Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: The TFF Angler Profile [Re: JacksonBean] #11710009 07/07/16 06:42 PM
Ken A. Offline
Groovy
Groovy
Originally Posted By: JacksonBean
Right in the midst of the pot stirring these last few weeks, huh Gig?

This was somewhat of an inside joke between this redneck "Bob" and my buddy Ken, one and the same. I'll amend my post if it makes you happy. Keep your politics away please. (Though my guess is that Bob is a concealed carrying conservative republican) wink

Tight lines,
Jackson

Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of '96

P.S. Great survey Mark. thumb

I'm an East Texas Redneck trapped in a 6 Foot One Inch Korean's body!! roflmao

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: The TFF Angler Profile [Re: Ken A.] #11710090 07/07/16 07:21 PM
C
Chris G Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
Originally Posted By: Ken A.
Originally Posted By: JacksonBean
Right in the midst of the pot stirring these last few weeks, huh Gig?

This was somewhat of an inside joke between this redneck "Bob" and my buddy Ken, one and the same. I'll amend my post if it makes you happy. Keep your politics away please. (Though my guess is that Bob is a concealed carrying conservative republican) wink

Tight lines,
Jackson

Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of '96

P.S. Great survey Mark. thumb

I'm an East Texas Redneck trapped in a 6 Foot One Inch Korean's body!! roflmao

They don't call him the Korean Cowboy for nothing......Looks like Bruce Lee and talks like John Wayne. I will nevr forget that group text that night all those years ago.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: The TFF Angler Profile [Re: Mark Jones] #11710498 07/07/16 09:50 PM
Texascajun69 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
I wouldn't take a pay cut, wouldn't ride in a SKitter, nor drive a Japanese vehicle. smile

John K Fontenot
Diapers and Politicians need to be changed often; and for the same reason.
Re: The TFF Angler Profile [Re: Mark Jones] #11711385 07/08/16 05:22 AM
M
Mulholland Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
It occurs to me that based on the answering format for age group and for household income and any others posed as such, you are presenting mode (largest pie slice...numeric occurance of outcome), and not mean (average) or median (middle of road) for whats its worth noting... So yes it does indicate Bob as a reflection of majority however Bill a true average of all our answers would perhaps be sunstancially more modestly funded and young depending on how close numbers are. And Bud, the middle of the road guy may be higher or lower than expected as well depending how heavily the results scew up or down.

I look forwards to seeing the full detailed data. Hope you intend to share it.

Re: The TFF Angler Profile [Re: Mark Jones] #11711536 07/08/16 12:20 PM
buton Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
i am curious to know how many kids, divorced or married that 50 year old angler is....

Last edited by buton; 07/08/16 12:20 PM.

Re: The TFF Angler Profile [Re: Mark Jones] #11712044 07/08/16 04:34 PM
InTheClear Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Mercury is the leading motor, Skeeter is the most popular? hmmm

Re: The TFF Angler Profile [Re: InTheClear] #11712068 07/08/16 04:44 PM
K
kellisag Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
K
Originally Posted By: InTheClear

Not surprising, you see far more Merc's on bass boats than any other brand.

Re: The TFF Angler Profile [Re: Mark Jones] #11712093 07/08/16 04:56 PM
M
Mulholland Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
Peopke are scratchingntheir heads because they assume that since Skeeter is the most popular boat per the survey and they do t come with mercuries, that another outboard manufacturer should have placed 1st there.

They fail to understand that if the skeeters have no mercs and lets say have were evinrude and half yamaha, that still leaves the rest of all boats to potentially have mercury out oatbard, which are well knwn as the #1 selling oytboard so...

See my previous post for a brief glimps into how the data should be more accurately represented in a broader spectrum. Based solely off of mode, we don't get a fully accurate picture of the landscape of the data set.

Sure the largest slice own skeetersbut there werewhat, 9 options and other? So 10 slices of the pie at least, that could mean as little as 11% have skeeters but we say the average gu Bob (not an accurate statement) has a skeeter when really only 1 in 9 have a skeeter. There is no way to average boat brands or outboard brands, but the way age and household income were portrayed as averges when they are simply the mode not the mean or even median is very flawed data presentation.

I guarantee you that the average income across our lovely forum is not north of 6 figures. I'd wager the true "average" Bob has less income than me and countless times more debt.

I would love to see the raw data and help present it in a few more realistic ways. Marketting is a hell of a thing, we could make the same set of data show multile very different "Bob"s as I have already putlined.

Processed data is not the same as raw data. Take it with a grain of salt.

This same reasoning I have provided is also how we end up with elected officials without majority support. The difference between A majority of votes vs. THE majority of votes. This type of polling almost guarantees that no category will have anywhere close to 51%+ of votes. Alternative vote > first past the post.

Re: The TFF Angler Profile [Re: Mark Jones] #11712105 07/08/16 05:03 PM
Mark Perry Online Content
Super Freak
Online Content
Super Freak
Not real hard to figure out. Say Skeeter got 37% of the vote then you have close to 37% Yamaha outboards though a few older Skeeters will have Mercs etc. That leaves a combined 63% of the other boat brands that are not Skeeter. Obviously that 63% of boats have a considerably larger amounts on non Yamaha outboards.

Disclaimer in that my percentages are random just to show how its possible.

Re: The TFF Angler Profile [Re: Mark Jones] #11712126 07/08/16 05:18 PM
JacksonBean Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Just to be clear...... I'm NOT arguing Mulholand but I think there's a simple explanation.

With Ranger, Nitro, Bass Cat, Triton, Legend and Tracker all somewhat leaning toward Merc or at least having a good split among these top two motors and Skeeter being 100% Yamaha these days, it really is just about choices.

For boat brands you have so many good choices but Skeeter is an east Texas favorite so it inches ahead in this sample. For motors in recent history, one could argue there have been two (not slighting the new Rude but they weren't a good choice a few years back) and anyone spending much time on Texas waters would have to agree Merc has the edge. It's really not hard to believe when you think about it.

I get the feeling Mark could have gotten as detailed as we wanted but probably run many of us off with too much requested information. I like the snapshot this provided, but then again, I'm Bob. wink

[Linked Image]
Re: The TFF Angler Profile [Re: Mark Jones] #11712132 07/08/16 05:21 PM
F
fitter2259 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
F
With over 100k registered members and only 500 participants in the survey, I don't think you could call the results a TFF "average" by any means. A small sampling of members who chose to participate yes, an overall average nope.

Re: The TFF Angler Profile [Re: Mark Jones] #11712194 07/08/16 05:48 PM
M
Mulholland Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
Yes fitter, even if true averages were taken they would hardly be indicative of a tue average.

I'm pretty certain the actual Bob (average of all tff members) may not even own a boat lol

Re: The TFF Angler Profile [Re: fitter2259] #11712237 07/08/16 06:04 PM
Mark Perry Online Content
Super Freak
Online Content
Super Freak
Originally Posted By: fitter2259
With over 100k registered members and only 500 participants in the survey, I don't think you could call the results a TFF "average" by any means. A small sampling of members who chose to participate yes, an overall average nope.

Mark makes his living in outdoor marketing. I am gonna take his knowledge of the subject as someone that is an expert in fishing industry marketing. Doubt it all you want but I bet his knowledge on the subject exceeds most on here.

Re: The TFF Angler Profile [Re: kellisag] #11712345 07/08/16 07:01 PM
T
TxRanger1 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
T
Originally Posted By: kellisag
Originally Posted By: InTheClear

Not surprising, you see far more Merc's on bass boats than any other brand.

That doesn't mean they are better, just cheaper.
I am a little older than Bob. I don't have a skeeter or a mercury, I bought my boat and motor brand new and now it is older than a lot of people on here, I don't have power poles, cant see a 2,000 to 4,000 dollar value with them, don't buy anything because a pro says to or uses it, mainly because I am not sure that they are pro fishermen or pro marketing reps, don't have a rod or a reel that cost over $100 each, both trucks have bowties, sometimes fish with minners, at the age that rather than worry about what I say, think what the hell, throw it out there and see what happens. I read a lot of posts on here and learn a lot from what I read, post questions when I need help, get some genuine help and laugh when an answer has nothing to do with the question but there is always that one guy that just has to say something. I don't care what you run, drive fish with or anything else because I know for a fact the best equipment ever made is what you have. I really get a kick out of the "help me decide " posts on here. AAAAAANNNNNDDDDDD there have been a couple of times I may have responded to a response just to pi$$ someone off and stir the pot.

Re: The TFF Angler Profile [Re: Mulholland] #11712484 07/08/16 08:35 PM
Mark Jones Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted By: Mulholland
Peopke are scratchingntheir heads because they assume that since Skeeter is the most popular boat per the survey and they do t come with mercuries, that another outboard manufacturer should have placed 1st there.

They fail to understand that if the skeeters have no mercs and lets say have were evinrude and half yamaha, that still leaves the rest of all boats to potentially have mercury out oatbard, which are well knwn as the #1 selling oytboard so...

See my previous post for a brief glimps into how the data should be more accurately represented in a broader spectrum. Based solely off of mode, we don't get a fully accurate picture of the landscape of the data set.

Sure the largest slice own skeetersbut there werewhat, 9 options and other? So 10 slices of the pie at least, that could mean as little as 11% have skeeters but we say the average gu Bob (not an accurate statement) has a skeeter when really only 1 in 9 have a skeeter. There is no way to average boat brands or outboard brands, but the way age and household income were portrayed as averges when they are simply the mode not the mean or even median is very flawed data presentation.

I guarantee you that the average income across our lovely forum is not north of 6 figures. I'd wager the true "average" Bob has less income than me and countless times more debt.

I would love to see the raw data and help present it in a few more realistic ways. Marketting is a hell of a thing, we could make the same set of data show multile very different "Bob"s as I have already putlined.

Processed data is not the same as raw data. Take it with a grain of salt.

This same reasoning I have provided is also how we end up with elected officials without majority support. The difference between A majority of votes vs. THE majority of votes. This type of polling almost guarantees that no category will have anywhere close to 51%+ of votes. Alternative vote > first past the post.

As mentioned, I'll share some of the broader data after the survey closes. "Bob" represented the largest segments in each category. There's most definitely a Rick, John, Randy, and Jerry profile here. Lol.

I also noted that Merc represented the largest percentage of the motor market, so that didn't completely fit the profile. However the Skeeter presence and increase here is a Texas only market percentage. All of our national survey data has Skeeter in the 3rd or 4th slot as boat brands go. So therefore in Texas, Yamaha gets that bump in this survey. They lose that ground in the national numbers.

As for the comment on the sampling size. There are tons of anglers here but they don't all reside in the bass section. In fact the other categories here are quite large. This sampling which is now approaching 600 anglers is very accurate for the bass category. We have surveys from national data with 2000+ respondents and you'd be shocked at how closely this data aligns. It's within 1-2% points. The only difference in the data is really seen with Ford and Skeeter. This sample is also VERY tournament heavy which I would expect the bass section to be.

More to come gents and good conversation regardless. There's nothing to get emotional over as this is simple raw survey data. It's for brands to learn from and understand and hopefully this data can help some of the smaller companies focused on the bass space that might not otherwise see it. It's simply a tool and a real time snapshot of where this forum stands related to the bass section.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide