Forums59
Topics1,039,391
Posts13,963,811
Members144,202
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Tournament Etiquette - should I have said something? [Re: metalruch1] #11490815 03/21/16 02:53 PM
J
Jpurdue Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
J
I do exactly what I was planning to do. If that means I wind up on top of them in 30 seconds so be it. I stay cordial though, which often drives home the message better than saying something. I've calmed down quite a bit as I get older. When I was younger I may have fired up the big motor and done a couple laps around them with the peddle down.

"Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley." -A.L.

www.LunkerLore.com

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Tournament Etiquette - should I have said something? [Re: metalruch1] #11490819 03/21/16 02:56 PM
Dan90210 ☮ Online Embarrased
Jr Deputy Dan
Online Embarrased
Jr Deputy Dan
How was the fishing out there?

Lets talk about fishing on Lville.

I was out there Sat. morning and caught a BIG hybird on a senko and my buddy got a catfish on a swimbait that was it.

No bass action at all.

Re: Tournament Etiquette - should I have said something? [Re: metalruch1] #11490830 03/21/16 03:02 PM
BMCD Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Sounds like an aggressive fisherman trying to push people out. I have seen it happen and have seen it work. I don't like it either, but unless I'm fishing a tournament I usually just don't care and move on. No reason to ruin a day on the water.

Re: Tournament Etiquette - should I have said something? [Re: Dan90210 ☮] #11490839 03/21/16 03:07 PM
M
metalruch1 Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
M
The Bass fishing is getting better. I am finding some big mammas in the brush. I have caught a 7,5, and some nice chunks flipping in the flooded brush. When there is some clouds, there is some brush about 3 foot from the brush you can see in about 4-5 ft. If that makes sense...I have been getting bit in there as well. My best was on spinner, but a flat bodied craw or creature bait has been doing the best. I really like the Z Hog in pumpkin or black blue. Thanks for keeping it about fishing brotha!!

BOOMER SOONER

Re: Tournament Etiquette - should I have said something? [Re: metalruch1] #11490903 03/21/16 03:41 PM
InTheClear Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
That man just doesn't get it, alot of them these days don't! I wouldn't let it ruin my day but after 5 times I'd of atleast let him know with some boat wash and a LARGE wake!

Last edited by InTheClear; 03/21/16 03:42 PM.
Re: Tournament Etiquette - should I have said something? [Re: metalruch1] #11490909 03/21/16 03:44 PM
F
FSWITX Offline
Angler
Angler
F
My wife was fishing with me when a couple of guys rolled up on us, I said "Hey fellows, I know she's attractive, but she belongs to me, so would ya'll mind looking at her from a distance" they laughed, nodded their heads and turned around. Embarrassed my wife a little, course she's use to it.

Tough situation at times and hard to be nice, especially when shes with you, cause if you tell'em what you wanna say, then shes upset with you.

Re: Tournament Etiquette - should I have said something? [Re: metalruch1] #11490919 03/21/16 03:50 PM
D
Dubee Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
D
How do you know he was fishing a tournament?

Re: Tournament Etiquette - should I have said something? [Re: metalruch1] #11490930 03/21/16 03:59 PM
B
BThomas Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
Was he wearing white sunglasses. a flat bill ball cap and a tournament jersey ?

Re: Tournament Etiquette - should I have said something? [Re: metalruch1] #11490932 03/21/16 04:00 PM
T
timwins31 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T
Everyone's definition of 'too close' is different. If I can cast over your line, you're too close. Annoying but it happens. Now the dude following me woulda pissed me off. I would have drove in a circle until I was behind him or he left.

I absolutely say something to guys when they get too close, but I'm really polite at first. You'll be surprised at how many people have never been taught to keep a wide birth. Most people either apologize or don't say anything and leave. But there's always going to be a few turds in the punchbowl. That's when you either have to be the bigger man or sink to their level. I'm not saying either is right or wrong - but one of those choices usually has no consequences and the other one almost always does.

Re: Tournament Etiquette - should I have said something? [Re: metalruch1] #11490960 03/21/16 04:14 PM
GROD Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Really depends on who is with me, who is in their boat, and the situation. I've grown up some over the years... 10 years ago the slab I threw on his front deck would've either made him leave or nose up to my boat... Either would've been okay. Now I try and be polite and avoid confrontation if possible... Some people just don't know any better and need to be corrected politely... This day in age though it's not worth the consequences of someone pulling a gun or putting myself in a situation I could've avoided and having to pull my own pistol to protect myself from an idiot I had an option to avoid. Most of the time though I keep fishing, catch fish, and watch them wonder how the hell I'm catching fish and they're not..

Last edited by GROD; 03/21/16 04:15 PM.
Re: Tournament Etiquette - should I have said something? [Re: metalruch1] #11490980 03/21/16 04:29 PM
W
WillieKetchum Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
W
This has never been a problem up until the past couple of years. I think we are all having develop a little defense against "that guy". My general rule of thumb is anything closer than a long cast with a Carolina Rig is too close. What usually works is to make a point to face the guy as he's headed to you and cast towards him to kinda claim your area. Show him you're not afraid to stand your ground. Nowadays most people's attitude change drastically when you're back is to them versus when you're facing them.

If the guy still impedes on your space, speak up and voice your opinion. You don't have to be a dick. Just let him know he's too close. As said above, some guys don't know fishing etiquette. Maybe they are bank fishermen that have just bought a boat and think fishing shoulder to shoulder like on the bank is okay. Now if the dude has the white Oakleys, flat brim cap and a cool jersey, then he knows better. He's just being a turd, but again, that long cast in his direction before he ever kills his big motor usually does the trick to guys that dress like a clown.

Re: Tournament Etiquette - should I have said something? [Re: metalruch1] #11490981 03/21/16 04:29 PM
K
Kyle405 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
K
Was it LunkersTV?

Re: Tournament Etiquette - should I have said something? [Re: fouzman] #11491043 03/21/16 04:59 PM
Insurance man Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: fouzman
maybe he liked your girlfriend.
+1

Re: Tournament Etiquette - should I have said something? [Re: metalruch1] #11491048 03/21/16 05:02 PM
Okie Poke Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
Seriously, we couldn't resist the smell of your GF's cologne!!! J/K!!

Yes, it was us. Let me explain a little further into detail. Firstly, all my fishing buddies say I give too much room and respect to people. Apparently, you do not feel the same way. Our first encounter we were slowly idling to the back of a pocket. You were stopped, fishing a point in the back. We were 40 yards away from you as we slowly idled by and proceeded to the last set of bushes on that same bank, approx 70 yards from you. We had planned to fish toward the point, the opposite way your boat was pointed. You will need to realize that there are times that us bankbeaters meet one another, smile, ask if they're catchin' any, and ask what side they would like to pass on. You didn't give us that opportunity to meet. You left mad, I guess. Oh, and no....we talked with that other boat that you said we cut off, too. They wanted us to pass in front of them because they knew we were in the tourney. I said no, politely, and we went around them, joked, talked about how our day was going, etc, etc.

2nd encounter went like this. We were already idling to a small cut and just so happen you were coming up from the back of the cut on the other side of the creek. We never even noticed you until we were half-way across the main creek. My partner noticed you first and said he waved at you before you veered off. I didn't see that. We idled toward cut and it appeared that you were going in to the cut, too. You then veered off like you had just changed your mind about going in there. I wave at you and you all of a sudden gave us the "shoo-off" hand gesture. We stayed in that cut for approx 25 minutes, and just so happen those guys that you said we cut off....they were in there, too. Believe it or not, another friendly encounter happened with them. They heard my partner swearing a little loud after losing a big momma, and they wanted to know what all our loud commotion was about.

Third time we were coming toward a point on the main creek with TM down flipping bushes. We rounded the point and noticed you were sitting in there retying, or whatever. We decided to TM across the whole cut and fish the other side, so that's what we did, staying at least 40 yards away from you while passing. We stopped and started fishing 60-70 yards away from where your boat sat, and was fishing in the opposite direction.

That's how it all went down, verbatum. If you are so sensitive about someone else fishing close to or by you, you may need to start bank fishing more. It's gonna happen in a boat. The only reason I am wasting my time defending our actions, is that this is the first time I've ever been called out by someone saying I cut them off, and I've been fishing in a boat for over 35 years. I try to avoid these situations if possible. We were going to fish that point we first seen you at and felt like that was the best way to do it and not make anyone mad. Evidently, we failed on our decision making, at least in your eyes. After carefully assessing our actions OTW yesterday, I wouldn't have done anything different if I were just out fun fishing. We will apologize to you for our actions, whether it's necessary or not....but, in the future, expect it to happen again by someone else.

Okie cheers

😎 Dallas Cowboys....eventual Superbowl Champions 😎

Re: Tournament Etiquette - should I have said something? [Re: metalruch1] #11491149 03/21/16 05:35 PM
T
Thad Rains Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
T
This is one reason I always (almost) have a digital camera onboard and take a shot to present the TD with. You will be AMAZED at how apologetic they get when you start taking pictures. LOL. Hope this helps. Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains

Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide