Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Punching Reel [Re: BeardedBanker] #11919453 11/06/16 02:10 PM
Mark Perry Online Content
Super Freak
Online Content
Super Freak
My Tatula CTs and Tatula R's work just fine for punching.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Punching Reel [Re: bassmanrudy] #11919502 11/06/16 02:40 PM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: bassmanrudy
Originally Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES
I've got a good reel, I just need to find the mat to use it. Where's it at ?

I just spent 2 days down in Morgan City LA fishing the Open. You have ALL THE MATS THERE YOUR HEART DESIRES!!!!!!! That's all we(I was a co so between both days partner) did for 2 days!! Stuff that had 6-7 grasses mixed together or some places just hyacinths but it was THICK and MILES AND MILES OF IT!!

The OP is from east Texas, I was thinking he was fishing a lake close by. I'm not driving to LA just to fish grass. Use to be that 7-8 lakes in east Texas had lots of grass and now all gone. Kinda weird it all disappeared unexpectedly and unexplained. The fisheries were certainly a lot better with it especially Fork.

I am a Senager. (Senior teenager) I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, only 50 years later. I get an allowance every month. I have PU truck and a bass boat, I am blessed.
Conscience never acquits, it either accuses or excuses.
Re: Punching Reel [Re: GIG'EM AGGIES] #11919509 11/06/16 02:42 PM
Super Freak
Online Content
Super Freak

I just spent 2 days down in Morgan City LA fishing the Open. You have ALL THE MATS THERE YOUR HEART DESIRES!!!!!!! That's all we(I was a co so between both days partner) did for 2 days!! Stuff that had 6-7 grasses mixed together or some places just hyacinths but it was THICK and MILES AND MILES OF IT!!

The OP is from east Texas, I was thinking he was fishing a lake close by. I'm not driving to LA just to fish grass. Use to be that 7-8 lakes in east Texas had lots of grass and now all gone. Kinda weird it all disappeared unexpectedly and unexplained. The fisheries were certainly a lot better with it especially Fork.

Gilmer and Hawkins are LOADED with grass. Fork has a pretty fair amount with some mats if you know here to look.

Re: Punching Reel [Re: Mark Perry] #11919513 11/06/16 02:44 PM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Mark Perry

Gilmer and Hawkins are LOADED with grass

Thanks Mark, I've fished both but not in a long while. Loved Hawkins and will go back soon based on your info. Care to share the location on Fork ?

thumb

Last edited by GIG'EM AGGIES; 11/06/16 02:47 PM.

I am a Senager. (Senior teenager) I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, only 50 years later. I get an allowance every month. I have PU truck and a bass boat, I am blessed.
Re: Punching Reel [Re: BeardedBanker] #11919518 11/06/16 02:47 PM
Super Freak
Online Content
Super Freak
Warning the bass at Hawkins are there but the last 2 years the bite has really gotten bad for me at least. It seems tougher to catch them every time I go. Love the lake though and enjoy my time out there a lot. Would love to have a place out there someday I think.

Re: Punching Reel [Re: GIG'EM AGGIES] #11919667 11/06/16 04:54 PM
B
bassmanrudy Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B

just trying to help. I fish from Oklahoma to North Carolina so come across plenty of different fisheries and love how TFF usually is good about helping others. guess I won't do that anymore...

Re: Punching Reel [Re: BeardedBanker] #11919669 11/06/16 04:55 PM
B
bassmanrudy Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
OP- pm me and come to Caddo then. we can punch there!

Re: Punching Reel [Re: bassmanrudy] #11919695 11/06/16 05:14 PM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity

just trying to help. I fish from Oklahoma to North Carolina so come across plenty of different fisheries and love how TFF usually is good about helping others. guess I won't do that anymore...

No reason to be offended bassman, your info was good and probably beneficial to some in the area, just didn't help me. Not everyone travels the country fishing. I try to stay in east Texas where it's close to home and can go and come in a day. Please continue to post on here, your travels and expertise can provide valuable information but understand while it won't help everyone it's good to know.

Re: Punching Reel [Re: Bugzout10] #11922149 11/08/16 12:51 AM
E
ezbassin Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
E
Originally Posted By: Bugzout10
Curious what a reel matters for punching I would think you would put more emphasis on the rod and line

Exactly what I was thinking...

I chose a Revo because of the heavy duty drag system it has, and because it is a solid reel. I don't completely lock down the drag even while punching.

Last edited by ezbassin; 11/08/16 02:03 PM.
Re: Punching Reel [Re: BeardedBanker] #11922287 11/08/16 01:57 AM
SAKS Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
I chose the Revo for the same reason. The new Quantum Smokes I think have 25lbs max drag but the Abu is easier to get repaired if needed.

Re: Punching Reel [Re: Bugzout10] #11922385 11/08/16 02:40 AM
O
OliverBassin Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
O
Agree.
Curious what a reel matters for punching I would think you would put more emphasis on the rod and line

Why so complicated?
Re: Punching Reel [Re: BeardedBanker] #11922391 11/08/16 02:42 AM
B
BeardedBanker Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
B
I have the rod and know what line to use. Just needing to replace my current reel. Thanks for replies.

Re: Punching Reel [Re: BeardedBanker] #11922807 11/08/16 01:36 PM
J
Jig-N-Spoon Offline
Angler
Angler
J
I reel left and hold rod in right hand always. So flipping with line in left hand created issues with the reel handle catching line. The reel can be modified to suit your tastes. In mine, I cut off one side of the handle. You only need one knob to reel with and it allows me to manage the line by having the handle always back towards me while fishing, keeping it out of the way. It is "counter weighted" such that it will naturally move toward me on a slack line. Drag is almost not an issue as most of the time it is locked down anyway. If I feel the need to back off the drag after I have gotten a big fish out of cover it is easier to adjust with only half a handle. I agree with Steez on reel selection, light weight, no need for large spool capacity. Currently Curado 71 XG. 'spoon

Re: Punching Reel [Re: OliverBassin] #11923031 11/08/16 03:28 PM
Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life) Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: OliverBassin
Agree.

Reel matters because you are putting a huge strain on your reel when punching with heavy line. Your gonna destroy a cheap reel ask some of the guys who used to fish Falcon 5 days a week flipping trees. They were stripping out the aluminum Shimano core gears left a right. Any reel with brass gearing is going to be the strongest. Though I have never stripped any of the newer Shimano gears I know they can be torn up. The reason I like the reels with more line capacity is because I don't like to have a reel thats only good for one thing. Same rod I'm flipping grass with can be used for throwing a jig out deep, tossing an a-rig or a swimbait

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide