Forums59
Topics1,039,324
Posts13,962,847
Members144,199
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Guy finds a fish barrel full of fish with culling tags on them [Re: Aquiles] #11545928 04/16/16 04:32 AM
P
Preacher Ed Offline
Angler
Angler
P
Originally Posted By: Aquiles
Want there a story a few years back about a guy catching a line that had a bass tied off to a limb it was later identified in a contest . Turned out the guy was hiding the fish then coming back later in the contest and "catching it ".

I'm sure it has happened in more than one event, but I believe this is what happened here on the Red River in a BASS event a few years ago. The LA WLF marked the bass and met him at the weigh-in if I recall correctly. If I am off on this, I apologize. My memory is not what it once was!

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Guy finds a fish barrel full of fish with culling tags on them [Re: Mark Perry] #11545948 04/16/16 05:14 AM
A
anthonyhicks101 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
A
Originally Posted By: Mark Perry
Originally Posted By: Clark3
https://www.facebook.com/TobyLillardProfessionalAngler/videos/1221390547893792/

Facebook video of a guy fishing up a creek, finds a plastic barrel just below the surface full of fish with culling tags on them. How often do you think it happens in these small local tournaments?

I know 4 years ago a guy was caught on Bridgeport in a tournament I was in, guy always won there and someone took a video of him pulling fish out of a basket. Funny thing was multiple people accused him of it and were shunned for being "sore losers" then finally someone followed him. Sad deal people have to do this.

Who was this guy on Bridgeport and what tournaments was he winning out there?

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\.....This please.

Originally Posted By: OK, Waco
anthonyhicks101 for president! Greatness right there.

Re: Guy finds a fish barrel full of fish with culling tags on them [Re: anthonyhicks101] #11545960 04/16/16 06:03 AM
Clark3 Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: anthonyhicks101

Facebook video of a guy fishing up a creek, finds a plastic barrel just below the surface full of fish with culling tags on them. How often do you think it happens in these small local tournaments?

I know 4 years ago a guy was caught on Bridgeport in a tournament I was in, guy always won there and someone took a video of him pulling fish out of a basket. Funny thing was multiple people accused him of it and were shunned for being "sore losers" then finally someone followed him. Sad deal people have to do this.

i don't remember his name, it was the only fishing tournamnet I've ever fished there and the guy apparently won a bunch of working man tournaments out there. That's just what some of the guys were talking about after it happened the director for the Oklahoma bass club that hosted the tournament informed everyone of the information that was shown to him and the individual was banned.

[Linked Image]
Re: Guy finds a fish barrel full of fish with culling tags on them [Re: Clark3] #11545961 04/16/16 06:07 AM
D
Douglas J Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
D
Originally Posted By: anthonyhicks101

i don't remember his name, it was the only fishing tournamnet I've ever fished there and the guy apparently won a bunch of working man tournaments out there. That's just what some of the guys were talking about after it happened the director for the Oklahoma bass club that hosted the tournament informed everyone of the information that was shown to him and the individual was banned.

What year, what bass club?

#MFGA
Re: Guy finds a fish barrel full of fish with culling tags on them [Re: Aquiles] #11545966 04/16/16 06:51 AM
P
papamark Offline
Mini Tractor
Mini Tractor
P
Originally Posted By: Aquiles
Want there a story a few years back about a guy catching a line that had a bass tied off to a limb it was later identified in a contest . Turned out the guy was hiding the fish then coming back later in the contest and "catching it ".

This is true, he had them tied up with mono and was fishing a jig on Braid He would cast to the fish, feel the jig to the fishes mouth set the hook, which would break the braid, and the jig would be in the fish's mouth. He got caught by his Co-Angler. Saw what was going on and turned him in.

Re: Guy finds a fish barrel full of fish with culling tags on them [Re: Douglas J] #11545967 04/16/16 06:55 AM
Clark3 Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
It was 2011 I'm almost positive I can try to text the guy I fished with as he fished there a lot to see if he remembers the guy. On the club I have no clue it was an open tournament they had there. They also had one at graham the next month if anyone remembers the club

[Linked Image]
Re: Guy finds a fish barrel full of fish with culling tags on them [Re: Clark3] #11545996 04/16/16 10:50 AM
RedRanger Offline
burro desagradable
burro desagradable
I never said it was texas. Just asked your opinions on how often you think it happens here

It probably happens here more than we would like to admit

Re: Guy finds a fish barrel full of fish with culling tags on them [Re: Douglas J] #11546231 04/16/16 02:53 PM
F
fish4bass Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
F
Originally Posted By: Doug R.
I never said it was texas. Just asked your opinions on how often you think it happens here

I am sure it happens some.

If you choose to fish tournaments and focus on things like this you'll never be successful. The only way to totally avoid a cheater is not enter.

Sad truth

Which is why I don't fish tourneys. No thanks. Not donating my hard earned money to a scumbag.

And I know who "Jeff" is.
Re: Guy finds a fish barrel full of fish with culling tags on them [Re: fish4bass] #11546608 04/16/16 07:35 PM
D
Douglas J Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
D
Originally Posted By: fish4bass
Originally Posted By: Doug R.

I am sure it happens some.

If you choose to fish tournaments and focus on things like this you'll never be successful. The only way to totally avoid a cheater is not enter.

Sad truth

Which is why I don't fish tourneys. No thanks. Not donating my hard earned money to a scumbag.

frkazoid

#MFGA
Re: Guy finds a fish barrel full of fish with culling tags on them [Re: Clark3] #11546647 04/16/16 08:05 PM
S
Stickchunker Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
S
I know 2 guys that have been caught and pretty much Black Balled from fishing tournaments on Conroe, one of these fella's was a pretty good friend of mine that i duck hunted with, i would've never thought he would do something like that, he was always by the letter when we duck hunted, but i guess sometimes you never really know people.

Re: Guy finds a fish barrel full of fish with culling tags on them [Re: Clark3] #11546803 04/16/16 09:45 PM
J
JoshMan734 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
I guess I'm to naive of a angler! If I've way to much faith to the human race!

#LFG #TeamDobyns
Re: Guy finds a fish barrel full of fish with culling tags on them [Re: Stickchunker] #11546831 04/16/16 10:02 PM
B
BassnJAK Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
guess that duck hunting didn't pay as well as the Bass Tournaments.

Money always reveals character realmad

Do something every day that makes you happy.
Fishing tops my list... Whooop - There it is! 😎

Re: Guy finds a fish barrel full of fish with culling tags on them [Re: Brent S] #11547075 04/17/16 12:29 AM
361V Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Brent S
Originally Posted By: Brandon Adamcik
Used to find em at Lake Arlington.

Really?
Ya, trash cans and barrels are not rare on Arlington!

Re: Guy finds a fish barrel full of fish with culling tags on them [Re: Clark3] #11547344 04/17/16 02:28 AM
P
patriot07 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
P
Lots of folks live by the car racing saying of "if you ain't cheating, you ain't trying". I believe it happens way too much for me to ever enter a serious fishing tournament. I work too hard for my money to give it away to someone who isn't fishing honestly. Or even if everyone is fishing honest, I work too hard for my money to give it away to someone who spends their whole life fishing. I'd rather avoid that scene altogether and enjoy my time on the lake sometimes catching, sometimes not, and not worrying too much about which one it is at the moment.

Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.
- Soren Kierkegaard
Re: Guy finds a fish barrel full of fish with culling tags on them [Re: Clark3] #11547379 04/17/16 02:43 AM
C
crankbait1973 Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
C
when Honey hole stopped having tournaments in the late 90s (I think). A new trail opened up for North Central TX. I dont remember what it was called. I was young and dumb at the time but when I look back on it now I feel like something fishy was going on.

They had this deal called a "calcutta" I have never seen anything like it before or after. We all showed up for a pre tournament meeting and you paid your entry fee like normal. Then they held an auction where you could bet additional money on another angler or yourself to win. So they would call out Team #1. That team would normally bid 50 bucks on themselves. But the entire room had a chance to bid on that team to have them for themselves. This was paid out as a side pot. So the theory was that if you had a bad practice you could bid on a real stick to have as your "Calcutta team". I could be wrong but I think it was winner take all. So all the money that was bid was paid out to the Team who owned the winning "Calcutta team."

Now from my point of view it just meant that you had to come up with another entry fee because how bad would you feel if you didnt pick yourself and you actually won? So when our team came up for auction we would yell out 50 bucks and then the guys running the tournament would start to urge the other guys to not let us get away with a $50 bid. So someone would bid $60 until they messed with your pride enough to fork over another 100 bucks to own your own team!

Well here is where it got fishy. Our first tournament was on Bridgeport. A team came up for bid and they threw out the normal $50 bucks on themselves. The tournament director and his friends actually started bidding on the team themselves! From my recolection the guys running the trail were from Amarillo or something like that. They acted like they knew this team was going to smash em and they wanted a piece of it! They bid these poor guys up to nearly 500 bucks. I remember thinking how crappy this was for the team who had to pay 150 entry fee and another 500 just for prides sake.
Well the next day that team weighed in an 11 lbr and they won the derby

I cant prove anything and I dont know who the team was or even the name of the trail or anything. I was too young to realize that something strange was going on. But the locals were mad as hell. Nobody seemed to know this "Stick team". I was so oblivious at the time that I walked up to the winners and told them congrats and what a nice fish they caught on Bridgeport which at the time was stingy on 4 lb fish. They just looked at me....didnt even say thanks or anything.

Sorry for the long post. Ive never told anyone about this whole deal. The trail was one season and done. We never heard anything about the trail again. Maybe one of you guys remember this deal and maybe correct some of my mistakes remembering the details

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide