounds?

Thats as bad as a pen raised deer.

My feelings exactly.

Re: WR Bass Hunt - Is this dude for real? [Re: reeltexan] #12349203 07/20/17 03:07 AM
B
Bobby Milam Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
Originally Posted By: reeltexan

I didn't know about the rule. Maybe his personal ethics played a bigger part.

The way I read the fishing regulations here, it is not a legally caught fish if hooked outside the mouth.

http://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/outdoo...evices-for-fish
Pole and Line

A line with hook, attached to a pole (includes rod and reel)

May be used to take GAME AND NONGAME fish.
It is unlawful to use a pole and line to take or attempt to take fish by foul-hooking, snagging, or jerking. A fish is foul-hooked when caught by a hook in an area other than the fish's mouth.

Re: WR Bass Hunt - Is this dude for real? [Re: fouzman] #12349403 07/20/17 11:43 AM
F
Frank the Tank Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
F
popcorn

Jesus loves all of us
Re: WR Bass Hunt - Is this dude for real? [Re: crankn101] #12349413 07/20/17 11:59 AM
J
Jpurdue Online Content OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Online Content
TFF Celebrity
J

Would you have counted Dottie, the fish caught in CA as the WR? Lake Dixon, the lake she was caught in, is scarcely any bigger than Camelot Bell. If you think Dottie wasn't coddled you'd be mistaken there as well. Dixon was stocked incessantly with pen raised trout too stupid to know they had been released into a lions den. Many of these big fish in CA feed within seconds of these fatty fish being released into the water!

I make no illusions that a public water DD is more difficult to catch than most private water fish. That said there is virtually no correlation to high fence hunting. You can't see these fish. They live in three dimensional space. And unlike a deer a bass can choose not to eat the bullet. CB and others like her are no guarantee, those fish can choose not to cooperate and they regularly do.

Last edited by Jpurdue; 07/20/17 12:00 PM.

"Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley." -A.L.

www.LunkerLore.com

Re: WR Bass Hunt - Is this dude for real? [Re: Jpurdue] #12349772 07/20/17 03:50 PM
Ken A. Offline
Groovy
Groovy
Originally Posted By: Jpurdue

Would you have counted Dottie, the fish caught in CA as the WR? Lake Dixon, the lake she was caught in, is scarcely any bigger than Camelot Bell. If you think Dottie wasn't coddled you'd be mistaken there as well. Dixon was stocked incessantly with pen raised trout too stupid to know they had been released into a lions den. Many of these big fish in CA feed within seconds of these fatty fish being released into the water!

I make no illusions that a public water DD is more difficult to catch than most private water fish. That said there is virtually no correlation to high fence hunting. You can't see these fish. They live in three dimensional space. And unlike a deer a bass can choose not to eat the bullet. CB and others like her are no guarantee, those fish can choose not to cooperate and they regularly do.

Since the beginning of bass fishing, someone has been trying to raise a WR bass. Nobody has even come close. Do you guys seriously think that all you have to do is dig a hole and stock it with bass and feed them until they hit 23 pounds??

The analogy of shooting a deer (or any other animal) in a high fenced area to catching a fish always comes up when folks start talking about really really big bass. This is Apples and Oranges guys.

We take clients to high fenced ranches every year so they can shoot a trophy axis or black buck. The stupid deer come running to the truck we are in as soon as they see it. It is the same truck used to pull the feed trailer. The last time we went the guide kept having to move the truck back away from the herd to make it feel more like a sport. These are canned hunts.

If you think going to a private lake like Cam Bell or La Perla is like that you are sadly mistaken. There have been many skilled anglers get skunked at CB. It is a poor comparison of the two.

Re: WR Bass Hunt - Is this dude for real? [Re: Ken A.] #12349858 07/20/17 04:39 PM
Chet Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
The real comparison is this. The secret to catching a 20lb bas is too fold. One it has to exist in TX., and second you have to get over it. A 20lb fish in Fork or any other large body of water is going to be real hard to get over. Size of lake etc. A 20 if it existed in the bell would have fisherman over it every day. So the odds of catching it are way far higher than on a large lake and to me it should not be considered for state or national records. This also is the reason some use the high fence argument since the fish is fenced in a very small area. You will never convince me it is an equal venture to catch a magnum fish in fork or any other impoundment vs a small pond full of biggins.

Re: WR Bass Hunt - Is this dude for real? [Re: Jpurdue] #12349865 07/20/17 04:44 PM
T
TEXASJIGSTER Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
I think the next WR will come from private waters and caught on live bait. I don't agree with that I don't think it should count if its caught like that.

Re: WR Bass Hunt - Is this dude for real? [Re: Jpurdue] #12349918 07/20/17 05:18 PM
J
Jpurdue Online Content OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Online Content
TFF Celebrity
J
As previously stated, I definitely agree catching a WR on public water would be a greater accomplishment. That said, nobody complained about Dottie on Dixon and if anything that lake is easier to fish than Bell. Dixon has clear water. It's nearly impossible to sight fish Bell. Just how large does the body of water have to be before you guys count it as a WR? 1 acre 10? 100? 1000? Just how "public" does it have to be? Dixon was in theory public, but I can assure that if you showed up at sun rise back in 2005 you weren't getting on that lake. In a lot of ways Bell is more public than Dixon. If you want on Bell it'll cost you, but you can do it, just about any time.

My whole point here is there are lots of shades of grey on this whole thing. I suspect we will see a new WR in our lifetimes, and whoever catches her is going to catch a lifetime of hell along with the fish. No matter how it's done there will be a cloud of naysayers buzzing his head for one of a million different reasons. I'd still volunteer to be that guy though. Tight lines gents!

"Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley." -A.L.

www.LunkerLore.com

Re: WR Bass Hunt - Is this dude for real? [Re: Thad Rains] #12349919 07/20/17 05:18 PM
Fishinfellow Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Thad Rains
Califruitia has a rule that all fish or game fish, must be caught in the mouth, and he didn't do it, so talk about heart break. Go look it up on BASSMASTER Mag. They ran a story about it.

That's not just a state by state rule. The IGFA won't certify a record that was snagged.

Thats my money fish
[Linked Image]
Kris Winhold
Re: WR Bass Hunt - Is this dude for real? [Re: Chet] #12350002 07/20/17 06:18 PM
fouzman Offline
Methuselah
Methuselah
Originally Posted By: Chet
The real comparison is this. The secret to catching a 20lb bas is too fold. One it has to exist in TX., and second you have to get over it. A 20lb fish in Fork or any other large body of water is going to be real hard to get over. Size of lake etc. A 20 if it existed in the bell would have fisherman over it every day. So the odds of catching it are way far higher than on a large lake and to me it should not be considered for state or national records. This also is the reason some use the high fence argument since the fish is fenced in a very small area. You will never convince me it is an equal venture to catch a magnum fish in fork or any other impoundment vs a small pond full of biggins.

The angler hours spent on Fork and on Camelot Bell probably even that equation out a bit, Chet. There aren't anglers on CB every day like there are on Fork, so the odds of someone getting over a giant on Fork probably aren't as long as you may think. Getting her to bite an artificial lure may be next to impossible though, due to pressure. Camelot Bell fish aren't very easy to catch either. I've been skunked there or had very poor days numerous times. There have been a few darned good pros fish the lake repeatedly and I don't think any of them have caught a fish over 12 or 13 lbs.

I will agree with you though that a private waters fish will never be considered a "World Record" buy the IGFA, nor should it be. As for Texas, we have both public and private water state records. It's conceivable that one day Texas' private waters state record could be larger than the public waters record of 18.18.

As for the sense of accomplishment for one versus the other, I'll leave that debate to those who care.

"Things turn out best for those who make the best of the way things turn out" - Zachary Troy Schrah - a young man with vision far beyond his years.
Re: WR Bass Hunt - Is this dude for real? [Re: Jpurdue] #12350053 07/20/17 06:41 PM
E
elkhartdom Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
E
figures people would donate to something like this, when I have a dear friend who cant work because he is waiting for a heart transplant in Houston, so far our gofund has raised a little over a grand, but these guys are just kicking it I guess.
Go figure

at the sound of my name, fish tremble
HI HO SILVER AWAY!!!ranger Z521,250 sho,black and silver
TD: BMET 6263
http://theboatcentertx.com
bmoet@facebook
"I humble myself before God, there the list ends" Sam Houston
Re: WR Bass Hunt - Is this dude for real? [Re: elkhartdom] #12350081 07/20/17 07:02 PM
D
Douglas J Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
D
Originally Posted By: elkhartdom
figures people would donate to something like this, when I have a dear friend who cant work because he is waiting for a heart transplant in Houston, so far our gofund has raised a little over a grand, but these guys are just kicking it I guess.
Go figure

Big part of a free society , people can give to anything no matter how useful or useless the cause may be

#MFGA
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide