Forums59
Topics1,039,855
Posts13,971,202
Members144,222
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 31 of 37 1 2 29 30 31 32 33 36 37
Re: Lake Lavon Fishing Guide Report ( Updated weekly w/ pics and tips ) [Re: TarponFly] #11614067 05/20/16 11:19 AM
B
beltonbill Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
Thank you for the reply.

Re: Lake Lavon Fishing Guide Report ( Updated weekly w/ pics and tips ) [Re: TarponFly] #11618752 05/22/16 11:41 PM
T
TarponFly Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
T
Report: Cold Front with North and East winds, Full Moon, and swinging air pressure-last 3-4 days I hear its been slow on every lake pretty much the last couple days. Slow on my end too. I have not been on Lavon in 4 days but people tell me they locked down. Now, today, at 1130 am the fish finally turned on like hitting the light switch. Went from 10 fish to over 200 within an hour. Left them biting (at a diff lake). We finally got our south wind back so tomorrow should be normal 400+ fish days again. I hit Lavon tomorrow, so we shall see what she throws at us.....

[Linked Image]

https://CowboyNavy.org ( please sign up if you have a boat )

Contact Number 469-528-0210

Facebook- Carey Thorn Foshing Guide
Re: Lake Lavon Fishing Guide Report ( Updated weekly w/ pics and tips ) [Re: TarponFly] #11619141 05/23/16 02:21 AM
CHAMPION FISH Online Happy
TFF Celebrity
Online Happy
TFF Celebrity
I had some buddies on Lavon. They said it was a tough morning.

[Linked Image]
" Success is a ladder you can not climb with your hands in your pockets."

www.pro-cure.com
www.falconrods.com
Re: Lake Lavon Fishing Guide Report ( Updated weekly w/ pics and tips ) [Re: TarponFly] #11619356 05/23/16 04:13 AM
A
Anchorman Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
A
Me and my son did pretty well today. We caught about 50 or so and kept 20 nice ones. It took us about an hour to find them. Once we found them on the windy side of a point we anchored and fished for about 2 hours and had a blast. Friday and the first hour today I was fishing too deep. Today we found them almost right up on the bank. We had the best bite on a 1/4 oz white road runner and a chrome rattle trap. We fished from about 11 - 2. We had fun today on Lavon.

Last edited by Anchorman; 05/23/16 04:14 AM.

If it ain't yours don't mess with it!
Need a friendly place to talk hunting? www.talkhunting.com

Re: Lake Lavon Fishing Guide Report ( Updated weekly w/ pics and tips ) [Re: TarponFly] #11619508 05/23/16 12:17 PM
T
TarponFly Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
T

She threw a storm at us.

[Linked Image]

Re: Lake Lavon Fishing Guide Report ( Updated weekly w/ pics and tips ) [Re: TarponFly] #11660163 06/11/16 03:37 AM
T
TarponFly Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
T
Epic trips everyday!

Please people, put gas in your boat and start it before you get to the lake and make sure everything works. I towed three boats back Saturday

I've been there almost every single day Sunday through Friday. Skipping Saturdays due to I'm at Texoma.

Fishing has been an absolute blast at Lake Lavon. We have been taking limits of white bass/sand bass everyday. I'm also taking limits steadily on crappie. Today the Sandy's quit at about 9 o'clock never to be found. I switched over crappie and started killing them on timber and brush piles. 12-20 ft. We caught fish deep at 22 ft all the way up the water column at 10 ft. Landed 24 keeper crappie in less than an hour. Pretty darn good for a kid that has never fished before.

Then the sand bass started up again. Started whacking them every drop in 18 ft at 1130 am. Left them biting due to we ran out of cooler room to put the fish in. Make sure y'all bring a cooler big enough for 25 fish per person plus bonus fish. These little small 2 foot coolers don't cut it. I'm on the lake to limit. I'm not there to catch six or seven fish. Bring a big cooler!

TexasOklahomaFishingGuide@yahoo.com

469-528-0210

Texting me is the fastest way to get a response. As soon as I get to my calendar I will respond.

Below is a small rant: it's from all fishing guides to their clients.

If the guide wants you there at 6:15 you better be ready at 6:15 to board the boat. As a guide, we have plans of attack, on how we are going to fill up the cooler in the morning. We think about it the night before and the whole drive to the lake. We have to be in certain spots at certain times to catch these fish. They are on patterns and we have to follow them. Unfortunately people think the fish come to me, but that is absolutely not true. Except at night when I turn my green lights on. But during the day I have to go find them. My clients were not late today, but a couple of Clients in the past have been. As a result, we would get to the spot and the fish have already been biting for a half an hour.

Guides hate not limiting.

Catching fish before the sun even comes up.

Granted, there are some people that have never caught a fish in their life and they are just enjoying not being in an office and could care less if they keep or catch a limit.

In my small little world, I get really pissed off if I don't catch a limit. Plain and simple.

Sometimes the fish will only bite for an hour or two at most. Then they will go down and suspend in the water column digesting what they ate during the morning feeding, and we won't be able to catch them, because they already ate before we got to them! So we only have a certain time frame some days to catch these things. (End of rant)

I have fished five of the top Lakes with artificial luers ( no bait ), and I have to say, Lavon is fishing absolutely amazing. If you are an avid fisherman and you hop on my boat. I'm 99.9% sure we are going to limit. In the last month on Lavon, I've just missed the limit only twice, ( north wind blowing 18-20 & an East wind day blowing 12-15 mphl. The rest of the days we have limited.

Think about it, a couple days ago I took a five-year-old out. I showed him how to use a bait caster and how to drop a lure to the bottom of the lake and lift up. He caught 114-117 I think?

Let's go fishing!

[Linked Image]

Re: Lake Lavon Fishing Guide Report ( Updated weekly w/ pics and tips ) [Re: TarponFly] #11660164 06/11/16 03:37 AM
T
TarponFly Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
T

My camera on phone cracked so my pics are fuz.

Color and size of slabs does not matter. As long as you're on top of feeding fish! The last two days they have been feeding in the morning and then the evening. Didn't really find a school during the day that was feeding hard. They would bite sporadically for 10 or 15 minutes and then quit for a couple hours. But the mornings in the evenings are almost guaranteed to limit. Glasshouse, powerhouse point, Island, or hybrid point. They will feed him one of those locations at one point or another every morning and evening. Once you locate some baitfish early in the morning you should be able to find the Sandy's not too far off.

Kids catch doubles regularly.

Waiting on parents to send more pics of other trips. Every trip we have taken a limit. Some days they go all day and wear the clients out. Other days it's 1-2 hours of fish catching chaos, then slows to a trickle. We are averaging well over 100 fish per person/ per trip. Even 5 year olds are catching their 100. They drop the lure to the bottom and reel a fish up. Easy as that. If yall want some action while the kids are out of school, let's go!

TexasOklahomaFishingGuide.com

Or text: 469-528-0210

Fish and fun guaranteed!

Lake Lavon Fishing Guide

[Linked Image]

Re: Lake Lavon Fishing Guide Report ( Updated weekly w/ pics and tips ) [Re: TarponFly] #11660194 06/11/16 03:54 AM
CHAMPION FISH Online Happy
TFF Celebrity
Online Happy
TFF Celebrity
Great report Carey. I have only fished Lavon twice this year so far and both times it was amazing. I have fished close to Carey and his clients load the boat with great fish. Give him a call for some great fun.

[Linked Image]
" Success is a ladder you can not climb with your hands in your pockets."

www.pro-cure.com
www.falconrods.com
Re: Lake Lavon Fishing Guide Report ( Updated weekly w/ pics and tips ) [Re: TarponFly] #11660355 06/11/16 06:15 AM
A
Ajkracing Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
A
Do you use the 5050 Led strips for your boat? Worried if it'll be enough light or not.

The Silver Bullet.
Re: Lake Lavon Fishing Guide Report ( Updated weekly w/ pics and tips ) [Re: TarponFly] #11669835 06/15/16 10:09 PM
T
TarponFly Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
T
Wildcatlighting.com on LED

Report: June 15 th

Lavon Report:

Where did all the fish go? Took us a little less than two hours to get a limit of two different species. I thought I would've been able to do it faster but I'm blaming it on the 16 to 20 mph hour winds this morning. Throwback lots of 10.25 inch fish. We kept all the fish that were 11 inches and over. Only kept Sandy's that were over 15 inches except for one maybe two that we kille throwback lots of 10.25 inch fish. We kept all the fish that were 11 inches and over. Only kept Sandy's that were over 15 inches except one 12 inch that floated back up.

Sandbass: Feeding sporadically during the day. They are in 2 ft of water and out in 35 foot of water. Small fish in upper water column. Bigger fish seem to be cruising the bottom. When you are slabbing, don't lift the rod more then 2 ft off the bottom. They will even eat it dead sticking the slab, holding it just 2 inches from the bottom. Once you get about 2 feet off the bottom it's almost a guaranteed small sand bass or yellow bass.

If you're in one of the feeding frenzy's, it will start to trickle down and eventually stop. Within minutes the yellow bass will move in. I call them the cleanup crew. Once you start catching them it's time to Move On and go check one of the other spots. White slabs from moestackleshop.com are the only thing you need.

Crappie: they are holding to submerged in standing timber. They are starting to hold in some of the brush piles. Black and chartreuse and white and chartreuse Thump Buddies on 1/16 th oz jig heads are the only thing I use for crappie. They seem to work very well. Rocky Tops and Thump Buddies will last till you loose them. They are made of stronger plastic materials. 9 ft deep-25 ft deep. Most of your bites are going to get hammered 11 to 18 foot next to/or in structure.

If it's sunny, you really need to be tight to the structure. 2 foot off of standing timber you might not get bit at all.

Today and Yesterday:

Got a limit on White Bass.

Also same trip:

Got a Limit of Crappie

Rated #1 Multi-Species Fishing Guide in Texas.

TexasOklahomaFishingGuide@Yahoo.com

469-528-0210

-a few week days left. All weekends booked till August.

[Linked Image]

Re: Lake Lavon Fishing Guide Report ( Updated weekly w/ pics and tips ) [Re: TarponFly] #11670137 06/16/16 12:40 AM
S
SeaPro-Todd Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
S
Great reports and helpful infos, Carey! Thanks! smile

Re: Lake Lavon Fishing Guide Report ( Updated weekly w/ pics and tips ) [Re: TarponFly] #11674020 06/17/16 11:23 PM
T
TarponFly Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
T
Still murdering the fish..... Had some new to fishing people. Took a bit to teach them to set the hook and what a bite was. After an hour, they were catching crappie in the thick brush and slabbing up Magnum White Bass. The sandies were suspended today 300 yards out from the rail road tracks in 25 ft of water. They were hanging at 15-18 ft so we had to measure 15 ft of line to get a bite. If you were off by a foot, to deep or to shallow, NO BITE. It was very precise. Crappie were at 9 ft-18 ft on timber and brush. The bigger fish seem to be on timber, like the 15-16 inch crappie. Most are 10-11 inches on average with 10 being big usually.

[Linked Image]

Re: Lake Lavon Fishing Guide Report ( Updated weekly w/ pics and tips ) [Re: TarponFly] #11678984 06/21/16 12:05 AM
T
TarponFly Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
T

Every morning we chase the sand bass to start the morning, cause they are just so huge and fight so hard- just plain fun. After about 830 am, we switch to crappie if the sandies slowed, or we switch over when we get the limit of whites. The sandies are just plain monsters this year.

If you don't want to do that, that's perfectly ok. lol. You hop on my boat, just tell me what kind of fish you want to target and we will go catch it. ( except catfish, just not my thing )

Now, back to Crappie. I don't know if I'm looking forward to the gates ( on the dam ) closing or if I am dreading it? Currently the dam is releasing 3059 cfi. The Crappie are pretty easy right now even with the gates open. We start in 6-10 ft early morning in the flooded willows and follow the fish out to 15-20 ft, as the sun gets higher and higher. With the lake up 4 1/2+ feet, there are willows all over the lake that are half submerged along the banks. The crappie are up in the feeding on the spawning shad, and the small fry that are hiding in the willows. As the sun comes up, the fish push out and find cover in 15-20 ft just off shore. I am finding them on my Super Secret Secure Crappie Brush Piles that are in 12-18 ft of water and Submerged Timber in 20 ft on average. A bushy standing timber bunch, in 20 ft, seem to be the ticket from 9 am-7 pm. Anytime before 9 am, they could be in 4-10 still hunting. Same thing for after 7 pm. Finding timber with regular 2D electronics is a bit difficult. Side Imaging helps with this 100%. If I didn't have it, My world be different.

We stayed after dark a couple nights ago and set up in a cove and turned my lights on. 19 ft Green strip of LED's. Lights up the whole cove and brings in the bait fish super thick. Then the crappie come in. We didn't land any monsters, but landed tons of 9-12 inch fish. Only took about 30 mins and it was a bite of a fish every couple mins. Live minnows under a bobber 3 ft down next to the half submerged brush along the shoreline. -I would rather sleep than go out there at night. So no night trips, yet. Those start next month and will mainly be at Lake Fork.

I have been using Midnight Special Thump Buddies,

http://constantpursuitoutfitters.com/hom...p;product_id=60

We can go get a limit of sandies, then after that, go get a limit of crappie. Or just focus on one species. I'm just there to net fish.

I have not used White and Chartreuse, mainly cause I used them all a teaser jig for the Sandies. (LANE, SEND ME MORE!) They are so durable, once you glue them to the jig head, they don't break apart or tear. You just end up loosing them in the brush or on a 3+ lb crappie (or a massive sandbass). I caught over 2000 sandbass on one jig before it broke off...... -no fisherman exaggeration there.

As the sun gets up, having the jig more that 2 ft away might be to far to get a bite. You have to be very precise on putting that jig in 15-18 ft of water right next to the timber, or in the brush itself. Some single standing timber may be hard to find on the graph sometimes. Like, getting the exact pin point on where to drop a jig. Your GPS can be off 5 ft or so. so, sometimes the gps says it is right there, but it might be 5 ft to the right or left, or just somewhere not there, lol. After 2-3 passes I will move on to the next structure if I cant pin point it right away. But right now, I try to find the tree with the most stick ups or super big secret brush piles.

Todays Report: Some reports coming in, that fishing is slow. Well its not, its on fire and easy. ok, I say its easy cause I am a guide. Normally, its off due to the gates open and all. But, the fish are where they are suppose to be and they are hungry. They seem to nail it on the fall every time right now. I don't target the visible stuff. Most of that stuff has been hit 1-5 times through out the day by other anglers. I like the non visible stuff. Accuracy is very important in this game. Hit all my spots for sandies this morning, and they just were not awake yet. I bet they are going nuts right now though. we started at 630am, and at 645, I told my client, this is not going to happen today. Full moon, glass water, no bait fish activity like the last few days. Just 6-8 inch sandies eating the small fry all over the lake. I said we will keep looking though. 9 am or so, I confirmed its not happening on my end. He asked what else will eat a fly. I said "Carp, Drum, Black Bass, crappie, and even catfish in one spot...." -And, of course, what do you think he picked....lol, the hardest most temperamental freshwater fish out there. Crappie. I said no problem! Went to a Secret Submerged Timber pile and dropped a marker on it.

Caught the tail end of the structure. All the white little round circles are the crappie. Hazy pic sorry. Busted my phones camera glass. On the left is the sanding timber on the fish finder picture

I told him, to the left of the marker, is your target. The fish are 15-18 ft and precisely at that depth. ( this guy is no newbie at fly fishing) I picked out a Clouser fly, white and chartreuse, and backed the boat off about 30 feet from the target. I had him overshoot the marker by 15-20 and do a count down to 15-18 foot deep and make short strips. It was GAME ON after that. The rest is history. Killing Crappie with the fly rod, EPIC trip as usual but with a twist, lol. Crappie have never seen that, but they obviously loved it!

Every single fish my client landed engulfed the flies. Most pretty much had the fly in the back of their throat.

He was having a blast targeting those crappie. I was hoping he would hook a mag sandie to play with but just didn't happen. He was perfectly happy hooking crappie. We even left them biting.

I am completely booked solid this month except for a 4:30 PM trip on june 24th.

All weekends booked in July. I just have weekdays open here and there......I'm on the water from 6 am till 9 pm usually, so texting me is best way to get an answer.

[Linked Image]

Re: Lake Lavon Fishing Guide Report ( Updated weekly w/ pics and tips ) [Re: TarponFly] #11692458 06/28/16 12:46 AM
T
TarponFly Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
T
Wow was it good to be back to some great fishing.

Once we got to the spot, it was game on the rest of the day. Mainly Crappie. Had a 4 year old in the boat and he reeled in over 99% of the crappie today. Lost a few, lol. The little one got to put the fish in the box or let them go. Some of the big fish never made it in the box and he threw the big girls in the water giving us a heart attack! He was really funny to, Every time I would check to make sure the fish was legal on the golden ruler, he would tell me, "Its over the line, Ill put in in box." We left them biting and went in before the kid had a melt down. It gets hot out there with a vest on. Don't keep your kid out there against their will. If they want to leave, leave. Or they wont want to come back out with you. They took home around 35 Crappie or so. Black and Chartreuse Thump Buddies and minnows today. It didn't seem to matter minnow vs jig as the jig caught just as many fish. Shallow to start. 4-5 ft then merged out and followed them to 15-18 ft.

Dropped them off at the dock and my Brush Pile Seeds came in the mail. So I planted 2 of them today. I plan on catching 20 minimum at the new -secret for now- brush piles. I hope they grow up by tomorrow morning.

After that, it was dead calm and HOT. I jumped in the water a few times throughout the day after 11 am. My mission now was to find where in the heck the sandies went to. They have been hiding a bit for a couple days. I ran into a school on the surface near hybrid point and pick 3 mags out of it. But just to man dinks in the school. Most were just over 10 inches. Went over to Intake cove and joined up with PlanoKeith and caught a few mags there. But again, It was just to hot. We decided to split up and do quick looks at the spots they are usually in. Not there. I ended up at glass house as last stop and saw Keith stop in the middle of the lake and I saw his trolling motor down so I figured he was on the dinks on top. Cruised up there and they were going ballistic on top.9-12 inch fish. I got bored of every cast so I tied on a 5 inch top water spook and started burning it across the school. I would only slow it down when I saw a big fish behind it or I got a good explosion. These Mags would come up and just slam it! 15-16 inch sandies knocking my spook 2 ft in the air. Then you have Keith screaming like a kid in a free- all you can eat candy store. He got a bit quiet when he saw I was videoing., lol. It was awesome. Every time you would bring a fish to the boat there were 10-20 behind it. Lots and lots of times, I could a reached over the side of the boat and hand fed the exploding fish. They would boil right up next to the boat. The shad would try and hide around the boat. I had to pick 40-50 dry baby shad out the back of the boat and stuck to the engine. They were apparently jumping all the way out of the water trying to get away.I might be able to get a vid up. Movie maker not happy right now.

In the middle of the ciaos, I had a school of 8-10 4-6 lb blue cats under the surface swim by looking for shad. There were shad flying out of the water everywhere and sandies just crushing them for acres all around Keith and I. You would see a ball of 3 inch shad roll by the boat on the surface. they would get 20 ft from the boat and just get pounded by the fish. It was like a national geo documentary.

Then about 20 mins after the top water mags was over, the 8-12's were still going mad. Keith said he had big fish under him at 15 ft. I did too. So I counted down 15 ft with the slab and started slabbing at 15 ft deep in 35 ft of water. Then it was game on! Mag after Mag after Mag. in the 1 hour were there I bet we caught 80-100 keeper sandies. No idea how man dinks we caught.

I cant wait till tomorrow!

[Linked Image]

Re: Lake Lavon Fishing Guide Report ( Updated weekly w/ pics and tips ) [Re: TarponFly] #11692527 06/28/16 01:17 AM
F
fishenrod Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
F
Great report and pics Carey.

Page 31 of 37 1 2 29 30 31 32 33 36 37
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide