Forums59
Topics1,039,326
Posts13,962,871
Members144,199
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Best "Practice" or Learning Fly Outfit? Need Help Please. [Re: MassAction] #12298243 06/17/17 11:15 AM
K
karstopo Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
K
Originally Posted By: MassAction

It's too easy to get caught up in paralysis by analysis with all the gear.

Isn't this the truth! Fly fishing seems especially susceptible to intense and sometimes excessive focus being put on the gear and the cast. It's a kind of madness that I'm fully invested in. You get your first outfit. You catch a fish or two in spite of really not knowing much about gear or the cast or anything. That gets you reading more about the gear and the cast. Then you realize there's better gear and a better way to cast and fish. So you get new gear and work on your cast and presentation. You catch more fish and then you see by all the reading and investigating there are other fish to catch besides your bread and butter fish. But that takes different gear and maybe a different cast and some new skills. So you get some new different gear and work on the new skills. But then you read there are still more types of fish in different places or that your bread and butter fish can be caught with gear that is 25% lighter and creates tighter loops for those windy days. So you get that gear and start to hate your old gear which you end up peddling it off to some other schumck...

The moral of the story is to never ever take up fly fishing because it is a sure path to insanity.

Re: Best "Practice" or Learning Fly Outfit? Need Help Please. [Re: MUHerd] #12298314 06/17/17 01:31 PM
L
Linecaster Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
L
A pleasureable insanity it is easy to overindulge with anything and with this sport it can be true with the thought that you need more rods reels and gear. But on the cast and the hookup I am almost insanely obsessed but more in the mind than in reality. Enjoy the sport and the exotic good luck.

In the beginning God created. Gen. 1:1
All things were made by him and without him was not anything made. John 1:3
Re: Best "Practice" or Learning Fly Outfit? Need Help Please. [Re: karstopo] #12298316 06/17/17 01:35 PM
S
Smurfs Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: karstopo
[quote=MassAction]
It's too easy to get caught up in paralysis by analysis with all the gear.

Isn't this the truth! Fly fishing seems especially susceptible to intense and sometimes excessive focus being put on the gear and the cast. It's a kind of madness that I'm fully invested in. You get your first outfit. You catch a fish or two in spite of really not knowing much about gear or the cast or anything. That gets you reading more about the gear and the cast. Then you realize there's better gear and a better way to cast and fish. So you get new gear and work on your cast and presentation. You catch more fish and then you see by all the reading and investigating there are other fish to catch besides your bread and butter fish. But that takes different gear and maybe a different cast and some new skills. So you get some new different gear and work on the new skills. But then you read there are still more types of fish in different places or that your bread and butter fish can be caught with gear that is 25% lighter and creates tighter loops for those windy days. So you get that gear and start to hate your old gear which you end up peddling it off to some other schumck...

The moral of the story is to never ever take up fly fishing because it is a sure path to insanity.

Post of the year! thumb

Re: Best "Practice" or Learning Fly Outfit? Need Help Please. [Re: TioPick] #12300029 06/19/17 12:43 AM
R
RexW Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
R
Originally Posted By: TioPick
You know of or how to find an instructor in The Valley?

How far south? Rey Ramirez is in the Brownsville area. Is that anywhere near you? I worked with Rey a few years ago at one of the IFF events. Nice guy.

Fly Fishers International certified casting instructor
TFO Rods pro staff
Re: Best "Practice" or Learning Fly Outfit? Need Help Please. [Re: RexW] #12301861 06/20/17 01:54 AM
T
TioPick Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
I am just N of Mercedes, the direct way is a little over 30 miles to Brownsville (40 X-way). I have to go through Brownsville to get out to Boca Chica to fish. I will PM you with info.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide