Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Tourn. Trail Pay-Outs [Re: T Bird] #11744728 07/27/16 03:30 PM
B
BAGaBass Offline
Angler
Angler
B
I fished the bud light open on Hubbard sunday. Only 13 boats fished,therefore it paid 2 places. I came in third because of a dead fish penalty. Would've had second place and big bass if not for the penalty. The TD went ahead and gave me a very nice tfo rod as a consolation prize when he didn't have to. The guy is a class act in my book and I will fish more of them in the future. I have fished several in the past and won $. Point is he went the extra mile when most wouldn't. Thank you Bud Light series......

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Tourn. Trail Pay-Outs [Re: T Bird] #11744834 07/27/16 04:36 PM
D
David Burton Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
D
I think I understand where the comment about they are not all what you think is coming from:

If you just took the payout that is part of the tournament structure, and took out all contingencies, bonuses, sponsor packages, television production, ad sales, the percentage is nowhere near 100%. The trails have to make money to pay staff and yes, earn a profit! I am guessing that the 75-80% is probably about average per trail. Some will be lower, some higher.

David Burton
2015 Skeeter FX 21 +Ultrex +Helix 12 (x3) +Mega360 +MegaLive
Re: Tourn. Trail Pay-Outs [Re: B3AR] #11744980 07/27/16 05:45 PM
P
PowPowOl'Son Offline
Angler
Angler
P
Originally Posted By: Ronin0311
Originally Posted By: Chris Davis - USAFishingTrails
Originally Posted By: Txduckhunter
I believe Media pays back 85%.
I wonder what the actual breakdown is in champs? I've done the numbers for Budlight and a couple of others. They aren't all that you think.

Since you called us out specifically in your post, what exactly does "They aren't all that you think" mean? We have always payed out 80% at our division tournaments, and we have NEVER not paid out at least 80% for a tournament. Our championships are in the hundreds of percent.

What exactly do you mean? Please explain.

These guys run the circuits so we as anglers, can have a good time and feel like we are at the show.

I agree with everything you said except that one line. They aren't necessarily there for us. They are there to make money. If it was for is, then they'd pay back 100%

Re: Tourn. Trail Pay-Outs [Re: B3AR] #11745084 07/27/16 06:32 PM
Chris Davis - USAFishingTrails Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
I wonder what the actual breakdown is in champs? I've done the numbers for Budlight and a couple of others. They aren't all that you think.

Since you called us out specifically in your post, what exactly does "They aren't all that you think" mean? We have always payed out 80% at our division tournaments, and we have NEVER not paid out at least 80% for a tournament. Our championships are in the hundreds of percent.

I'm going to go ahead come to the defense of Chris and the Bud Light Trail (not that he needs me to). I am not a professional angler by any means, but I have fished everything from local working man tournaments to CBT Charity events with 300+ boats. Chris is not only one of most professional tournament directors I've ever met, he also runs a great circuit. He treats everybody with respect and has always been friendly to me in every interaction we've had. I'm not really sure what you mean by "they aren't all that you think...?" The payouts have always been good, even on the events we had this year where less than 20 boats showed up. If you want bigger payouts, why don't you help to recruit more anglers for the circuit? Or, go pay 5k for an entry fee and fish the Elites? I don't understand why you would want to get on here and bash (whether intentional or not) circuits and how they are ran? I fished every event on the Dallas-East for BLT and guess what...Chris was the first one at the ramp and the last one to leave. I am not saying that he is taking money off the top, but how is he supposed to pay for gas and food while he is running the circuit? Do you show up to work before everybody and leave after everybody for free? These guys run the circuits so we as anglers, can have a good time and feel like we are at the show. It gets old getting on here and seeing circuits bashed for no reason. You don't like it, fish a different circuit...don't like that, start your own circuit and do 100% payback. You can work for free and pay out of pocket for all the expenses like gas, food, hotels, etc. running around Texas and weighing in everybody's fish.

Thank you very much for saying this.

Chris Davis | 214-616-5693
chris.davis@usabasstrails.com
Re: Tourn. Trail Pay-Outs [Re: BAGaBass] #11745085 07/27/16 06:33 PM
Chris Davis - USAFishingTrails Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: BAGaBass
I fished the bud light open on Hubbard sunday. Only 13 boats fished,therefore it paid 2 places. I came in third because of a dead fish penalty. Would've had second place and big bass if not for the penalty. The TD went ahead and gave me a very nice tfo rod as a consolation prize when he didn't have to. The guy is a class act in my book and I will fish more of them in the future. I have fished several in the past and won $. Point is he went the extra mile when most wouldn't. Thank you Bud Light series......

Thanks for the support! I wish we could have given you two TFO rods!

Chris Davis | 214-616-5693
chris.davis@usabasstrails.com
Re: Tourn. Trail Pay-Outs [Re: T Bird] #11745131 07/27/16 06:48 PM
RedRanger Online Content
burro desagradable
Online Content
burro desagradable
Best paying trail will be the 100% payback clubs, and RHBC draws about 40 boats per tournament and they are close to 100% ,some is kept for the Classic.

Re: Tourn. Trail Pay-Outs [Re: T Bird] #11745145 07/27/16 06:54 PM
P
popcork Offline
Angler
Angler
P
I normally do not chime in on these types of rants, but for some reason I felt compelled too. I think you should look at these tournament trails as providing a service to fisherman. If you do not like the payout or how the trail is ran don't fish the trail there are others around including clubs. Don't sit back and criticize others for the service they provide when you have a choice. Chris, Gordon, and others I for one say "THANK YOU" for the service you provide.

Re: Tourn. Trail Pay-Outs [Re: B3AR] #11745149 07/27/16 06:57 PM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S

I'm going to go ahead come to the defense of Chris and the Bud Light Trail (not that he needs me to). I am not a professional angler by any means, but I have fished everything from local working man tournaments to CBT Charity events with 300+ boats. Chris is not only one of most professional tournament directors I've ever met, he also runs a great circuit. He treats everybody with respect and has always been friendly to me in every interaction we've had. I'm not really sure what you mean by "they aren't all that you think...?" The payouts have always been good, even on the events we had this year where less than 20 boats showed up. If you want bigger payouts, why don't you help to recruit more anglers for the circuit? Or, go pay 5k for an entry fee and fish the Elites? I don't understand why you would want to get on here and bash (whether intentional or not) circuits and how they are ran? I fished every event on the Dallas-East for BLT and guess what...Chris was the first one at the ramp and the last one to leave. I am not saying that he is taking money off the top, but how is he supposed to pay for gas and food while he is running the circuit? Do you show up to work before everybody and leave after everybody for free? These guys run the circuits so we as anglers, can have a good time and feel like we are at the show. It gets old getting on here and seeing circuits bashed for no reason. You don't like it, fish a different circuit...don't like that, start your own circuit and do 100% payback. You can work for free and pay out of pocket for all the expenses like gas, food, hotels, etc. running around Texas and weighing in everybody's fish.

Very well said. It costs money to run a tourney. Obviously.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Tourn. Trail Pay-Outs [Re: B3AR] #11745159 07/27/16 07:01 PM
S
sprigsss Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S

I too echo these sentiments.

We fished the Pick 5 this year on the Bud Light Trail. Chris was at every single weigh in from Alan Henry, Hubbard Creek, Eufala, and Texoma. That's a lot of travel time as well as setting up and picking up.

Was my first time fishing any sort of trail. We placed 2nd in one tournament, other than that didn't do too well. It has been a very enjoyable experience. Weigh ins are always entertaining and I thought payouts were always extremely fair.

Can't wait for next season.

Last edited by sprigsss; 07/27/16 07:03 PM.
Re: Tourn. Trail Pay-Outs [Re: T Bird] #11745344 07/27/16 08:50 PM
T
texasbass1 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T
If you don't like the payout schedule for a trail then don't fish it. You don't have to be a troll.

I have fished just about all the individual and team trails (ABA, MBAA, Media, Bud Light, Honey Hole, Anglers Choice, just to name a few)in North Texas over the last bunch of years. The last thing I ever worried about was how much the trail was making, because at the end of the year if they don't make a profit they won't be around next year.

Damn, I just realized I might be getting old. Well not yet.

Pat Leach
USAF MSgt Retired
92 Procraft 180 Pro
24 Mercury 150 Pro XS 4 Stroke
Minn Kota Ulterra 80
Re: Tourn. Trail Pay-Outs [Re: T Bird] #11745364 07/27/16 09:02 PM
J
jimmye123 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
J
[u][/u]Well as a fisherman and a tournament director, this is how I go about my squaw creek opens... I normally make 5 to 7 dollars per boat, I always pay 1 place per 5 entries, 2 for 10, and so on, also I always pay the odd place rounded up, and usually a free entry for 1st out of the money... the money that we keep goes towards scales, gate fee etc... it is not easy doing one of these... we are the last ones out, and the 1st ones in... several other folks have tried this format and screwed it up...
I am a fisherman I like to fish,and compete as well,,none of these tournament trails can do all that they do without a profit...

Last edited by jimmye123; 07/27/16 09:03 PM.

Fun-N-Sun Metro Director
06 Legend le21
Fast cars, fast boats,
Re: Tourn. Trail Pay-Outs [Re: T Bird] #11745382 07/27/16 09:14 PM
C
Chris G Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
I've fished quite a few of the trails mentioned here and all have their own way of doing things and none that I have seen are what I would call bad. These people do this for a living in most cases and just like how I run my business, its designed to generate the most profit possible while still keeping a great customer base. If the profit is to the detriment of the customers then the business doesn't last.

It's simple, the larger trails such as Bass Champs have significant sponsors so they tend to pay out around 100% of the entry fees taken in for their regular events. I compare that to some of the smaller trails that do not have the same sponsors and they pay about 85% of the entry fees taken in for a tournament. Again, both work for the people that want to fish them.

Again, none of these guys are running tournaments for fun. It's a ton of work and they can run their trails however they wish and the guys that fish tournaments will decide if they want to fish them.

To answer the OP, I only fish Bass Champs outside of a tourney here and there. I only have a certain amount of time available and that's the one I prefer to fish both for the potential pay outs and the stiff level of competition.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide