Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Power plant off [Re: BassnTony] #11428239 02/21/16 01:41 PM
F
Flippin-Out Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
Dang I'm sore! ......but it's because I worked on the boat a good bit yesterday. (Major upgrades underway.) Good engineers do two things well:

1) Learn more of what they didn't know,
2) At times, show the naysayers how it's done

We don't always succeed, but we sure do chisel away at it.

Re: Power plant off [Re: Flippin-Out] #11430475 02/22/16 04:22 PM
Huckleberry Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: Flippin-Out
OK, you just said that a gas plant has two stages: gas turbine, and (secondary power) steam turbine. The steam turbine is run by a boiler using waste heat from the gas turbine. A coal plant uses a boiler/coal combo to drive a steam turbine. The generation part of an existing coal plant IS the secondary stage of a gas-fired plant.

Power plants often have multiple boilers so that generation can be matched to demand. A coal-powered plant already has a steam control system and steam turbines driven by each boiler. That's the second stage of the gas powered plant. Yes, any boiler that will remain must be retrofitted to heat using the gas turbine exhaust instead of coal. So, add gas turbines to heat one or more existing boilers on site (that gets retrofitted for heat source) and you've got a new plant without tearing down an entire infrastructure. A 3-line plant may be scaled back to 2-line because there would be two stages to each line (original steam turbines + added gas-fired turbines).

Not saying it can't be done but what I'm trying to say is, it's more difficult & costly than it seems. Read the article Bus hog posted. In the end is this ....

"It would appear that the coal to gas conversion market has peaked and is now on the decline".

Re: Power plant off [Re: Bass98] #11432975 02/23/16 03:50 PM
C
coachallentca Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
C
they have scrubbers. Part of the problem is we have not had a cold winter.

Originally Posted By: Bass98
Originally Posted By: Rayzor
Originally Posted By: Jaguar6
Originally Posted By: Rayzor
Open up Google maps and find Welsh reservoir. See that big pile up coal? The EPA doesn't like that stuff.
They don't like it at all...

It wouldn't be so bad if the plants would be adapted for natural gas while stilling producing, switched over and then allowed to operate. NOT! That would make way too much sense. They close the plant down or greatly reduce its operation and then have rolling black-outs.

This would make sense!

Wether we like it or not EPA has a loud voice and coal fired plants days are numbered. Very unfortunate. I thought the installation of scrubbers was supposed to make them happy. Guess not.

Last edited by coachallentca; 02/23/16 03:56 PM.
Re: Power plant off [Re: BassnTony] #11434253 02/23/16 11:58 PM
J
Jon Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
J
It's hard to imagine that there is just no technology available that can make it possible to utilize all that available coal to make electricity at a safe enough level of emissions. I'm no expert on scrubbers and such but it just seems like with all the technology we are capable of producing, that we can't solve this one. Like has been mentioned already, I bet there is a lot more to this deal involving behind the scenes agendas than what's being reported.

Re: Power plant off [Re: BassnTony] #11434343 02/24/16 12:33 AM
F
Freeman Clark Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
Like it or not we all have to keep up with the times.

Re: Power plant off [Re: Jon] #11435378 02/24/16 01:12 PM
Huckleberry Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: Jon
It's hard to imagine that there is just no technology available that can make it possible to utilize all that available coal to make electricity at a safe enough level of emissions. I'm no expert on scrubbers and such but it just seems like with all the technology we are capable of producing, that we can't solve this one. Like has been mentioned already, I bet there is a lot more to this deal involving behind the scenes agendas than what's being reported.

They do have the technology buts it's very expensive.

Re: Power plant off [Re: Huckleberry] #11435892 02/24/16 04:12 PM
J
Jon Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted By: Huckleberry
Originally Posted By: Jon

They do have the technology buts it's very expensive.

That makes sense. Hopefully some whiz kid might figure out a way to make it affordable.
Sure would have been nice if some of those billions of $'s of economic stimulus money that went out a while back could have been used to upgrade some of those plants.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide