Forums59
Topics1,039,342
Posts13,963,162
Members144,199
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Dock owners irritated that you are fishing around their docks? [Re: HARD WORKN HAROLD] #11645672 06/03/16 09:56 PM
D
Douglas J Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
D
Originally Posted By: HARD WORKN HAROLD
I like it when people fish my dock. I tell em where the brush/stumps are, if it's the wrong time of day I'll usually tell'em they are wasting time. One year, I told a guy, during the spawn, where to pitch for a very large female. He was fishing a tournament, made one pitch and snagged a 9 something, watching him and that fish was priceless. I really thought the guy was going to have a heart attack. He was breathing 90 to nothing when he finally landed the fish. He laid on the deck for about a minute, got up, said he was going to weigh and would bring the fish back. RIGHT! But to my surprise about an hour and a half later, there he was, fish in tow and he released her right where he caught it. That's greatness right there.

So did he cheat if you told him the location of a fish?

#MFGA
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Dock owners irritated that you are fishing around their docks? [Re: jcarring99] #11645674 06/03/16 09:58 PM
T
toofy Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
T
Maybe I'm biased because I'm a fisherman, but I love seeing other fishing boats trolling by my dock and I enjoy talking with them. I got a place on Eagle Mountain a few months ago with a dock in the smaller cove east of the Fort Worth Boat Club point. I'm usually sitting by my fishing boat organizing things. I always tell them where in the cove I've had luck recently and on what bait. I'm installing a little fridge on the dock soon so I'll probably start offering cold beverages. cheers

Re: Dock owners irritated that you are fishing around their docks? [Re: exactawheel] #11645751 06/03/16 10:55 PM
R
RHP Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
It doesn't bother me when people fish our docks. Our deck is less than 20 feet from the water. We sit out there and watch and occasionally chat with them if they're willing. We've only had one impolite fisherman and we just chalked his attitude to the time of day and how long he'd been on the water. If they are pros, we don't bother them; they're working.

I do not like the fact that fish get removed from our area during tournaments and released elsewhere but until tourneys go with technology like MLF, it is what it is.

Re: Dock owners irritated that you are fishing around their docks? [Re: exactawheel] #11645933 06/04/16 12:48 AM
C
ctapp Offline
Angler
Angler
C
If someone fishing from a dock I just pass an move on to tha nxt thts just respect it's kinda like fishing a brush pile and a dude pull right up on ya

Pro staff//
Guns n Clubs
GAMBLER Lures
Duckett fishing
Re: Dock owners irritated that you are fishing around their docks? [Re: DAN-O] #11646240 06/04/16 03:12 AM
H
Hittmanfish Offline
Angler
Angler
H
Originally Posted By: DAN-O
One dock owner on Lake Arlington that has rope tied around his dock's pilings to keep anyone from casting under his dock...he has a few trees suspended on ropes, and tries to block it off from any boater access. He tries to run people off all the time.

Only other dock owner I have been confronted by was on Lake Fork during the middle of a thunderstorm. They has a bass boat and a pontoon boat suspended by lifts up high in their stalls. We simply went up under the pontoon to get out of the lightning as I had my wife and daughter with me. A lady started yelling something at their house and here comes a guy on an ATV hauling tail down to their dock to run us off in the middle of the storm. I simply told him we were just trying to get out of the weather for a bit until it clears. He didn't care. He wanted us to leave, so we did. I could see it if we just went there for no reason, but when a storm pops up on you, I don't like being a lightning rod when you don't have to be.

I've caught a few nice fish under the dock on Lake Arlington you're referring to... he can't stop us all!

Madison Hitt
Re: Dock owners irritated that you are fishing around their docks? [Re: RHP] #11646306 06/04/16 04:03 AM
D
David Burton Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
D
Originally Posted By: RHP
It doesn't bother me when people fish our docks. Our deck is less than 20 feet from the water. We sit out there and watch and occasionally chat with them if they're willing. We've only had one impolite fisherman and we just chalked his attitude to the time of day and how long he'd been on the water. If they are pros, we don't bother them; they're working.

I do not like the fact that fish get removed from our area during tournaments and released elsewhere but until tourneys go with technology like MLF, it is what it is.

Don't feel too bad about the fish relocations. They usually make their way back, or if it is good structure/cover, they are replaced with others.

David Burton
2015 Skeeter FX 21 +Ultrex +Helix 12 (x3) +Mega360 +MegaLive
Re: Dock owners irritated that you are fishing around their docks? [Re: exactawheel] #11646341 06/04/16 04:27 AM
J
J.P. Greeson Online Content
the janitor
Online Content
the janitor
J
Originally Posted By: exactawheel
I was on Cedar Creek last Sunday and it was almost dark. My two sons(ages 12 and 14) and I were out fishing. We were flipping around the boat docks when we came up to a dock with an older man fishing off the walkway. I was between two docks and circling to head back around his dock when I see a lure almost hit me and landed 2 feet in front of my boat. I thought he just made a bad cast and I said to him that it was okay. He then told me that I shouldn't be fishing there because I was scaring the fish. I told him I wasn't scaring them anymore than he was. I headed for the end of his dock to go around and he began to walk toward where we were fishing. He opened a cabinet and turned on his stereo full volume and then continued to cast near our boat. He did this the entire perimeter of his dock. I told him if he hits me or one of my kids I would put this shaky head right upside his head. This is not the first dock owner I have encountered that thought they own the water around their docks but this was definitely the most aggressive. Especially with me having two kids in the boat with me. Has anyone else ever had any issues with dock owners before?

Most of us have had this happen once in our fishing career.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure this is the crotchety old dock owner syndrome. Guy fishing a dock is no different than guy fishing the bank. You have the whole lake to fish. Why are you fishing casting distance from a man on a dock? Give him his space to fish. Fish his dock another time when he isn't fishing.

People are always talking about the boat that blew in and fished right on top of them. People don't like another boat fishing casting distance from them. What's the difference here? Does a dock owner fishing his own dock deserve less respect than a boater?

The solution to any problem - work, love, money, whatever - is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

[Linked Image]
Re: Dock owners irritated that you are fishing around their docks? [Re: exactawheel] #11646354 06/04/16 04:41 AM
P
patriot07 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
P
I've never run into a mad dock owner. Heard about them plenty of times. I can't imagine leaving one because an owner didn't want me around. Seems like doing that would just empower them to continue the antics.

If someone was fishing when I pulled up, I usually strike up a conversation and stick the rod on the deck while I take the trolling motor around the dock. Just as disrespectful to encroach a bank fisherman as a boat fisherman. I'll strike up a conversation with anybody who's close enough to hear me though!

Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.
- Soren Kierkegaard
Re: Dock owners irritated that you are fishing around their docks? [Re: exactawheel] #11646380 06/04/16 05:50 AM
F
Fishinkev Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
It's definately a 2 way street. I bank fish alot. For 5 yrs in the 90's I worked in grapevine and would fish grapevine alot. Same place 3-4 evenings a wk. Every tues and thurs the France brothers would come in to fish the drop off I was sitting on and they would just go around me respectfully and say hi and ask if I'd caught any. Then I found out on about wk 2 or 3 they were fishing a tournament. So the next Tuesday they came in and I said hey matt, yall come fish this if yall want, I know it's a good spot and yall are in a tournement. It led to a very respectful appreciation of each other and honestly eventually we would all just fish it after a few wks without ever getting in there way. I reaped rewards from it too. Those guys where good sticks out there aND they would tell me some spots and baits that were working and we all just got along. One time I remember I caught a 7 lber right after they moved on didn't have a scale, Matt let me use his and took a pic for me after making sure I was gonna let her go (I don't keep bass). The next week he told me I would've won big bass with that one. The point of this story is to have respect for boaters when bank fishing and they will respect u and vise versa. Matt France and his brother where good dudes, Man I had some good evenings out there.

I dont fish for a living but i LIVE TO FISH!

Kevin

PB Largemouth Bass 12lb 2oz
PB Crappie. 3.01lb
PB Striper 23lb
PB Hybrid 7.02lb
Pb buffalo 49.4lb
Pb carp 26.14
Pb flathead 57lb

Re: Dock owners irritated that you are fishing around their docks? [Re: exactawheel] #11646735 06/04/16 02:18 PM
F
Fork-LegendV21 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
I live on Fork and just had a dock built... I don't mind people fishing around it but it can make me nervous due to the potential of thieves... I keep everything locked up but if people want in bad enough, it's hard to stop them. So I will go down to dock just to let them know I'm around

Re: Dock owners irritated that you are fishing around their docks? [Re: exactawheel] #11646763 06/04/16 02:38 PM
361V Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
I don't usually fish docks but when I do....I prefer Dos Equis XX. Makes dealing with irate dock owners easier!

Re: Dock owners irritated that you are fishing around their docks? [Re: Fishinkev] #11646816 06/04/16 03:11 PM
J
J.P. Greeson Online Content
the janitor
Online Content
the janitor
J
Originally Posted By: Fishinkev
It's definately a 2 way street. I bank fish alot. For 5 yrs in the 90's I worked in grapevine and would fish grapevine alot. Same place 3-4 evenings a wk. Every tues and thurs the France brothers would come in to fish the drop off I was sitting on and they would just go around me respectfully and say hi and ask if I'd caught any. Then I found out on about wk 2 or 3 they were fishing a tournament. So the next Tuesday they came in and I said hey matt, yall come fish this if yall want, I know it's a good spot and yall are in a tournement. It led to a very respectful appreciation of each other and honestly eventually we would all just fish it after a few wks without ever getting in there way. I reaped rewards from it too. Those guys where good sticks out there aND they would tell me some spots and baits that were working and we all just got along. One time I remember I caught a 7 lber right after they moved on didn't have a scale, Matt let me use his and took a pic for me after making sure I was gonna let her go (I don't keep bass). The next week he told me I would've won big bass with that one. The point of this story is to have respect for boaters when bank fishing and they will respect u and vise versa. Matt France and his brother where good dudes, Man I had some good evenings out there.

That's because the France brothers are cool.

The solution to any problem - work, love, money, whatever - is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

[Linked Image]
Re: Dock owners irritated that you are fishing around their docks? [Re: J.P. Greeson] #11646902 06/04/16 03:55 PM
dafanman Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Fork-Legend211 : PM Sent

ComputerWerkz, Windows PC diagnostics and repair
Remote access available.

Robert Abel
210 426-4474

Special Flat rate for TFF&THF Members
Re: Dock owners irritated that you are fishing around their docks? [Re: exactawheel] #11647261 06/04/16 09:06 PM
B
beartrap Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
B
got a dock fishing story with a happy ending...several years ago was fishing a redman tourney on Sinclair(Ga.)..was flipping docks and came up on one with couple little boys bream fishing off it..one was probably 6 years old and other one couple years older........did the usual "catching anything" greeting and both of them started telling me about a giant catfish had pulled it out of the holder and swam off the night before with the older boys brand new rod and reel....we told them we were sorry and continued fishing down the bank...probably about two docks down,I saw a bobber at edge of a boat house with no rods on nearby docks...just on a hunch,I snagged the bobber with my rod tip and pulled the bobber to the boat and pulled on the line....no giant catfish but there was a brand new rod and push button reel....I turned around and headed back where the boys were on the dock....as I got with within earshot I told them I had found a rod and reel that I might sell cheap...the older boy asked how much and I replied probably a dollar would be enough....older boy tell the younger one to run up to the house and get a "dollar from Daddy"...and younger started to the house and I told him to hold on a minute til they saw the rod because it might not be worth a dollar....I can you,it was worth a hundred dollars to see the look on their faces when they saw the rod lying on my deck and both of them trying to tell me that was the rod the catfish had swam away with...I told them that if that was their rod,I just couldn't charge them anything......and it was worth another hundred dollars to have seen them running up to the cabin hollering out to their Dad they had got their rod back.......

Re: Dock owners irritated that you are fishing around their docks? [Re: exactawheel] #11647316 06/04/16 09:49 PM
P
Preacher Ed Offline
Angler
Angler
P
Great story Beartrap. Are you the same Beartrap from the Home Page? (I suspect you are...lol)

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide