Forums59
Topics1,039,636
Posts13,968,140
Members144,210
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: What is the best way to learn how to tournament fish? [Re: Squirrely Dan] #11354309 01/18/16 11:16 PM
James Biggs Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted By: Im RICK JAMES
Get in touch with James Biggs. He teaches you that and much more.

I'd be glad to speed up your learning curve.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: What is the best way to learn how to tournament fish? [Re: Big Mouth Brett] #11355045 01/19/16 04:11 AM
D
DevinJoe Offline
Angler
Angler
D
Let's go sometime. I live on fork and fish a lot by myself. I'm no pro by any means but I can catch one every now and then.

Re: What is the best way to learn how to tournament fish? [Re: Big Mouth Brett] #11355942 01/19/16 06:00 PM
H
Hog Jaw Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
H
Catch 5 fish and bring them in alive every time

Re: What is the best way to learn how to tournament fish? [Re: Big Mouth Brett] #11356022 01/19/16 06:31 PM
T
thechapman Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
It's a learning curve. Enter a couple small tournaments and analyze how you do in each one

Re: What is the best way to learn how to tournament fish? [Re: Big Mouth Brett] #11356138 01/19/16 07:08 PM
J
jfdawson Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
I realize the mystique of fishing Fork is something you ( and everyone else ) wants to figure out, but 1 thing you'll get from fishing bass clubs is the knowledge of fishing other lakes. You will also build confidence in yourself. I was a Fork /Ray Roberts guy primarily due to the proximity of Frisco, but after fishing with McKinney Bass Club for 2 seasons, my favorite lakes are now Athens, Palestine, LOP & Monticello. IMO, Fork is a tough Lake to learn. It's gets even tougher with 1200 boats zooming around on tournament day. And even spending 50+ days a year on Fork, I still have more than my fair share of ZEROs.

As mentioned above, not only do clubs provide fishing skill improvements, generally theres sharing information not only about patterns and lure selection and each club will have an electronics guru or 2 to help you with your set up. Plus the cost per tournament is much less than those $100-$300 big fish tourneys you've been fishing. For instance, MBC is $30 annual for membership and $40/tourney. Bass champs, BLT, Texas Team trail are all great trails, but IMO you won't learn much from others going that route. And YEs, I have fished both BassChamps and BLT.

If you have any questions about MBC, please send me a PM and I'll be glad to answer any questions or point you to our officers.

Jeff

Re: What is the best way to learn how to tournament fish? [Re: Big Mouth Brett] #11357491 01/20/16 04:28 AM
W
WmSmith Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
W
Try the BFL as a non boater. You will be surprised of the education you will get out of that experience. You will not only about how tournaments are ran but how to fish different techniques. It s a great way to learn

Re: What is the best way to learn how to tournament fish? [Re: Big Mouth Brett] #11357732 01/20/16 01:16 PM
S
Skeeter man ZX225 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
S
join a club that has a non boater draw (McKinney bass club is a good one) and then you can get a good start as to learning from different people how to fish tournaments.

Re: What is the best way to learn how to tournament fish? [Re: Big Mouth Brett] #11357775 01/20/16 01:39 PM
W
WillieKetchum Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
W
I guess I have a dumb question...

What is there to learn about tournament fishing? It seems like common sense to me.

1. Try to catch the 5 biggest fish you can.
2. Understand and follow all the rules of the tournament.
3. Realize tournament fishing is gambling. Chances are you're going to lose more than you win.

Re: What is the best way to learn how to tournament fish? [Re: WillieKetchum] #11358301 01/20/16 04:56 PM
Big Mouth Brett Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
I understand how to fish and that I need to bring in the biggest fish to win, but my point is with all the running around and "spots" to get to and time of day and lures to use, etc...how do you accomplish this. Being new to owning a boat and never fishing deep per say I am just curious how to be better at fishing in these things. It is tough to know all the ins and outs of actually being on the water vs. standing on a bank most of your life.

I am a do it myself and learn kind of guy over a read about it or watch youtube to learn.

Re: What is the best way to learn how to tournament fish? [Re: Big Mouth Brett] #11358369 01/20/16 05:22 PM
W
WillieKetchum Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
W
Originally Posted By: Big Mouth Brett
I understand how to fish and that I need to bring in the biggest fish to win, but my point is with all the running around and "spots" to get to and time of day and lures to use, etc...how do you accomplish this. Being new to owning a boat and never fishing deep per say I am just curious how to be better at fishing in these things. It is tough to know all the ins and outs of actually being on the water vs. standing on a bank most of your life.

I am a do it myself and learn kind of guy over a read about it or watch youtube to learn.

Now I understand your question. First of all, there is no substitute for time on the water. To learn, you've gotta be there doing it. Maximize your time while you are at the lake....meaning that when you plan a trip, make it a daylight to dark trip to get the most out of it. It costs a lot less to stay on the lake than to drive home and then drive back to the lake.

You can educate yourself a lot nowadays right here online. Watching videos, reading articles, etc...that will help speed up the education process, but be careful not to fill your head with too much information that will only confuse you.

My simple advise is this - learn the basics of fishing and fish behavior (where they are supposed to be at that particular time of the year) and spend time learning to catch fish. There is nothing better than learning something yourself. The beauty (but also most aggravating thing) about fishing is there is no right answer to catching fish. For example, lots of guys think the only way to catch a fish during the spawn is to sight fish. Not true, there's plenty of fish to be caught away from the bank. Spend time on the water.

Re: What is the best way to learn how to tournament fish? [Re: Big Mouth Brett] #11358554 01/20/16 06:42 PM
TallBaldCypress Online Content
Pro Angler
Online Content
Pro Angler
I started by fishing a few low entry fee tournaments. Like couples tournaments, rattle trap tournaments etc. Those got me familiar with tournament fishing and I started understanding how the process worked. Once I figured that out I fished a full season as a coangler in the BFLs. I did it with the sole intention of learning how pros (and I use that term loosely) approached tournaments. I had some good boaters and some bad ones but I took it all in.
This will be my first year as a boater in the BFLs and my expectations are pretty low. My goal for the first one is to just catch a limit. And when that starts happening regularly I'll build on it. Good luck!

Doing well in bass tournaments is the hardest thing I've ever tried in my life. I feel like I've accomplished some fairly difficult things in life but nothing has been as slow and frustrating as competitive bass fishing!

Last edited by B. Dill; 01/20/16 06:45 PM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide