Print Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: How do you afford bass boats? [Re: Sinkey] #12166046 03/30/17 08:33 PM
J
Jimfishes Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Most folks wouldn't have much if they had to pay cash for everything....each situation is a little different....some couples don't have children and both make a lot of money....lots of expendable income. Some couples have children and make good money but time and family responsibilities are a factor so they choose a boat the entire family can fit in and also fits their budget. They may actually finance the boat within their income budget and enjoy many years on the water with the family. It is easy and tempting to get suckered into believing you should buy new because you deserve it and everybody only gets one shot at this life....but my advice for someone who actually has a budget and does not have a lot of expendable income is to pretend you have a boat with a note and begin saving a certain dollar amount each month until you have a nice stash saved. You accomplish 2-3 things...you get to see what it's like to pay the note each month and you have a nice nest egg saved regardless. The third advantage might be more time for you to compare boats new and used and make a more informed decision instead of an emotional one. I've financed several new boats and paid cash for most used rigs. I like not having a boat note and owning a boat to go fishing....extra money is nice. Lots to consider, take your time because boats are always available. Sorry for the long post, but there is much more to write about, but think you get the idea!

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: How do you afford bass boats? [Re: LUguy08] #12166117 03/30/17 09:26 PM
InTheClear Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Started out mowing lawns in the 9th grade, paid cash 4 years later in 1995 for a new 15' ProCraft with 60hp. Graduated college and bought a 2yr old Champion 203, traded it 15 years later for 6 Grand less than I paid for it in 2002. I have no kids and no wife/ no ex-wife.

Last edited by InTheClear; 03/30/17 09:28 PM.
Re: How do you afford bass boats? [Re: LUguy08] #12166185 03/30/17 10:35 PM
C130 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Buy what you want, new or used, and enjoy life. If it takes having a monthly payment, who cares. Either way you pay for it. Interest rates are low, stock market has done well, so paying cash isn't necessarily the best thing in my opinion. Saying that, I've never been able to pay cash for a lot of things but have I have always saved a decent amount for retirement. My sister paid cash for a new car a few years ago when they had 0% interest, I thought it was stupid.

The time I get to spend with my son fishing is well worth the cost of a boat. Doubt I'll ever regret having a boat payment on my death bed.

Last edited by C130; 03/30/17 10:37 PM.

Bass Cat Eyra
Re: How do you afford bass boats? [Re: LUguy08] #12166198 03/30/17 10:44 PM
MagFluker Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
If bass boat companies have lifetime warranties on the hull shouldn't you only need to buy one new boat, or buy one with a transferrable hull warranty? You can finance or pay cash, it's your choice, then:
-repower as needed
-Upgrade electronics as needed
-reupholster as needed
-repaint or renew gel coat as needed.

New/slightly used boats are expensive, my next boat will be a nice one, with everything I want and I need, and I will have it for a very, very long time, or at least I plan too. My initial cost will be high but in the end may save some money rather than buying a different boat every 3-5 yrs and digging a deeper money pit.

Does that sound too out of round?

Kyle in NC

PB 11.1

Re: How do you afford bass boats? [Re: LUguy08] #12167172 03/31/17 02:55 PM
D
DedShort Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
I bought used for a while. Took good care of them, upgraded when and where I could. I managed to save enough to buy a new one a few years ago, but was having a hard time spending that much money at once. a buddy of mine got in a situation where he had to sell his 6 month old boat with less that 20 hours. I paid what he was asking and got a heck of a deal. I won't finance a boat or RV. If I can't afford to buy it, then I don't need it. That being said, my wife and I both make pretty good money. It hasn't always been that way, but we have worked up to it.

"Liberty is always dangerous, but it is the safest thing we have." - Harry Emerson Fosdick

Re: How do you afford bass boats? [Re: LUguy08] #12168339 04/01/17 07:57 AM
F
FXfromTx Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
F
With all due respect, I personally think the "you should NEVER finance boats, etc. etc." statements are asinine. One thing to keep in mind is everybody's situation is different, but most of the time it is smarter to finance due to opportunity cost. Granted, you have to have self-discipline but we are all adults here. I had a well kept 1996 skeeter zx200 until last November when I found a killer deal on a brand new, model year clearance FX20. I'm blessed to be self-employed and have the money to pay cash for it, but I would be feeling pretty broke if I did. I chose not to pay cash for it and here is why: I could finance through my local credit union for 3.9%. This means over the next 5 years(if I don't pay it off early) I will pay an extra $4,800 in interest. So I put a decent down payment on it so that I could sell the boat fast and get more than payoff for it if I ever got in that big of a bind. Then, I took a portion of the money I would've sent the dealer if I paid cash and I invested it. My first payment was in December, so I have made 4 payments so far and the small portion I have invested has made over $1150 in that same amount of time. I've already made over 1 year's interest in just 4 months by investing the money. Why save money if you aren't going to put it to work making more money for you?

Last edited by FXfromTx; 04/01/17 08:08 AM.

"The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad."
Re: How do you afford bass boats? [Re: LUguy08] #12168434 04/01/17 12:46 PM
west tex angler Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
I have had many bass boats in my life, but two years ago, I decided to get back into fishing after a long absence. I bought and paid for a new Skeeter ZX250. I'm 69 yrs old and didn't want any problems with my boat so I got a new one.
Since I love to fish East Texas lakes, my wife and I just put a new fifth wheel with a new covered deck at Lake Fork. We used what I call "Trump Money" since the markets have soared in the last four months, we took some of the earnings and paid cash for that too. I have to say, it has changed my fishing habits. I fish for a while, go in and rest, then go back out. I cook instead of eating at those same old restaurants around the lake that all taste alike. I do like things paid for, I can enjoy them more but it wasn't always that way.
I financed my first boat many years ago with my Dad's co-signing. It was an old Top Tenner with a 50 hp Johnson. After making payments each month, I had to plan my trips because I couldn't afford to put gas in it. Back then, that 21.9 cents a gallon was a killer. Once I went fishing and had no gas in the engine. I launched in an area that I could stay in and fish. I just used the trol motor. I would not want to go back to those times.
To make a long story longer, do what you want to do in life because it all ends to soon anyway.
Good luck

Last edited by west tex angler; 04/01/17 12:48 PM.

PB 9lbs 13oz
Re: How do you afford bass boats? [Re: FXfromTx] #12168475 04/01/17 01:26 PM
F
Flippin-Out Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
Originally Posted By: FXfromTx
With all due respect, I personally think the "you should NEVER finance boats, etc. etc." statements are asinine. One thing to keep in mind is everybody's situation is different, but most of the time it is smarter to finance due to opportunity cost. Granted, you have to have self-discipline but we are all adults here. I had a well kept 1996 skeeter zx200 until last November when I found a killer deal on a brand new, model year clearance FX20. I'm blessed to be self-employed and have the money to pay cash for it, but I would be feeling pretty broke if I did. I chose not to pay cash for it and here is why: I could finance through my local credit union for 3.9%. This means over the next 5 years(if I don't pay it off early) I will pay an extra $4,800 in interest. So I put a decent down payment on it so that I could sell the boat fast and get more than payoff for it if I ever got in that big of a bind. Then, I took a portion of the money I would've sent the dealer if I paid cash and I invested it. My first payment was in December, so I have made 4 payments so far and the small portion I have invested has made over $1150 in that same amount of time. I've already made over 1 year's interest in just 4 months by investing the money. Why save money if you aren't going to put it to work making more money for you?

You can only tell your story this way because the market has been climbing in the timeframe of your anecdotal example. On average, the market goes DOWN about as much as it goes up. Part of that "up" is gradual inflation creep as well, so it's not as much profit as might appear. Don't get me wrong, I've been fond of wise investing and it has served me well, but your particular story at this particular time in finance history is because of circumstances. It can be opposite of what you say just as often.

Since you are touting the investing benefits of taking out a loan, I'll offer another scenario entailing investments. How about the benefits of compounding? Try that INSTEAD of financing, and decent savings/investments can yield the total amount needed to buy the boat with no loan. Once you have the boat, some of the funds previously earmarked monthly for the boat fund could be diverted to operational expenses such as gas, insurance, etc.

Unless you make your living with a boat, financing one will never make fiduciary sense. People finance them because they want it NOW and they want it bad enough to PAY. Some even do it when they really can't afford it - they just convince themselves they can until the day they have no choice but to unload it.

Re: How do you afford bass boats? [Re: Flippin-Out] #12168809 04/01/17 07:53 PM
F
FXfromTx Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
F
Originally Posted By: Flippin-Out

You can only tell your story this way because the market has been climbing in the timeframe of your anecdotal example. On average, the market goes DOWN about as much as it goes up. Part of that "up" is gradual inflation creep as well, so it's not as much profit as might appear. Don't get me wrong, I've been fond of wise investing and it has served me well, but your particular story at this particular time in finance history is because of circumstances. It can be opposite of what you say just as often.

Since you are touting the investing benefits of taking out a loan, I'll offer another scenario entailing investments. How about the benefits of compounding? Try that INSTEAD of financing, and decent savings/investments can yield the total amount needed to buy the boat with no loan. Once you have the boat, some of the funds previously earmarked monthly for the boat fund could be diverted to operational expenses such as gas, insurance, etc.

Unless you make your living with a boat, financing one will never make fiduciary sense. People finance them because they want it NOW and they want it bad enough to PAY. Some even do it when they really can't afford it - they just convince themselves they can until the day they have no choice but to unload it.

I really am not trying to argue and I respect whatever way you wish to afford your boat, however I think it is fair for the person asking the question to see both sides. I am not only talking about the stock market, I am invested many more ways than just the stock market. But there can also be money made on the downfalls of the market, actually the $1150 I have made with my $5,500 investment has been primarily short-selling during this "time of climbing markets". I'm working against the market and making money. It's been done on the downfalls as well though not as often. Don't get me wrong, do I think it is good to be able to pay cash, yes I do. However, as I said I could pay csh but chose not to because I also think most of the time you're costing yourself money. As you said, unless you fish professionally that 65k you spend on the boat isn't going to make you a dime. But when invested, that 65k can pay for part of your boat, and you'll be essentially paying less for the boat and getting it sooner. You can literally have your cake and eat it too. I agree compounding can be great for retirements and other long term goals, being self-employed that's actually one of the ways I am preparing for retirement. I personally wouldn't buy a boat that way, but to each their own.
Here's the deal though, if a person invests $10,000 it will take 20 years at 10%(unlikely) annually to have $67,000, just about enough for the new boats many people buy. Most people don't start at my age, but even I would be over 40 if I started today. Why wait that long? Beyond playing the markets there are so many other $10,000 investments that have decent chances of making way over 10% a year and being re-invested or being sold if you need the money. The fact of the matter is it's a balance of risk and reward. Maybe it is because I am young and have a lot of time to make money to retire with, or maybe I'm senseless but I personally would much rather be a little bit riskier than accept minimal rewards. 20 years to make $57,000 is $2,850 a year on average.... I own about $10,000 worth of equipment that makes me way more than $2,850 a year and somebody else is running it, that's an investment. My example is far from anecdotal, while it is my personal testimony that money can be made with wise investments, it's a proven fact just the same, it's in every finance and economic textbook and every economists will agree that money can be made investing. Go tell any billionaire that success while investing in the stock market or even in tangible items is anecdotal and you'll be laughed out of the room. People make money with investments all the time. If your goal is to save up for 20 years just to buy a boat then I hope you succeed or have succeeded, but I personally have bigger aspirations than just being able to buy a boat in the next 20 years and that's why I have chose to do it the way I am. Like I said, even if I lost my work and my stock market investments bottom out, I can sell the boat and more than pay it off, or I can sell part of my tangible investments to pay the boat off. That's the beauty of not having every dime tied up in paying cash for a boat, I have a boat and other things as well that actually make money and are valuable if sold. Like I said earlier, literally having your cake and eating it too.
I also like to think of it like my friends at college who have student loans. Some of them up to 200k through med school. Would you tell them not to take out a loan for college, that they should go to work and start compounding until they can afford to go to college in 20, 30 or even 40 years? No, most people say college is an investment because it will make you money in the long run. That's no different than financing something you have the cash to pay for so you can invest that cash you have in something to make money. Except the investments I made with my "boat fund" are making money now, as to where student loans won't make money for years and years. And just like the stock market can fall, the need for petroleum engineers who have 100k in student loans can fall too. What's the difference?

Last edited by FXfromTx; 04/01/17 07:57 PM.

"The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad."
Re: How do you afford bass boats? [Re: FXfromTx] #12168826 04/01/17 08:15 PM
R
Ranger1 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
R
Every man should be able to spend his Financial resources how he sees fit. Unless your married then that's another subject all together.

Re: How do you afford bass boats? [Re: FXfromTx] #12168856 04/01/17 08:55 PM
west tex angler Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Originally Posted By: Flippin-Out

I really am not trying to argue and I respect whatever way you wish to afford your boat, however I think it is fair for the person asking the question to see both sides. I am not only talking about the stock market, I am invested many more ways than just the stock market. But there can also be money made on the downfalls of the market, actually the $1150 I have made with my $5,500 investment has been primarily short-selling during this "time of climbing markets". I'm working against the market and making money. It's been done on the downfalls as well though not as often. Don't get me wrong, do I think it is good to be able to pay cash, yes I do. However, as I said I could pay csh but chose not to because I also think most of the time you're costing yourself money. As you said, unless you fish professionally that 65k you spend on the boat isn't going to make you a dime. But when invested, that 65k can pay for part of your boat, and you'll be essentially paying less for the boat and getting it sooner. You can literally have your cake and eat it too. I agree compounding can be great for retirements and other long term goals, being self-employed that's actually one of the ways I am preparing for retirement. I personally wouldn't buy a boat that way, but to each their own.
Here's the deal though, if a person invests $10,000 it will take 20 years at 10%(unlikely) annually to have $67,000, just about enough for the new boats many people buy. Most people don't start at my age, but even I would be over 40 if I started today. Why wait that long? Beyond playing the markets there are so many other $10,000 investments that have decent chances of making way over 10% a year and being re-invested or being sold if you need the money. The fact of the matter is it's a balance of risk and reward. Maybe it is because I am young and have a lot of time to make money to retire with, or maybe I'm senseless but I personally would much rather be a little bit riskier than accept minimal rewards. 20 years to make $57,000 is $2,850 a year on average.... I own about $10,000 worth of equipment that makes me way more than $2,850 a year and somebody else is running it, that's an investment. My example is far from anecdotal, while it is my personal testimony that money can be made with wise investments, it's a proven fact just the same, it's in every finance and economic textbook and every economists will agree that money can be made investing. Go tell any billionaire that success while investing in the stock market or even in tangible items is anecdotal and you'll be laughed out of the room. People make money with investments all the time. If your goal is to save up for 20 years just to buy a boat then I hope you succeed or have succeeded, but I personally have bigger aspirations than just being able to buy a boat in the next 20 years and that's why I have chose to do it the way I am. Like I said, even if I lost my work and my stock market investments bottom out, I can sell the boat and more than pay it off, or I can sell part of my tangible investments to pay the boat off. That's the beauty of not having every dime tied up in paying cash for a boat, I have a boat and other things as well that actually make money and are valuable if sold. Like I said earlier, literally having your cake and eating it too.
I also like to think of it like my friends at college who have student loans. Some of them up to 200k through med school. Would you tell them not to take out a loan for college, that they should go to work and start compounding until they can afford to go to college in 20, 30 or even 40 years? No, most people say college is an investment because it will make you money in the long run. That's no different than financing something you have the cash to pay for so you can invest that cash you have in something to make money. Except the investments I made with my "boat fund" are making money now, as to where student loans won't make money for years and years. And just like the stock market can fall, the need for petroleum engineers who have 100k in student loans can fall too. What's the difference?

No need to explain,
How a man spends his money after his family is taken care of, is his business.

PB 9lbs 13oz
Re: How do you afford bass boats? [Re: LUguy08] #12168878 04/01/17 09:18 PM
T
Trickster Offline
Super Freak
Super Freak
T
I financed my boat and do not regret it to much. If I could catch fish I would not regret it at all.

I would never of had this boat if I had to pay for it in cash. And I could have payed cash if needed.

Re: How do you afford bass boats? [Re: Trickster] #12168993 04/01/17 11:24 PM
F
formula462 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
[quote=Trickster]I financed my boat and do not regret it to much. If I could catch fish I would not regret it at all.

LoL

Re: How do you afford bass boats? [Re: LUguy08] #12169672 04/02/17 02:03 PM
blackhorse Offline
Angler
Angler
Either sign on the dotted line for a life time of payments or have lots of $. Have been fishing out of same Skeeter for 20 yrs and the fact that it still runs great and fishes great has kept me from buying new boat. Not to mention price of a new one.

Re: How do you afford bass boats? [Re: LUguy08] #12169786 04/02/17 03:06 PM
B
Bulletman99 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
Let me put "Financing" this way---If the ones that could buy a boat with cash were the only ones doing so, there would be far less boats on the water and the prices would be considerably higher than they already are. Talking with a guy at Basscat a few years ago, he stated that they see many that buy with cash but the much higher average buyer (95%-98%) finances them for 10-15 years. The prices on their higher priced/larger boats causes many to pay cash for them or at least a higher down payment to keep the payments low or for shorter terms. If they were not financing them they nor any of their competitors would be able to stay in business. He also stated they make very little profit on their 18.5 footers but built them to have a share of that market. I can only assume that all manufacturers see the same trends.

Bullet 20XD
Merc 250 ProXS
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide