Forums59
Topics1,039,617
Posts13,967,641
Members144,210
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: We lost a good fisherman last Friday [Re: Lake Fork Guide- James Caldemeyer] #4517308 02/21/10 02:45 AM
dallasfisherman1 Offline
Angler
Angler
Prayers sent

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: We lost a good fisherman last Friday [Re: Lake Fork Guide- James Caldemeyer] #4517436 02/21/10 03:09 AM
Alpha199 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
prayers sent

Re: We lost a good fisherman last Friday [Re: Lake Fork Guide- James Caldemeyer] #4517479 02/21/10 03:15 AM
S
Steven L. Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
prayers sent for friends and family

Re: We lost a good fisherman last Friday [Re: Steven L.] #4517566 02/21/10 03:38 AM
ghostlight Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
prayers sent

Don't be afraid of the light it is just me looking for a place to fish.
Re: We lost a good fisherman last Friday [Re: JPeel] #4658357 03/26/10 01:55 PM
B
bjthomas66 Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
B
I'm Mike's wife. A family friend just told me he found this notice, and, as you might imagine, I was thrilled to see it! He loved Texas... the fishing, of course, but also the lifetime friends he made while he was there. We missed him when he was away, but the winters in Missouri were so hard on him. It is for sure he died doing what he loved. That is some comfort to us. But we miss him terribly! We were married 40 years, and although his health was declining, I was hoping for many more. Your prayers and warm wishes mean the world to us!! Thank you and God bless you all.

PS Mike made a promise to me 3 or 4 years ago that he would always wear his life vest. As heartbreaking as his death was, believe me, it would have been so much worse to hear that he had drowned without it! Do your loved ones a favor--wear yours!

Re: We lost a good fisherman last Friday [Re: bjthomas66] #4658370 03/26/10 01:58 PM
B
bjthomas66 Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
B
I'm Mike's wife. A family friend just told me he found this notice, and, as you might imagine, I was thrilled to see it! He loved Texas... the fishing, of course, but also the lifetime friends he made while he was there. We missed him when he was away, but the winters in Missouri were so hard on him. It is for sure he died doing what he loved. That is some comfort to us. But we miss him terribly! We were married 40 years, and although his health was declining, I was hoping for many more. Your prayers and warm wishes mean the world to us!! Thank you and God bless you all.

PS Mike made a promise to me 3 or 4 years ago that he would always wear his life vest. As heartbreaking as his death was, believe me, it would have been so much worse to hear that he had drowned without it! Do your loved ones a favor--wear yours!

Re: We lost a good fisherman last Friday [Re: Lake Fork Guide- James Caldemeyer] #4658502 03/26/10 02:23 PM
W
water_surge Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
W
RIP

We All Live Down Stream
dance2
Re: We lost a good fisherman last Friday [Re: water_surge] #4658548 03/26/10 02:31 PM
T
Texangator Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
Prayers sent.

Re: We lost a good fisherman last Friday [Re: JPeel] #11516527 04/01/16 08:49 PM
J
JoshuaCrouch Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
J
I've meant to post here for a couple of years- I didn't realize Mike had gone on before us until 2014. I'd tried to get in touch with him, and found this post.

Me and a friend who worked together took our vacations at the same time in February 2008. It was cold- some freezing rain... a little sleet... so what did we do? We went to the smallest State Park anyone had ever seen to fish, and get away. And who did we run in to... but this incredible MAN (and I don't use that term lightly), Mike Thomas. It was a wintry February, so there was literally no one else staying in the park except the three of us. We got to know Mike fairly well during those 3 weeks (he was the Park Host for several months). I learned about Mike's life, His faith in Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior, some of what he felt like sharing during his time serving in MULTIPLE combat tours over MANY decades. If I remember correctly, he was a 2-time Purple Heart recipient. I remember the first time we realized anyone else was in the park... we were coming up to the pier at night, and there was his truck, with that license plate. My buddy and me both looked at each other... 2-time Purple Heart tags. Neither one of use were small guys, but I think that made BOTH of us a little nervous! Ha.

At any rate... I grew up fishing in East Texas- mainly catfish. I had never bass fished in my life. With temps hovering at (and sometimes under) freezing, with sporadic sleet and freezing rain, Mike taught me (and my buddy) how to fish. After a guided trip to Walmart for "real" fishing equipment... wink With that Carolina rig and a chartreuse watermelon lizard... we learned to fish under a master. I was privileged to share that time on that dock for 3 weeks with such a man. To hear his stories, to realize that... as the saying goes... they DON'T make 'em like that, anymore.

The morning me and my buddy were scheduled to leave, me and Mike (completely unplanned) exchanged scraps of paper. We had each written something for the other, not realizing the other was doing the same. I have treasured that typed letter (he had his laptop and a laser printer in his camp trailer!). Honestly- I don't think I needed what he wrote to me at the time. Or... maybe it's better to say, I wasn't ready for it. But since then, over the years (8 now) I've realized hundreds of times just how important, and on point, his words were for my life. Not for some specific moment, or event- but for my entire life. Somehow (shouldn't surprise anyone) God gave this willing servant exactly the right words for me- that would apply more than anything else I've ever read to my entire life. Like the Old Testament prophets, I don't know if Mike KNEW how applicable his words were, typed with military precision and compactness, to my life- much less the lasting (growing) impact they would have

Mike had shared with me how, in that season of his life, God has basically called him to FISH! We talked about that a few times out there on that fishing dock (and once over lunch, that me and my buddy INTENDED to treat him to... our honor, for a veteran and such a good man- but of course... in the end... he tricked us- and he paid). wink God called him to fish in that season of his life- just like Jesus had called several of the first disciples to be "fishers of men". Mike would fish... and God would send him all kinds. Veterans, just like him, needing to be ministered to. Young guys, just like me, with the weight of the world on their shoulders. All kinds, God sent his way... all needing to be ministered to- and Mike was that willing servant, saying "Here am I- send me."

Barbara, if you happen to read this, I'd intended to try to get in touch with you several times over the last few years, and was never successful. If you'd like, I would love to talk to you on the phone about those 3 weeks. I keep the typed message he wrote to me in the frame that once held the certificate of license when I surrendered to the ministry. Honestly... I think his letter holds more meaning, and power, for my life than any certificate ever could. Hardly a day passes that I don't read his words, now hanging on the wall. I scanned the letter and have it in pdf and jpg formats... and my intention is to share it here (assuming it will let me). If not... I'll type the words. Others should read them- I'm sure they'll be just as powerful for others as they have been, and will be for me- for the rest of my life.

I thank God for Mike Thomas, and the short time span God honored me to share that nighttime fishing dock with him for those 3 weeks. Mike is still an example for so many of us, even those of us who just "happened" to cross his path on a fishing bank or pier, of what it means to be a man.

One last story... and I'll hush. wink One night we were out on the pier, and I believe he rec'd a txt on his phone. His face lit up. I can't remember which it was.... but his son had either just received news that he'd graduated law school, or passed the bar exam- can't remember which it was. But you could tell... in his quiet, subdued way... Mike was extremely happy, bursting with pride for his son's accomplishment. He immediately made a call... I think either to his wife (Barbara) or his son- I'm not sure which. It was, again, an honor for me to glimpse that moment of pride that Mike the father had for his son. I apologize to everyone for such a long post... but as you can tell, he made a mark on me. wink I pray my experience with this man will bless yall. Barbara- if you happen to read this... please email me? I will send you a private message with my email address. I would love to talk with you!

Last edited by JoshuaCrouch; 04/01/16 09:36 PM.
Re: We lost a good fisherman last Friday [Re: JPeel] #11516536 04/01/16 08:53 PM
J
JoshuaCrouch Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
J
This is a jpg I captured from the scanned letter. In what I can only assume was Mike's military precision style of writing... he pinpointed with uncanny detail the major variable of my life- the thing that could either be my greatest strength, or my greatest weakness, if I didn't guard against the enemy's exploitation of my vulnerability. I treasure these words. I pray they have meaning for others as well. The date line was cut off when I captured this image- it reads February 23, 2008.

Last edited by JoshuaCrouch; 04/01/16 08:55 PM.
Re: We lost a good fisherman last Friday [Re: JPeel] #11516539 04/01/16 08:56 PM
B
Black Bass Blake Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
B
Sad to hear, prayers sent

"A parent is only as good as they're dumbest child. If one wins the Nobel Peace Prize, but the other gets robbed by a hooker you failed"
Re: We lost a good fisherman last Friday [Re: JPeel] #11516584 04/01/16 09:16 PM
fouzman Offline
Methuselah
Methuselah
Darn it, Mr. Peel. That's two good fishing buddies you've lost over the past few years. Mr. Thomas obviously touched many lives. Wish I had been one of them. Your friendship with him sounds like a blessing for both of you. You and his loved ones have my heartfelt sympathy. May He provide comfort and healing acceptance for you and Mr. Thomas' family, both immediate and extended. angel2

"Things turn out best for those who make the best of the way things turn out" - Zachary Troy Schrah - a young man with vision far beyond his years.
Re: We lost a good fisherman last Friday [Re: K.D.] #11516608 04/01/16 09:29 PM
C
CCTX Online Content
mapquest
Online Content
mapquest
C
Originally Posted By: K.D.
Prayers for his family and maybe they can find solace knowing he passed away doing something he obviously loved. Nice tribute to your friend.

angel2

[Linked Image]
Re: We lost a good fisherman last Friday [Re: JPeel] #11516966 04/02/16 01:00 AM
R
Rube G. Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
PRAYERS FOR THE FAMILY.

Re: We lost a good fisherman last Friday [Re: JoshuaCrouch] #11517323 04/02/16 04:21 AM
banker-always fishing Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Beautiful write up JoshuaCrouch. The Good Lord needed yet another fisherman. angel2

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide