Forums59
Topics1,039,990
Posts13,973,683
Members144,227
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: Balch springs police shoot 15 year old [Re: THF_BigPig] #12226756 05/02/17 01:57 PM
F
Finesse EMPEROR/ Dropshot King Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
Originally Posted By: THF_BigPig
I wish we were held to the same standard as citizens. Did you know that as police officer we don't have the right to plead the 5th and we are subjected to Double Jeopardy?

You need to understand how the brain works under high stress situations before you can criticize any person in how they react to a threat, police officer of civilian

I thought everyone in the US had the right to the 5th!

Re: Balch springs police shoot 15 year old [Re: Tallgrass05] #12226769 05/02/17 02:04 PM
H
H.Town_paddler Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted By: Tallgrass05
I wish we were held to the same standard as citizens. Did you know that as police officer we don't have the right to plead the 5th and we are subjected to Double Jeopardy?

You need to understand how the brain works under high stress situations before you can criticize any person in how they react to a threat, police officer of civilian

But you're not ordinary citizens, the police can kill people. The standards for police being able to shoot citizens and not be liable for wrongdoing are much lower than for ordinary citizens. Even if a cop goes to trial, convictions are rare, even if the evidence of wrongdoing is overwhelming.

So why is it that the jurors (who have all the evidence presented not just what they hear on TFF and Facebook) choose not to convict them? Could it be in more complicated than what it appears at first?

Re: Balch springs police shoot 15 year old [Re: THF_BigPig] #12226785 05/02/17 02:15 PM
B
Buckshotbuddy Offline
Angler
Angler
B

I agree with you , we need to hold everyone to the same standards in all aspects. Also i can understand the high stress situations but our troops are in extremely high stress situations , they are literally at war daily but they still follow rules of engagement and if they don't they go to prison. I do believe that officers are stressed , they have to protect and practically babysit some people , listen to lies all the time etc. I wouldn't be able to be a officer because the avg citizen now a days ticks me off

Re: Balch springs police shoot 15 year old [Re: THF_BigPig] #12226790 05/02/17 02:18 PM
S
swalker9513 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
S
Did you know that as police officer we don't have the right to plead the 5th and we are subjected to Double Jeopardy?

I'd sure like to see the US Supreme Court ruling on this.

Re: Balch springs police shoot 15 year old [Re: H.Town_paddler] #12226793 05/02/17 02:23 PM
T
Tallgrass05 Offline
bill maher's protege
bill maher's protege
T
Originally Posted By: H.Town_paddler

But you're not ordinary citizens, the police can kill people. The standards for police being able to shoot citizens and not be liable for wrongdoing are much lower than for ordinary citizens. Even if a cop goes to trial, convictions are rare, even if the evidence of wrongdoing is overwhelming.

So why is it that the jurors (who have all the evidence presented not just what they hear on TFF and Facebook) choose not to convict them? Could it be in more complicated than what it appears at first?

See the Michael Slager mistrial. Shooting a guy in the back and lying about the circumstances, and all on video. Complicated? Note he is still liable, but it's difficult to see why a juror ignored the evidence.

See the failure of a grand jury to indict Daniel Pantaleo, who used a forbidden choke hold and killed a guy. Once again, all on video.

See the killing of James Boyd, literally executed, but a mistrial for the cops involved. All on video.

Re: Balch springs police shoot 15 year old [Re: THF_BigPig] #12226794 05/02/17 02:23 PM
fouzman Offline
Methuselah
Methuselah
I wish we were held to the same standard as citizens. Did you know that as police officer we don't have the right to plead the 5th.

Yes you do. You don't have the protections of the First Amendment (free speech) while on duty, but you can damned sure plead the 5th in a criminal trial.

"Things turn out best for those who make the best of the way things turn out" - Zachary Troy Schrah - a young man with vision far beyond his years.
Re: Balch springs police shoot 15 year old [Re: H.Town_paddler] #12226797 05/02/17 02:27 PM
B
Buckshotbuddy Offline
Angler
Angler
B
Originally Posted By: H.Town_paddler

Because some people will back the blue regardless of the situation, that's what it boils down to. It doesn't matter what they see on video they will not convict.

Re: Balch springs police shoot 15 year old [Re: Tallgrass05] #12226830 05/02/17 02:53 PM
T
THF_BigPig Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T

Police can stop a threat by whatever means are justified, not everybody that gets shot dies. Hell, some people die after being tasered, it happens.

A murder conviction requires the INTENT to kill somebody. Manslaughter requires NEGLIGENCE. Both of which are very hard to prove when you start talking about an officer doing their job, to protect the public and themselves, while using the minimum force required to stop the threat. When a police officer shoots somebody that is called DEADLY FORCE, meaning the outcome could result in death, and therefore is the highest amount of force available.

Once again, I'm not taking sides on this Balch Springs deal, but you can't condemn police officers as a hole without knowing the facts of the job

Re: Balch springs police shoot 15 year old [Re: HasBen] #12226837 05/02/17 02:58 PM
T
THF_BigPig Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted By: HasBen
This looks to be a bad deal all the way around. I was curious about one thing. I wonder if the fact the officer used a rifle to shoot the person, rather than his handgun, have any role in what his intent was. Just seemed kind of strange to me.

It doesn't matter what weapon he used, pistol or rifle, once the need for deadly force has been reached he could use a knife if that what he had to use.

Re: Balch springs police shoot 15 year old [Re: THF_BigPig] #12226843 05/02/17 03:02 PM
T
Tallgrass05 Offline
bill maher's protege
bill maher's protege
T
I'm not condemning cops as a whole. My point is that the standards for the use of deadly force can be loose and open to broad interpretation, and the judicial system historically accepts those broad standards or interpretations.

Re: Balch springs police shoot 15 year old [Re: snickers] #12226869 05/02/17 03:17 PM
R
RiveraTackleCo. Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
R

uno uno seis
www.riveratackle.com
[Linked Image]
Re: Balch springs police shoot 15 year old [Re: snickers] #12226876 05/02/17 03:20 PM
R
RickS. Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
R
It's just a bad deal all the way around.
I haven't really followed up on it since the story originally broke.
From what I read Sunday. It's very plausible that these kids were fleeing from the gunshots that everyone heard. That being said. The cop doesn't know that's the case. All he knows is there were shots fired while on scene. Next thing here comes a car hauling tail in his direction.
I also read Big Pigs comments. What he states about details getting mixed up is also very plausible. It reminds me of an experiment way back in school where everyone had a different perspective of what happened.
One thing I like and respect about BP is he always tries to explain all these situations from a cops perspective. Things us civilians don't normally understand.
It's easy for everyone to armchair quarterback these situations. It's even easier for the screaming libs to point fingers at the cops every time this stuff happens. When in reality. Some of these are caused by over zealous cops. Some are caused by thugs doing thuggish things. This particular one I believe falls on the person who originally fired shots. If those shots were never fired. This young man would probably still be alive. If the shots were never fired, the house party would have been broken up like they have been for years.
I just find it hard to place blame on the cop in this. I also find it hard to place blame on the kids in this. That is solely going off information I have read up to this point. They will probably never find the original shooter. But the kids blood is on their hands. IMO

Re: Balch springs police shoot 15 year old [Re: snickers] #12226915 05/02/17 03:48 PM
A
AdanV Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
A
Take a deep breath, and wait until all the facts are put on the table...

I really wish folks would stop jumping to conclusions.
Often trying to impress others and themselves.

Re: Balch springs police shoot 15 year old [Re: AdanV] #12226927 05/02/17 03:57 PM
Bigbob_FTW Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Originally Posted By: AdanV
Take a deep breath, and wait until all the facts are put on the table...

I really wish folks would stop jumping to conclusions.
Often trying to impress others and themselves.

yep. good kid caught in a bad situation. Prayers for all involved.

[Linked Image][Linked Image] FJB
Re: Balch springs police shoot 15 year old [Re: snickers] #12226997 05/02/17 04:26 PM
S
soggybottom Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
S
do what you want but my comments were just as legitimate as anyones and I didnt direct any of my comments at anyone.
The shot came through the front windshield and they were supposed to be behind the car in fear of their life?

pledge= fishstick
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide