Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Best or Worst Fog Story [Re: TOMCAT21] #11907050 10/29/16 10:04 PM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: TOMCAT21
Flying a mission off the USS Constellation in the Gulf of Alaska in 1986, my F-14 was first down the chute. The weather was reported right at minimums - 200' ceiling and half mile visibility. As we let down I asked if the Landing Signal Officer (LSO) wanted our landing light on as it makes it easier to see the plane through the fog. The LSO said no. As we approached 3/4 mile (12-18 seconds from touchdown) from the ship where we should be able see it visually we still could not see it. I told my pilot to fly the needles (instruments) and I would continue to look over his left shoulder for the visual landing aid (meatball). We continued our approach and I finally called the ball indicating we had visually acquired the ship. The time that lapsed from me calling the ball to our plane touching down was six seconds. As we came to a stop the LSO called for all the other planes approaching the ship to turn their landing lights on. As it turns out, none of the other aircraft made it aboard due to the fog. They all diverted to Elmendorf AFB and spent the entire day and evening drinking beer and having fun.

The moral of the story - when it's foggy it's safer and more fun to stay home and drink beer or coffee.

Makes my story sound like a game of checkers.

flush_2

I am a Senager. (Senior teenager) I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, only 50 years later. I get an allowance every month. I have PU truck and a bass boat, I am blessed.
Conscience never acquits, it either accuses or excuses.
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Best or Worst Fog Story [Re: Texascajun69] #11907287 10/30/16 12:07 AM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Only managed to fish in the fog once. On Fairfield. It's was creepy quiet. Nothing scary. Just weird.

No alien spaceships...or lost ghost ships. Only danger was it was freezing cold and it was freezing to my carpet.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Best or Worst Fog Story [Re: Texascajun69] #11907691 10/30/16 04:30 AM
S
Scoundrel Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
S
Many times in the old days drove in circles with the Super Skeeter at Monticello trying to idle back in from up in Blundell between the trees and bridge after midnight. You could here the power lines buzzing and when you got under them I swear they seemed to be dangling about 4 foot off the water.

Re: Best or Worst Fog Story [Re: Texascajun69] #11907770 10/30/16 12:07 PM
elcoyote, esq. Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
Fishing Choke early one morning, wife and I launched at south shore. As soon as we got out in the lake, a super thick fog rolled in. We could hear boats running on pad so we idled closer to the bank and dropped the tm, and fished our way along the bank about 50 yards or so out. About that time, I heard some ducks flying past us followed by some very loud blasts of shotguns. We had no idea there were duck hunters there, and they had no idea we were there. We quickly made our presence known, and got the hell out of range in a hurry. Had to wait until about 10:00 for the fog to lift and the ducks to stop flying. Scary as hell.

Last edited by elcoyote, esq.; 10/30/16 12:08 PM.

Team wolfs

Originally Posted by Allison1
I had to perform. It took a minute to get it all in my mouth and another five to swallow it all.

Re: Best or Worst Fog Story [Re: Texascajun69] #11907846 10/30/16 01:39 PM
R
randywillfish Offline
Angler
Angler
R
Fished club tournament on Martin Creek one year.
Worst fog I'd ever seen on the lake.
My partner and I knew where we wanted to fish, but I couldn't see the bow light. Boats were milling around the ramp and taking off was out of the question.
THEN THE REASONING KICKED IN.
I figured I could keep the bank to my left, keep the dam to my left, go across to the opposite bank and turn right. Right?
As we were idling out of the ramp area, we could see the alternative(overflow ramp) on the left. Orange buoys on the left(good sign).
We idled on a little further and saw some more orange buoys.
I'm thinking they've added something else.
Then I saw the boat ramp. We'd come full circle and were back at the ramp.

Talk about feeling stupid.....
We wound up going right from the ramp and bumped through all the stumps.
The moral of the story, buy a fishfinder with GPS mapping....

Re: Best or Worst Fog Story [Re: 361V] #11907982 10/30/16 03:44 PM
S
SIR-FISH-LOT Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
S
Originally Posted By: 361V
Been out on Monticello MANY times when the early morning fog formed and you couldn't see past the front of the boat. The scary thing was not being lost, it was hearing boats on plane somewhere in the fog. Like sound underwater sound really travels in that thick air! Scary being on the water with idiots playing Russian Roulette....with me!

+1 same thing here. Real scary.

Jig fisherman
Re: Best or Worst Fog Story [Re: Texascajun69] #11908536 10/30/16 10:59 PM
Bruce Allen Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
we were doing Eagle watch at Lake Fork on the second Saturday in January about three years ago. Because it was so foggy we rode with another group in their pontoon. Our area of the lake was the west side across from Little Caney up until the 515 west bridge.

So we left Oak Ridge headed for Chaney Branch. We went pretty far and it was pretty thick and I said to the fellow driving I don't recognize that island. Here it was the island near Oak Ridge. We had circled back and didn't know it.

So we started out again and down near the dam we nearly ran into the dam. Continuing on our way I told him we have turned around again and he said I was crazy. But we had just crossed out own wake. The fog never lifted and we never saw an eagle.

We did find Oak Ridge after a while.

Lake Fork Anglers
Every Thursday
Daytime Tournaments.

Lake Fork Sportsman's Association
www.lakeforksa.com/

We are VERY PROUD of our Induction into the
Texas Freshwater Fishing Hall of Fame.

Re: Best or Worst Fog Story [Re: Texascajun69] #11908545 10/30/16 11:06 PM
Worm Dunk Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Falcon March 2014. Fog was so thick we couldn't see 20 yards. Eased out from the ramp and idled about 1 mile and pulled up to some brush just out from the shore line. 3rd cast, 1st fish- 11.3. before we left we had 6 or 7 fish over 6#'s with a couple of 9s.

"The fishing was so bad that even the liars weren't catching any"
Bill Dance
Re: Best or Worst Fog Story [Re: Texascajun69] #11908877 10/31/16 01:42 AM
Billy Blazer 300 HPDI Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
I've crossed my own wake more times than I want to admit in my younger years. I can't drive straight in the fog for the life of me. Best to stay close to shore until it lifts.

Thanks, Billy
Re: Best or Worst Fog Story [Re: Texascajun69] #11916201 11/04/16 03:22 AM
B
BillyVanWard Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
I'm in the ICW years ago with this ol' boy who couldn't hear very well in his old bomber-style stick steer narrow 15 footer. There was a little fog before dawn, but after sunup it went slap nuts to near zero visibility. We had been tearing 'em up in the boat cut to East Bay across from Stingaree, and somehow we drifted into the middle of the ICW without realizing it.

I got a real funny feeling and thought I heard and felt something funny. Suddenly a barge exploded out of the fog bearing down on us dead center. I'm yelling at the guy to lay some droppings or get off the pot, and he's just pretty much standing there going "huh?".

I reached up and started the boat, threw it in gear and hit the throttle hard. He had the good sense to grab the stick and barely steer us out of harms way. At one point it seemed we were under the front of the barge as we scooted out around the corner. I could have struck a match on the hull. After almost being swamped by the wake, we regained our composure and I realized I had a keeper trout on the whole time.

After that, plus one more terrifying misadventure on Toledo Bend, I quit riding in other people's boats.

"He is the most flawed person I have ever met in my life,"
General John Kelly, United States Marine Corps (Ret.), describing Donald "Dolt45" Trump

Never be upset by the success of another. Never be pleased by the pain of another.

Ezekiel 23:20
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide