Forums59
Topics1,039,328
Posts13,962,921
Members144,199
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: am I the only one? and is this normal? [Re: mad_catter1990] #11053908 08/20/15 08:36 PM
H
HeavyLead Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
H
Lots of good stuff here. Anything that inordinately takes your focus off of what you should be doing is not good. If "addiction" doesn't quite fit, us religious folks call these things "idols". Lord knows I have plenty of those.

Wet Rooster Jigs Fishing Super Store
Re: am I the only one? and is this normal? [Re: Fishin' Nut] #11053982 08/20/15 09:07 PM
M
mad_catter1990 Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
M
Originally Posted By: Fishin' Nut
Try some form of behavior modification therapy. Don't use fishing as an escape, use it as a reward. You say your wife is your primary care giver. Then wake up each morning with a goal to do something to make her life easier. Ask her, what can I do to help you. Accomplish it, then reward yourself.

I'm glad you brought this up...because that's exactly what the group that I just started attending is for.....and one thing I noticed in the short time attending the group is unlike every other treatment I've had which I've had over 20 inpatient treatments. 4 of which were over 6 months. Never once did they try to find the cause to my issues.. instead all they did was treat the symptoms..

PB flathead- 72#
PB Blue cat- 56#
PB Channel- 22#
Re: am I the only one? and is this normal? [Re: DavidWhatley] #11053990 08/20/15 09:11 PM
M
mad_catter1990 Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
M
Originally Posted By: DavidWhatley
You say you used to drink. Go to AA by chance? If so, your still welcome here. Also, if you didnt go to AA, then start, "the only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking".
Get some phone numbers of people here, and talk to them, just be considerate of their time. Your welcome to have mine, PM me if you want it. I spend a lot of time in the car so, I have time to talk.
Volunteer somewhere, anywhere. Doesnt matter. The key is to be busy. Go to the local walmart and gather all the loose carts in the parking lot up. Call your local church, they are always looking for volunteers.
David

I used to drink. But only because I was a dumb teenager and young adult..I never had a problem with drinking. It was my behavior when I drank that was the problem..lol. that's why I said screw it. I don't need it nor want it..and we are lo mi ng into churches to attend. And I volunteered at a nursing home when I was 15 and loved it. So I might look into something like that...I'll pm you

PB flathead- 72#
PB Blue cat- 56#
PB Channel- 22#
Re: am I the only one? and is this normal? [Re: mad_catter1990] #11053994 08/20/15 09:12 PM
rdmac Offline
Angler
Angler
Fishin' Nut, You hit the nail on the head.

God, family, fishing!
22' Bay Stealth CC 200hp Yamaha Saltwater Series
Re: am I the only one? and is this normal? [Re: mad_catter1990] #11054019 08/20/15 09:29 PM
C
central texas Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
First of all THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE ! Secondly hang in there ....... flag

Guns 2 worst enemies rust & politicians !
Re: am I the only one? and is this normal? [Re: mad_catter1990] #11055304 08/21/15 03:34 PM
TwoLakes Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Thank you for your service to our country!!! I'm truly sorry that service has turned into an extreme burden for you. I think you are on the right path and doing what you can to figure out how to get better and begin to heal.

I have a somewhat compulsive personality. I love to fish and find that I could fish all of the time if I didn't have responsibilities. My wife and I both work demanding full time jobs and we're raising an 8 year old daughter. Between work and raising our daughter, I don't get to fish nearly as much as I would like.

I agree with Fishin Nut. If you could plan to spend "special" time together with your family once or twice a week, your wife might understand that you are making an effort and relax on the fishing subject. In all fairness, she didn't sign up to be a caregiver and you didn't sign up to have severe PTSD. It's one of life's unplanned situations that you're now forced to deal with.

Working through issues like this requires compromise from both sides. It sounds like she's waiting for you to make an effort to spend more family time with her and her kids. Doing that might begin to shorten the divide that now exists.

Most importantly, you have to continue to get better. Maybe this new group will help you.

Good Luck!!!

Last edited by TwoLakes; 08/21/15 03:35 PM.
Re: am I the only one? and is this normal? [Re: mad_catter1990] #11055372 08/21/15 04:05 PM
C
CharlieA Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
I to am a DAV and on several meds. Not only do I have PTSD but also TBI. I have been dealing with this since 1970, but our wonderful VA didn't see fit to give me any kind of help till 2012. I did get some help for Depression and Anxiety from civilian Doctors. From my experience, it take a long time and a lot of trial & error to get meds balanced right so don't give up and don't blame the Dr. have you wife be active in you recovery. She should go with you to Dr. appointments Ect. so she can better understand the problem and to be able to help you with meds and such. feel free to PM me. if you do we may talk on the phone. It is a long road to recovery. but don't give up there is hope and you wife is an important part of your recovery if she is willing.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most !!
Re: am I the only one? and is this normal? [Re: mad_catter1990] #11058968 08/23/15 07:31 PM
B
BankAngler50 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
Mad_Carter, lots of good advice here, i hope you find helps to overcome your life's challenges. I read your post a few days already, wanted to tell you something that is helpful but I know almost nothing about your medical conditions... so I'm gonna tell you what I know a lot, I mean A LOT, about sitting at a lake bank either looking at my poles or just staring out to the open water...

1. No, going fishing is not like narcotic drug, an escape yes, a good rejuvenating relaxing escape without any medical side effects.
2. No, you're not the only one who wants to go fishing all the time even though we know that we're not going to catch anything, but just want the lake to surprise us. wink
3. No, don't go fishing just to hide from your family. When you're at the lake do fish with relaxing attitude, move around a little, do some exercises, or do some breathing exercises... and remember you are here, at a lake for healing purpose, not running away from reality.
4. Yes, do spend more time with your three stepdaughter and wife, they need you. Be brave, it's good to be wanted. I'm not an expert but I am sure she loves you and want a long term relationship with you, and you to be the father figure of her children.
5. Yes, please believe in yourself, you can do it all, and keep fishing. thumb It's good for you, in moderation. wink

Last edited by BankAngler50; 08/23/15 07:40 PM.

Why do I go fishing? To catch a box of fish and/or some quality time under the sun. Thank Heaven I never fail fishing in Texas, catching box fish or plenty of sunburn.
Re: am I the only one? and is this normal? [Re: mad_catter1990] #11060117 08/24/15 05:56 AM
Uncle Zeek Online Happy
aka "Dad"
Online Happy
aka "Dad"
There are a lot worse things to be addicted to than fishing. Try taking your wife with you & using the time with her to talk, listen to music while you fish, etc. Make her part of it.

Even if she doesn't want to fish, you might find that she would enjoy keeping you company while you fish.

"Decency is not news; it is buried in the obituaries --but it is a force stronger than crime" ~ Robert A. Heinlein
Artim Law Firm, PLLC
Estate planning & tax attorney
2250 Morriss Road, Suite 205, Flower Mound, Texas 75028
972-746-0758 mobile
zac@artimlegal.com
Re: am I the only one? and is this normal? [Re: mad_catter1990] #11060135 08/24/15 10:14 AM
C
Chemdawg Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
The resources are out there , if you are 100% you autacly get meen a cop pay even if you do its 10$ 12 mam that i s not much you wast more in gas then you do going to your appointments there shoule be not co pay if have medct to try cae again $10is nothing and i you live being 42 mile to the nearest medical facility you can pic your provider. i get 70% from the Army and 100% unemployable frm the VA wich wont u i jut u my tracer. you are ussing fishing as an out let have hing ptsd you ae seccepital to impala control an one your your impulses me fish for other it working anthig to keep you from doing remedied f th pat. i sen my 2 1/2 years ether on 14-16 portals on ton top of ling radio on have and anding out show from kids wich i was shot over a par of shawl what the guy was thinking i hav no idea head uotknow he was not going to live thtoughthat. i had to appla my va rate 4 tims while i as still on active duty . i would not sign it theni fought with the va of 2 yet for my 200$ in stead of fishing focus on you faily is catch a few fish work loos the over it

Re: am I the only one? and is this normal? [Re: mad_catter1990] #11060573 08/24/15 03:46 PM
B
Big Sam Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Maybe Mad-catter is experiencing some serenity and ease when fishing & forgetting about the daily grind.....I know i do when i go.....everyone has made some suggestions.. i wish i lived down that way i would take ya fishing in the boat anytime..perhaps someone is willing to ask the mad-catter fishing and become a new friend thumb

If it ain't broke don't fix it...but go ahead and work on it anyway.....
Re: am I the only one? and is this normal? [Re: mad_catter1990] #11060704 08/24/15 04:53 PM
I
iangler365 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
I
Thank you for your service. I am a supporter of Fishing for PTSD Recovery aka Hookset Brothers.
I live in Denton, If you are interested in fishing with other vets struggling with PTSD Recovery let me know, I can arrange a meeting.

If this Hat is missing, I'm Gone FISHING
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide