Forums59
Topics1,039,474
Posts13,965,241
Members144,207
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Proper battery charging protocol [Re: tyingknots] #11343423 01/13/16 05:24 PM
J
JIM SR. Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
J
I'm battery dumb no doubt, I do charge trolling batteries as soon as I come off the water, and do pretty good through the summer because I use the boat a lot.
This year I have my boat stored in a rental storgage facility, and I have put a charger timer on the trolling motor batteries. It charges the batteries for 18 hours every Friday. So far this has worked great. One thing I was told is never charge your batteries with the access door closed down. The fumes are very
toxic and over time can damage tubing and wiring, so I always leave it open. I also turn off the trolling motor power and the main power switches,...
so far so good. fish

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Proper battery charging protocol [Re: tyingknots] #11344788 01/14/16 03:32 AM
R
RHP Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
I learned a hard lesson when I failed to check the water levels in my batteries. Had one blow up while I was out alone and it scared me to death when the smoke poured out of the compartment. I gingerly went home and opened up the compartment to find anbusted opened battery and acid burned some of my wiring. The cost of that little lesson was enough for me to check levels every other time I go out.

I keep the charger plugged in until I take it out and then plug it back in as soon as I get back in.

Re: Proper battery charging protocol [Re: tyingknots] #11344831 01/14/16 03:46 AM
slim 285 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
I keep a check on the water and when needed use only distilled water to refill. Plug the charger up as soon as I get off the water. And if the boat sits for a while I plug the charger up ever few weeks just to top them off.
I have not had the boat out since the end of Oct. And have plug the charger up ever now and then. Went out today and plugged up the charger and went back and looked at it in ten minutes and all the batteries were saying they were fully charged.
My last starting battery lasted six years. And usually get three years out of trolling motor batteries

Re: Proper battery charging protocol [Re: Flippin-Out] #11344956 01/14/16 05:04 AM
C
chadcox Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
C
Originally Posted By: Flippin-Out
[quote=tyingknots]
2. The deeper a battery is discharged, the shorter its service life will be. This is why higher capacity batteries last longer, assuming all other characteristics are fairly equal.

This is the only thing I disagree with in your post. For the life of me I can't find the source where I found this information, mostly because it was some 7 years ago when I started in the battery industry. The basics of it was that every battery has only so many cycle lives, so draining from 100% to 0% is one cycle, same goes for draining the battery to 50% and recharging twice. There was some good reading on this, maybe I can find it tomorrow while I'm at work.

Re: Proper battery charging protocol [Re: tyingknots] #11345014 01/14/16 08:23 AM
F
Flippin-Out Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
Chad,

Let me explain the reason for my simplified statement, and then I'll give you some info from Trojan that backs up what I said.

Let's agree that we're discussing traditional flooded wet cell batteries and that all have a "discharge profile" engineered into the design depending on the intended service. This is set in the specifications and will vary by battery model and by manufacturer. "Discharged" doesn't mean dead, as in nearly 0 volts, of course. I have seen manufacturer recommendations that encourage discharge to not less than the 50% charge level, but any specification assigned for a battery is whatever it is - but it should be heeded. It's not uncommon to see a notice such as "discharge beyond xx% is not recommended and will result in irreversible damage".

We have two identical boats with identical loads and trolling motors. One boat has two batteries with 205 Reserve Minutes each, and the other boat has two batteries with 150 Reserve Minutes each. The batteries are from the same manufacturer and product family - their only difference is Reserve Capacity. The TM on each boat gets run for the exact length of time. Each motor burns exactly xxx watt-hours of energy in the course of the trial.

At the end of the trial, each battery is properly measured. The boat with the higher capacity batteries discharged to a remaining charge level of 65%. This is noted as being within the manufacturer's recommended range. The boat with the lower capacity batteries burned the same number of watt-hours of energy, but there was less stored energy to draw from. Those two batteries are found to have a remaining charge of 30%, meaning they were 70% discharged.

Our example manufacturer recommends that batteries not be discharged beyond 50%. Repeat the above example once each weekend. Which set of batteries is going to need replacement first?

Now, here's some of what Trojan says:

Shallow discharges will result in a longer battery life.
50% (or less) discharges are recommended.
80% discharge is the maximum safe discharge.
Do not fully discharge flooded batteries (80% or more). This will damage (or kill) the battery.
Many experts recommend operating batteries only between the 50% to 85% of full charge range. A periodic equalization charge is a must when using this practice.
Do not leave batteries deeply discharged for any length of time.
Lead acid batteries do not develop a memory and do not need to be fully discharged before recharging.
Batteries should be charged after each period of use.

Please note that I was not aware of this info published by Trojan when I wrote the prior posts; I found it only tonight when searching for info to share in support of my own recommendations.

Re: Proper battery charging protocol [Re: Flippin-Out] #11345020 01/14/16 09:40 AM
P
pinesjunkie Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
P
Originally Posted By: teamchampion
I agree with all said here. Also like the pad lock idea.

Thank you. The padlock idea is my own original idea. I have a couple of epic trips in the works and have been thinking through how to slow down some of the separation of me and my stuff - or at least make it less convenient to take.

My power-poles mount to a plate sandwiched against the transom, so taking the bracket is difficult. But, Power-Pole theft = 4 bolts and snip snip to the hydraulic tubing. I've seen a $100+ solution per pole that's nice but a bit much! I am still working on ideas to slow them down or cause a thief to decide it's too much trouble. One is to add an appropriate hole to the square mounting plate near the edge. Use a good quality armored shackle lock on it (if that fits, need to check). Another is use a proper length "bolt style" trailer coupler latch lock on a hole added to the PP/bracket. The locks can easily be removed before launching for a day of fishing.

Man just put a T-H Alarm on your boat problem solved trust me your not taking power poles off without it going off lol

Brad Smith
Re: Proper battery charging protocol [Re: tyingknots] #11345287 01/14/16 02:19 PM
C
chadcox Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
C
Flippin,
After reading your second post and rereading both mine and your original, I think we're saying the same thing but in a different way.

Re: Proper battery charging protocol [Re: pinesjunkie] #11346263 01/14/16 09:27 PM
F
Flippin-Out Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
Originally Posted By: pinesjunkie
Originally Posted By: teamchampion
I agree with all said here. Also like the pad lock idea.

Thank you. The padlock idea is my own original idea. I have a couple of epic trips in the works and have been thinking through how to slow down some of the separation of me and my stuff - or at least make it less convenient to take.

My power-poles mount to a plate sandwiched against the transom, so taking the bracket is difficult. But, Power-Pole theft = 4 bolts and snip snip to the hydraulic tubing. I've seen a $100+ solution per pole that's nice but a bit much! I am still working on ideas to slow them down or cause a thief to decide it's too much trouble. One is to add an appropriate hole to the square mounting plate near the edge. Use a good quality armored shackle lock on it (if that fits, need to check). Another is use a proper length "bolt style" trailer coupler latch lock on a hole added to the PP/bracket. The locks can easily be removed before launching for a day of fishing.

Man just put a T-H Alarm on your boat problem solved trust me your not taking power poles off without it going off lol

I did that too! ....The boat already had a locker-bar with the alarm lock. I've seen LOTS of stuff stolen over my lifetime of fishing. I know I won't stop it if they truly intend to take it. But, I can make it inconvenient as all get-out, and slow them down to the point that someone may come along and spook them away. I might come by to say howdy too.... nuts

Re: Proper battery charging protocol [Re: Grant2] #11349030 01/16/16 01:04 AM
W
WmSmith Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
W
Originally Posted By: Grant2
I top mine off when I get home and unplug after they charge. The day before I go back I plug them back in until the morning I leave batteries last along time for me never a problem.

+1

Re: Proper battery charging protocol [Re: tyingknots] #11349284 01/16/16 02:49 AM
L
Lucky Al Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
L
I have them on a timer. Every morning it turns on for 45 minutes, then turns off and that way, they're always topped off. No problems with them overheating this way. Of course, I always charge them when I get back from fishing.

Re: Proper battery charging protocol [Re: tyingknots] #11349721 01/16/16 12:48 PM
E
ezbassin Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
E
Originally Posted By: tyingknots
What is the proper way to charge your batteries. I leave mine on the charger until I use my boat next. That might be one week to one month. Is that bad for the batteries? Friend of mine only charges his the day before he goes. Who's right?

You are....

If he only charges the day before he uses the boat he is shortening the life of his batteries. His batteries are sitting in a discharged state and that is not good for a battery.

Re: Proper battery charging protocol [Re: tyingknots] #11349732 01/16/16 01:09 PM
361V Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
I guess at this point I'm wondering: who does not have a "quality AUTOMATIC battery charger"? While small changes to this industry still occur automatic chargers that monitor the state of the battery charge have been around for a long, long time. If you are still using an old automotive charger that simply cranks out the factory set amps until you unplug it you are wasting your time...and batteries. Even if a high-end $800 built-in 4-bank charger is not in your budget there are lots of cheaper battery chargers, even portable ones that are "automatic". Plug it in and forget it.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide