Re: Fork, The Good Ol' Days [Re: Outdoor Therapy] #12323178 07/04/17 05:08 AM
H
Hog Jaw Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
H
Yup , good ole days

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Fork, The Good Ol' Days [Re: snickers] #12323240 07/04/17 11:49 AM
E
elkhunter7x6 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
E
Originally Posted By: snickers
Jim Purdy JW Peterson

thanks

Re: Fork, The Good Ol' Days [Re: GIG'EM AGGIES] #12323249 07/04/17 12:06 PM
west tex angler Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Originally Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES
Don't let'em fool ya, Outdoor they're just jealous. I didn't start fishing Fork until the summer of '86 but I can tell you this, the lake you're fishing now has zero resemblance to the lake back then. If you had a black/blue worm and a rod and reel you could catch fish especially if you knew where the old brood ponds were. I didn't have a trolling motor on my Kingfisher boat but didn't matter cause I could tie up to a tree, never move and catch bass till the world looked level. Thanks for posting those pictures, it helped me remember the "good 'ol days".

I started fishing Fork in the early 80's. I also fished out of a Kingfisher, 50 merc. and a silvertroll troll motor and a lowrance depth finder. We always stayed near a bridge so we wouldn't get lost. That used to happen a lot. We would stay at Pope's or Lake Fork Marina, can't remember which one, but I do remember that you couldn't see the lake from the dock. Just too many trees.
100 fish a day was common, even for a dufus like me. But I don't remember that folks were catching real big fish at that time. Just a lot of fish. I think the big fish started coming later, I might be wrong about that.

Last edited by west tex angler; 07/04/17 12:07 PM.

PB 9lbs 13oz
Re: Fork, The Good Ol' Days [Re: west tex angler] #12323263 07/04/17 12:35 PM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: west tex angler
Originally Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES
Don't let'em fool ya, Outdoor they're just jealous. I didn't start fishing Fork until the summer of '86 but I can tell you this, the lake you're fishing now has zero resemblance to the lake back then. If you had a black/blue worm and a rod and reel you could catch fish especially if you knew where the old brood ponds were. I didn't have a trolling motor on my Kingfisher boat but didn't matter cause I could tie up to a tree, never move and catch bass till the world looked level. Thanks for posting those pictures, it helped me remember the "good 'ol days".

I started fishing Fork in the early 80's. I also fished out of a Kingfisher, 50 merc. and a silvertroll troll motor and a lowrance depth finder. We always stayed near a bridge so we wouldn't get lost. That used to happen a lot. We would stay at Pope's or Lake Fork Marina, can't remember which one, but I do remember that you couldn't see the lake from the dock. Just too many trees.
100 fish a day was common, even for a dufus like me. But I don't remember that folks were catching real big fish at that time. Just a lot of fish. I think the big fish started coming later, I might be wrong about that.

There were some bigguns caught but few pictures and no certified scales available. Not sure about Pope's but Lake Fork Marina didn't open until March of '86. Most everyone launched at the 515 west ramp back then and I remember lots of folks sleeping in their trucks in the parking lot. I was one of them, lol.

I am a Senager. (Senior teenager) I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, only 50 years later. I get an allowance every month. I have PU truck and a bass boat, I am blessed.
Conscience never acquits, it either accuses or excuses.
Re: Fork, The Good Ol' Days [Re: Outdoor Therapy] #12323272 07/04/17 12:44 PM
Okie Poke Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
Ole' Mutha Forker.....she was a gem at one point, and every point!

😎 Dallas Cowboys....eventual Superbowl Champions 😎

Re: Fork, The Good Ol' Days [Re: Outdoor Therapy] #12323353 07/04/17 02:07 PM
C
Chato Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
C
Remember at 515w ramp you had to drive down prob 30 ft to the turn a round to launch..that was fun when it was busy

Re: Fork, The Good Ol' Days [Re: Outdoor Therapy] #12323503 07/04/17 04:01 PM
Kay Dyson Offline
HOT Mess!!!
HOT Mess!!!
I remember when Oakridge Lodge had chickens running around.. It was one of the very first marinas on the lake.. Cowhead was Killer from a Jon boat.

Re: Fork, The Good Ol' Days [Re: Kay Dyson] #12323627 07/04/17 05:38 PM
M
Mike Keenan Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
M
I miss the original Lunker Lodge off of 17. My first visit, I got to meet the owner I think his name was Scott? He was recovering from a recent motorcycle accident I think? He took a young teenager looking like Jeff Spicoli around his shop and got me all the right baits at the time (Stanley jigs, Jawtec baits and Lucky Strike worms) and a map. He introduced me to Ronnie Byrd and Mark Stevenson, they pointed out some spots on the map and told me how to fish the areas.

Then there was the place right behind there that made some of the best burgers on the planet. It was the size of a shack right off the water. Or EB's BBQ off 17 as well.

Yes I'm showing my age at times

R.I.P. Mike "pappy" "broken rod" Green born 07-16-62 on to better fishing 06-10-08.
www.basscat.com

Re: Fork, The Good Ol' Days [Re: Outdoor Therapy] #12323657 07/04/17 06:00 PM
K
kcb Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
K
Lunker Lodge......there is a memory. You're right Mike the owners name was Scott. Don't know if you remember but he had the biggest inventory of Bagley baits in probably the entire state. He had gotten some kind of big discount for one huge order. It was a cool place to stop. I believe his parents ran the little shak that served food. At least they did for a time. Another place we enjoyed stopping was Val's both on 515 and when they moved to the place on 2946.

Re: Fork, The Good Ol' Days [Re: Outdoor Therapy] #12323677 07/04/17 06:21 PM
E
eyeball Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
E
Reminds me of Big Sam, the Bass Factory back in the day.

I saw acres of 4-6 lb bass school at times. I saw spools collapse on Abu 5000s. I saw ice chests opened from fishing humps in the Black Forest at night that could only hold 3 bass.

Then, the bass clubs got enough clout to stop the commercial gill netters who caught thousands of lbs of egg eating carp and buffalo daily and killed hundreds of huge bass eating gator gar, fearing a big bass would die in the nets.

You could fish a couple of days and find big schools of big bass and fish them a few weeks before they moved on.

The fishing hasnt been the same since. The only reprieve the bass got was more restricted limits and warnings about the dangers of eating fish with toxins.

Later, I would tie up at the timberline crossing Pophers creek in the morning and wait to see the big gar rolling by the hundreds while moving my way from the main lake and toward me. When they got a half mile away the bass would reach me on their way to shallow water and timber. The fishing would be great until the gar reached me. Ive had gar that looked to be 8 ft long tear a stringer of bass off the side of the boat.

Now, i fish several days to find a school of fish in shallow water early in the summer and with the gar after them you can bet they wont be there the next day.

Its progress, i guess.

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day.

Teach a man to fish, he will sit in a boat all day and drink beer.
Re: Fork, The Good Ol' Days [Re: Chet] #12324121 07/05/17 01:43 AM
reeltexan Online Happy
TFF Celebrity
Online Happy
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Chet
I have a video we took in 1983 and have spent many nights staring at the coves we were fishing trying to figure out where we were. Still can't just too much timber but I can tell you that it was in Mar. and we sight fished for 3 days and never caught a fish under 4lb. Our guide, I believe his name was J B Barnes had the best eyes of any man I ever fished with. He spotted nests in 5-6 ft of water.

It was Barnes, he was the man for quite a while over there.
He also wrote the monthly fishing report on Fork for "Honey Hole Magazine".
I remember the early years at Fork. The first time I launched on Fork we had to use a submerged Farm to Market road because there were no ramps yet.
I'd look at all that timber and think..."I can get lost in there. There's NO WAY this lake is EVER going to get over fished." That's was back before they even raised it to pool level.

It was a long time ago.

"..The pleasantist angling is to see the fish
Cut with her golden oars the silver stream,
And greedily devour the treacherous bait.
Bill Shakespeare

[Linked Image]
Re: Fork, The Good Ol' Days [Re: kcb] #12324409 07/05/17 11:53 AM
M
Mike Keenan Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
M
Originally Posted By: kcb
Lunker Lodge......there is a memory. You're right Mike the owners name was Scott. Don't know if you remember but he had the biggest inventory of Bagley baits in probably the entire state. He had gotten some kind of big discount for one huge order. It was a cool place to stop. I believe his parents ran the little shak that served food. At least they did for a time. Another place we enjoyed stopping was Val's both on 515 and when they moved to the place on 2946.

He had a huge inventory of Bagley baits, what ever happened to Scott? I remember Val's for many years, if I'm not mistaking my uncle and I used to stay there and they had a steep ramp right outside their rooms? I loved fishing fork back in those days. I'm starting to feel my age here...

But I remember fishing with Ronnie Byrd and Mark Stevenson. Those two guys taught me a lot about map reading, jig fishing and fishing creek channels. Back in those days we would just fish the shoreline. Mind you it was the time period of the old LCR 8000, X-16

R.I.P. Mike "pappy" "broken rod" Green born 07-16-62 on to better fishing 06-10-08.
www.basscat.com

Re: Fork, The Good Ol' Days [Re: reeltexan] #12324456 07/05/17 12:42 PM
TBassYates Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: reeltexan
Originally Posted By: Chet
I have a video we took in 1983 and have spent many nights staring at the coves we were fishing trying to figure out where we were. Still can't just too much timber but I can tell you that it was in Mar. and we sight fished for 3 days and never caught a fish under 4lb. Our guide, I believe his name was J B Barnes had the best eyes of any man I ever fished with. He spotted nests in 5-6 ft of water.

It was Barnes, he was the man for quite a while over there.
He also wrote the monthly fishing report on Fork for "Honey Hole Magazine".
I remember the early years at Fork. The first time I launched on Fork we had to use a submerged Farm to Market road because there were no ramps yet.
I'd look at all that timber and think..."I can get lost in there. There's NO WAY this lake is EVER going to get over fished." That's was back before they even raised it to pool level.

It was a long time ago.

I remember first going to Fork in the 80's and launching from the end of old roads. Barnes was probably Larry Barnes who caught the awesome fish Valentine during those days. He was a great guy and guide. I used to fish with Ronnie Byrd all the time back in those early years. Great guide and jig fisherman that was a blast to fish with. Then I spent all of the 90's hanging around Vals Landing and tournament fishing with her son Kenny. Those were the days where we started night fishing around Memorial weekend through the summer. That was some fantastic fishing.

[Linked Image]
Re: Fork, The Good Ol' Days [Re: TBassYates] #12324681 07/05/17 03:00 PM
Chet Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
The guide we had used initials on his business card. Pretty sure it was JB. Real sure about Barnes. He had what at the time seemed like the latest gear, scales you laid the fish on etc. My memory is about like any 70 year old but he was a relatively young guy.

Last edited by Chet; 07/05/17 03:01 PM.

Re: Fork, The Good Ol' Days [Re: Outdoor Therapy] #12325937 07/06/17 02:10 AM
M
meP2too Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
M
the good ole days included a cheese burger and fries from rainswood marina, before heading out for night fishing.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide