Forums59
Topics1,039,326
Posts13,962,862
Members144,199
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Upgraded/Improved Propel 10 - Fresh out of the shop [Re: Brad R] #12268849 05/30/17 04:27 AM
F
flyfshrgrl Offline
Angler
Angler
F
Originally Posted By: Brad R
Oh! And, I added the new rudder system, too, using the stock rudder but new mechanicals and a different cabling system.

Brad

Brad, are you talking about the Berleypro Rudder system?

Julia Bell/flyfshrgrl
Dallas Fly Fishers President, 2021-present

FishOn! the Fly
Re: Upgraded/Improved Propel 10 - Fresh out of the shop [Re: flyfshrgrl] #12268937 05/30/17 11:58 AM
B
Brad R Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
B
Originally Posted By: flyfshrgrl
Originally Posted By: Brad R
Oh! And, I added the new rudder system, too, using the stock rudder but new mechanicals and a different cabling system.

Brad

Brad, are you talking about the Berleypro Rudder system?

No, not the rudder system where there is a much-improved rudder now available, but what they call the Native Watercraft Steering Upgrade. It essentially replaces the old system of wire cables with a high strength line Spectra line and they remove the stops so the rudder can be operated over a larger number of degrees.

See below.

I like it and, yes, it does really help tighten up turns significantly. I was okay with the way the 10 turned anyway but knew I was overdue replacing the stock cables that are known to break so I went this route knowing I needed to be proactive here a bit.

Since I am still using a stock rudder, my new configuration doesn't help tracking issues related to shorter kayaks. For that, I rely on my hand paddle, still my preferred way to direct the vessel.

Brad
Steering Upgrade

Re: Upgraded/Improved Propel 10 - Fresh out of the shop [Re: Brad R] #12268952 05/30/17 12:06 PM
B
Brad R Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
B
Oh! And a first for me.

I went out yesterday, fished for about 4 hours, then got an expected call where I had to pick up my wife at a time and location, so I got off the water, loaded the kayak at the boat launch area using the much-quicker process I have now with the Boonedox Landing Gear and then . . .

I got a second call from my wife that she was going to stay at our daughter's home another day.

Dang it! If it had been 5 minutes earlier, I would have just stayed on the water; but, I went home, showered and ate, took a nap. When I got up, it was just past 4 PM and I was bored, my kayak was still on the truck, so I re-tied a few knots, drove back to the launch (.8 miles) and was back on the water in no time.

My point? Two turn-around trips in one day. Had I not been able to keep the kayak fully loaded and ready to roll down into the water, I'd have never done this.

I got back about 8 PM, so no time to clean it and unload it yet.

It sits there . . . tempting me!

Ha! Brad

Re: Upgraded/Improved Propel 10 - Fresh out of the shop [Re: Brad R] #12269004 05/30/17 12:58 PM
T
The Black Hammer Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
T
haha.. Brad, you are making me miss my Slayer 10 so much!!!

Re: Upgraded/Improved Propel 10 - Fresh out of the shop [Re: The Black Hammer] #12269461 05/30/17 05:00 PM
B
Brad R Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
B
Originally Posted By: The Black Hammer
haha.. Brad, you are making me miss my Slayer 10 so much!!!

They are a "hoot" out on the water, that is for sure.

Benny, a FaceBook acquaintance, and his son-in-law, Cory, were out on Athens yesterday, too. Benny has the new Wilderness Systems Radar. Whew! This is a very lovely vessel and I think he said it was only the first or second time he has had it out. Benny was an avid paddler, then told me the story of him going out with another kayaker with a pedal version, said he was tired of being blown around as I recall, saw the value of pedals for recreational fishing.

He handled it well . . . looked like he'd been in this Radar for a long time. This kayak looks long a sleek like it'd paddle well, too.

Lots of options but I really admire the broad functionality/ ease of transport of a Propel 10.

Brad

Last edited by Brad R; 05/30/17 05:01 PM.
Re: Upgraded/Improved Propel 10 - Fresh out of the shop [Re: Brad R] #12277531 06/04/17 02:40 AM
B
Bass fro chop Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Nice looking yak. Have u been in an outback and how does it compare speedwise and leg power to go a good sustainable speed

I don't always catch fish, but when I do, I prefer Dos Hybrids

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff10/horns999/merainbows2.jpg
Re: Upgraded/Improved Propel 10 - Fresh out of the shop [Re: Brad R] #12278930 06/05/17 12:13 PM
B
Brad R Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
B
I have never been in an Outback but from what I have read and heard, the Propel 10 wouldn't be as fast in a sprint but about the same in functional speed for fishing.

Again, I don't know about leg power to sustain speed but I don't feel it, at all, in my 10. That is, I just feel like it is the weight of my foot and leg that makes the cycle push. If I feel anything at all, it is picking up my leg and foot from the bottom of the cycle pattern where I'd feel it a tad in my abdomen. But, at the end of a long day, my "cycling" muscles are never sore, I'm just worn out by the sun a bit.

I think what has happened is the Outback likely has surprised Hobie as it has become a very popular fishing platform and a lot of folks have moved to it over the much heavier PA 12s and 14s. The competitive kayak guys will likely stay with the PAs, for good reason, but there sure are a lot of recreational guys and gals buying Outbacks.

The Outback has been greatly improved over the last two or so product upgrades.

It is one-third again heavier than a 10 and I have seen one rigged up with a Landing Gear which would be a requirement for me, going forward, on any kayak I buy.

Come on down to Lake Athens . . . we'll race! (Then fish!) Ha!

Brad

Last edited by Brad R; 06/05/17 12:16 PM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide