Forums59
Topics1,039,593
Posts13,967,208
Members144,208
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: 3 of 5 Sharalunkers with broken bottom jaws [Re: Kay Dyson] #11496631 03/23/16 09:57 PM
R
RedEar12 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
Originally Posted By: RedSkeeter
If you think about it, either the big fish aren't being caught or turned over to the TP&W. So it looks kind of bad for the 2016 spring fling share a lunker program.. Isn't it over in April, I know they have extended it a few times. But man, where are the SAL's ??? looks bad for the whole state imo... Might just be an off year, but it seems to decline a little every year..jm2c's

+1 Mother Nature rules, the genetics are there, lack of cover and poor water quality hurt many, many lakes. TPWD is not the end all, be all, for bass fishing.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: 3 of 5 Sharalunkers with broken bottom jaws [Re: Kidde] #11496800 03/23/16 11:05 PM
G
grout-scout Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
G
Originally Posted By: Kidde
I keep hearing people talk about how Lakefork the majority of this and the majority of that but that lake isn't kicking out any bigger fish than any other lake.

Must need more crappie fisherman to catch the big ones.

Re: 3 of 5 Sharalunkers with broken bottom jaws [Re: adam_p] #11496806 03/23/16 11:07 PM
T
txmasterpo Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
T
Originally Posted By: adam_p
Originally Posted By: Texascajun69
I can't believe a Lake Fork guide would openly criticize a program that is the reason for his living. Lake Fork didn't happen by accident. With out the Share-a-Lunker program and the funding from many major corporations that paid for the pure Strain Flordia bass that started the program; Lake Fork would be nothing but another Lewisville. Go ahead, kill the program and in 10 yrs. let me know how many 10 lbs. are going to be coming out of Fork, Palestine or anywhere else. I don't think it is an accident the number of Share-a-Lunker bass caught each year is declining at exactly the same rate as the program funding. Don't be nave enough to believe the pure strain bass who become the biggest fish get into the lakes by themselves. They have a finite life, when they are gone, the size of the bass will start to diminish. And just FYI any lake or private lake could request to have Fingerlings from the state hatchery put in their waters.

The fish that started share lunker came from Fork so how can you say that Fork is what it is because of sharelunker?

TPWD puts 500,000 fry in Fork every year and those are not sharelunker fry. That is why fork is fork.

No [censored].....check the stocking history.... They won't stop stocking because SAL goes away, that is ignorant...... That's almost as silly as saying some old pro winning a fishing tournament was comparable to Nickolas' last Masters Championship frkazoid .....sorry Mr Fouz, JK!

http://www.trccovers.com

"I am large, I contain multitudes."

Walt Whitman
Re: 3 of 5 Sharalunkers with broken bottom jaws [Re: Thad Rains] #11496815 03/23/16 11:09 PM
L
Lake Fork Guide Marc Mitchell Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
L
The program has not done anything IMO for Lake Fork but take out all our genetics. Here is the deal.How many fish in the Texas top 50 are from SAL program off spring ?
Not even 1 percent my guess.

The Fish that made Fork Famous were bought $$$ as pure Florida Strain. NOT fish from a SAL program !

Second thing is this What lake has produced the most SAL. Fork ! Ok now you take lets say 10 fish from Fork over 13 lbs. Lets say in one year which I think it did back in the days. Now lets say they have 10,000,000 off spring.

One million per fish ? Their numbers are not that high but using this as a example. No matter how many fish Fork puts in the program or how many fry the program has from those fish Lake Fork will only get back 500,000 to 692,250 even if the Lake Fork entries produced 10 million a year.

Now you call that even ! Nope.So we lost 9.5 million that should have stayed in Lake Fork not spread all over TX. TP&W will only stock for 25 fish per acre for Lake Fork. Now we have water turkeys,white bass eating up all the fry and even if the 1 percent survive we are going backwards in the stocking program due to preditor threat alone.

Back 35 years ago there was not many white bass and water turkeys like there is today. Now back to the program. If you keep dipping into your genetic pool sooner or later you will have nothing to dip into.

If you had a Trophy Ranch and were raising 200 class deer would you loan them to all the other ranchers in TX ? Not if you are smart. Keep your genetics to your self and keep producing giants.

I know enough about the program that there is no way I would put a fish in it nor would I recommend my customer to do so. They have had 30 years to make Fork better and I can tell you it is not better because of the program but much worse and the numbers dont lie.

Let nature run its course and it will be better if man dont mess with it. All the fish that died from the start of the program to now should not have had to die for the glory of a fisherman or for a program that dont work for the better of a Trophy Lake or World Class Fisheries. IMO

One last thing if this was such a great program then why are California and Florida not doing it ? Or other states. They produce bigger fish than we do ! It is cause they do not mess with it other than limits.

Re: 3 of 5 Sharalunkers with broken bottom jaws [Re: Thad Rains] #11496817 03/23/16 11:09 PM
G
grout-scout Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
G
Wasn't the whole point of Sharealunker to break the world record? Or was "operation world record" a different program? Either way, we are no closer to that happening; but hey, the experts say "it's all paid for by Toyota".

Re: 3 of 5 Sharalunkers with broken bottom jaws [Re: Thad Rains] #11496846 03/23/16 11:21 PM
L
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
L
Yes it was to increase our chances at the World Record or a DREAM anyhow ! If Toyota was not funding it I do not think the TP&W would waist their money on it. Good Tax write off for Toyota. IMO

Re: 3 of 5 Sharalunkers with broken bottom jaws [Re: Lake Fork Guide Marc Mitchell] #11496862 03/23/16 11:32 PM
Chris B Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Way to stand up for your opinion Marc. I agree with every thing you said. There is not proof that SAL has helped the lake one bit. But there is proof that many giant bass have been removed or killed. It would be great if Lake Fork could start a program like Toledo Bend does with its lunkers. There have been 13 pounders turned into the Toledo program that weren't given to SAL this year and I don't blame them. I personally think the program has run its course.

[Linked Image]
Re: 3 of 5 Sharalunkers with broken bottom jaws [Re: Thad Rains] #11496870 03/23/16 11:35 PM
W
WillieKetchum Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
W
There's been 3 certified over 13 this year on Toledo. One of those was over 14lbs. People just aren't turning them in.

There was also a 13 caught on Rayburn during practice for the Platinum that was released.

Re: 3 of 5 Sharalunkers with broken bottom jaws [Re: Thad Rains] #11496879 03/23/16 11:38 PM
L
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
L
Congrats to the anglers for not turning them into the program. Let the fish live and breed in its home lake with the male that she chooses not picked by some man ! LOL

Last edited by Lake Fork Guide Marc Mitchell; 03/23/16 11:41 PM.
Re: 3 of 5 Sharalunkers with broken bottom jaws [Re: Lake Fork Guide Marc Mitchell] #11496906 03/23/16 11:49 PM
F
Fishspanker Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
F
Originally Posted By: Lake Fork Guide Marc Mitchell
The program has not done anything IMO for Lake Fork but take out all our genetics. Here is the deal.How many fish in the Texas top 50 are from SAL program off spring ?
Not even 1 percent my guess.

The Fish that made Fork Famous were bought $$$ as pure Florida Strain. NOT fish from a SAL program !

Second thing is this What lake has produced the most SAL. Fork ! Ok now you take lets say 10 fish from Fork over 13 lbs. Lets say in one year which I think it did back in the days. Now lets say they have 10,000,000 off spring.

One million per fish ? Their numbers are not that high but using this as a example. No matter how many fish Fork puts in the program or how many fry the program has from those fish Lake Fork will only get back 500,000 to 692,250 even if the Lake Fork entries produced 10 million a year.

Now you call that even ! Nope.So we lost 9.5 million that should have stayed in Lake Fork not spread all over TX. TP&W will only stock for 25 fish per acre for Lake Fork. Now we have water turkeys,white bass eating up all the fry and even if the 1 percent survive we are going backwards in the stocking program due to preditor threat alone.

Back 35 years ago there was not many white bass and water turkeys like there is today. Now back to the program. If you keep dipping into your genetic pool sooner or later you will have nothing to dip into.

If you had a Trophy Ranch and were raising 200 class deer would you loan them to all the other ranchers in TX ? Not if you are smart. Keep your genetics to your self and keep producing giants.

I know enough about the program that there is no way I would put a fish in it nor would I recommend my customer to do so. They have had 30 years to make Fork better and I can tell you it is not better because of the program but much worse and the numbers dont lie.

Let nature run its course and it will be better if man dont mess with it. All the fish that died from the start of the program to now should not have had to die for the glory of a fisherman or for a program that dont work for the better of a Trophy Lake or World Class Fisheries. IMO

One last thing if this was such a great program then why are California and Florida not doing it ? Or other states. They produce bigger fish than we do ! It is cause they do not mess with it other than limits.

You don't take in account that Fork received far more than its share of funding that came from statewide sources. The stocking levels eclipse many other real solid bass lakes in the state. Yet they shouldn't share their genetics?

The Sheep who only fears the Wolf is eaten by the Shepherd.
Re: 3 of 5 Sharalunkers with broken bottom jaws [Re: Thad Rains] #11496956 03/24/16 12:16 AM
921 Phoenix Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
I am not sure we can really know what numbers of fingerling would have live or died if all of the sal's would have stayed in lake Fork. I think some of the other lakes have some better fish because of it. I think the lack of grass and sandbass have taken its toll on Fork more then the Sal program, just look at the number of small bass being caught on Fork after just one good year of spawn. I wonder what the lake would look like right now if we would have had the last number of years with grass and good spawns. Every year we have big bass dyeing off due to old age and we haven't had spawns to replace. Lakes have cycles and Fork has gone through a long one that has hurt the lake. I don't really know if the Sal program has help or hurt the lake but the lack of grass has defiantly hurt the lake. The spawns just can not live if we have no where for the fingerlings to hide to live. I can not believe without the grass even if we still had all of those sal back it really would have helped Lake Fork. I do believe if any of those Sal fingerlings made it to other lakes with grass that they did make it.

just my .02

Re: 3 of 5 Sharalunkers with broken bottom jaws [Re: Thad Rains] #11496974 03/24/16 12:28 AM
D
Deep Donkey Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
Thad, have you ever thought that the jaw could have been broken of the hook set?

Re: 3 of 5 Sharalunkers with broken bottom jaws [Re: Thad Rains] #11496982 03/24/16 12:33 AM
P
pil,b Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
P
Let some one pick up up by your lower jaw. hammer

Re: 3 of 5 Sharalunkers with broken bottom jaws [Re: adam_p] #11497019 03/24/16 12:44 AM
S
soonersorlaters Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
Originally Posted By: adam_p
Originally Posted By: Texascajun69
I can't believe a Lake Fork guide would openly criticize a program that is the reason for his living. Lake Fork didn't happen by accident. With out the Share-a-Lunker program and the funding from many major corporations that paid for the pure Strain Flordia bass that started the program; Lake Fork would be nothing but another Lewisville. Go ahead, kill the program and in 10 yrs. let me know how many 10 lbs. are going to be coming out of Fork, Palestine or anywhere else. I don't think it is an accident the number of Share-a-Lunker bass caught each year is declining at exactly the same rate as the program funding. Don't be nave enough to believe the pure strain bass who become the biggest fish get into the lakes by themselves. They have a finite life, when they are gone, the size of the bass will start to diminish. And just FYI any lake or private lake could request to have Fingerlings from the state hatchery put in their waters.

The fish that started share lunker came from Fork so how can you say that Fork is what it is because of sharelunker?

TPWD puts 500,000 fry in Fork every year and those are not sharelunker fry. That is why fork is fork.

Fork does stock Share Lunker as well, albeit not at the rate they stock Florida strains. They have done so since 2006, sans 2007 and 2015.

Sharelunker stockings sans 2007/2015 average 10,408.

Avg Florida's stocked from 1995-2015 is 584,511 per year. There were stockings every year during this timeline.

2015 = 317,924 The lowest during that time sans 2001 when they stocked 218,240.

Who knows what actually caused the decline in SAL entries from Fork, assuming the same percentage of qualifying fish have been recorded since it started?
[list]
[*]Has the lake declined in nutrient value? [*]How about the sand bass that were not initially introduced to the lake? [*]Are there more bass in Fork than the forage population can support to grow them? [*]What about the slot? Should it be changed now? [*]Who knows what percent of legal fish are retained and not released?

Re: 3 of 5 Sharalunkers with broken bottom jaws [Re: Thad Rains] #11497080 03/24/16 12:59 AM
C
Chuck72 Offline
Angler
Angler
C
Wow.. Surprised at the number of people that Bash SAL and TPWD in general. I fished Florida for 8 years in the 90's and early 2000's. Stick Marsh, Kissimmee, walk in water, Toho, Big O, Seminole, tarpon, hydrilla lake, and Texas in general has them beat. Texas took Florida strain bass and turned 80% (or better) of its waters into world class fisheries, and do it better than Florida does IMHO. I have caught more over 10 in Texas in 3 years than I caught in Florida in 8. Florida has the 4-8 pound class locked up, but monster bass live in Texas (or Cali).

You guys have a world class fishery and some of you moan and complain about the very organization that put it on the map.

Some of you are ungrateful and spoiled. Go try to scratch out a living guiding in Kansas and let me know how that suits you.

-----------�----------------------------------------
2017 Bass Cat Eyra 250 Yamaha SHO
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide