Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Bow "Hunting" Carp [Re: texasflycaster] #11707218 07/06/16 03:13 PM
B
Bass_Bustin_Texan Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
It's like crops, some years they grow and some years they don't. Mother Nature can be the only explanation. smile

You can avoid having ulcers by adapting to the situation: If you fall in the mud puddle, check your pockets for fish. ~Unknown

Open your eyes & look within, are you satisfied with the life youre living.

No matter how good or bad you have it, wake up each day thankful for your life. Someone somewhere else is desperately fighting for theirs.
Re: Bow "Hunting" Carp [Re: texasflycaster] #11707403 07/06/16 04:28 PM
W
winchester44 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
W
Likely true!

Re: Bow "Hunting" Carp [Re: winchester44] #11707536 07/06/16 05:29 PM
W
WoollyBugger Offline
Angler
Angler
W
Originally Posted By: winchester44
Originally Posted By: hook-line&sinker
Does anyone harvest the fish they shoot? From what I've seen and smelled around here I'd say not... That's the primary reason I don't bow fish anymore, there is nothing to do with the fish after you have shot them and there are few things nastier than a boat full of dead fish..

The "problem" as I see it with shooting rough fish can be compared with the excessive littering of plastic bottles and aluminum cans. Once the fish is shot the carcass has little to no value just like the pop bottle or can. As long as these spent items have no value the waste will continue. Punishment & fines or the "threat of those two" doesn't seem to stop the practice. Maybe if we were to monetize/tax the harvest and/or use of resources like plastic and aluminum (to add value) then maybe the wasting of these resources will be curbed.

As far as littering of cans and bottles go other states use the deposit/tax to add value and thus create the incentive to return the spent cans and bottles for the refund. I don't know how a system would work for harvesting rough fish and maybe it belongs in the private sector but there is a business opportunity there somewhere. I know lots of bow fishers that would love a few dollars to offset the costs of a night spent under the lights.. Hey Honey.. I'm off to shoot up some beer money! wink

Small longnose gar in particular is not bad at all very flaky and firm with a very mild flavor. Alligator gar is prized in Mexico and is traditional meal served during lent and is popular as "gar balls" in East Texas an Louisiana. However several biologist have told me that like all long lived fish the larger older ones tend to have unacceptably high concentrations of heavy metals like mercury and should not be consumed. Roe of all gar species should never be eaten as its highly toxic. Tilapia and Buffalo can be found live for sale at many grocery stores. Some are definitely eaten, but most are not. Just looks at the photos out there on Facebook and try to find one cube of ice anywhere. The tournaments usually try to find a farmer in need of fertilizer, but the smell is horrendous. In conclusion would be willing to bet a large portion if not the majority are lined up for a photo, a weigh in and then dumped and sometimes buried. However, that could be a good thing on certain lakes and rivers. Such as the Asian Carp in the midwest or the Plecos in the San Marcos. However, we are talking about Ray Roberts here. Would be curious to hear what others have seen there who have been fishing there a long time.

I'd pass on that buffalo fish.

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/00056038.htm

Re: Bow "Hunting" Carp [Re: texasflycaster] #11708220 07/06/16 10:36 PM
2FlyFish4 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
I wouldn't mind seeing ray roberts turned into a C&R carp lake.

I do have some concerns. First is do the bowfisherman really take that many carp out of that lake? If I had to guess they probably only take 1% of the population, if that. I think most people would be amazed by the total carp population that lake carries compared to how many are shot, caught or even seen on a daily basis. Second, carp reproduce fast and grow relatively fast, if they over take a lake they can quickly turn it into a worthless body of water. The clear flats that currently can be found on that lake will be muddy and full of stunted fish. Ask anybody who manages ponds about the importance of culling fish to maintain balance. Third, being close to a metropolitan city and a state that loves its bass fishing along with the general consensus of bass fisherman preferring carp to be eradicated. It may be pretty hard to convince the public to turn the lake into a C&R carp fishery.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide