Print Thread
Page 74 of 401 1 2 72 73 74 75 76 400 401
Re: Lake Somerville [Re: J-Moe] #11448071 03/01/16 02:23 AM
T
TXfisherman12 Offline
Angler
Angler
T
On Sunday I made the pre-mature decision to not go before I read J-Moe's post. Sounds like the bite was on. I did manage to sneak out to a local creek about 20min from Sugar Land and caught 2 whites. This may be the last year to fish it as posted signs are getting more and more each year.

Still plan to make a trip up to Somerville later this week or possibly this weekend. I am itching to get up one of those creeks and catch fish - even if it is just crappies and black bass! Of the few whites I have caught over the years , I am impressed at the fight they have in them.

It was a different world when we were boys and girls....
Re: Lake Somerville [Re: J-Moe] #11448734 03/01/16 01:29 PM
C
catchnrelease Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
Sometimes you just have to do it. I'm 1 1/2 hrs away, and I usually consider the drive over the desire to be out here. When the spawn is on though, one just has to gas up and go. The drive home is tough, especially if you don't catch very many fish. And especially if you have to work the next day. Many of these guys here are catching limits of fish. I'm not one of those guys. It's tough burning all that fuel driving back and forth with no fish. But that one day when you find the fish and catch a near limit... its all worth it. It makes for a good story, and you'll know where to go and what to do next time. My local creeks are still 1 hr away. from me. Another 30 minutes added to my drive and the possibility of magnum sized whites, I just gas up and go.

We fished cedar creek at CR125 on Sunday. HL&S's video influenced me to seek that place out. I managed 8 fish from 4pm to 6pm. They were big fish too. Not as good as HL&S & friends but enough for a good meal. It was worth the almost 1/2 tank of gas to get there and back. I'll be back soon.

Tight Lines.

Shut up and fish!
Re: Lake Somerville [Re: catchnrelease] #11449034 03/01/16 03:39 PM
J
J-Moe Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
J
Originally Posted By: catchnrelease
Sometimes you just have to do it. I'm 1 1/2 hrs away, and I usually consider the drive over the desire to be out here. When the spawn is on though, one just has to gas up and go. The drive home is tough, especially if you don't catch very many fish. And especially if you have to work the next day. Many of these guys here are catching limits of fish. I'm not one of those guys. It's tough burning all that fuel driving back and forth with no fish. But that one day when you find the fish and catch a near limit... its all worth it. It makes for a good story, and you'll know where to go and what to do next time. My local creeks are still 1 hr away. from me. Another 30 minutes added to my drive and the possibility of magnum sized whites, I just gas up and go.

We fished cedar creek at CR125 on Sunday. HL&S's video influenced me to seek that place out. I managed 8 fish from 4pm to 6pm. They were big fish too. Not as good as HL&S & friends but enough for a good meal. It was worth the almost 1/2 tank of gas to get there and back. I'll be back soon.

Tight Lines.

Excellent Post thumb You just never know, that next log or bend in the creek may be the one. I know one thing for sure. I'm not thinking about issues at work or any of the other stresses of life. If I do, I'm probably going to be pulling my fly out of the tree branches. Either way, I'm preoccupied, LOL

Re: Lake Somerville [Re: J-Moe] #11450435 03/02/16 01:42 AM
W
white bass interceptor Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
W
I ventured out to the Erwin bridge on Monday and took the long walk down stream saw a lots of action in the water. A hole that I fished a week or two ago did not offer up very many fish. I keep going down stream and things begin to pick up. I got my limit around 12:30 or 1. Could have had my limit much earlier but I threw back everything under 12". Several limits came out that day and many stringers had around 20 and that was leaving around 1:00 or 1:30pm. Females were still full of eggs.

Re: Lake Somerville [Re: J-Moe] #11450492 03/02/16 02:11 AM
H
hook-line&sinker Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
H
I went back up Jerdelle Tuesday evening and can say that without more rain the whitebass run is over for that little creek. It is still fun to fly fish for sunfish and little bass but no where near as fun as catching mature whitebass..

Spillway is still producing some nice fish but the competition for them is ramping up daily..

>)));> Wishin' I was Fishin' <;(((<

“Personnel is the most vital and important aspect of any industry.
If you’re just going to grind them up, it’s not going to end well for anybody.”
SCOTT REINARDY

Re: Lake Somerville [Re: J-Moe] #11451463 03/02/16 04:14 PM
J
J-Moe Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
J
I had a couple more really good days catching white bass and hybrids at the dam. Problem is, it is becoming far too crowded for me to use the fly rod down there effectively now.

It stinks because I really enjoy catching those hybrids. Trying to find them and catch them from the bank or kayak with a fly rod on the main lake is not something I've been successful at yet.

Any advice is welcome.

Re: Lake Somerville [Re: hook-line&sinker] #11451476 03/02/16 04:20 PM
J
J-Moe Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
J
Originally Posted By: hook-line&sinker
I went back up Jerdelle Tuesday evening and can say that without more rain the whitebass run is over for that little creek. It is still fun to fly fish for sunfish and little bass but no where near as fun as catching mature whitebass..

I saw the quick decline at Cedar Creek and it looks like the fish are moving back downstream in the Yegua as well. We are almost back to where we were before this last rain. Lots of walking.

Re: Lake Somerville [Re: J-Moe] #11451532 03/02/16 04:49 PM
1Tacklehoarder Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Originally Posted By: J-Moe
I had a couple more really good days catching white bass and hybrids at the dam. Problem is, it is becoming far too crowded for me to use the fly rod down there effectively now.

It stinks because I really enjoy catching those hybrids. Trying to find them and catch them from the bank or kayak with a fly rod on the main lake is not something I've been successful at yet.

Any advice is welcome.

If you don't mind what you catch them on, get some little crawdad traps or a dip net and find some small to medium sized crawfish. Maybe a bait shop sells them. Rig them up Carolina rig style with a 36" leader and fish them on spinning gear. I use little razor sharp wide gap size 2, 4 or 6 hooks and steel barrel sinkers from 1/4-1/2 ounce. Chunking lures didn't seem to be producing many hybrids, and I didn't see many small shad around. I did, however, see people catching quite a few 3" crappie in throw nets and dip nets. I threw my little blue/chrome rapala rippin rap on 50lb braid and lighter wire hooks, with a white buck tail with flashabou rear treble. Caught several whites on it and had one hybrid hooked in the top of the head that came unbuttoned at the bank. I got snagged several times, but with the heavy braid I was able to pull it loose. I tried to throw it between two trees and the wind blew my line into a limb on my last cast with that lure. I came back with an intact knot and a mangled split ring. I tied on various other lipless cranks without success, switched over to a little 1/8 oz road runner with a smoke colored grub and started catching whites again about every 20 minutes. I threw probably 30 different lures of various kinds, and while many produced followers and obvious tail swipes, only the road runner and rippin rap produced for me. I saw people with multi jig setups who were dedicated to that one presentation catch a few. I use a H2O express lipless crankbait in ghost shad color with a feathered sparkly white treble beating the banks in the main lake with good success, but the water is pretty off colored for that right now it seems.

A country boy can survive!
Re: Lake Somerville [Re: 1Tacklehoarder] #11451659 03/02/16 05:34 PM
J
J-Moe Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
J
Originally Posted By: 1Tacklehoarder

Any advice is welcome.

If you don't mind what you catch them on, get some little crawdad traps or a dip net and find some small to medium sized crawfish. Maybe a bait shop sells them. Rig them up Carolina rig style with a 36" leader and fish them on spinning gear. I use little razor sharp wide gap size 2, 4 or 6 hooks and steel barrel sinkers from 1/4-1/2 ounce. Chunking lures didn't seem to be producing many hybrids, and I didn't see many small shad around. I did, however, see people catching quite a few 3" crappie in throw nets and dip nets. I threw my little blue/chrome rapala rippin rap on 50lb braid and lighter wire hooks, with a white buck tail with flashabou rear treble. Caught several whites on it and had one hybrid hooked in the top of the head that came unbuttoned at the bank. I got snagged several times, but with the heavy braid I was able to pull it loose. I tried to throw it between two trees and the wind blew my line into a limb on my last cast with that lure. I came back with an intact knot and a mangled split ring. I tied on various other lipless cranks without success, switched over to a little 1/8 oz road runner with a smoke colored grub and started catching whites again about every 20 minutes. I threw probably 30 different lures of various kinds, and while many produced followers and obvious tail swipes, only the road runner and rippin rap produced for me. I saw people with multi jig setups who were dedicated to that one presentation catch a few. I use a H2O express lipless crankbait in ghost shad color with a feathered sparkly white treble beating the banks in the main lake with good success, but the water is pretty off colored for that right now it seems.

Great Post thumb

I plan on using the fly rod but the information you provided is very helpful. Thanks for sharing.

Re: Lake Somerville [Re: J-Moe] #11451736 03/02/16 05:59 PM
R
R2Fishing Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R

Any advice is welcome.

PM sent

R2 Fishing
Crappie/Whitebass/Catfish
Lake Somerville
979-204-6722
Re: Lake Somerville [Re: J-Moe] #11451781 03/02/16 06:22 PM
J
jsinn01 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
More rain in the forecast for early next week. Should bring a few more fish into the creeks. thumb

Re: Lake Somerville [Re: J-Moe] #11451856 03/02/16 07:10 PM
H
hook-line&sinker Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
H
this morning at the dam was very slow... cool front kinda knocked 'em in the tail fins..

>)));> Wishin' I was Fishin' <;(((<

“Personnel is the most vital and important aspect of any industry.
If you’re just going to grind them up, it’s not going to end well for anybody.”
SCOTT REINARDY

Re: Lake Somerville [Re: J-Moe] #11452120 03/02/16 09:13 PM
F
fishytx Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
J-Moe, I beleive I've told you of a few good spots already. Whites and hybrids........ Think back....

Re: Lake Somerville [Re: fishytx] #11452663 03/03/16 01:26 AM
J
J-Moe Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
J
Originally Posted By: fishytx
J-Moe, I beleive I've told you of a few good spots already. Whites and hybrids........ Think back....

I'm not sure. You will have to jog my memory.

Re: Lake Somerville [Re: J-Moe] #11452680 03/03/16 01:30 AM
J
J-Moe Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
J
They dropped the flow at the dam to 357 cfs. Lake level is 238.5. 1/2 foot above normal.

I fly fished the dam for a while this evening. I finally found a good drift and caught a few. The bite didn't pickup until almost 6 PM.

Page 74 of 401 1 2 72 73 74 75 76 400 401
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide