Forums59
Topics1,039,388
Posts13,963,721
Members144,202
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing Guide Report [Re: TarponFly] #12096680 02/16/17 03:46 AM
banker-always fishing Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Solid Post and Solid fish. Good job Carey! thumb

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing Guide Report [Re: TarponFly] #12331722 07/10/17 04:46 AM
T
TarponFly Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
T
Sunday Morning Report: ( not a lot of people, I only saw two regulars and maybe 10 boats chasing Sandies and Hybrids. Where did everybody go? )

Lure: 2 oz Chartreuse Godfather was only thing we used.
Line: 15 lb Berkley Big Game.
Fishing Depth: 15-27
Fishing Method: Vertical Slabbing no more than 3 ft off the bottom.

This morning fishing was steady. A little chop on the water and a very pretty day. We started looking on some humps and I found the mother load. Dropped down on them and BAM. Two twin hook ups. Doubled over rods. On one of the biggest trees out there. I GPS'd the tree on a hump and forgot it was a tree. It sure looked like a ton of fish though. I only had the 2D on at the moment so I did not see the tree on my DI or SI. Switched to SI/DI and looked at my predicament. Oops. Retied and moved on to the next way point.

We found lots of fish in the usual Super Secret Secure Locations. They were in small schools just cruising mainly. I would turn the boat around after going over a school. When I got back, they were outside of my side imaging already or just vanished.

At about 7 am, I started scanning a secret flat/point. I would see Hybrids on Side Imaging ( SI ) - ( I forgot to take screenshots today. I'll get them next time), but they were in small wolf packs of 5-10 fish. I noticed none of the fish would pass the 13 ft depths. . I could see the fish on SI and not one of them ever went shallower than 12-13 ft. Since they were not grouping up or surfacing, I decided to turn on the "BoBo Thumper" and had my new friend Ultrex, Spot Lock me on a ledge, in 15 ft, on the Super Secret Point. At this point, I knew the fish were moving up to grab some baitfish and were immediately moving back out deep after their meal. I couldn't catch them all, just the ones that would get close enough to my slabs, intercepting them on their way to the flat.It's now 730.

After some adjustments and tips and tricks, my Jr client Alex was good to go and slabbing away on his own. At 7:40 his rod bent in half and drag started screaming. I grabbed the net and then all I see was tailage. It was massive. They saw the whole fish, I just saw the tail waving; bye Felicia. Double Digit Hybrids 100%. Sad time right there. Reason the fish got off: Little Alex reeled a 10 lb fish to the tip of the rod. Fish just easily twisted right off the hook. When fighting these fish or any fish keep your rod at 10 o'clock. As soon as you see the color of the fish or your teaser jig stop reeling. Lift the rod and the fish will be right at waist level for easy removal, instead of dangling off the end of your rod.

After that we were steadily catching smaller Hybrids ,then previously hooked, and Fat Magnum Sandies. Landed three black bass and two drum. Pretty sure we got a limit of Sandy's, definitely. Today was a catch and release day, so I didn't really mentally count a tally. And of course, we caught a ton of yellows.

I have no idea what time it was when we left the Super Secret Point. I stopped seening the fish moving up on the flat so we took off. We went to the next spot. I found the fish again on side imaging in 24 foot of water on an underwater flat on the ledge. There were only about 50 of them on the small flat. We steadily caught fish there for about an hour and a half. Alex was catching more than his dad and me! As soon as the wind went to glass/no wind, the bite was over. We would get on top of the fish but they would not be tricked into anything. Complete shutdown.

We will get the big one that got away next trip, Alex. I promise.

PS. Lake Lavon has been fishing good. Top water fish every morning 7 am till 830, sometimes longer. Then we go slab the main lake points. If it's too windy to go to Hubbard, Lake Lavon has a big tall dam blocking the wind enough to fish the main points where they live. Very easy lake to fish with little pressure or party people. It has a couple hybrids from the Cooper Lake pipeline, but it's a rare catch. We see them almost everyday bust a shad or porpoise after baitfish. Haven't landed one this year yet. I suspect in August top water should go off the chain. Last year we were throwing 7 inch pencil poppers catching huge Mags. To go from one side of the lake to the other takes me 11 minutes. The fish are somewhere in between that. If they are not in 1 of 7 spots, they're suspended. It takes me less than 30 minutes to check all seven spots.

IMO: The reason we're not landing 300 fish every time we go out Lavon/Hubbard, is because we are in a post shad spawn period. Look around any structure in the lake, like standing timber, tire reefs, or pylons, and you will see billions upon billions of baby shad 1 inch long. Right now the babies are stupid. On DI and SI you can actually see the baby shad swarming an entire tree. You can see crappie all up and down the water colum, within reason, with the baby shad swarming around them. The game fish really don't have to try to eat them as the shad don't know to flee yet. Super easy Buffett. I think within two weeks we should be back up to 2 to 300+ fish days. Once all these babies get at least 2 inches long, they get smarter and harder for the gamefish to catch. Making our lures easier targets.

My website designer is no longer with us. My poor website has vanished with him after time. My new site will be TexasOklahomaFishingGuides.com launching soon.

Facebook: Carey A Thorn ( to see what I'm up to daily)

-I have changed my personal plans this week and pushed my vaca to a later date for better fishing at my destination.

Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday are now open.

Hubbard, Lavon, Lake Fork- Day Time and Night Time for massive Sandies 16-18 inch average, Broken Bow for Rainbow Trout (2 hours from Hubbard stocked with 2000 Rainbow and brown trout 15-20 inch average every two weeks all year. And, I know where some walleye live among the trout. 16-20 in average on the walleye when I get on a school. Pick your day before
someone snags it.

Texting me is the fasted way to get a response and I don't mind questions at all.

Fish and fun guaranteed or you don't pay.

469-528-0210

[Linked Image]

https://CowboyNavy.org ( please sign up if you have a boat )

Contact Number 469-528-0210

Facebook- Carey Thorn Foshing Guide
Re: Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing Guide Report [Re: TarponFly] #12331954 07/10/17 01:40 PM
J
jbobo Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
J
Great report! Full of good info that will help anyone learn to catch fish. thumb

22 ft. Wellcraft Deep V CC
817-220-2312
www.bobosthumper.com
Re: Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing Guide Report [Re: TarponFly] #12332366 07/10/17 05:14 PM
J
Justmike Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
Thanks for the report

Re: Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing Guide Report [Re: TarponFly] #12332415 07/10/17 05:47 PM
S
Stump jumper Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
S
We only caught 2 mags trolling and a few dinks. Mainly just testing new boat. Shad are tough to get at Lavon this year where as last year it was 3 or 4 casts and done. We even went back for more mid morning. New boat has a HDS7 with structure scan whereas my Ranger had a HDI. I finally got fed up with trying to change previous owners settings and just restored defaults. Now I have a split screen to get rid of and I have to figure out why the structure scan is not working.

2200 Bay Champ/200 Mercury Optimax
2017 Tundra TSS 4x4 Crewmax 5.7L
Re: Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing Guide Report [Re: TarponFly] #12332685 07/10/17 08:20 PM
M
mickeytfc Offline
Angler
Angler
M
Great report Carey, been missing them. Always great teaching. Hope you vacay fishing spot gets going and you have a great trip.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. Henry David Thoreau
Re: Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing Guide Report [Re: TarponFly] #12337764 07/13/17 06:57 PM
T
TarponFly Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
T
Last two days have been just like Sunday! Mag Sandies and Hybrids everywhere we go. In the morning, when the fish start busting the surface, and we're throwing swim baits only trying for the hybrids. Once the hybrids leave the flats we leave.

I just start running south midlake looking for more hybrids after the boil. I have not been finding much past Rush Creek or power plant, often, like at the gravel pits. Every time I've been there, Nada. I'm sure I've missed them and I'm sure they've been there. But they keep alluding me and wasting my gas going there to look. I ran the same pattern I've been running this whole week and today they decided to go to the west side of the lake. I Side Scanned the peanut and it was absolutely choked with pure hybrids and no Sandy's at first. After a while the hybrids moved out and the sandy's came up. Huge shoulders on the Sandies. Fat fat.

2 seats open tomorrow. Text me if you want some of the action.

$100 a seat.

[Linked Image]

Re: Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing Guide Report [Re: TarponFly] #12338305 07/13/17 11:55 PM
banker-always fishing Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Nice fish. Good job. thumb

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing Guide Report [Re: TarponFly] #12338683 07/14/17 03:34 AM
L
Ledeez Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
L
Good stuff! I don't hit Hubbard.. puro lavon for me.! Enjoy positive reads and reports! Thanks for sharing

Teamgetsome$$$
Re: Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing Guide Report [Re: TarponFly] #12339276 07/14/17 03:56 PM
T
TarponFly Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
T
Ray Hubbard Guide Report:

Limited on huge white bass by 7:35 am. Plus a dozen hybrids with a few keepers 19-21 inches thrown in.

We started at R. Point and when we were rolling up the fish were up on the surface traveling towards me actually. I stopped the boat in the fish came to me and we caught about a dozen but there were no hybrids in it where is fishing for. So we kicked it out of there and went to the longest flat on the lake, - the fish were going bonkers for 30 minutes straight with a mix of nice sized keeper hybrids and magnum Sandy's.

Cohos and 7 inch pencil poppers and godfather chartreuse slabs.

After the top water fun the fish kinda disbursed. We would roll up on a few and catch five or six in each area but it never was a fish every drop like the morning.

I grabbed a couple gizzard shad, but nothing wanted them. We caught more on slabs. Never caught a fish on live bait actually. But I wanted to try it and see if anything was down there worth getting. But again all the fish wanted godfathers.

Video of top water action on my Facebook page---> Carey A Thorn

Going back to Lake Lavon tomorrow for the weekend.

[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide