Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Time to fess up!!! [Re: BlueNitro] #11722351 07/14/16 04:10 PM
Fab Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
OK I have one too.
I was about 13 years old and learning how to guide my uncle back to the trailer and hitch it up to the truck.
I was able to guide him back, get the hitch on the ball, lowered the trailer down and get all the lights hooked up.
Well there was some beer drinking going on between my uncle and my dad along conversations of the fishing plans. That being said they didn't double check my work.
We load everything up, get on the road and I am ready for a great day on the lake.

Did anyone notice I skipped a couple of steps in my hitching up the trailer?
Yup, I didn't secure the hitch to the ball, nor did I put the chains on.
Well that is where it gets interesting.
We are driving down the road and then what comes passing by us on the drivers side?
Yup the boat!
We all look at it cruising past us and all I remember my uncle saying is "Oh S**t!"
Fortunately we weren't going all that fast and weren't on the highway yet.
We lived out in the country and were on the back roads.
Down the bar ditch she went and the the trailer jack dug into the ground bringing her to a quick stop.

They weren't all too happy with me, but hey I was 13 and they should have double checked my work right?
We got it out of the ditch and hitched up "correctly" this time and headed to the lake.
Other than the bent trailer jack and my bruised ego, cause at 13 you know how to do everything, no major harm no foul.

Oh by the way, after experiencing the forgotten boat plug with my brother on his boat and me telling myself that I will never do that, I learned to never say never.
I have forgotten the boat plug a hand full of times and kick myself in the rear every time I do.
Thank goodness for the automatic bilge pump that comes on reminding me and save my rig.

He who guards his mouth and tongue keeps himself from calimity.
Prov 21:23

Lake Fork Electronics Training
Lane Palmer - Constant Pursuit Outfitters
Re: Time to fess up!!! [Re: oakpointaggie] #11722457 07/14/16 05:16 PM
BlueNitro Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: oakpointaggie
Ok this did not happen to me but I'm waiting for the guy who fishes LL to fess up and tell us how his center console came off his trailer in the middle of Hwy 380 a month or so ago at night. Whole west bound highway was shut down and boat sitting in the middle of the right lane. Felt bad for him.. was a nice boat.

It wasn't me!!!!

Ouch!!!

LiftSaver Trolling Motor Mounting Bracket - Patent Pending and LiftSaver Transducer Pole Mount
www.liftsavertmmount.com
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Works with MG Xi5, Xi3 and MK Terrova, Ulterra, PD V2 and Riptides as well.

Re: Time to fess up!!! [Re: BlueNitro] #11722627 07/14/16 06:47 PM
P
PlanoPaul Offline
Angler
Angler
P
The worst is when you know for a fact that you put the plug in the boat, but yet after fishing for 45 or so minutes you notice some water start to push through the floor drain.... Yep, right out in the middle of the hydrilla mats on Roberts, which means we have at least a 15-20min trolling motor ride until we can even think about using the big motor to get to shore and figure out what the heck is happening(side note: trolling motor doesn't move a 20ft boat full of water very well...) At this point, we're pretty much thinking we're on the Titanic, all we can do is kick on the dual bilge and keep heading out of the mat. Well after about 5 mins of my heart beating out of my chest, we notice that the dual bilge is not only keeping up with the water, but actually gaining ground!! Not sure what it feels like to win the lottery, but I gotta believe it's very similar to the way i felt when I notice the water receding! After bilging all the water out we found the culprit, the housing on the aerator pump had cracked open and water was just pouring in. So did we let this ruin our day of fishing, HECK NO! Pulled out a bag of caterpillar centipedes(was bass fishing at this point in time) and proceeded to shove them into the crack until they sealed it up! Fished the rest of the day without a drop of water in the boat! Moral of the story: Always have a boat with dual bilge, and carry a bag of caterpillar centipedes....

Re: Time to fess up!!! [Re: BlueNitro] #11722808 07/14/16 08:25 PM
Mark Priddy Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
New Bayliner 175. First time out. Hall in Butt all the way to the north end of the lake 45mph. Life is Good cool Didn't know you could be 200 or 300 yards from the bank and the water only be 1 foot deep. Made the prop screw threw the mud till I made it back to deep water. Bending the prop along the way. Would only run about 20mph on the way back. Life starting to suck a little. But sucked a lot more after I stopped the boat by running into the dock removing a nice peace of gel coat. frown

Couple years back,I was rusty I hadn't been fishing. No plug sunk boat all the way to flotation.Batts well work under a foot of water who would have known. Water in gas tank throw air breather pipe. What a mess. Really regret not setting up my tripod and getting some video. bang

And the time South end of RR slough. New the wind had picked up. But not 30 mph no turning back. What a ride in A 15 ft bass boat all the way to the north end. Never again.

Mark Priddy

Re: Time to fess up!!! [Re: BlueNitro] #11722855 07/14/16 08:52 PM
T
Texasredneck70 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
My Dad sunk the car and the boat both on Millwood lake back in the early 80s. He went to unhook everything and the emergency break gave out. He moved out of the way as they both passed him headed toward the lake.

Barry

Re: Time to fess up!!! [Re: BlueNitro] #11723042 07/14/16 10:57 PM
C
crappiecat1 Offline
Angler
Angler
C
done that before by the time we got to 635 and hwy 175 boat came off the hitch right on top of the bridge. cars and trucks passing by and would not stop to help. i was trying to get it back on the hitch before my boss came through since i called in sick that day.

Re: Time to fess up!!! [Re: BlueNitro] #11726858 07/17/16 03:28 AM
F
Fooshman Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
First time out with the boat. Pulled over to the side before getting to the ramp area to get everything situated but forgot a couple of important things. Noticed before even having the boat off of the trailer.

[Linked Image]

Re: Time to fess up!!! [Re: BlueNitro] #11726897 07/17/16 03:57 AM
E
Executioner376 Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
E
took my 1st boat that i ever had out fishing with my buddy, after about 20 minutes of looking for a place to fish i noticed that the boat felt wrong like it wasnt properly buoyant , so i had my buddy check the compartment and it was completely full of water, i kicked on the bilge and we ran my boat aground at a random shoreline to look for what was causing the water to come in (yes i remember to put the plug in), at that point we couldnt find a reason as to why it was filling up so we decided to start it back up and take it in, we ran it aground again at the shore by the boat launch because we still had to replace the rotted trailer bunks which something we had planned to do after fishing, after we finished that i went back to boat to look some more to see if i could find the cause of the leak, after about 15 minutes of feeling every possible thing i could get my hand/hands on i noticed that the live well thru-hull fittings broke and caused the pipes to push in and slide over which left the holes wide open for water the rush in, when we looked the first time the pipes had some how worked their way bike into the holes which is why my and my buddy didnt notice them the 1st time we had run the boat aground, poor pre boat inspection lead to the worst day id ever had on the lake

2018 Silverado Z71
1995 Skeeter 200ZX W/ 200HP Merc XRI
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide