Forums59
Topics1,039,371
Posts13,963,498
Members144,202
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Anyone ever fished flw tour as a co? [Re: SteezMacQueen] #11505978 03/28/16 04:03 PM
M. Alexander Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: SteezMacQueen
Originally Posted By: JacksonBean
Originally Posted By: Danny L. Weems
Be prepared to break off if you get hung up much.

Great info from Danny and he brought up a great point. Many, not all, of these guys have done A TON of preparation for that event so they have laser like focus. You are an after thought and silly me in the back of the boat...... "Oh! I got a bite!" meaning "Can you stop and let me recast really quick to that spot again?"

Ain't happening. roflmao

If you get hung up.... Tough luck. Once I got a brush pile while he was power polled down bed fishing and I pulled the boat a few inches forward in trying to break off and I was not-so-politely told NOT to do that. hammer

I have only fished with one pro with an attitude like that. He even wanted to know where I caught em in practice and then back boated me when we went there. His name was Murry. An a hole from Baton Rouge. Rest of the guys I fished with, Bertrand, Lee, Biffle, Christie, and a bad [censored] from OK named Jay were all really cool. Bertrand was the nicest. The guy would tell me as we were cranking the banks "throw over my head and shoulders if ya want to...just don't set a hook in my forehead". Lol. He even gave me some whopper ploppers that Ish Monroe custom made for him to use. So I would have the same bait he was having success with.

Maybe it's the luck of the draw. I've been really lucky and every one of them invited me to hang with them after the day a drink beers and eat bbq. Biffle even came back to our hotel with me and my link to play poker.

This is Bassmaster tour guys. Many play both series.

I dunno.

You are right about getting hung up though. I was too intimidated to tell em I was hung up. I'd set the hook into a stump hard enough to break off and act excited. Lol "dam....that was a big one......"

Looks like we shared a few of the same draws last year Steez... Christie and Lee were both great to fish with, as was Preuett. Was the bad arse from OK you're referring to Brainard? He was my roomie last year for all the Centrals. Dude can catch 'em. Pretty impressive to qualify for the Elites his first year in the Opens. It was pretty awesome to watch his journey.

Mark
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Anyone ever fished flw tour as a co? [Re: JacksonBean] #11506038 03/28/16 04:27 PM
B
bobcat4118 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Originally Posted By: Happykamper
I have fished 8 of those type tournaments, not one time did I feel like I drew a " Pro " all of them were very nice, I drew one kid from Iowa and he was throwing an A rig on a spinning reel with a rod that I would use to drop shot with, funniest thing I ever seen.

And this was the FLW Tour? OMG

LOL!!! I bet daddy is footing this bill roflmao

Re: Anyone ever fished flw tour as a co? [Re: BigBassJake] #11506243 03/28/16 05:45 PM
TBassYates Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Too bad the old Anglers Choice Pro Am tournaments aren't around anymore. I fished them as a co and drew some great guys. Gary Yamamoto, Lendell Martin Jr, Jeff Reynolds, Jerry Dolzeal, Richard Draper, Bill Hudspeth, Johnny Grice, Raul Morneau and quite a few others. About the only bad draw I got was from a guy who drove to Cedar Creek to fish and he was from Alabama. He fished one corner of the bridge right in front of Sunny Glen for about 4 hours and the went to the other corner across the lake for the remainder of the day. It was torture but I did manage two fish that added to my Saturday catch got me a small check for the tournament so it wasn't too bad. I guess I used the experience for nothing more than trying to get knowledge from other anglers instead of actually competing so it turned out pretty good most of the time. I even made the championship and my first day on Lake Waco fishing with Bill Hudspeth up the river was one of my favorite all time days of fishing. That guy was a blast to be with.

[Linked Image]
Re: Anyone ever fished flw tour as a co? [Re: M. Alexander] #11506356 03/28/16 06:30 PM
S
SteezMacQueen Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted By: M. Alexander aka deuce41
Originally Posted By: SteezMacQueen
Originally Posted By: Danny L. Weems
Be prepared to break off if you get hung up much.

Great info from Danny and he brought up a great point. Many, not all, of these guys have done A TON of preparation for that event so they have laser like focus. You are an after thought and silly me in the back of the boat...... "Oh! I got a bite!" meaning "Can you stop and let me recast really quick to that spot again?"

Ain't happening. roflmao

If you get hung up.... Tough luck. Once I got a brush pile while he was power polled down bed fishing and I pulled the boat a few inches forward in trying to break off and I was not-so-politely told NOT to do that. hammer

I have only fished with one pro with an attitude like that. He even wanted to know where I caught em in practice and then back boated me when we went there. His name was Murry. An a hole from Baton Rouge. Rest of the guys I fished with, Bertrand, Lee, Biffle, Christie, and a bad [censored] from OK named Jay were all really cool. Bertrand was the nicest. The guy would tell me as we were cranking the banks "throw over my head and shoulders if ya want to...just don't set a hook in my forehead". Lol. He even gave me some whopper ploppers that Ish Monroe custom made for him to use. So I would have the same bait he was having success with.

Maybe it's the luck of the draw. I've been really lucky and every one of them invited me to hang with them after the day a drink beers and eat bbq. Biffle even came back to our hotel with me and my link to play poker.

This is Bassmaster tour guys. Many play both series.

I dunno.

You are right about getting hung up though. I was too intimidated to tell em I was hung up. I'd set the hook into a stump hard enough to break off and act excited. Lol "dam....that was a big one......"

Looks like we shared a few of the same draws last year Steez... Christie and Lee were both great to fish with, as was Preuett. Was the bad arse from OK you're referring to Brainard? He was my roomie last year for all the Centrals. Dude can catch 'em. Pretty impressive to qualify for the Elites his first year in the Opens. It was pretty awesome to watch his journey.

YES!!! Very cool dude. And one hell of a stick.

Hana. Brett Pruett was my roommate. He qualified for the Elites also. He got the very last spot. Pretty good for a dude with a disiability with one eye. He was a minor league catcher in another life. Lol. Took a fastball to his eye. So STARTED fishing. Lol

He, I believe, won the collegiate BASS division and was sponsored by ULM last season. Man that dude can eat.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Anyone ever fished flw tour as a co? [Re: BigBassJake] #11506443 03/28/16 07:03 PM
Hole Shot Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Originally Posted By: BigBassJake
I'm really thinking about doing it and was wondering if anyone had any advice or horror stories. I'm not talking about full-time just a tourney or two.

BBJ,

Jump in and fish one. I went down to the Big O this year and drew an FLW Cup Winner and a Classic winner. Both were very nice and fished different patterns. 1st day it was easy for me to catch em in the hayfields, the second day we fished head grass which was a lot harder to get a quality cast in.

I did it for several reason. I got to see some friends that fish the FLW, had a pro I know take me out for two days of practice and the lake was on my bucket list. You need to look at the whole picture not just the 2 days you fish the tourney. If you are looking at just tournament days you could be disappointed. I myself had a great time on the water day 1 and day 2 however I was ready to get back on the front deck of my boat after that. All in all I was glad I did it. Hope that helps.

Re: Anyone ever fished flw tour as a co? [Re: JacksonBean] #11507470 03/29/16 02:33 AM
Happykamper Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: Happykamper
I have fished 8 of those type tournaments, not one time did I feel like I drew a " Pro " all of them were very nice, I drew one kid from Iowa and he was throwing an A rig on a spinning reel with a rod that I would use to drop shot with, funniest thing I ever seen.

And this was the FLW Tour? OMG

B A S S Central Open on Lewisville, he also was running a Triton 21X boat with a 250 XS racing motor on it, we made a run to the dam in 20 plus MPH winds out of the north, he aired it out, I just knew we were going down, he had no idea how to drive that boat, I finally told him I knew a spot, we ended up fishing there for the rest of the day, did not catch much but it was a lot safer. woot

[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide