M
MrNovice Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
M
Originally Posted By: psycho0819
Originally Posted By: MrNovice

In the meantime, I started a new 4 ft light. This time I started with the outside clear tube and am working my way inside, so I know it will fit.

Going to try a 4 ft clear CFL protective tube instead of clear pvc. It is thinner and hope it won't get too hot. Ordered (2) 5630 green led strips and will run power to both ends of tube to help keep from dimming, that's 32 ft of strip. Got 3/4 pvc tube for the light strips to wrap around on the inside. If the outside casing holds up, this is going to be one bright bad boy!

Keep you posted on the progress for any that are interested.

In testing my 4' models on the water, I discovered that having 100% coverage on a 4' light is not necessary (not really necessary on a 2' model either). I have tested them, 100% coverage on one end of the boat and 50% coverage on the other end of the boat, and both attracted bait equally. My advice, save some money and build 2 lights out of those two 5 meter strips. I rarely catch anything in the bright area anyway, most fish come on the edge of the light.

That's a good thought, because running two 5 meter strips is going to need to be powered at both ends also because the dimming situation. Appreciate the input! Looks like I still have more research to do...

Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright
Re: Green fishing lights [Re: psycho0819] #11457586 03/05/16 04:59 PM
M
MrNovice Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
M
Originally Posted By: psycho0819

In testing my 4' models on the water, I discovered that having 100% coverage on a 4' light is not necessary (not really necessary on a 2' model either). I have tested them, 100% coverage on one end of the boat and 50% coverage on the other end of the boat, and both attracted bait equally. My advice, save some money and build 2 lights out of those two 5 meter strips. I rarely catch anything in the bright area anyway, most fish come on the edge of the light.

Also, if you don't mind sharing...what species fish do you usually catch while using the lights? Crappie?

I'm going to be using mine off the banks since I don't have a boat. Basically tossing them out in the water so I'm sure they will just lay down on the bottom and not hang upright like if they were suspended. I am using 40 ft of power cord for them so I can hang them from bridges if neccessary too.

Last edited by MrNovice; 03/05/16 05:02 PM.

Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright
Re: Green fishing lights [Re: MrNovice] #11458931 03/06/16 04:18 PM
P
psycho0819 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
P
I've caught a bit of everything using them. Mostly use them to catch sand bass and hybrids on Tawakoni, but quite a few crappie too. You really never know what is going to swim through and bend a rod. It's really fun to have 3-4 lights down, 4-6 rods out, and hook a nice hybrid. Chaos ensues! Usually followed by re-tying several rigs.

Here's my boat lit up too. Using submersibles with the boat lights I can black out my fish finder with bait from top to bottom in 30' of water.

Last edited by psycho0819; 03/06/16 04:27 PM.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!
Re: Green fishing lights [Re: psycho0819] #11458963 03/06/16 04:42 PM
M
MrNovice Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
M
WOW! Nice rig! That took some hard work.

I hear you about having to re-tie several lines. With that many poles down they sometimes hit in 3's and then it's lines tangled everywhere. Good to know the lights will attract sandbass and hybrid though, or at least the baitball will. They are fun fish to land!

Thanks for your help!

Re: Green fishing lights [Re: MrNovice] #11461398 03/07/16 07:46 PM
M
MrNovice Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
M
5630 strands just arrived! I don't think they look much brighter than the 5050's...hmmm. hmmm

(5630's on top, 5050's below)

Maybe once wrapped around the inside pvc we'll see a difference? Good thing forecast calls for rain next 4 days, it'll give me something to do and time for glue to cure!

These strands are definitely much more waterproof than the 5050's I previously ordered...

Heavy half moon clear rubber lining on the outside with the 5630's inbedded...

Look very durable and waterproof, but not much "brighter", maybe because the waterproof lining? We'll soon find out!

Last edited by MrNovice; 03/07/16 07:47 PM.

Re: Green fishing lights [Re: MrNovice] #11461504 03/07/16 08:28 PM
M
MrNovice Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
M
On a side note: I do know now why some companies charge $200-300 dollars for these type lights...It takes a bunch of time and does make your fingers hurt from all the tedious repetitive wrapping and pulling to get the strands tight, but I just don't want to pay the money for something I can probably do myself....

Re: Green fishing lights [Re: MrNovice] #11464981 03/09/16 03:36 AM
M
MrNovice Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
M
Alright, 4ft light almost complete except for additional time for glue curing and a few details that might be needed like the addition of counterweights, ect. Anyways, here's an update on the progress...

Here you can see the top end pvc cap. I had to use a coupler and then an inside end screw top because for some reason my Home Depot didn't have normal cap ends in the CFL tube size, so I improvised what would work. Sealant is inside pvc coupler and beaded on around CFL/pvc outside joint for waterproofing. Also around pvc coupler and screw in end for waterproofing as well.

Here is the end from a deeper angle to show the 18 gauge power wire running through the gland to power the light and keep water from leaking in. I'll probably bury the gland in sealant as well just to guarantee waterproofing and add more strength when dropping/pulling up the light to the water. The pvc end was drilled 3/4 inch to seat the gland into the end piece.

This is the bottom pvc end, same as the top but no gland. I can seat additional weight into the end cap if needed to help it sink, then bury it in sealant as well to stay if neccesary. Sealed inside, outside and beaded where it meets the CFL tube as well.

And the finished product! Pretty bright, really clear and doesn't seem to get as hot as my 2ft 5050 led stick at the top of this post.

And what I'm most fond of, is my fabricated battery housing. Like $10 from Walmart with a few modifications...

Normal housing with jumper cable type small clamps on power posts on the inside, 18 gauge wire to 10A fuse and then run through the side of cover by way of waterproof gland. Quick connects for positive/negative and toggle switch built in also.

All in all, a pretty easy little project. Power source (battery, cover, toggle switch, monkey clamps, and wire) might run you about $100, but designed for easy application to power other things if neccesary as well. 4ft light (LEDs, 3/4 inch pvc inside, CFL protector tube, pvc ends, cable glands, sealant) might run you $50. Not too bad for a power source that can be used for multiple applications and a 4ft submersible led light.

If you are thinking of trying this out, I say go for it. Build was of medium difficulty due to fabrication (drilling) of pvc ends and assembly, which requires you to have it planned out at least 4 steps ahead before final assembly (sealing and running power through cable glands). If you need any help or questions if you are interested in trying this, give me a hollar and I'll do my best to try and help any way I can. Thanks!

Re: Green fishing lights [Re: MrNovice] #11466906 03/09/16 11:57 PM
Txmedic033 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Looks great! Much more professional looking than the one that I built.

Re: Green fishing lights [Re: Txmedic033] #11466943 03/10/16 12:15 AM
M
MrNovice Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
M
Originally Posted By: Txmedic033
Looks great! Much more professional looking than the one that I built.

Thanks! Not really that tough with proper tools and time. Definitely have to plan several steps ahead though, or you could easily get yourself in a postion where you glued the wrong part at the wrong time.

Last edited by MrNovice; 03/10/16 12:15 AM.

Re: Green fishing lights [Re: MrNovice] #11467020 03/10/16 12:55 AM
B
bowfin Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Which is better--float or weight for sinking ?

Re: Green fishing lights [Re: bowfin] #11467065 03/10/16 01:12 AM
M
MrNovice Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
M
Originally Posted By: bowfin
Which is better--float or weight for sinking ?

You want it to sink, or suspend it in the water a few feet down to create a baitball.

https://youtu.be/30uppH3nrec

Last edited by MrNovice; 03/10/16 01:22 AM.

Re: Green fishing lights [Re: MrNovice] #11500656 03/25/16 03:44 PM
M
MrNovice Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
M
The 4ft green light was a success, after just an hour I had a small amount of bait circling it from minnows to small shad. You can actually see them attacking the light. Sealed and waterproof, but had to tie a 5lb rock onto the bottom of light to get it to sink. Very bouyant!

https://youtu.be/GqkAjkO_ECI

On a side note, the plastic CFL protector tube used on the outside did have some inverse pressure on it after several hours of being submerged (I don't know what the word is, maybe concave? But it did start to fold in on itself slightly, mostly around the middle, from the water pressure on the outside of it and the heat from the lights softening the tube a little). Maybe some sort of plastic or metal (keyring type) sustainer rings mounted on the insides would help? I think because of the length being so long (4ft), if there was a little inside support towards the middle holding the outside then that would drastically help the outside from trying to fold in on itself.

Just a thought. Shouldn't be a problem with 2ft lights. Too short.

Last edited by MrNovice; 03/25/16 07:34 PM.

Re: Green fishing lights [Re: MrNovice] #11502594 03/26/16 04:39 PM
M
MrNovice Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
M
Okay, 2ft light with clear PVC cover was a dud. Worked fine, is waterproof, but the blue tinting and thickness of the PVC turned the light WORTHLESS for attracting fish. It was either the blue tinting or how dim the pvc made the light trying to get through, but after several hours it only attracted a few water bugs and 1 minnow. Going to have to disassemble it (probably by breaking the outer covering) and try another clear CFL protective tube for the outer shell. They work on my other 4ft light, so a 2ft model should at least do something once replaced. Trial and error...

Re: Green fishing lights [Re: MrNovice] #11503877 03/27/16 02:25 PM
Txmedic033 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Wrap some 2' thick walled PVC w/ your lights. Glue and clamp the ends of the strips until the glue cures. Then spray the entire light w/ several coats of clear Flex Seal. The light will sink w/ much less weight and will hold up just fine. I have been using mine for several years w/o any issues.

Re: Green fishing lights [Re: MrNovice] #11504780 03/28/16 12:55 AM
P
psycho0819 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
P
If you are wrapping your LED's around an internal PVC core, then fill the core with sand to make it sink. Just that amount overcomes the buoyancy of my lights and they sink without the need for external weighting. Depending on mow much air/void you have in your lights, results may vary.

That's also why ready made custom lights cost what they do, R&D takes time and money.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide