Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Yellow Bullheads in my pond [Re: GoldenEye] #11787263 08/20/16 12:07 PM
F
Fishbreeder Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
Nice pictures, research or personal? I find the box used as a fish holder in the background interesting with the "UP" arrows on it. I have many very similar.

An albino channel catfish like the one in the pic, if true albino will have the red eyes very visible in the photo. There are some "white" color phase individuals that are not albino and have black eyes. I once managed a hatchery producing over 35 million catfish fish each spring, we saw a lot of weird ones.

As far as I can remember I don't think I ever saw a gin-u-wine white bullhead in person, now on my bucket list. A legal species in Texas, maybe I can buy some somewhere.

Back behind the Pine Curtain, after having dang near every customer that saw an albino catfish in with the rest say "I for sure want THAT one in my box..." I took some albinos and bred them together, got 100% albinos, a whole pond full, forty thousand of them. I's gonna sell 'em for a buck a throw, a high price back then when we got fifteen cents for a regular channel cat.

Raised 'em up and had a while tank full of 'em ready to cash in big time. Customer after customer would come in, take a look in the tank full of albinos and say, "What's wrong with them in there?" Took me forever mixing them in as much as I could with the black ones to get rid of them.

Back to bullheads, the biggest ones I catch by far and away are always yellow bullheads in good bass fisheries with surface water supplies.

Re: Yellow Bullheads in my pond [Re: JRR] #11787330 08/20/16 01:14 PM
D
Dave Davidson Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
D
I have always considered white colored cats as albinos. I stand corrected due to my ignorance of the white bullheads as a separate type of fish.

Re: Yellow Bullheads in my pond [Re: Dave Davidson] #11787673 08/20/16 05:05 PM
F
Fishbreeder Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
Being neither of us ever saw anything but an albino channel catfish, we should get a break, you should anyway. I oughta know better.....

Re: Yellow Bullheads in my pond [Re: Fishbreeder] #11794970 08/24/16 09:07 PM
G
GoldenEye Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
G
Originally Posted By: Fishbreeder
Nice pictures, research or personal? I find the box used as a fish holder in the background interesting with the "UP" arrows on it. I have many very similar.

An albino channel catfish like the one in the pic, if true albino will have the red eyes very visible in the photo. There are some "white" color phase individuals that are not albino and have black eyes. I once managed a hatchery producing over 35 million catfish fish each spring, we saw a lot of weird ones.

As far as I can remember I don't think I ever saw a gin-u-wine white bullhead in person, now on my bucket list. A legal species in Texas, maybe I can buy some somewhere.

Back behind the Pine Curtain, after having dang near every customer that saw an albino catfish in with the rest say "I for sure want THAT one in my box..." I took some albinos and bred them together, got 100% albinos, a whole pond full, forty thousand of them. I's gonna sell 'em for a buck a throw, a high price back then when we got fifteen cents for a regular channel cat.

Raised 'em up and had a while tank full of 'em ready to cash in big time. Customer after customer would come in, take a look in the tank full of albinos and say, "What's wrong with them in there?" Took me forever mixing them in as much as I could with the black ones to get rid of them.

Back to bullheads, the biggest ones I catch by far and away are always yellow bullheads in good bass fisheries with surface water supplies.

Just sharing years of accumulated wisdom and foolishness? Years ago on a small scale I bred and wholesaled tropical fish. I learned a few things about fish genetics along the way. I Bred for color, color patterns, conformity, fertility,and productivity.

Yep, the albino's have the red eyes. The white color phase with the normal colored eyes are leucistic. Albinism being a condition in which there is an absence of melanin, which gives color to the skin. Leucism, on the other hand, is just a partial loss of pigmentation, which can make the fish have white or patchily(spotted)colored skin. Usually when breeding albino's to albino's they're either completely sterile(pigmentation effecting fertility in some way), or you get only albino's as offspring. Breed an albino to a normal pigmented individual and you get approxmately 50% Albino and 50% normally pigmented fry, with all of them being heterozygous(carrying the recessive Albino gene).

I became acquainted with those White Catfish when I would go visit my brother stationed in the military in Jacksonville Florida. When I would go to Florida we would go Bass fishing in the ponds and canals in the area as well as the St. Johns River. Several times we wound up catching more White Bullhead's than Bass off of plastic worms, inline spinner baits, and crank baits. They were a lot of fun to catch. I even caught one that went 7Lbs.

Being a Bullhead, White Catfish are probably not a going to be offered on a fish list as a standard item like Bass, Bluegills, and Channel Catfish? Check with fish farms on the east coast as well as those in California. The White Bullhead Catfish was heavily stocked in California before the turn of the 20th century. From what I understand the Channel Catfish and White Catfish are the two most common catfish found in the state.

I Caught alot of nice-size Yellow Bullheads in Florida. Those Yellow Bullheads are tasty critters. Better than Channel Catfish IMO. The locals in Florida refer to Yellow Bullhead Catfish as "Butter Cats" or "Margarines." A very popular fish as tablefare in Florida!

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide