Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Skeeter vs Legend [Re: JC Skeeter] #11578268 05/02/16 05:19 PM
J
jhall239 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
Love my Skeeter but since they aren't building I class anymore...
If I were looking for another it would be between Skeeter, Legend and I'll toss in Phoenix as well
I'm lucky enough I suppose to have a dealer for all three reasonably close

Skeeter 20-I 250 HPDI
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Skeeter vs Legend [Re: JC Skeeter] #11578271 05/02/16 05:19 PM
C
Chris G Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
I have a Legend and am about to buy a new V20. I've been in several SKeeters and they are also great boats. In fact it's hard to go wrong with any of the "top end" boats. They all have things about them that can be viewed as both good and not so good. For me, I would make my decision based on the dealer I was going to buy it from. They will be the first point of contact on future service, potential warranty issues, etc. That is HUGE factor for me and another reason I am most likely always going to be in a Legend.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Skeeter vs Legend [Re: jhall239] #11578277 05/02/16 05:21 PM
fouzman Offline
Methuselah
Methuselah
Originally Posted By: jhall239
Love my Skeeter but since they aren't building I class anymore...
If I were looking for another it would be between Skeeter, Legend and I'll toss in Phoenix as well
I'm lucky enough I suppose to have a dealer for all three reasonably close

Sure they are. It's called the FXi. FX cap on a iClass hull. But they may have only built them in 2015.

"Things turn out best for those who make the best of the way things turn out" - Zachary Troy Schrah - a young man with vision far beyond his years.
Re: Skeeter vs Legend [Re: JC Skeeter] #11578330 05/02/16 05:36 PM
T
Txduckhunter Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
I own a legend and my nephew runs a skeeter so I've spent plenty of time in both of the boats in question.
I think Legend has better fit and finish by far. Ride goes to Legend.
My Legend fishes good, his Skeeter fishes great.
Speed is pretty close, neither one are in the class of a Cat but they'll both push 70+. Irony is that neither of us push our boats that hard anymore.
Storage space is relative. Both of us try to cull gear every year. How much [censored] do we really need to carry? I think his Bug wins this but barely.
You need to run them and make your own decision. Either way, you can't go wrong.

Re: Skeeter vs Legend [Re: JC Skeeter] #11578334 05/02/16 05:37 PM
D
Douglas J Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
D
FXi 21

#MFGA
Re: Skeeter vs Legend [Re: JC Skeeter] #11578395 05/02/16 05:51 PM
B
bassmanrudy Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
I've ridden in plenty of both as a co. Legends have the better/smoother ride. Top end speeds all depend on how much they wanted to push em but have seen 70+ on both. The Skeeter seemed to have a better double console design(if your boat will have one).

If you can pick whichever you want then(like mentioned above) I'd take a good look at the customer service people at the dealer. Are they friendly, knowledgeable, can you see reviews for them online, etc.

Re: Skeeter vs Legend [Re: JC Skeeter] #11578408 05/02/16 05:57 PM
J
JMac-D Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
If I had to chose between the 2, it would be Legend, but it wouldn't be MY first choice.

Re: Skeeter vs Legend [Re: JC Skeeter] #11578416 05/02/16 05:58 PM
CB2011 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
If I were you I would pick the legend. Especially since there's a brand new certificate in the boats for sale section at a pretty good discount and is upgradable if you want a larger boat

Re: Skeeter vs Legend [Re: Huckleberry] #11578429 05/02/16 06:01 PM
JC Skeeter Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: Huckleberry
Neither

Ok, I appreciate your reply as well as others. I also respect all opinions given here in this forum and that is why I am taking the time to ask, on top of the research I have done online on my own.

Can you, or the others who have said neither, please give me more info as to why?

Re: Skeeter vs Legend [Re: Txduckhunter] #11578446 05/02/16 06:05 PM
JC Skeeter Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: Txduckhunter
I own a legend and my nephew runs a skeeter so I've spent plenty of time in both of the boats in question.
I think Legend has better fit and finish by far. Ride goes to Legend.
My Legend fishes good, his Skeeter fishes great.
Speed is pretty close, neither one are in the class of a Cat but they'll both push 70+. Irony is that neither of us push our boats that hard anymore.
Storage space is relative. Both of us try to cull gear every year. How much [censored] do we really need to carry? I think his Bug wins this but barely.
You need to run them and make your own decision. Either way, you can't go wrong.

Thank you a ton for the info and time you took to respond. I have ridden in a handful of each, but never drove either. I plan on doing that if I can before making a decision.

As for speed, anything between 65-70 is more than fine.

One thing I notice when looking online is that the Legends, such as the V20 and V21, have items listed such as a small dry storage at the front of the boat, and usb ports in multiple places. Do you possibly know if the Skeeter FX21 offers anything like that. Minor details, but would be good to know.

Re: Skeeter vs Legend [Re: JC Skeeter] #11578450 05/02/16 06:05 PM
B
bbexotics Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Neither,Gamblermy choice

13.66 sharelunker #341,14.59, PB from,"FORK"
Re: Skeeter vs Legend [Re: JC Skeeter] #11578500 05/02/16 06:22 PM
JC Skeeter Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Tons of great info, I really appreciate all of the reply's. In the end I will be making a choice that is best for me, but it never hurts to get others opinions.

I have rode in almost all boats, with the exception of a Phoenix. I will say that to date the fastest boat has been a Bass Cat, but as I said above, 65-70 is plenty and I assume most "top end" boats will do that. Most top end boats are all very nice boats as well.

I just simply have narrowed it down to the 2 that I like so far. I do like the Legend will let you customize the colors though. But I would also be getting the Black & Green limited edition Skeeter which has a nice color combo too.

I guess I am down to minor details such as customer service, little extras or gadgets that each boat has, etc.

Re: Skeeter vs Legend [Re: JC Skeeter] #11578537 05/02/16 06:46 PM
M
mitchmoore01 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
I favor the skeeter, the decks on them are wider and the boat is a little more stable. The skeeter seems to be a better fishing platform. Speed is relatively similar, but most skeeters are around a mph slower than the legend.

Re: Skeeter vs Legend [Re: JC Skeeter] #11578538 05/02/16 06:47 PM
B
bigbass94 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
Speaking for a 2013 Skeeter ZX20:

The number one thing I love about Skeeter's is that they are very "rookie friendly" and easy to drive. What I mean by that is, if you've never driven a bass boat and don't know about performance hulls and motor trim and all that stuff, then I suggest you learn how to drive with a Skeeter. They are perhaps one of the easiest boats to maneuver and drive at WOT. I have never dealt with any chine walking or porpoising and it's very responsive. Now, the majority of that has to do with your motor setup, jack plate, prop and trim. But it does have something to do with the style of boat. I like to compare the drive and handling of a Skeeter to a Lexus or BMW; easy to drive, plenty of power, luxurious, efficient and comfortable. You can say the same thing for Legend's and Ranger's as well. Whereas I compare such companies as BassCat, Bullet, or even a Triton, to a Camaro or Corvette; power, needs a little bit of drive time, but in the end, everything works out.

Note: Legends fall in to the category of easy to drive, plenty of power, efficient, and comfortable.

I love the storage on a Skeeter, the layout is unmatched, and when the trolling motor is down, there is arguably nothing comparable to it. I also like how the boat is roomy. I'm 6'3", 319 pounds and I feel very comfortable in my boat. Everything on a Skeeter is luxurious, user friendly and efficient. While these boats are user friendly and efficient, they offer plenty of power to make you feel a thrill. Myself alone, 1/2 tank of gas, empty live wells, and 2 Power Poles, I can hit 73.2MPH. Keep in mind that I'm also 319 pounds. The boat drafts relatively shallow, and it doesn't get blown around in the wind too bad.

Speaking for only the ZX20, the negative things are minimal but noticeable. The cooler isn't the best on the market, the hidden latches are an absolute pain for big hands and bad angles (you can't really open them from a sideways angle), and the ride isn't the greatest. Those are honestly the only negatives I can think about.

If I always have a Skeeter dealer around me, I won't ever switch.

There are guys that love Skeeter's and guys that hate Skeeter's, I for one love them.

As for Yamaha, I like em'. If not broke in properly they'll have a lot of problems (make sure you break it in properly!!!), it's easy to talk to your partner at speeds up to 40MPH, and they're very good at hole shots and torque with heavy loads. Pretty good gas mileage and they're very reliable as long as you break them in properly.

As for Legends, I've heard good things and bad things. First off, I don't know if there are any differences between a 2010 and 2016 other than appearances. So keep in mind that the newer Alpha's may have fixed a few of these things.

The number one good thing I hear about them is that they have a great ride; and they do, my buddy has a 2010 Alpha 199. The number one bad thing I've heard about them is that they have had problems with build quality. Several boats have had problems with the stringers.

Speaking purely for the 2010 Alpha 199. Pros: I love the ride, how easy it is to put it on the trailer, and the interior features. The ride on the Alpha series of boats is easily as good as a Champion! The control that this boat has at idle and low speeds is amazing. The interior is very classy and luxurious.

However, there are a few things that I don't like about the Alpha 199; keep in mind that if you get the Alpha 211R, there's virtually no difference in design and layout from the Alpha 199. Basically, the only difference is the length of the boat and there's a small storage compartment towards the bow of the boat.

The few things that I don't like on the Alpha boats are: seats (super uncomfortable and have horrible support), the width of the boat is fairly narrow and when the trolling motor is down, you're gonna be wishing you had a Skeeter. The rear storage compartments are somewhat small, they've had problems with the stringers in the past, slower top end, and if you're a big guy, the console area is slightly crowded.

There are things that I love and dislike about both boats. But in the end I love my Skeeter.

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." - Doug Larson
Re: Skeeter vs Legend [Re: JC Skeeter] #11578561 05/02/16 06:56 PM
buda13 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Both are GREAT boats, the only issue I have with Legend is how much "side to side" movement there is when fishing. The fishing platform on the Skeeter is as stable as it gets, I can stand next to the gunnel and it will hardly move... do that in a Legend and watch the whole boat lean that way, especially if both angler on the front and back are standing on the same side. If your not a big guy its probably not as big of a deal, honestly you cant go wrong with either boat.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide