Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Hand washing [Re: Garvin] #11207984 11/05/15 11:23 PM
04champ Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
when I really need a bite I put in a fat dip of Copenhagen

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Hand washing [Re: Garvin] #11208031 11/05/15 11:56 PM
Donald Harper Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
The human order is the most offensive scent to all species of fish. Salt water fisherman that deep sea fish have been using gloves for a long time to bait up the hooks and do the tying.

My biotech that makes my 3 scents has run many test with the human scent and when it is present in the line up of chum bags the Bass will move away. Bass can smell and will follow the scent trail as he disperses the scent into a 100 ft. tank. As he snakes the tube putting out the scent from one end of the tank to the other, zig-zagging the trail from one side to the other all the way to the other end; as the Bass enters they will follow that same path to the other end.

He says, he is surprised we catch anything after handling our baits; so you should be using some kind of scent to mask the human order.

Each person you work with holds some promise to your future success.
Websiite Sponsors:
www.eletewater.com - Staying Hydrated
www.lakeoviachic.com - Booking Mexico Trips
20 Hot Spot Mapping - GPS Contour Chips - Custom Spinner Baits - Jigs -Spooks
Pure Extracts - Minnow-Night Crawler-Crayfish-Craylic

Re: Hand washing [Re: RedRaider3933] #11208162 11/06/15 01:07 AM
T
timwins31 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: RedRaider3933
It's a fish. Don't over think it.

Horrible advice. If you don't think human scents bother wild animals, you must not be much of a hunter.

Get one of these, they're amazing.

http://www.amazon.com/Amco-8402-Rub-Away-Bar/dp/B000F8JUJY

Re: Hand washing [Re: Garvin] #11208174 11/06/15 01:13 AM
T
timwins31 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Garvin
Does anyone else wash their hands before handling lures? I carry a bar of Primos hunting soap on the boat and wash my hands with lake water before rigging up. I don't wear latex gloves or wash continuously throughout the day unless I get gasoline or some other noxious crud on my hands. I was wondering what your opinion on negative scents & odors is.

• Does anyone else take the time to wash up before fishing? ALWAYS
  • Do you believe human scent has a negative effect on bass? Definitely
  • Do you believe human and other scents/odors (L-Serine, gas, oil, etc.) can be transferred by handling lures enough to negatively impact fishing success? Definitely
  • Do you believe commercial or homemade attractant/scent can mask or diffuse negative scents/odors? Definitely
  • If you do wash, what kind of soap do you use? I use all kinds of different soap. Any is better than none
  • Do you believe there are kinds of soap that can actually contaminate a lure and impart it with a negative scent? Probably but I don't have any evidence to back it up
  • Do you wear gloves when handling lures/tackle to avoid odor contamination? No but it's probably a very good idea

Inquiring minds want to know...

Re: Hand washing [Re: Garvin] #11208228 11/06/15 01:37 AM
N
Neches Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
N
The best fisherman on this planet are the Elite Pros. Unless they keep it a secret and tell them not to film them I have never seen KVD or Denny or Clunn or anyone else on the Elites wash their hands with any scent killing soap. Its a freaking fish with a brain the size of a pea, it will bite baits that look nothing like anything that swims or lives in the water. ITS NOT A DEER.

But if you want to wash your hands with scent killing soap, then by all means, get after it.

Re: Hand washing [Re: Garvin] #11208261 11/06/15 01:50 AM
Donald Harper Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
You do everything you can to keep the human scent off your baits and I know for a fact you will catch twice as many fish. I have stated all the test we have done on here before. You don't have to believe the results if you wish. I fish where we catch 100 bass per day and for 30 years have seen our catches double by taking these precautions. Actually all we have to do is use packages dosed in Pure Extract.

I find it a little time consuming to just wash your hands several times a day. This is what scent is for and it has to be some strong stuff to get the job done. This is why I use Pure Extracts and not just scent then you can handle the baits to put them on.

Each person you work with holds some promise to your future success.
Websiite Sponsors:
www.eletewater.com - Staying Hydrated
www.lakeoviachic.com - Booking Mexico Trips
20 Hot Spot Mapping - GPS Contour Chips - Custom Spinner Baits - Jigs -Spooks
Pure Extracts - Minnow-Night Crawler-Crayfish-Craylic

Re: Hand washing [Re: timwins31] #11208306 11/06/15 02:06 AM
Garvin Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
Originally Posted By: timwins31
Does anyone else wash their hands before handling lures? I carry a bar of Primos hunting soap on the boat and wash my hands with lake water before rigging up. I don't wear latex gloves or wash continuously throughout the day unless I get gasoline or some other noxious crud on my hands. I was wondering what your opinion on negative scents & odors is.

• Do you believe human and other scents/odors (L-Serine, gas, oil, etc.) can be transferred by handling lures enough to negatively impact fishing success? Definitely
  • Do you believe commercial or homemade attractant/scent can mask or diffuse negative scents/odors? Definitely
  • If you do wash, what kind of soap do you use? I use all kinds of different soap. Any is better than none
  • Do you believe there are kinds of soap that can actually contaminate a lure and impart it with a negative scent? Probably but I don't have any evidence to back it up
  • Do you wear gloves when handling lures/tackle to avoid odor contamination? No but it's probably a very good idea

Thanks for taking the time to address all those points.

Last edited by Garvin; 11/06/15 02:07 AM.

Just ONCE I'd like for someone to call me "Sir" without adding, "please stop making a scene."

"The problem with quotes on the internet is having to ascertain whether or not they are genuine." -- Abraham Lincoln
Re: Hand washing [Re: Garvin] #11208428 11/06/15 02:41 AM
S
SpiderJig Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
I'm not a full time cigarette smoker. But every time I have smoked while fishing I have caught most of my bigger fish. I don't think any scent deters a fish from biting.

PB- 10lb 5oz Purtis Creek 7-25-15
Re: Hand washing [Re: RedRaider3933] #11208441 11/06/15 02:49 AM
T
T54 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
T

Re: Hand washing [Re: T54] #11208449 11/06/15 02:50 AM
Mark Perry Offline
Super Freak
Super Freak
Originally Posted By: T54

thumb

Re: Hand washing [Re: Jigman] #11208460 11/06/15 02:53 AM
F
Fast Lane Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
F
Originally Posted By: Jigman
I make sure i handle my JOHNSON before fishing, im looking for Big Momma!

roflmao

Re: Hand washing [Re: Garvin] #11208514 11/06/15 03:12 AM
T
timwins31 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: timwins31

Thanks for taking the time to address all those points.

No problem. And just disregard the people saying don't overthink it. I deal in facts and science, and science has shown time and time again that bass HATE human scent. Virtually all animals do. If they want to be willingly ignorant I'm not going to stop them, but I wouldn't suggest joining them. Thinking about these exact things have made me a much better fisherman.

Re: Hand washing [Re: Neches] #11208533 11/06/15 03:18 AM
T
timwins31 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Neches
The best fisherman on this planet are the Elite Pros. Unless they keep it a secret and tell them not to film them I have never seen KVD or Denny or Clunn or anyone else on the Elites wash their hands with any scent killing soap. Its a freaking fish with a brain the size of a pea, it will bite baits that look nothing like anything that swims or lives in the water. ITS NOT A DEER.

But if you want to wash your hands with scent killing soap, then by all means, get after it.

For the record, a trophy bass is very much like a trophy buck. They don't get to be giants by luck alone. They travel away from the pack, they live isolated, they avoid commonly traveled routes, they typically feed and move at night, and they typically have stronger smell senses than the others. I could go on and on, but hey, what do I know.

Re: Hand washing [Re: Garvin] #11208534 11/06/15 03:18 AM
P
Possumkingdomtackle Offline
Angler
Angler
P
I've wondered the same thing after putting sunscreen on

Https://www.facebook.com/possumkingdomtackle
Re: Hand washing [Re: Garvin] #11208542 11/06/15 03:22 AM
P
Possumkingdomtackle Offline
Angler
Angler
P
I think most reaction baits it doesn't matter but where I do think it matters is maybe worm fishing where you want the fish to hang on to it long enough to set the hook

Https://www.facebook.com/possumkingdomtackle
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide