Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Let's Talk Winter Crappie [Re: Ken Gaby] #11338311 01/11/16 04:19 PM
S
SK. Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
S
TE something that I like doing is going the opposite of a lot I hear/read just to see if it'll work....
I've always heard dark baits in/on dark days/murky water conditions but I catch plenty going bright, white/chart or straight chart....
I'm no constant 2lb wacker but those pound & aahhh halvers sure are fun flipping in tha boat...
Juss something to think about eeks OMG

Last edited by SK.; 01/11/16 04:20 PM.

Crappie Guide on Houston TX area lakes. Email to schedule a trip: skscrappiecatchingadventures@gmail.com or call my message line 281-301-9316

REGARDLESS OF HOW MANLY YOU THINK YOU ARE WEARING A PFD CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE.....Onxy A/M 24 PFD's

Check Out SK's CRAPPIE Catching Adventures on YouTube....
https://www.youtube.com/user/fishingorhunting
Re: Let's Talk Winter Crappie [Re: SK.] #11338390 01/11/16 04:45 PM
Tommy Ezell Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: SK.
TE something that I like doing is going the opposite of a lot I hear/read just to see if it'll work....
I've always heard dark baits in/on dark days/murky water conditions but I catch plenty going bright, white/chart or straight chart....
I'm no constant 2lb wacker but those pound & aahhh halvers sure are fun flipping in tha boat...

Exactly, that's why we have the forum. To learn. No one person will ever have it completely figured out. There are rules of thump that should work but when all else fails a good angler better have an imagination to think out of the box.

And yup I can't recall the last time I used black/char. Salt n Pepper is my first choice in dark conditions. I'm really not hung up on color though. Profile and presentation is the key imho.

Last edited by Tommy Ezell; 01/11/16 04:58 PM.
Re: Let's Talk Winter Crappie [Re: SK.] #11338413 01/11/16 04:55 PM
S
SheCrappieKilla Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
S
Originally Posted By: SK.

Exactly, this and fast moving baits is all you need to know on certain days and conditions.

Re: Let's Talk Winter Crappie [Re: Ken Gaby] #11339178 01/11/16 10:19 PM
H
Hickory Nut Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
H
I remember hearing an old man that always seemed to catch crappie say that on a rise the fish get silt and mud across their gills and it makes them sick.

Re: Let's Talk Winter Crappie [Re: Hickory Nut] #11339201 01/11/16 10:30 PM
Tommy Ezell Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: Hickory Nut
I remember hearing an old man that always seemed to catch crappie say that on a rise the fish get silt and mud across their gills and it makes them sick.

Great feed back. Thank you

I thought about the fish filtering that water and discussed it with my tournament partner.

Re: Let's Talk Winter Crappie [Re: Ken Gaby] #11340609 01/12/16 12:38 PM
red snappa Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
This is a fantastic thread! I am always trying to learn something, even when I can't get on the water. For everyone who contributed so far, THANKS! This has been a great read. My next question is for Tommy Ezell. The lake that you are fishing that is 13' high (I suspect is right down the road from me), have you had good or mixed results? I have made one trip and it was just not good. Winds were a little rough, but not unfishable. Water was still 56 degrees, but could not find anything on my electronics other than empty brush. That is why I tried Fork, but caught fish there. What do you think on that one? Every one else? They are similar sized lakes.

I like my fishing like a whino likes his wine!
http://thermoclinelures.com
http://advancedtaxidermy.com
Re: Let's Talk Winter Crappie [Re: red snappa] #11340611 01/12/16 12:41 PM
T
tboxfish Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: red snappa
I have to agree with SheCrappieKilla. The high water has not effected the bite for me, and the bite has been solid THUMPS on the purple passion. Two trips at the dam on Fork has produced, even after the bulk of the rain and they were letting as much water as possible out. So, was I lucky or did I just find really hungry crappie? Was it the color being used? I am interested in what you guys think, because most of you spend way more time on the water than I do! I just consider myself an OK catcherman! Could it just be the conditions of the days I fished?

hmmm
What you failed to mention RS, is that when the bite got good for you, you were soaking your bait in Slab Slobber. Although we had been using scent that day, RS got on a roll in the later afternoon, and made the statement, that he was soaking his bait before each redeployment. I soaked my bait and instantly caught a fish.
This topic was brought up previously in this thread, and I'm a firm believer that scent can make a TON of difference when the fish are not in a major feeding mode & lethargic.

2cents

Todd Box
THERMOCLINE LURES
"Helping YOU catch MORE & LARGER fish!"
www.thermoclinelures.com/shop

Todd's Crappie Tutorial Trips
Cell 903-588-0129
Re: Let's Talk Winter Crappie [Re: red snappa] #11340749 01/12/16 02:13 PM
Tommy Ezell Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: red snappa
This is a fantastic thread! I am always trying to learn something, even when I can't get on the water. For everyone who contributed so far, THANKS! This has been a great read. My next question is for Tommy Ezell. The lake that you are fishing that is 13' high (I suspect is right down the road from me), have you had good or mixed results? I have made one trip and it was just not good. Winds were a little rough, but not unfishable. Water was still 56 degrees, but could not find anything on my electronics other than empty brush. That is why I tried Fork, but caught fish there. What do you think on that one? Every one else? They are similar sized lakes.

You are correct. I suspect the bite will be on this weekend. The bite had been off imho due to small particles in the water. There was stuff floating all through out the water column. This happens on Lavon as well immediately after a flood and the bite is slim to none. I can always manage a taco or two though.

There is only so much you can learn fishing the same fisheries. Nothing wrong with that depending on one's goals. I prefer to learn and the more lakes I've fished the more I've learned. For example I've truly avoided spider rigging. You get me on a lake like Grenada and I'll get my butt handed to me. It's not my thing just like jigs isn't other folks thing. We all should respect one another's styles and goals.

There are tid bits I get from the CAT meetings and various legends I know. In all reality there is some epic fishing to be done in Texas but it'll take research and TOW to accomplish it. I guess again that depends on your idea of epic. Is it finding lakes that aren't spoken of and finding how the fish relate to that lake or is it going to the spots that are well known every season and smashing the fish? Either way I can respect that.

Last edited by Tommy Ezell; 01/12/16 03:22 PM.
Re: Let's Talk Winter Crappie [Re: Ken Gaby] #11342708 01/13/16 12:27 PM
red snappa Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Good catch Tboxfish! I wasn't even thinking about the fact that I actually used the Slab Slobber. Like Tommy Ezell said, learn from everyone you can and time on the water. I was one who never, ever used attractants on my jigs, but after joining this forum I have learned that a lot of really good crappie fisherman do! So about two months ago I finally got a bottle of the stuff because so many here on the forum used it. It took me that long to finally try it, and I think I need to field trial the stuff a couple hundred more times to make sure I give it a chance! Seriously though, that might be what the difference in the bite was!

I like my fishing like a whino likes his wine!
http://thermoclinelures.com
http://advancedtaxidermy.com
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide