Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 14 1 2 3 4 13 14
Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11253432 11/30/15 05:19 AM
lamoon78 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Cheap mono

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Backing on a reel [Re: timwins31] #11253476 11/30/15 09:08 AM
B
Bobby Milam Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
Originally Posted By: timwins31
Call me old fashioned, or wasteful, whatever. I still spool whatever line I'm using straight to the reel. All knots are weak points where something can and inevitably will go wrong. Fewer knots makes me feel better. And none of the line I use is very expensive, P Line CXX, Power Pro slick braid, and occasionally Big Game. . .I don't mind junking a little of it. Small price to pay for peace of mind.

Same here. when it gets low enough I rip it all off and juat put on new. have never used backing.

Re: Backing on a reel [Re: txmasterpo] #11253524 11/30/15 12:40 PM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted By: txmasterpo
Steez, my brother, you are a hard head and set in your ways! But you alright noidea

Eh. Not hard headed...just having fun. It's raining and cold. I should pace myself, it's gonna be a long few weeks.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11253543 11/30/15 01:03 PM
J
Jigfish Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
I use that red cheep mono from Wal-Mart. So when I make a long cast and the red really start to show I know I need to respool.

Thanks,

The weak call it obsession, the strong call it dedication!
Jigfish

Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11253575 11/30/15 01:32 PM
buton Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
i started to use backing line and it is wonderful. No waste of expensive fluro and you can spool more reels with the expensive line

Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11253588 11/30/15 01:41 PM
B
BODA Offline
Angler
Angler
B
tie it on the spool, electrical tape it on, 1 wrap holds it, may not be the best solution, but it has worked for me for years on all my reels

Re: Backing on a reel [Re: jafish] #11253617 11/30/15 02:02 PM
E
ezbassin Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
E
Originally Posted By: jafish
IF YOU USE BRAID ON THE SPOOL IT WILL SLIP UNLESS IT IS INSTALLED VERY TIGHT. When you set the hook the whole spool of line will turn. You can get a hold of the line and turn it with your fingers when the spool is locked. Install the braid very very tight on the spindel to get it to grip. Just saying.

The easy way to keep braid from slipping is to attach mono first to the spool, make 3-4 turns then tie on the braid. That small amount of mono is all you need to keep the braid from slipping.

Last edited by ezbassin; 11/30/15 02:03 PM.
Re: Backing on a reel [Re: SteezMacQueen] #11253691 11/30/15 02:53 PM
B
Brad R Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Originally Posted By: SteezMacQueen
Originally Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)
Go on YouTube and search for "Aaron Martins braid backing" he explains why u need to use braid and why backing is smart to use. It's stupid to put on 100yds of line when ur only gonna use half of it before ur spool get low. Once you spoil gets half full your casting distance decreases and your gear ratio slows down. Most my reels except for deep cranking and deep water tecnique reels I used half backing half mainline which is usually floro

Then there are those (me) that say using a spool that is heavy and has too much line capacity is stupid. So I use 50 sized spools that are aftermarket and hold less line and cast much better. Greatly increased distance and more accurate. Only downfall is my reels only hold 150' of line. Oh well. I guess I will never know the advantages of adding excess line to a heavy, slow spinning spool, only to crutch it with adding additional knots and line types. And tape... And backlashes. I'd rather spend an extra $100 on a better, much lighter, faster spool and a couple ceramic bearings. A few 1000 yard spools of InvisX will last me about 6 months of hard fishing. Using 18 combos.

Hmm? No, a smaller spool shouldn't add distance. Think of a reel spool as a simple lever, that is to say, the radius length created from the top edge of the line spooled up on it . . . down to its rotating center point, is nothing more than the equivalent of a rotating wrench. You have more power with a longer wrench handle than a shorter one. As one pulls off (casts off) line against spool resistance and the spool's diameter (radius)decreases, it creates more relative resistance, not less, on the puller and/or the lure flung as the line plays out. A larger spool is analogous to a longer wrench handle.

Brad

Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11254148 11/30/15 05:55 PM
Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life) Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Hey now steez is a 40 year old future bass master AOY he has way more experience than your physics!! Hahaha some of yall over think stuff. Only reason I back spools is to save money all this tiny details about spool weight, bearings, etc are overkill for us weekend anglers.

Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11254189 11/30/15 06:07 PM
L
lipjerk Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
L
I used mono backing for years, switched to braid this year.

Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11254231 11/30/15 06:23 PM
P
Possumkingdomtackle Offline
Angler
Angler
P
I back mine with cheap 14lb Cajun red from Walmart, I like quality products and backing simply allows me to use it on more than one reel

Https://www.facebook.com/possumkingdomtackle
Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)] #11254264 11/30/15 06:46 PM
B
Brad R Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Hey now steez is a 40 year old future bass master AOY he has way more experience than your physics!! Hahaha some of yall over think stuff. Only reason I back spools is to save money all this tiny details about spool weight, bearings, etc are overkill for us weekend anglers.

The physics aren't mine, just inviolable laws we have to work around. They don't bend.

Steez, by the way, may very well get longer casts the way he sets up. But, this might have to do with better "control" over the cast and the line, maybe being more comfortable really swinging it hard and having less wind knots and other worries.

What I do, at least on spinning tackle, is use quite a lot of mono as a backer, just like many do, to take up space. It is never going to get even close to coming off the reel. Then, I top off with more braid than I can cast off the arbor, quite a lot more, and I use a short fluorocarbon leader attached to that. I don't call my braid a backer because it comes off the reel on any casts of distance. So, it is my main line. My backer is way back there taking up space, possibly in rare circumstances, preventing slippage.

By the way, what Aaron Martens is doing is using a very long fluorocarbon "main line" tied to a braid backer on some of his baitcaster set-ups. He never even approaches casting off the braid, so we can call it a true backer. How can we be sure of this? His junction knot of choice: He uses a simple overhand knot at the braid/fluoro junction. If the braid had more than just a tiny touch of resistance on it, the knot would fail easily. After a long cast, he must have plenty of fluoro still wound on the spool protecting that knot.

Brad

Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brad R] #11254356 11/30/15 07:49 PM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted By: Brad R
Originally Posted By: SteezMacQueen
Go on YouTube and search for "Aaron Martins braid backing" he explains why u need to use braid and why backing is smart to use. It's stupid to put on 100yds of line when ur only gonna use half of it before ur spool get low. Once you spoil gets half full your casting distance decreases and your gear ratio slows down. Most my reels except for deep cranking and deep water tecnique reels I used half backing half mainline which is usually floro

Then there are those (me) that say using a spool that is heavy and has too much line capacity is stupid. So I use 50 sized spools that are aftermarket and hold less line and cast much better. Greatly increased distance and more accurate. Only downfall is my reels only hold 150' of line. Oh well. I guess I will never know the advantages of adding excess line to a heavy, slow spinning spool, only to crutch it with adding additional knots and line types. And tape... And backlashes. I'd rather spend an extra $100 on a better, much lighter, faster spool and a couple ceramic bearings. A few 1000 yard spools of InvisX will last me about 6 months of hard fishing. Using 18 combos.

Hmm? No, a smaller spool shouldn't add distance. Think of a reel spool as a simple lever, that is to say, the radius length created from the top edge of the line spooled up on it . . . down to its rotating center point, is nothing more than the equivalent of a rotating wrench. You have more power with a longer wrench handle than a shorter one. As one pulls off (casts off) line against spool resistance and the spool's diameter (radius)decreases, it creates more relative resistance, not less, on the puller and/or the lure flung as the line plays out. A larger spool is analogous to a longer wrench handle.

Brad

I didn't say a "smaller" spool. I said a lighter shallower spool. Same overall diameter. Just lighter. Faster. Easier to control. And yes, I do get more distance. And almost never a over run spool. Occasionally it happens when I sling a tore up Senko and the line suddenly is moving way too slow for the speed of the spool.

Also, the only reason I brought up the spool mods I have is some kid said the word stupid. It kinda rubbed me the wrong way. Haha.

"President of a school bass club"

Can't say we had them back then. I had to complete against guys with way more experience. As for he AOY smart [censored] comments. I know I have won enough to buy me a boat this year. And I missed winning one outright by an unfortunate cull clip breaking at weigh in.

And.....umm.... I've been in the money 7 out of 9 tourneys this year. I have 7 top 20's. 6 top 5's and 5 wins.

I think I'm doing ok for not taking bass fishing class at Baylor.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11254584 11/30/15 09:55 PM
B
Brad R Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Steez, good point. If the spool itself has the same diameter, just shallower accepting less wound line, the effect other than a tiny bit more width owing to line wrapping up, would create less resistance to the lure as it flies off dragging line behind it.

And, I don't know if you rely on brakes or magnets or your thumb, but a lighter set up like yours, after modification, would respond faster . . . so less over-runs.

I have always thought it pretty odd that the reels often hold multiples of what most of us can or would want or need to cast. Maybe that is a hold-over from monofilament days of the past. . . or just to sell more line.

Brad

Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11254603 11/30/15 10:04 PM
U
Undertaker56 Offline
Angler
Angler
U
I just use a 7'6 rod and get some really long cast... Don't use backing..

I'm the last one to let you down!!!

Yes I am a real Undertaker..
I will give up my rod when you pry my cold dead hands off of it!!!!
Page 2 of 14 1 2 3 4 13 14
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide