Forums59
Topics1,039,357
Posts13,963,333
Members144,201
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: Has anyone ever fished with a Guide and didn't catch fish? [Re: ChrisPowellFishing] #11513825 03/31/16 04:28 PM
J
jbobo Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
J
I would imagine most guides on Fork, or any other lake, are good guides (teachers), who want their clients to have a great day on the water. I'm sure most of them realize their business depends on their performance each day. Even if no fish are caught, their attitude and willingness to instruct the clients has to be number one.
It would help any of us who are thinking of hiring them, to know where they stand on this subject. If they are willing to work something out after a bad day, that would bring them more business and make potential clients more likely to hire or recommend them to someone else.
I personally have told my clients to just give me $50. to $100. to cover my fuel, etc. when we had a bad day. If my schedule allows it, I have also given the option to fish another day if they prefer.

Guides are just like everyone else in that they do have bad days. I have had to mentally make myself be positive on the way to the lake a few times, knowing the fishing is probably not going to be all that great. Knowing this, I try to do all in my power to find fish and persuade them to bite. At least letting my clients know several techniques and areas where I have caught fish in the past.
With the way our lakes have been flooding for the last year or so, my fish catching ratio has been way down compared to previous years. Several trips I have zeroed out and get really discouraged. Luckily, we have several lakes to choose from, and can usually find a spot to catch a few.

22 ft. Wellcraft Deep V CC
817-220-2312
www.bobosthumper.com
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Has anyone ever fished with a Guide and didn't catch fish? [Re: ChrisPowellFishing] #11513831 03/31/16 04:30 PM
airforcefishin Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
I have been with a few different lake fork guides and every trip out I try to keep something in mind. My goal with a guide is to learn. I spend the entire day asking as many questions as possible. I have had not so great days of fishing and still feel like I got more than my moneys worth.

Re: Has anyone ever fished with a Guide and didn't catch fish? [Re: fouzman] #11513846 03/31/16 04:34 PM
Ken A. Online Content
Groovy
Online Content
Groovy
Originally Posted By: fouzman
Originally Posted By: jbobo
My first guide trip was on Fork years ago. I hired a very popular guide thinking my buddy and I would have a great day. The guide fished the front from 11 o'clock position to 2 o'clock position. I was only able to cast past him 2 times. He told us to throw white spinner baits at the shoreline 25 ft. away. He caught fish after fish directly in front of the boat on a chartreuse spinner bait in 12 ft. of water.
All that was ok, until he started putting my buddy and I down for not catching any fish. That continued for the rest of the full day trip. I paid him but didn't tip. Never called him again. He is still there "guiding".

I think I fished with that guide. Once in 1987. And he was two hours late, to boot. Took us to the back of Wolf. Had the nose of the boat out of the timber where he could cast up on a flat by a couple bushes. He kept most of the boat in the woods so we couldn't cast to the flat. He proceeded to catch about a dozen solid fish on a spinnerbait, while we watched for an hour. I know several other folks who had similar experiences with this "guide". He's still at Fork but I honestly don't know how he's stayed in business.

I'll bet every dollar in my pocket I know who it is too!! When you said Two Hours late, that nailed it!!

Re: Has anyone ever fished with a Guide and didn't catch fish? [Re: Ken A.] #11513917 03/31/16 05:16 PM
B
bassmanrudy Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Originally Posted By: Ken A.
Originally Posted By: fouzman
[quote=jbobo]My first guide trip was on Fork years ago. I hired a very popular guide thinking my buddy and I would have a great day. The guide fished the front from 11 o'clock position to 2 o'clock position. I was only able to cast past him 2 times. He told us to throw white spinner baits at the shoreline 25 ft. away. He caught fish after fish directly in front of the boat on a chartreuse spinner bait in 12 ft. of water.
All that was ok, until he started putting my buddy and I down for not catching any fish. That continued for the rest of the full day trip. I paid him but didn't tip. Never called him again. He is still there "guiding".

I think I fished with that guide. Once in 1987. And he was two hours late, to boot. Took us to the back of Wolf. Had the nose of the boat out of the timber where he could cast up on a flat by a couple bushes. He kept most of the boat in the woods so we couldn't cast to the flat. He proceeded to catch about a dozen solid fish on a spinnerbait, while we watched for an hour. I know several other folks who had similar experiences with this "guide". He's still at Fork but I honestly don't know how he's stayed in business.

I'll bet every dollar in my pocket I know who it is too!! When you said Two Hours late, that nailed it!!

Do you mind PM'ing me his name please?? I would HATE to book a guy who everyone has said does this kind of nonsense! Or heck just post his name on here and maybe we shall find out if he even cares to counter the statements made... I've paid to fish Fork once (Skeeter Fowler) and had a Great time wouldn't want to have a bad one!

Re: Has anyone ever fished with a Guide and didn't catch fish? [Re: ChrisPowellFishing] #11514001 03/31/16 06:01 PM
I
IowaBassMan Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
I
Only once have I fished with a guide without catching fish. It was on Guntersville back in the early 90's. He refunded everything but his expenses($50). He said if he could not get a client on fish he would not take any more than that. He had made this clear before we started.

Re: Has anyone ever fished with a Guide and didn't catch fish? [Re: ChrisPowellFishing] #11514041 03/31/16 06:21 PM
J
J.P. Greeson Online Content
the janitor
Online Content
the janitor
J
There's nothing worse than a guide who thinks your trip is his fishing time.

The solution to any problem - work, love, money, whatever - is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

[Linked Image]
Re: Has anyone ever fished with a Guide and didn't catch fish? [Re: ChrisPowellFishing] #11514060 03/31/16 06:28 PM
P
Phototex Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
P
I only used a Fork guide once, and although it was pre-spawn, it was cold and rained all day. He caught two slot fish, but I didn't boat a fish until 4:30 p.m. I called the day right after that. Goodness knows, he tried. Certainly not the guide's fault.

PB: 10-01 on a Ribbit frog
Re: Has anyone ever fished with a Guide and didn't catch fish? [Re: ChrisPowellFishing] #11514237 03/31/16 07:44 PM
InTheClear Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
How about the opposite.....after 80 fish a day on Sugar Lake I was ready to go back to the hotel, had enough of them because it was 116 degrees and I had NO skin on both of my fingers!

Last edited by InTheClear; 03/31/16 07:50 PM.
Re: Has anyone ever fished with a Guide and didn't catch fish? [Re: InTheClear] #11514334 03/31/16 08:34 PM
J
jbobo Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
J
Originally Posted By: InTheClear
How about the opposite.....after 80 fish a day on Sugar Lake I was ready to go back to the hotel, had enough of them because it was 116 degrees and I had NO skin on both of my fingers!

I've been in that boat also, just praying the clients would get tired and want to go. I got busted one day in the jewels by a rod butt, then 2 hrs. later a 2 oz. egg sinker busted my lower lip all the way through while landing a huge hybrid. Blood pouring all over myself and the boat until I could get it in the livewell and hook rebaited. Hands cut up by gill plates and fins. 110 degrees most of the day. I was crying mama.
But it feels good when you take them back to shore with monster grins and full icechests.

22 ft. Wellcraft Deep V CC
817-220-2312
www.bobosthumper.com
Re: Has anyone ever fished with a Guide and didn't catch fish? [Re: jbobo] #11514789 04/01/16 12:54 AM
InTheClear Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: jbobo
Originally Posted By: InTheClear

I've been in that boat also, just praying the clients would get tired and want to go. I got busted one day in the jewels by a rod butt, then 2 hrs. later a 2 oz. egg sinker busted my lower lip all the way through while landing a huge hybrid. Blood pouring all over myself and the boat until I could get it in the livewell and hook rebaited. Hands cut up by gill plates and fins. 110 degrees most of the day. I was crying mama.
But it feels good when you take them back to shore with monster grins and full icechests.

I was the client and completely dumfounded by Sugar Lake, you will not find another 40,000 ac lake on the planet better than that one if you go with the right man!

Re: Has anyone ever fished with a Guide and didn't catch fish? [Re: GrassProShop Jim] #11514965 04/01/16 01:52 AM
R
Richard McCarty Offline
Angler
Angler
R
Originally Posted By: GrassProShop Jim
I know it's a slippery slope in this conversation, but since many of the experiences have come off of Fork, I'm wondering if any of the Fork guides are going to weigh in on this discussion......pun intended!! bolt

Most Fork guides really want their customers to catch fish.
Put yourself in our shoes before you condemn us.
If we are booked for 10,15,20 days in a row, we can't rely on our clients to figure out, and show us where fish are.
Keep in mind, that patterns and conditions change.
We have to fish some, and explore.
In doing this, yes, we are going to catch some fish, and occasionally, one of these fish is going to be a big one, that the client would've liked to catch.
I can understand the frustration when this happens.
I may be one of the guides that has had dissatisfied customers, but on the other hand, sometimes our customers are incapable of catching the fish we put in front of them.
Sometimes we have to assure our customers that fish are there, and we've revealed to them the right lure and technique, but they simply can't grasp it.
90% of our customers are great, and gracious, ....... but there is that other 10%.
This whole "bad guide" thing goes both ways.
Fishing is tough, and putting others on fish is even tougher.
Some guides are better "people" persons than others, but the guides that aren't great "people" persons are still good guides.

Re: Has anyone ever fished with a Guide and didn't catch fish? [Re: ChrisPowellFishing] #11515007 04/01/16 02:04 AM
03svtsnakevert Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
I was one of the many who wasted money and time on fishing with a guide on Fork. Waste of time and I could have done much better myself but I figured prespawn time on a lake I've never been on might be a good idea to hire someone. Won't make that mistake again. Spent 350 bucks for all day and caught one fish about an hour after starting fishing. Didn't really instruct or work to change anything we were doing. Save your money guys and go out on your own. I will never hire a "guide" again. The only thing that was guided was the money out of my pockets.

Re: Has anyone ever fished with a Guide and didn't catch fish? [Re: ChrisPowellFishing] #11515011 04/01/16 02:05 AM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Going on my first semi guided trip in Canada in June. Gonna be fun. I'm a hard headed, stubborn angler. I will likely want to go out everyday by myself after the initial day. Gonna spend a week in a private lake with 7 others. That's 8 anglers TOTAL on the lake. First week of fishing season. Supposedly, I will get tired of catching 40+ inch pike in about an hour. Don't know "abooooot" that. Lol. I'm gonn wear em out!

This trip is a birthday present. It is $5000(sounds retarded to me) for the whole thing, 6 different plane tickets included. I told my mom I'd rather have a new set of power poles or some gear....but, she said no....I'm going to Canada with my step dad and his sons!!! Hahah.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Has anyone ever fished with a Guide and didn't catch fish? [Re: ChrisPowellFishing] #11515092 04/01/16 02:38 AM
R
RHP Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
Yes, once on Choke Canyon and once on Toledo Bend but the weather blew us out on TB. Not the guide's fault.

Re: Has anyone ever fished with a Guide and didn't catch fish? [Re: ChrisPowellFishing] #11515145 04/01/16 02:57 AM
B
Big Kev Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
I actually prefer the fishing to be tough when I am out with a guide. I have been a couple of times and zeroed. I went back a week later running same pattern and had one of the best trips of my life. You tend to learn more (If you have a good one) because they will be working the buts off trying to put you on fish and will expose you to some things they would not normally have to resort to. Fishing is fishing and when the bite is tough, it is what it is. Pay them and tip as well if you felt like you learned some thing. Heck I fished the Pro Bass Class on TB last year and the bite was off, a few here and a few there. Learned an incredible amount of information from those guys and felt a lot better about my fishing skills after. If the elite guys struggle from time to time then I do not feel bad at all. It has taken my fishing game to a completely different level. But that is all subjective.

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide